SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: Replace Headlight Bulb Without Bumper Removal?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
car
Replace Headlight Bulb Without Bumper Removal?

Okay, dumb question maybe, but my low bean headlight went out in my '09 slk 350. I'm trying to figure out an easy way to replace it, but everything I'm reading leads to removing the grill/bumper. Does anyone have secrets on how to replace the bulb without tearing the car apart? I can't see to fit my hand all the eat in to get to the back of it.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:16 AM

Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Mercedes E220d AMG Line Estate (S213) and Mercedes E220d AMG Line Cabriolet (A238)
So you can take of the bumper as this makes twisting the bulb back into place much more easy. When you open the bonnet there are two air intake hoses (?) clipped into the radiator housing - pull them out from their housing towards the rear of the car (squeezing them a bit helps and you can be fairly brutal you won't break anything). You can then slide your hand to the back of the headlamp unit more easily. Twist off the back cover (1/4 turn anti clockwise) and you can access the bulb. it's not great and you definitely need to remove all rings/watches and roll you sleeve up above the elbow as space is tight. If this doesn't work then:

Turn the front wheels to the opposite side of the car you are working on. Remove the three screws holding the wheel well splash guard to the bumper and wing (2 x to the bumper I think and 1 x screw about 2cm above). Lever it out of the way and reach up to the back of the light. It may be helpful to have someone hold the splash guard as they do tend to fight their way back in place.

​​​​​​​Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
gonegolf (03-10-2019)