SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: Sirius Radio

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 05:52 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'01 BMW 330Ci Dinan Signiture series(S) SLK 350 6Spd. CAPRI BLUE AMG, Lighting pkg., heating pkg.
Sirius Radio

Does anyone have the Sirius Sat. Radio installed? I was wondering about the Antenna. I assume it installs on trunk. Any info.?
Old 12-28-2004, 07:29 PM

06 SLK55 AMG Firemist/Blk
Yes, and it's to too large and black. BTW mine is a brand new VPC install.

Old 01-08-2005, 12:21 PM
Almost a Member!

'01 BMW 330Ci Dinan Signiture series(S) SLK 350 6Spd. CAPRI BLUE AMG, Lighting pkg., heating pkg.
FYI

I contacted Sirius and they are working on an internal antenna that's not available yet. see attached.

Thanks, we got your email! At SIRIUS, we appreciate the time you have
taken to contact us regarding an interior mount antenna. The SIRIUS
Interior Glass Mounted Antenna, or SIGMA was developed by SIRIUS and its
antenna partner RecepTec, to provide a distinct aesthetic advantage over
exterior mounted antennas currently in use. SIGMA is mounted in the
shaded sun band of a vehicle's front windshield, has no exposed wiring
and is unobtrusive. We regret to inform you that this innovative new
antenna is not yet available for purchase. Please continue to visit our
Web site for updates as they become available.

We are dedicated to providing quality service and customer satisfaction.
We encourage comments on how we can improve our service.

Sincerely,

Erica
SIRIUS Customer Care Agent

Last edited by bigciti; 01-08-2005 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-08-2005, 12:44 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
BMW M850i Gran Coupe
Originally Posted by bigciti
Does anyone have the Sirius Sat. Radio installed? I was wondering about the Antenna. I assume it installs on trunk. Any info.?
I have a 2004 S500 and I had the sat radio installed last spring. I had the trunk mounted "glob" installed AND painted brilliant silver by my MBZ dealer. The dealer GM told me he just couldn't let the car go with "that black thing on the trunk". The radio works great and the "paint" has never affected the reception.

If you are looking for alternative installations (antennas) search the word "terk" on this site and you will get a myriad of threads. The "SL" installations are particularly interesting.

After you get the Sirius you will forget that you have a CD changer or AM/FM. It is THAT good !
Old 01-10-2005, 07:18 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
Just saw this thread and wanted to chime in...
Go aftermarket with your antenna! Use a sirius micro antenna, and get a splitter. It will work perfectly. The rest of the kit is installed normally, but adding the splitter and antenna is easy. Put the antenna in the left grille in the hood. Its just for appearance, and is empty. The reception should be fine from there too.
I personally don't recommend painting the factory style antenna... the metallic paints seem to hurt reception in my area.
My dealer now offers these aftermarket antennas as an option on all sirius installations, and I do all of them myself. No problems, fault codes, or ugly antennas!
Old 01-16-2005, 08:27 PM

What should I do?

I just bought an iridium silver SLK and got the Sirius option. The car comes in in about a month. I agree the trunk antenna is ugly, is there anything I can tell my dealer before the car comes in to have them get a different antenna or place the antenna elsewhere?
Old 01-16-2005, 09:38 PM

Slk 230 & CLK500
Originally Posted by merrick2821
I just bought an iridium silver SLK and got the Sirius option. The car comes in in about a month. I agree the trunk antenna is ugly, is there anything I can tell my dealer before the car comes in to have them get a different antenna or place the antenna elsewhere?
Have the dealer paint the antenna same as the car.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by steve1173
Have the dealer paint the antenna same as the car.
If you use OEM paint in iridium silver, it will partially block the signal and lead to worse reception performance.

-s-
Old 01-17-2005, 12:33 AM

sl and M-class E320 4Matic SLK350
Creative thinking

Remember how the classic MG's had little racks on the trunk lid on which you could strap a small suitcase? I'll bet one could cleverly design something along that line that would disguise the black bump of the Sirius antenna. It would likely need to be of a very low profile (but obviously could at least be the height of the antenna) so as not to interfere with the folding mechanism when the top is lifted. Anyone with a classic parts catalogue ( even JC Whitney?) and a little time to photoshop could probably give us a look.

Heck, it would even be nice to have the rack actually be functional as there are times one would like to have a little extra room for luggage anyway.

Last edited by northbenz; 01-17-2005 at 12:41 AM.
Old 01-23-2005, 01:46 AM

photoshop?

Anyone with the time or inclination to photoshop a rear deck luggage carrier that would disguise the Sirium antenna - and hopefully actually allow a small piece of luggage to be tied on when the top is up?
Old 01-29-2005, 03:19 AM

Weight is only limit to placing rack on trunk lid!

Somehow I had it in mind that lifting the top would require a luggage carrier afixed to the trunk lid to be only as high as the ugly Sirius antenna it would be designed to hide. However there is no such limitation as the trunk lid merely folds backward when the top comes down and then repositions itself as the trunk lid. My guess is that the folding braces and motors that lift and lower the trunk lid should well be capable of another 15 or 20 pounds of weight for the rack. Howver, before actually strapping a suitcase onto the luggage carrier, prudence might suggest waiting until the trunk was in a closed position before strapping the suitcase to the luggage rack.

Come on - someone here has to have a good photoshop program where you could photoshop on one of these retro luggage carriers so we could get an idea of whether this is the ultimate aesthetic solution to the ugly antenna dilemna.
Old 01-29-2005, 08:22 PM

photoshop anyone?

Didn't the Mazda sports car offer the option of a luggage rack on the trunk lid? Seems like a lot of the original MG's had one.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:11 AM

2004 S500 4Matic
Does anyone know what part number I need to install the Sirius radio in my 2004 S500?