SLK-Class (R172) 2011-Present SLK200, SLK250, SLK350, and SLK 55

SLK/R172: SLK 350 top operation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK 350
SLK 350 top operation

Hi everyone, Just joined the forum but not new to MB. I just received my 3d SLK350 and have a question. I am having intermittent top failure operation. The car has 1100 mi and has happened 3 times. I will get a DIC message that the trunk partition is not closed and the top will not operate either with the fob or with the dash controller. After an half hour I try the top and it works. Obviously the dealer has no answer and has checked the car thoroughly. Anyone else had this problem? Thanks
Old 06-01-2015, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

Received 715 Likes on 696 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
moved to R172 forum...
Old 06-05-2015, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG
Moved

Originally Posted by MJ50
moved to R172 forum...
I am confused.

The original post was in late may and you moved it to the R172 forum but I found it in the R172 forum. Did he post the original poster just throw it out there?

Clearly no responses as yet.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 715 Likes on 696 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Alex.currie44
I am confused.

The original post was in late may and you moved it to the R172 forum but I found it in the R172 forum. Did he post the original poster just throw it out there?

Clearly no responses as yet.
OP initially posted it on different forum...
Old 06-06-2015, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG
Smart Top

Originally Posted by swimmerrich
Hi everyone, Just joined the forum but not new to MB. I just received my 3d SLK350 and have a question. I am having intermittent top failure operation. The car has 1100 mi and has happened 3 times. I will get a DIC message that the trunk partition is not closed and the top will not operate either with the fob or with the dash controller. After an half hour I try the top and it works. Obviously the dealer has no answer and has checked the car thoroughly. Anyone else had this problem? Thanks
My guess is that there is an intermittent fault in one of the partitions switches or the module has an intermittent fault that will not necessarily show up.
Don't let the dealer BS you. He needs to start taking some progressive action either starting in the trunk replacing the switches or behind the seats replacing the module.
While not the same issue here is an illustrative story.
Years ago I was required to have a customer built car and opted for a Pontiac Gran Prix STE 3.4L V6.
After about a year after sitting in the hot sun it would run rough as the devil for the first ten minutes and then was fine. It happened every summer day when it was hot and sunny.
I took it in. No fault found.
A few days past and I took it back. No fault found.
I got to thinking and realized that the engine ECU was INSIDE the car and was getting heated up by the heat in the cabin sitting in the sun. Once underway, the AC cooled off the cabin and the ECU which then returned to normal operation.
I took it back, told them since it was a lease car they could fix it or the next time I would take the bus back and cut off payments to the lease. I suggested that they take the ECU out, put it back on their test equipment and hang a 100 watt light bulb 2" above it for an hour before they tested it.
They found it, replaced the ECU and all was good there after.
Sometimes they have to stop relying on the test equipment and be pro active.