SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: Drove SLK350, amazing but small trunk

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 06:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E320
Drove SLK350, amazing but small trunk

Just drove an Iridium Silver silver, 6 speed manual transmission. Amazing power. Very impressive. We did notice that some things that used to be standard on older SLKs are now options but still the price is mostly reasonable. One thing my wife did not like was the texture of the dash and door panels. Sort of a suede look. I am neutral on that but that was her biggest dislike.

Then to the trunk. We have a special case because one member of the family is in a wheelchair. His wheelchair is one of the fancy ones with removable wheels and most everything else comes off as well. It fits very nicely with room to spare in our present 1999 SLK230. When we first saw the SLK350 trunk, we thought there would be a lot more room and it should go in with no problems but after a half an hour of every which way with my wife and the salesman helping, no way is it going to fit.

I would guess a wheelchair is not a problem for most people but I think it points out the the trunk is not that big and shaped differently than the older SLKs. It does appear that there is more room with the top down than the older SLKs but it does not help our problem. Even if you just plan on carrying golf clubs or something like that, check it out before taking the big step.

We will probably buy one anyway but just did not want someone to be disappointed when it is too late.

Last edited by pfphipps; 09-10-2004 at 06:25 PM.
Old 09-11-2004, 12:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 C250 sport
Originally Posted by pfphipps
Just drove an Iridium Silver silver, 6 speed manual transmission. Amazing power. Very impressive. We did notice that some things that used to be standard on older SLKs are now options but still the price is mostly reasonable. One thing my wife did not like was the texture of the dash and door panels. Sort of a suede look. I am neutral on that but that was her biggest dislike.

Then to the trunk. We have a special case because one member of the family is in a wheelchair. His wheelchair is one of the fancy ones with removable wheels and most everything else comes off as well. It fits very nicely with room to spare in our present 1999 SLK230. When we first saw the SLK350 trunk, we thought there would be a lot more room and it should go in with no problems but after a half an hour of every which way with my wife and the salesman helping, no way is it going to fit.

I would guess a wheelchair is not a problem for most people but I think it points out the the trunk is not that big and shaped differently than the older SLKs. It does appear that there is more room with the top down than the older SLKs but it does not help our problem. Even if you just plan on carrying golf clubs or something like that, check it out before taking the big step.

We will probably buy one anyway but just did not want someone to be disappointed when it is too late.
I just sat in an iridium silver/black, auto SLK350 today at MB of Fresno, and I agree with your wife, the look of the doors and dash(rough texture) isn't very appealing, and when you look at it it seems like it's hard plastic, but when you touch it, it almost feels like soft-touch rubber...otherwise, awesome car...
Old 09-12-2004, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 SLK350; 00 Lexus GS400; 05 Corvette
*Anything* beats the look of the old vinyl painted plastic which chipped all the time.

The flat black surfaces will mean less reflections and better visibility.

Think about the alternative... cheap reflective vinyl or plastic. I think the interior is a *vast* improvement over its predecessor.

Also, the trunk did look less deep when we test drove one this week... not a good trend. My wife could fit oodles of business equipment and groceries in the SLK230 trunk... but not sure if it will hold as much as before.