SLK/R171: SLK350 interior improvements?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 06:24 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK350
SLK350 interior improvements?

Went to the dealership today with my buddy in his 2004 Acura TL. After hopping out of the TL and hopping into the SLK demo car, I was pretty disappointed with the SLK interior. For a $50k car, the details were sorely lacking. (Even C240 looked better.) The painted silver trims looked downright cheap in the sunlight. The chrome accent on the vent levelers were placed haphazardly (didn't line up). The real surprising part was how easily the sidewalls were scuffed. When I first test drove the car last month, it was literally brand new. Now there were scuff marks everywhere. Granted the car is a demo and people didn't care, but still, one would hope it would last more than a month. Before I was ambivalent about the faux-suede dash. Now I know I don't like it. It just looked goofy in the sunlight. And it's going to be a pain to keep clean.

So now I'm thinking aftermarket improvements. A few things right off the top of my head:

1. Have the whole interior coated with silica, prevents scuffing and dust accumulating in the "suede".

2. Replace the painted silver trims with patterned aluminum. Not sure what to do with the handles (where the window buttons are) though.

3. Replace the radio display cover with something that you can actually see in the sunlight.

Any other ideas? And does anyone know where I can get these stuff?
Old 10-25-2004, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by WBear
Went to the dealership today with my buddy in his 2004 Acura TL. After hopping out of the TL and hopping into the SLK demo car, I was pretty disappointed with the SLK interior. For a $50k car, the details were sorely lacking. (Even C240 looked better.) The painted silver trims looked downright cheap in the sunlight. The chrome accent on the vent levelers were placed haphazardly (didn't line up). The real surprising part was how easily the sidewalls were scuffed. When I first test drove the car last month, it was literally brand new. Now there were scuff marks everywhere. Granted the car is a demo and people didn't care, but still, one would hope it would last more than a month. Before I was ambivalent about the faux-suede dash. Now I know I don't like it. It just looked goofy in the sunlight. And it's going to be a pain to keep clean.

So now I'm thinking aftermarket improvements. A few things right off the top of my head:

1. Have the whole interior coated with silica, prevents scuffing and dust accumulating in the "suede".

2. Replace the painted silver trims with patterned aluminum. Not sure what to do with the handles (where the window buttons are) though.

3. Replace the radio display cover with something that you can actually see in the sunlight.

Any other ideas? And does anyone know where I can get these stuff?
Go to any custom garage shop and they will do what you want, but that is if you got the $$$.
Old 11-02-2004, 11:20 AM
Almost a Member!

350 SLK on waiting list, expected March '05
interior makeover

I agree.

This is the one thing the Jermey Clarkson article goes to town on.

It's like they dumbed down the quality of materials to justify the price of the even higher cost SL's.

So rather than pay $$$ for custom one off's, I am sure there will be existing operations out there identifying oppertunities like this and producing replacement and higher quality facias. After such furnishings are not warrenty voiding.

So after market interior manu's, come and announce yoursleves you have some prospect right here!

Last edited by bsharp; 11-02-2004 at 11:23 AM.