SLK-Class (R171) 2004-2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK/R171: need advice - audi tt vs slk350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 11:58 AM
mnt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need advice - audi tt vs slk350

Hi all - I'm new to this forum, but I'm planning to buy a new car this week (by Feb 6) and I could use some advice! There are two cars in the running - the new Audi TT w/DSG and the SLK350. I've listed the major highlights below (from my perspective) but I would really appreciate some frank advice, since I'm getting cold feet, especially with these price tags. (A little history on me - had a Mustang GT, then an Audi TT 225HP [4 cyl turbo], then a Vette. For me - from now on no more American cars, and I definitely prefer the small roadsters, convertible is a must. I'm a one-car guy so this is my daily use car as well - but this is why I like nice cars, I commute 40 miles each way to work, 60% highway, 40% backroads and I like to really enjoy my drive so I'm happy when I get to work).

Audi TT:
Pros:
1. AWD - this is the big difference, if the SLK had AWD then it would be a no-brainer for me. I'm in NJ so we do get some snowy days, ice cold weather, and rain, so maybe someone could give me some thoughts on driving the SLK in the winter (snow/cold/rain) and give me a gauge of how much worse they found it than the Audi? (When snows are heavy I'm okay working from home.) Safety?
2. DSG - it's very impressive, I test drove it and in my opinion it holds up to its claims, but I had mixed feelings - I'm so used to stick that I felt like I wasn't really in control of the car. On the other hand the shifts were quick and seamless, which made automatic (sport mode of course) more comfortable but still left me feeling a bit artificial and kind of like I was cheating.

Cons:
1. I've had a TT before. Both a pro and a con - a pro because I had the TT for 3 years and loved it (not a huge fan of turbos though), a con because 3 years in the same car is a LOT for me, I like change.
2. Not (m)any bells & whistles. (no GPS, no integrated phone, etc.)

SLK350:
Pros:
1. New look, with the revamped model it's more unique than the TT (for now). It is a very attractive car. And I've never had one before.
2. Bells & whistles out to wazoo.
3. Hardtop convertible (wind noise, etc.)
Cons:
1. With my config about $6K more. Worth it if I like it.
2. Still stick (has its pros & cons).

I'm really 50/50 right now, so maybe some MB lovers can help sell me on the SLK350? (I always used to say that I'd love an MB if only they'd make one in stick, so I'm not sure why I'm so hesitant now...)

Thanks!
Old 01-30-2005, 01:00 PM
Banned

SLK 55 AMG
I have a SLK 55 AMG, Black Exterior/ Two Tone Black/White Interior, Premium Package, Lighting Package, Entertainment Package of Command w/ Nav-Upgrade, Airscarf, and I got the 16 spoke 18 inch AMG wheels chromed.

They are both good cars, but I think you underestimate the SLK 350. The SLK 350 has a lot fo safety features, it does good in the snow, I have seen pictures of it driven really hard on snow, and there was no stability loss. Every Mercedes comes with ESP (Electronic Stability Program), if you turn this off, then yes you have a chance of sliding, but you won't if it is on. You got ABS brakes and stuff, and this new SLK 350 and 55 AMG both have 6 airbags in a two seater roadster. There is on infront of you, another for the side thorax and head (window side), and the new airbag located under the wheel to protect your legs if the front gets crushed up really bad. I have seen people in accidents and there legs are always stuck because the front part of the car was pushed into the cabin. For the stick shift, the SLK 350 will have a 6 speed manual transsmision. And it is a really good gear shifting transsmision. Since that I have the SLK 55 AMG, it automaticly comes with the 7 speed automatic transsmision, and it is really good, the first 7 speed automatic gear shifting transsmision. I have an automatic transsmision and I can get 0 to 60 in 4.8 seconds, so don't say the SLK class has bad gear transsmisions.

Audit TT is a good choice too, but the body is weird looking. You will get more respect with the SLK 350. It is more rare, and when I mean rare, I mean people driving Mercedes. Where I live there are a lot of BMWs and AUDIs because they are cheaper than Mercedes. I see a lot of kids my age (17) to 25 years old driving AUDIs and BMWs. 90% of thenew BMWs I see are driven by ladies, 3 series mostly. The AUDIs are 50 and 50 with ladies and men.

The website with all the pictures of the SLK and in the snow ---mbslk.de
Snow pictures below

This picture shows how the car won't flip and it is maintained under control at high speeds while turning, not many cars can do that.

Last edited by Deuce; 01-30-2005 at 01:14 PM. Reason: error
Old 01-30-2005, 06:44 PM

SLK55
I currently own both...

Both are wonderful! But life is short and you've already had a TT. Get the SLK!

Old 01-30-2005, 06:46 PM
Almost a Member!

As far as the snow, ice go, equipping your SLK with snow tires is a must. Combined with the Mercedes ESP, the "Comfort Mode" (starts off in 2nd gear and has an additional different reverse gear for improved traction) the car will get around very well in snow and ice - until you hit snow so deep that you are exceeding the ground clearance of the car.

Not sure how long you plan to keep the car but the SLKs have always retained there value pretty well.

In rain situations, good tires (whether summer or winter) combined with the ESP provides excellent grip and safety. Turn off the ESP and you can slide a bit more and take more risk.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:53 AM

2005 SLK350
put it in dyno mode, and ESP is completely off (just dont forget to turn it off afterwards)

you said yourself you like change... so get the SLK, give mercedes a chance
Old 01-31-2005, 09:49 AM
mnt

Thanks for all of the advice so far. I'm going to test drive the SLK350 within the next two days, although I'm already starting to get sold on it, the more I read about it. Based on what you wrote, I should get a set of snow tires for this car - I've read several recommendations in different threads, including:

Blizzaks;
235/45/17 and 225/45/17 Kumho;
205/50-17 Pirelli Winter 210 SnowSport tires

Anybody else had experience w/these?
Also, I was considering the sport suspension, I was wondering if anyone has tried it both ways (with and w/o) and how big a difference there is, also how big a difference it makes in the car bottoming out on everything in the road (old vette problem I had).

Thanks again...
Old 01-31-2005, 03:16 PM
Banned

SLK 55 AMG
I have the SLK 55 AMG, it comes with all the race stuff and suspension. But for you, since you are getting the SLK 350, then you need to get the AMG SPORTS PACKAGE, with this your car will be lowered 10 mm, get the 13.4 inch brakes, get the AMG suspension, and you get the AMG looks with the 17 inch 5 spoke AMG wheels. You also get the steering shift button behind the wheel, so instead of touchshift you can do it with your two fingers while holding the wheel (someone people I know call it padle shifting, but I still don't call it this.). The problem is that if you want the AMG SPORTS PACKAGE, you have to get AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION. IF you want MANUAL TRANSMISSION, the get the LOWERED SPORT SUSPENSION. Obviously your springs are different, so the car is lowered 10 mm(just like above), I am not sure if you get the 13.4 inch brakes, you do not get the body kit, you do not get the AMG wheels. Basicly if you go this way then you only have a lowered car of about 10 mm, but with manual transmission.

Every car that drives on snow should have chains on their tires. No car will ever be able not to slide. But there are some car companies such as MERCEDES BENZ and AMG that make stuff suck as the ASB brakes, ESP, this thing where you can't fish tail, and etc, to reduce the chances of sliding. Get the chains.

Corvettes are a high risk car of fish tailing, so when they turn you better be at low speeds with you foot still on the brake. All these corvettes guys think their car can turn like the SLK 55 AMG, but no, I see so many corvettes crahsed, messed up, flipped, and I still get these same people telling me that Corvettes are better than the SL and SLK.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Get some Blizzak LM-22 tires on some cheap nice looking 17inch wheels and you should be all set. Thats what I did and I was unstoppable the other day with our snow storm.
Good luck.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SLK 55 AMG
I have the SLK 55 AMG, it comes with all the race stuff and suspension. But for you, since you are getting the SLK 350, then you need to get the AMG SPORTS PACKAGE, with this your car will be lowered 10 mm, get the 13.4 inch brakes, get the AMG suspension, and you get the AMG looks with the 17 inch 5 spoke AMG wheels. You also get the steering shift button behind the wheel, so instead of touchshift you can do it with your two fingers while holding the wheel (someone people I know call it padle shifting, but I still don't call it this.). The problem is that if you want the AMG SPORTS PACKAGE, you have to get AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION. IF you want MANUAL TRANSMISSION, the get the LOWERED SPORT SUSPENSION. Obviously your springs are different, so the car is lowered 10 mm(just like above), I am not sure if you get the 13.4 inch brakes, you do not get the body kit, you do not get the AMG wheels. Basicly if you go this way then you only have a lowered car of about 10 mm, but with manual transmission.

Every car that drives on snow should have chains on their tires. No car will ever be able not to slide. But there are some car companies such as MERCEDES BENZ and AMG that make stuff suck as the ASB brakes, ESP, this thing where you can't fish tail, and etc, to reduce the chances of sliding. Get the chains.

Corvettes are a high risk car of fish tailing, so when they turn you better be at low speeds with you foot still on the brake. All these corvettes guys think their car can turn like the SLK 55 AMG, but no, I see so many corvettes crahsed, messed up, flipped, and I still get these same people telling me that Corvettes are better than the SL and SLK.
No offence, but your post seems incoherent.
You seem to imply that you cannot get the AMG sport package with the Manual transmission - not true.
You also say that driving in snow requires chains - also not true.
In the interest of providing accurate information to a prospective SLK buyer, please check your facts before posting.
Thanks and Cheers to all.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:31 PM
Almost a Member!

Daily: VW GTI Vr6 Leasure: SLK350
It is a hard decision to make.
Lucky for me that my wife will only allow a "new" convertible to be in our garage if it had Hard Top, so SLK is a nature choice. I guess if you worry about snow situation so much, maybe the Hard top will be a good change for you as well, and plus the ESP is very effective, and the new 6spd is very nice. Not Japanese car(Honda) level, but definitely very close to the 6spd in the VR6s...
Old 02-01-2005, 11:12 AM
mnt

Thank you all very much for your advice. I test drove the car yesterday and between that and what I've read here my mind is made up, I'm going with the Mercedes! What a beautiful machine that is.
As I was working up the config with the dealer, I have a few more decisions to make and again I'd appreciate your helpful opinions:

1. 17" vs. 18" rims - I'm leaning towards the 18" for looks (the "rear only" option available online)...

2. Run-flats - my dealer said these weren't available anywhere, I'd have to go special order (didn't make much sense to me)

3. Sport suspension - I wasn't quite clear from the posting above - do you recommend this? I prefer not to spend the money on the full AMG pkg, I was just going to get the suspension, but I wanted to know if the difference was noticeable, and if it caused the car to bottom out significantly more often on common bumps (I used to have a TT and it was fine, but my Vette was terrible for that).

I'm also torn about colors (silver, black, or blue), but that's more of a personal choice!

Thanks again for the advice...
Old 02-01-2005, 04:42 PM

SLK55
SLK suggestions

Originally Posted by mnt
Thank you all very much for your advice. I test drove the car yesterday and between that and what I've read here my mind is made up, I'm going with the Mercedes! What a beautiful machine that is.
As I was working up the config with the dealer, I have a few more decisions to make and again I'd appreciate your helpful opinions:

1. 17" vs. 18" rims - I'm leaning towards the 18" for looks (the "rear only" option available online)...

2. Run-flats - my dealer said these weren't available anywhere, I'd have to go special order (didn't make much sense to me)

3. Sport suspension - I wasn't quite clear from the posting above - do you recommend this? I prefer not to spend the money on the full AMG pkg, I was just going to get the suspension, but I wanted to know if the difference was noticeable, and if it caused the car to bottom out significantly more often on common bumps (I used to have a TT and it was fine, but my Vette was terrible for that).

I'm also torn about colors (silver, black, or blue), but that's more of a personal choice!

Thanks again for the advice...
You may be able to pick up some 18" OEM AMG rims on the AMG forum and at the same time save some $$$ and keep the 17" for dedicated snow tires.

Skip the run flats as they are heavier and detrimentally effect the handling.

Go with the sport suspension as it is only $200 and worth it. The car is less than 1/2 inch lower and the suspension travel should be less as well.

As for color- the diamond silver is looking quite elegant these days.

Cheers!
Old 02-02-2005, 01:07 AM
Banned

SLK 55 AMG
Originally Posted by Silver_Lana
No offence, but your post seems incoherent.
You seem to imply that you cannot get the AMG sport package with the Manual transmission - not true.
You also say that driving in snow requires chains - also not true.
In the interest of providing accurate information to a prospective SLK buyer, please check your facts before posting.
Thanks and Cheers to all.
When I was talking about the AMG sport package, I was saying you can not get the gear shifters behind the wheel unless you have automatic. This is true, read the damn book. Or I can just scan it, post it, and make you feel real stupid.

Also the tires and chain thing about the snow. In my first post I said you don't need chains, I show pictures how well the SLK handles in the snow. Then someone else says it is better to have it because you get more traction. So I said in my second post that if you want better traction than what the SLK already has get the chains on the tires. I didn't say you need them, I said if you want better traction. There are so many people who don't put chains on their tires while driving in the snow, I know I don't. So what the hell are you saying. Oh and why is there such things as putting chains on your tires?, why do peolpe do it, as you are saying you really don't need to and I am wrong? The Answer: to reduce slipping on the ice and snow. Haven't you ever read the road signs that say to put chains on your tires when there is ice and snow. I guess you don't get out much.

Answer this question----- What are the chains on the tires for? What do they do and what do they prevent?

Let me give you a hint, its not jewelry for the car.
YOU ARE SO DUMB!!!!

Last edited by Deuce; 02-02-2005 at 01:10 AM. Reason: error
Old 02-03-2005, 10:34 AM

04 M3, 05 R1
relax man. when i read your post, i thought you were saying the samething. no need to get all hyped about it. maybe you should write so everyone can comprehend.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:46 AM

04 M3, 05 R1
yo SLK55 AMG guy, you have some kind of problem.

i read your post again, and you are

what you said was MT doesn't come with AMG body kit when you order AMG package. as a matter of fact, it does come with it. i don't understand why you are yelling at the poor guy. show some respect dude.

are you that 17 y/o kid? you really have to grow up. seriously.

anyways, +1 on life is short and get a different car now. TT is nice but u have to try the MB.

I believe chain on tires are illegal where i am, as the chains F&** up the roads pretty bad.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:34 AM

sl and M-class E320 4Matic SLK350
Word from the North Country

I suspect the suggestion to get the AMG package with sports suspension comes from a poster who lives in the sunbelt. The last thing you want in snow country is less ground clearance. Skip AMG styling kit with its sports suspension if you plan on winter driving.

As to chains on tires, this is not adviseable for everyday driving on snowy roads. Chains are for mountain passes where you are going to go less than 30 miles an hour for short durations of time. Apart from school buses or huge trucks, chains are really not practical for everyday driving in the snow on ordinary roadways. Snow tires are the way to go and if you face black ice on your roads then studded snow tires would be prerferable - this is what the police insist on having on their cars where I live.

As to your original question though, it is unfortunate that we can't get 4Matic with the SLK. Let's face it, most people where snow stays on the road from October to April with sports cars including SLKs garage them in the winter unless they have something like the Audi with four wheel drive. Sounds like where you are there are enough days in the winter with snowless roads to justiify foregoing the cute/ugly, love it or hate it TT for the SLK.

Last edited by northbenz; 02-04-2005 at 03:58 AM.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SLK 55 AMG
When I was talking about the AMG sport package, I was saying you can not get the gear shifters behind the wheel unless you have automatic. This is true, read the damn book. Or I can just scan it, post it, and make you feel real stupid.

Also the tires and chain thing about the snow. In my first post I said you don't need chains, I show pictures how well the SLK handles in the snow. Then someone else says it is better to have it because you get more traction. So I said in my second post that if you want better traction than what the SLK already has get the chains on the tires. I didn't say you need them, I said if you want better traction. There are so many people who don't put chains on their tires while driving in the snow, I know I don't. So what the hell are you saying. Oh and why is there such things as putting chains on your tires?, why do peolpe do it, as you are saying you really don't need to and I am wrong? The Answer: to reduce slipping on the ice and snow. Haven't you ever read the road signs that say to put chains on your tires when there is ice and snow. I guess you don't get out much.

Answer this question----- What are the chains on the tires for? What do they do and what do they prevent?

Let me give you a hint, its not jewelry for the car.
YOU ARE SO DUMB!!!!
Hello there.
I quote you from above -
"The problem is that if you want the AMG SPORTS PACKAGE, you have to get AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION. IF you want MANUAL TRANSMISSION, the get the LOWERED SPORT SUSPENSION."

"Every car that drives on snow should have chains on their tires."

Can you see the error of what you posted there?
I am not going to engage in silly arguments with you so suffice it to say that if you do not have something constructive to say, don't say anything.

Cheers all!
Old 02-04-2005, 09:43 AM
mnt

Again, thanks for all the advice. In summary, this is what I'm looking at:
-SLK350, either diamond/iridium silver & black interior
-Entertainment pkg w/Nav
-Heating pkg w/airscarf
-Plexiglass windscreen
-Handsfree integrated cellphone kit
-18" wheels
-(and separately buy snow tires on cheaper 17" wheels)

Last 2 questions before I buy!
1. The cellphones that come with the handsfree (which cost $500-700!!!) are yesterday's technology - I read about the mikbox from other forums, does everybody generally buy the handsfree kit and then use 3rd party tools to use a more recent phone, or go with the MB overpriced old phones?
2. There are two options for 18" wheels on the website - 18" 5-spoke and 18" 5-spoke "rear-only" [which says: 7.5 X 18 ET37 225/40 R18 (front) and 8.5 X 18 ET30 245/35 R18 (rear)]. Does anybody have experience driving the SLK with 18" rear-only option vs. 18" option? There is a noticeable difference in price, is there a noticeable difference in handling? Understeer?

Thanks again!
Old 02-04-2005, 11:57 AM

04 M3, 05 R1
I'd say you should buy a phone with blue tooth tech. and blue tooth headset. I use them mainly in my car and they are great. (in case you didn't know about it..)
Old 02-04-2005, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have the Moto V710 - the same phone you would get from MB if you have Verizon service. I use a bluetooth earpiece which fits securely on my ear and allows me to make handsfree calls, recieve calls etc.
Also, its a lot cheaper than spending ~ $1500 on the integrated system. I have it in my C320 and while really nice and well integrated, i just don't think it is worth the money they are charging for it as well as the fact that you are locked into one particular phone.

Cheers!
Old 02-04-2005, 04:35 PM
mnt

Thanks. Any ideas on the 18" (rear only) option that I mentioned above?
Old 02-05-2005, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mnt
Thanks. Any ideas on the 18" (rear only) option that I mentioned above?
I have no idea but I think it would aid in power delivery since they are wider wheels than the included 17 inch wheels. I would say get the wheels after you get your car since you do not get any credit for the wheels you are giving up to get the 18inchers.
Old 02-05-2005, 04:23 PM
mnt

Thanks again to everyone for their advice! Today I put a deposit on my SLK350, I should have it by the end of the week!! I went with the iridium silver w/black interior, and the dealer gave me $1500 off sticker without even blinking an eye (which tells me that I probably could have gotten significantly more off, but I was happy and had no hassle). And I went with the 17" stock wheels, I'll upgrade later.

Thanks again everybody!
Old 02-06-2005, 04:06 PM

SL500 '05
You made the right choice.