SLK32 AMG (R170) 2001 - 2004: Discuss the SLK32 AMG.

Bridgestone RE050A Pole Position Tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 12:20 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
slk32 Renntech
Bridgestone RE050A Pole Position Tires

I have a 2002 slk32 which still has the original PS tires after 15,000 miles. I am thinking of tire a change. I've not seen much feedback on this board about the above tires.
Tirerack.com has good reviews and surveyed #1 among all maxi. performance tires. I am wondering if anybody have tried them on their slk32 or c32, and what do you think? Any inputs are welcome.

Last edited by jerryxu; 05-20-2007 at 12:22 AM.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
355 F1 Spider & ......V12 w220.176
I just put Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position XL on my S class. I'm usually a Michelin guy but these were higher rated for all season. I just put them on 3 days ago so I can't offer a full review but I like them so far. Quiet and a bit more traction on dry pavement.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:14 PM
Almost a Member!

slk32 Renntech
Smile My Review as Posted on Tirerack:

I don't normally write a tire review. But I feel that I owe tirerack a favor. The favor is the result of my reading the customers' reviews to buying the PP's for my slk32. The original tires were Pilot Sports. They are quite good dry, terrible wet. Whenever it's raining, I lose confidence, to a point that I don't drive the car when wet, and I beg it won't rain if I had it out. Those PS1's still had some meat left but I was already looking for replacement tires that can improve the wet traction. After reading all the reviews on RE050A PP I pulled the trigger. So far I have only had these for a week. I already wish I had them on my car long ago. Every positive thing I read about these tires is true. Compare to PS1, the PP's are: 150% Quieter, 130% confident, 120% handling, 120% good cornering, plus 80% lighter steering wheel feel. It is not even funny. The steering wheel feels light to turn but it is full of feedback. This somewhat corrects Mercedes's isolated (dull) and heavy steering wheel feel.
I am driving on York road today where its pavement is wavy, a good road to test the tramling of a tire . I was quite nervous when I had the PS1 on the car since the car would follow the pavement's pattern and would swing side to side a bit. Today, I can report that PP's tramline is reduced to an almost non noticeable level, if this is something that is important too you.
Additionally, the car feels more powerful. This is odd but true. When I switched with the wife to drive she felt the same-more power.
I have not test the wet traction since it has not rained in the few days I have had the PP. I will also test if there is flat spot formation after parking for a few days. But for now I am extremely happy with these tires. I hope whoever read this report because you're unsure about the tires to relax and buy them. Then this report will fulfill its purpose. I shall post on Mercedes boards to share with my fellow Benz drivers. AAA+++ to Bridgestone.

Last edited by jerryxu; 06-17-2007 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:29 AM
Almost a Member!

slk32 Renntech
Everyone, Bridgestone deal will expire in a few days. Best tires for my SLK32, adds a lot of fun.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB
Thanks for the review! I've got a set of PS2's on my SRT-6. They are a pretty good performing tire but they should be for the price. Almost 400 a piece for the rears! I think I'll give the Bridgestones a try when mine wear out because (a) they are higher rated & (b) they are CHEAPER! I will have to get a different series profile though as they don't manufacture them for my OEM tire specs.