SLK32 AMG (R170) 2001 - 2004: Discuss the SLK32 AMG.

OK a lot of questions for a very potential buyer..PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2002, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi S4 modded
OK a lot of questions for a very potential buyer..PLEASE HELP

I accidently posted this in the C32AMG page - sorry!!!!

Hey everyone! Well I think I am sold on buying a new and what seems to be amazing CLK32 AMG. Ok here are the questions I have to ask - I'm sure these have been asked a million times. I see it on my audi board (i drive a modded 2000 Audi S4 but need a change) But I'm going to be an irritating newbie guy now too. Ok here are my questions

1) What kind of performance mods are available for the AMG - if any - I understand its amazing already but I'm just curious what people have done if anything

2) What problems if any are prone to occur on the AMG?

3) How much do you LOVE this car?

4) how fast does it run a 1/4 mile?

I think thats a good start and if you know anyone that wants a used S4 with a lot of performance mods let me know!

I can't wait to make this car a reality!
Andy
Old 08-06-2002, 02:01 PM

IdreeamofAMG-

As far as performance mods, I have not heard of anyone modding their SLK32's just because it already can blow the doors off almost all your competition.

I have had my E55 AMG for about 4 months now and have had no problems. You haved to remember that the engines are hand built by the AMG workers and all AMG parts are put on very carefully. So as far as problems I think AMG's are more reliable than "normal" Benz's.

I cannot speak on the SLK32 because I am not an owner but my neighbors up the street own one and they seem to love it. I had the chance to drive it and it is a rocket and very fun to drive.

Quarter mile times are being recorded at about 13.00 seconds flat by writers from C&D Motor Trend etc.

Hope this helps some if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

AmGbOy
Old 08-06-2002, 03:14 PM

'01 CLK 55
I think I can offer an interesting perspective on your inquiry; I have owned an '01 CLK 55 for about eighteen months. The only problems I have had involved a number of ancillary issues that did not in any way affect the drivability of the car. These were mostly electrical in nature. Nothing unusual. As for my overall opinion of the car...I love it. I also have some limited experience in an S4, as I spent a good deal of time procurring one to ship to my best friend in Hawaii. He has subsequently chipped the car, replaced the exhaust, installed coilovers, and did other minor enhancements. I have driven S4's in both stock and modified conditions and find them to be fun, fast, ( when modded) well made cars, but not in the same league as an AMG. Of course, you'll always run into die hard S4 owners citing kills on AMG cars after numerous modifications... True or not, against (key word here...) stone STOCK AMG vehicles. It's painfully obvious that in stock condition, there's no comparison and the point is moot.
Long story short; after ten moths of ownership, my buddy's S4 is for sale, if not sold as I write this, and I'm now in the process of tracking down a C32 for him... What does this tell you?? Any more questions, feel free to email me. Good luck with your decision.
Old 08-06-2002, 04:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32 AMG
I'm a C32 owner, not an SLK, but I agree with the others - AMG vehicles are very special - they are built by hand. The dealer often takes a little "extra" care of AMGs. That also means that if something "special" breaks, you may have to wait while the part is flown in from Germany!

I have had absolutely no troubles with my C32 in 10 months and 7600 miles.

SLKs do not steer quite as precisely as the C-class - I believe they they use the older recirculating ball steering.

They are lighter than a C32 so they are a little quicker - low 13's for sure. Some people have gotten in the 12s but I think they may have modded their cars.

There is not much available for engine mods yet, but EvoSport and Kleeman are working hard on new stuff - do a search and/or check out the (more popular) C32 threads. A new pulley, chip, and intercooler may bump you up to 400 hp.
Old 08-06-2002, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'72 Suburban
I've had a lot of problems with my SLK32 in the short time I've owned it. I still really like the car, but for the price I expected better quality and service. It's going in next week to have the supercharger replaced. One day I'll take the time to type up all of my problems. It will be quite a novel

If I had to do it again, I probably would not have purchased the car, but rather stepped up to the next price bracket and bought a Carrera convertible or targa. Hindsight is 20/20 they say. I probably will sell the car in '03 or '04 and move on.

Just my .02.

Oh, I have an S4, too. It's the wife's car It is stock and fun to drive, but definately would take LOTS more HP to keep up with my SLK32. Remember, the S4 is a pig... ~3600lbs and just 250hp. They run low 14s/high 13s in the 1/4 stock vs. 13.00s for the SLK32.
Old 08-07-2002, 02:46 PM

SLK32 AMG
Hope this helps

To answer your questions:

1) What performance mods are for the SLK32 AMG?
I thought about pumping up the horsepower on it but then I realized that 349 is enough and it I touch any of the motor
in any way the factory warranty becomes into a gray area whether if things are covered or not.
I recommend Renntech, for about $2K you can get a performance chip and for another $2K you can get underdrive pulleys. But
the factory will not install them. They only seem to install BRABUS
parts which is a shame.
2) The only problem I have with the car is the two catalytic convertors sometimes vibrate against each other at about
2300 rpm. I need to have them look at that.
3) I sure love my car, of course it spends most of the time in the
garage. Got to keep it polished so it stays beautiful.
4) I have read plenty of magazines that have run the 1/4 mile
on it and it is between 13.00 and 13.10. Haven't taken it to the
track yet but maybe next year. I'm sure if you put slicks on it
it should run 12.9.

Hope this helps
I totally recommend this car, it will always hold it's value and you
don't see that many of them. I live in the Silicon Valley and I have
seen a total of 4, including mine.
Mine is the only Firemist red I've ever seen but I'll keep hunting.
Old 08-09-2002, 08:13 PM
ews

SLK32 Renntech
I've been very happy with my slk32. It just came out of the shop - chip, pulley, and springs from Renntech. So in answer to your first question, yes, mods are available, and Renntech does a great job with them. Unfortunately, I don't have anywhere where I can drive the car and experience the true performance.
Old 08-10-2002, 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'72 Suburban
What type of performance increase is claimed with the Renntech pulley and chip?
Old 08-10-2002, 01:59 PM
ews

SLK32 Renntech
20 hp increase each - I have yet to put it on the dyno, but I can feel the difference. Track day at the end of this month - I can check it then.
Old 08-11-2002, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'72 Suburban
Cool, thanks. I'm definately interested to see if you got 40hp from the 2 mods. Did you drag race it or dyno it before the pulley and/or chip?

Also, what was the damage ($) for the pulley and chip?
Old 08-11-2002, 09:10 PM
ews

SLK32 Renntech
I wanted to test it beforehand, but I've been on the road and travelling too much (air, not car) to have time to bring it in first. Some of the RENNtech guys drove it a few weeks before and said it was one of the faster stock 32s that they had driven - so I'm assuming it was around 349 before mods.

I haven't seen the final bill yet, but it was $3900 for the chip and pulley and another bit for the springs, plus tax and installation.

So far no problems - no error codes - and no funny noises (though the 'chirp' is still there!)

I'll get it on the track and dyno within the next few weeks and will post results here.
Old 08-12-2002, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'72 Suburban
Thanks, ews.

When you mention the chirp, is this a common problem, a chirp from the supercharger pulley? That's the problem mine is having and the dealer wants to replace the supercharger. If it's a known issue with all SLK32s, I'd rather not have them tear into the motor (who the hell knows what else they'll screw up while they're in there).
Old 08-12-2002, 12:51 PM
ews

SLK32 Renntech
Yep - the supershcarger engagement chirp is a known issue - has been discussed at length before in various groups. I was concerned at first also, and had my dealership replace the belts. It's nothing to worry about - it happens to the 32 engines (C and SLK). So nothing that the dealer can do to fix this - apparantly AMG has signed off on this as being "by design". (or "not by design, but not a problem, and nothing to worry about")
Old 08-12-2002, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'72 Suburban
Thanks again for the information. Can you point me to any online resources that detail information about the chirp?
Old 02-21-2013, 02:37 PM

2002 SLK32 AMG
Anyone have real times for the 1/4 mile and 0-60 post mods? I saw one where the guy had an 11.68 quarter. I've had a little bit done on my SLK32 and would like to take it on the track sometime once I get some nice tires and clean up some of the other areas of it. Maybe this summer.

What are some good tires to put on it? Not just for the track since that might be a one-off or two-off kind of thing? Any and all suggestions are welcome.