SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: Upgrading Audio in New SLK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Upgrading Audio in New SLK

I'm gutted as I never realised I couldn't play MP3's in the SLK I have bought - due to arrive in a few weeks time.

Ideally I'd love to put in a hard disk based system but have no idea how to go about it as I don't want to rip the dash apart and risk not being able to put the original equipment back in before I sell the car in 18months or so.

I would also consider an iPOD solution as a final resort.

Can anyone give me some advice? Have any of you changed the standard stereo that comes with the car?
Old 11-17-2004, 11:10 AM
Almost a Member!

350 SLK on waiting list, expected March '05
hmm i wouldn't

https://mbworld.org/forums/slk-class-r171/87356-ipod-slk-r171-standard-stereo.html this thread has the answer to the iPod route.

As for changing the car stereo, just for HD/MP3, I would question the benifit over using an ipod - especially considering it is unlikly any replacemnet unit will have an adapter available for the MB wheel buttons and then the need mate it the phone kit (if you have that).

Then you have the style mis-match. I do not know but would imagine MB or someone will have a replcement chassis that will sitin place of your Audio 20 and allow a regular 1/2 din unit to be put in place.

But really the benifit less steering control vs just using the Aux input (which i so hope exists as the linked thread suggests, photos anyone?) imho has no value.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:03 PM

W210 E320, SLK55 AMG
If it were just a regular DIN slot, then I would just get one of these:

http://www.dension.com/main.php?pageid=49&topid=42

It's completely self-contained and usability is much better than an iPod. It has a 4x35W amp and FM radio built in, as well as up to 100GB hard disk. The disk just slots into the head unit and is easily extractable, with a USB2.0 interface for copying stuff onto it at home. I'm not sure if you can get an adapter plate for a regular DIN mount yet for the SLK though. I'm surprised Mercedes-Benz are not very innovative when it comes to ICE. Playing mp3s off a DVD or CD is all very well, but that's been possible for years, and it's not a substitute for a proper hard disk based system. Not even close, in fact.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:50 PM

iPods are MP3 Players. One of the salesman told me their is a ipod or mp3 player connection in the dashboard. I got the 6 disc cd changer so maybe it is in that.
Old 11-19-2004, 03:14 AM

Thank you

The iPOD will look awful with the wires showing etc and I really don't want to cut the dash but perhaps I'll have no choice. In addition, the sound won't pack the punch that I would want to.

Still I may just opt to put the SLK plate in when it comes out and fit a Kenwood Head DVD Unit and Keg. Given the size of the boot I'll have to stick to the Pioneer 10cm sub to give it that little more.

Thank you for your replies,
J
Old 11-19-2004, 04:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by jasel
The iPOD will look awful with the wires showing etc and I really don't want to cut the dash but perhaps I'll have no choice. In addition, the sound won't pack the punch that I would want to.

Still I may just opt to put the SLK plate in when it comes out and fit a Kenwood Head DVD Unit and Keg. Given the size of the boot I'll have to stick to the Pioneer 10cm sub to give it that little more.

Thank you for your replies,
J

why haven't you ordered the COMAND unit in the first place?

Last edited by SLK55_AMG; 11-19-2004 at 04:34 AM.
Old 11-19-2004, 03:23 PM

Cause I wanted a hard disk based system and have ended up with a mess - my fault for leaving it too damn late - a fool I am!!
Old 11-19-2004, 04:34 PM
Almost a Member!

hardisk based system with wifi.

I'd really like a wifi based HDD system in my car, principly because both at work and home my car is parked within WiFi range, it would also be useful for backing up my most important data for DR purposes - and another extreme ideal would be a capbility to record video from each journey, say with fixed cameras located on the car... I am actually seriously considering the latter - but for simplicity as an indepenant rather than intergrated solution.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SLK55 AMG
you need a Maybach then
Old 11-20-2004, 01:39 PM
Almost a Member!

maybach or 350

Originally Posted by SLK55_AMG
you need a Maybach then
:p SLK55 thank you - well if you kind people want to paypal me the additional funds over the 350 I'll change my order :p