SLK32 AMG (R170) 2001 - 2004: Discuss the SLK32 AMG.

Check out the race between the Slk32 and Honda S2K with S/C.........

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2003, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
Originally posted by i_8_ur_8
Man I was just reading on some of topics with service issues. **** I dont want to go through that again. lol here goes my honda story.
I'm thinking it's isolated incidents. I'm on my 3rd SLK, where I've "abused" them severely (monthly full day lapping sessions, weekly autox's etc) and have not had any mechanical issues whatsoever. The biggest problem I've had was the fan not turning off draining my battery in my SLK 320.
Old 01-22-2003, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honda S2000
Thats encouraging. ALthough i wouldnt mind if the car broke. As long as they fixed it. That was the biggest thing with honda. Despite the several hundred S2000 owners having my same issues they still deny there is one. Thanks for your help rage
Old 01-23-2003, 03:43 PM
Almost a Member!

BMW Z3 S/C & 99 Mroadster
Where I get off on saying that a s2k with 350hp doesnt do a damn thing??? From a guy who owns one. he manged to get it into the 13;s but it was NOT worth the price. Dont get me wrong 2ks have their place.

You just gave the problen with the s2k. It is the pure devil to launch. If you give any car every advantage it should be you. If I give a tercel a 20 car lead It should have a chance to be me in the 1/4 mile or highway if I race it in my M.
That engine noise gets brutal after a while. Hell I SMOKED an s2k with a 4cly supercharger 1.9 z3 which i now have putting about 220 to teh crank and about 180-182 to the wheels THIS with a bad A/F ratio. which I didnt know at the time.
Old 01-23-2003, 05:50 PM

Honda S2000
The s2000 is simply put, a underbuilt performance machine. If honda would of take the correct steps in reinforcing a decent drivetrain to handle the type or driving it take to meet the numbers they claim, it would be a damn good car. till then, which is never cuase honda wont spend the money, i will never own another Honda if any Japanese car at that.
Old 01-23-2003, 08:21 PM

Subaru WRX; C32 one day
Originally posted by Nektopoli
Now your comparing a FWD car to an AWD car a WRX is not a Civic, The WRX started as a sporty car, the Civic strarted as an Econo-Box.

NP
I think that you took my remark out of context. Someone earlier had commented on how they were annoyed by all of the "ricer" Civics out there trying to race them. My earlier quote was just stating to that guy, if you think you hate those Civics, try driving my car. Every civic, whether stock, riced out from Pep-boys, etc. wants to race my car. It is extremely annoying, not to mention, a very big insult. The WRX is a quality Sports Sedan. By no means is it a Mercedes, but for the money, it is a damn fine sports sedan and probably one of the most fun cars you will ever drive (after you replace the crappy OEM tires). I would never compare a Civic to my car because they aren't in the same league no matter what wheels drive that car. Sorry to be off-topic.

BTW, 1_8_ur_8 has some very valid points about the S2000. My parents have have had several Benzes from a C230 to a E320 Wagon. Even when they first got their first C230, the service was remarkable (drop-off/pick-up, always a Mercedes loaner car for the day, etc.). IMO, the biggest and best difference between the AMG and the S2K is tourque.....lots of it......and without revving the car to death. Tourque and customer service are two main reasons that I am seriously considering a Mercedes over the new Subaru WRX STI (300 hp / 300 lb.ft.) for my next car. Did I mention the interior?
Old 01-23-2003, 08:32 PM

Honda S2000
I think its funny us WRX being both owners of cars in the same class going to look at benzes cause we are fet up with current service. I think its about damn time something happens with the auto industry treating thier customers like ****. Not sure what or how its going to happen I can only hope something does. Cause what about the people who cant afford such cars that brings good customer service. They dont deserve what they get. No one who spends any money for a new car, which is alot no matter what after mark ups, should be treated poorly. But such is life i suppose.
Old 01-26-2003, 11:10 PM
Almost a Member!

SLK32 AMG
Originally posted by rage2
It doesn't take much skill to drag race the SLK 32 AMG. Hold gear shift left and it drops you in the right gear. Floor it when it's time to go. But in case you think it does take skill to drive in a straight line, the driver of the AMG is an avid track ***** and is a very quick driver.
Oh my, you just called me a *****! haha That s/c'd s2000 was mighty quick as long as we started when it was in vtec. If it was ever out of vtec, it had no chance at all, still very respectable and looks nice too, on the track it would destroy the slk32 with similar drivers.
Old 02-19-2003, 07:44 PM

SLK32
Speaking of S2000's I'm a converted S2000 owner to a now beautiful 03 SLK32 though I will not be quick to dismiss the S2000's having owned one for nearly two years I can say that they are incredible cars. They certainly don't have the torque that the mercs do or the luxury but what they don't have in style and comfort, they more than make up for it in track performance. I loved that car and I would be in the market for another one in the future when I can afford to own 3 or 4 cars at once.
Old 03-16-2003, 11:12 PM
lig

was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4
Originally posted by J10B
edit

Hell I SMOKED an s2k with a 4cly supercharger 1.9 z3 which i now have putting about 220 to teh crank and about 180-182 to the wheels THIS with a bad A/F ratio. which I didnt know at the time.

Stock S2000's put out 240 at the crank and about 200 or thereabouts to the wheels. The cars are within 100 lbs. of each other. You smoked one. If you say so...
Old 04-13-2003, 06:21 PM

1999 SLK230 Kompressor
The problem with all Honda engines is that they all have ridiculously low torque, so you have to shift like a madman and hold the RPMs practically at the redline. I remember when I test drive the S2k and the salesman was all like
"What do you think?"
and I replied
"I think it needs some torque" and his jaw hit the ground.
For daily driving, a balanced engine with roughly the same amount of torque and HP is just a much better vehicle.

The Mini Cooper S is a great example of this.
Sure, it only has 163hp so it won't win drag races, but the torque is roughly the same [155 lb-ft@4000roms] and thus it is incredibly responsive at all rpms in all gears. It is an awesome daily drive.

The S2k was just dead at so many different times without constantly winding the engine. U almost always had to downshift from cruising to get any type of acceleration and that in my opinion, made it annoying to drive.

I will take my SLK 230 or a Mini Cooper S over a stock S2k any day of the week.
Come July, I'll have my AMG 32 SLK and things will just get better.
Old 04-14-2003, 01:33 PM
lig

Part 1

I won't argue that the S2000 is the perfect daily driver. But if you have a daily driver (here's my E320) and the S2000 is your fun car - it's very hard to beat.
Old 04-14-2003, 01:38 PM
lig

Part II

If you wanna do this - then the Mini Cooper S is cute, but no competition. The SLK would not be remotely close. I'm not much of a driver but managed to take out several M3's - a 996 and a Z06 (and a few cones too :p ) I'd love to see a SLK32 out there - I love that car too... but I've never seen anyone auto-x one...
Old 04-14-2003, 02:15 PM

1999 SLK230 Kompressor
Not sure what you mean by
'Wanna do this"

Do you mean drive it on a test course?
That isnt what I was referring to. But I think the CooperS would hold it's own. It has an amazing suspension that I believe would surprise the he11 out of you. But it is a much better balanced beast. The S2k is a Redline only car, so in very limited situations it would be fun, but for me, it is just annoying.

Like I said, In all situations, I would take an SLK 230 instead even on that test track of yours.

Stock S2ks are a good idea, but Honda came up way short in the implementation.

He11, I think a Cooper S racing an S2k off a dead stop would be real close, and since the Cooper is simply cute, even if the S2k won, that makes the S2k embarrasing.

Last edited by Xyntrynzia; 04-14-2003 at 03:15 PM.
Old 04-14-2003, 03:53 PM
lig

That was me autocrossing yesterday. There was a MiniCooper S. He didn't come close to my time.

That's what I meant by "If you wanna do this" :p

If you are interested in racing an s2000 in your wife's Mini, let me know. I'll be happy to arrange a race for your edification.

I'm not usuallyone for magazine racing - I'd rather do the racing myself - but here are the Road and Track test results:

Mini Cooper S 0-60 6.9 sec (I didn't see a 1/4 mile time for the Mini CooperS

S2000 0-60 5.5 sec 1/4 mile 14.1@99.6 mph

1.4 seconds 0-60 difference? Hardly what I would call keeping up.

That would be your basic getting smoked. Sure the Mini handles well for a front driver - but again... it isn't in the same league as an S2000.

I really don't see where Honda fell short in the implementation of the S2000. Please enlighten me on that. It's certainly not a car for everyone - that's for sure. But for someone who really wants to drive a no-compromises sports car, it's nearly perfect. I wouldn't call it a perfect daily driver, though!

Would you like me to arrange a race for you? I'll be happy to post on the S2000 site that a guy in a Mini Cooper S wants to race. I'm sure there will be plenty of takers - just let me know what city you are in and we'll put it together.
Old 04-14-2003, 04:30 PM

1999 SLK230 Kompressor
Never said it would win and I never said I wanted to race, but nice way of attempting to take my words out of context on 2 posts.

I hope everyone else here knows how to read, because you dont.

U said the Cooper S is cute, yea maybe it is. But it does what it claims to do. I am not going to even attempt to make it into a race car, because it isnt. I simply said it could keep up. In real world driving situations, it delivers. In my opinion, it delivers better than the S2k in these same conditions. The S2k as I said before, in traffic because a shift crazy monster due to it's lack of power is just annoying.

U, however are trying to make the S2k into something it isnt.

I test drove one 4 times for extended periods each time, and it just fell way short of expectations. My expections were set by the SLK 230 I arrived in.
Not a mean drag machine either, but I guess the supercharger makes it feel more responsive. Also, maybe I am just used to the handling of the SLK as well, but it felt more stable. I didnt like the amount of body roll the S2k had

So in my opinion, how does the S2k fall short

Way too little torque for the amount of HP it has.
Handling and braking were not impressive compared to hype
interior features are lacking [but not really supposed to be]
service support by honda really sucks for these
too much money for too little car.

For the money, I think there are better options.

But if you enjoy it, and you own it, then that is what counts.
Old 04-14-2003, 04:51 PM
lig

We'll just have to agree to disagree then.

I am enjoying my Honda immensely. Even though it doesn't come to the level of your SLK I've somehow managed to beat M3's and Z06's and 911/993/996's autocrossing. Not bad for a no-torque, body rolling car that needs to be shifted.

You go ahead and enjoy your SLK and your MiniCooperS. I have driven a SLK - only once however and I thought the motorized top was very cool. But it really isn't a sports car.

Taking you words out of context? What do you mean by "keeping up?" Getting smoked by 5 car lengths?

Let me quote you so there is no misunderstanding...

QUOTE < He11, I think a Cooper S racing an S2k off a dead stop would be real close, and since the Cooper is simply cute, even if the S2k won, that makes the S2k embarrasing.>

Do you really think the Cooper S will be close from a dead stop? We obviously have differing definitions of "close"

I'm going to quote you again so there is no misunderstanding:

<U, however are trying to make the S2k into something it isnt. >

What exactly am I trying to make the S2000 into? It's a narrowly focused car that goes fast when you rev it and handles superbly. It's not an ideal daily driver. I think YOU are the one with the reading problem. Please point out to me where I have said otherwise.

If you don't like the S2000 - that's cool. It's not a car for everyone. I NEVER said it was. It doesn't come with an automatic transmission or nav or other "luxury" features. It's not a luxury car.

But don't post stuff like "the Mini Cooper S will be real close from a dead stop" without being able to back it up.

lig

Last edited by lig; 04-14-2003 at 05:09 PM.
Old 04-14-2003, 05:10 PM

1999 SLK230 Kompressor
The top is da bomb

And you turned my comments about Daily driving into racing.

I have kept up with S2ks in traffic with no problems whatsoever when they were obviously trying to not allow that to happen.
[Actually, my wife was driving which made it really funny]

Yea, I said I think would be real close and yea I think it would be closer than 5 car lengths and would not be a smoking. And even if it did, it wasnt expected to win, so anything short of the blowout you describe would be embarrassing to the S2k.
That was my point.

I believe, and I will quote you, that you are attempting to make the S2k into a
"no-compromises sports car"

My point is, the lack of power, fails to get it there.

Done
Bored
L8r
Bye
Old 04-14-2003, 05:22 PM
lig

o.k. whatever. you just keep on smoking whatever it is you are smoking then.

I'm not the only one who feels the S2000 is a "no-compromises" sports car.

Here's what Car and Driver printed when they were naming the S2000 one of their "10 Best Cars"

" The S2000 is a unique and seductive tool for speed. No other street car on the planet has a redline as lofty as the 8900 rpm on the S2000's tach, and when the needle swings beyond six grand, the small Honda rockets forward as its pistons frenetically churn, fed by the VTEC-liberated intake system.

This thrust is harnessed by a sophisticated suspension and unusually rigid chassis to produce tenacious and tolerant handling that makes even ham-handed and -footed drivers feel like F1 ace Michael Schumacher. Throw in powerful brakes, and you have a machine that feels absolutely at home on a racetrack."

This is what Edmunds.com has on their site..

"Introduction:
When most driving enthusiasts slip off into dreams of sun-drenched, horsepower-infused blasts down Pacific Coast Highway, cars with the Honda badge on the hood are rarely the chariots of choice. Ferraris, Porsches, the occasional Corvette, maybe, but never a Honda.

That all changed three years ago with the introduction of the S2000. With its ultrastiff body and race-car-inspired suspension, Honda's two-seat roadster could run circles around just about anything, regardless of which European country it came from. And it didn't require exotic materials or a gas-guzzling six- or eight-cylinder engine to do so.

We were a bit skeptical, at first, but after driving it back to back against the best roadsters in its class, our editors couldn't help but fall in love with the S2000's precise handling, ultradirect steering and rev-happy engine that made it feel more like a Japanese superbike than a drop-top two-seater. The car's lack of luxury amenities went virtually unnoticed, as driver after driver became entranced by the Honda's incredible handling and slingshot acceleration.

The S2000 is an enthusiast's car pure and simple. You want fancy leather and beautifully crafted wood grain accents? Move on to the Euro-dealer of your choice, please. The S2000 dispenses with the fluff and replaces it with a howling engine and a concrete chassis that make no concessions to those who want the best of both worlds in a performance roadster."

But hey... you know better, I guess. After all, you've driven one 4 times.

S2000 240hp 2800 lbs vs. MiniCooper S 163hp 2500 lbs vs. your SLK 191hp 2900 lbs

It sure looks like the S2000 is underpowered in comparison.

I'm done too. You don't seem to be able to accept the fact that an S2000 will smoke the Mini S or the SLK. When I offer you a chance to back up your claim - you pu$$y out. Too bad for you.

I will say that the SLK 32 will be an awesome car - I envy you there - but the Mini or the SLK 230 aren't even in the same zip code as the SLK 32.

Seeya.

Last edited by lig; 04-14-2003 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:20 PM

1999 SLK230 Kompressor
Why dont u list the Torque?
The ranking order would then be

SLK 207 @ 1800 RPM
Cooper 155 @ 4000 RPM
S2k 153 @ 7500 RPM

This is what I mean by no power and that you have to drive at the redline to keep the car moving.
One bad shift and it will take a while to get back into the powerband because of where it is and how little there is of it.
One bad shift against a car that shouldnt be in the same class as the S2k, and you would have an even race.
[I think a bad shift could consume 1-3 seconds of time]
But anywho, just to set the record straight
I never offered to race. You took me stating
"I think a Cooper S racing an S2k off a dead stop would be real close"
as a challenge.
It wasnt.
Someone who drove something truly uncompromising, wouldnt have anything to prove. I would have to take you pulling out the pu$$y line as justification that you have some inadequate feelings towards what you drive.

Either that, or that if you can't debate an argument to your satisfaction, you have to resort to being un-cival
Nice level of maturity there.

I wont reduce my side of the conversation to that level.
Old 04-14-2003, 08:55 PM
lig

Put up or shut up. You haven't been able to disprove anything I have posted here, have you?

I offer unbiased third party information. Your proof source is what... once your wife was driving and you think an S2000 was trying to hold her off?

I offer a way for you to back your statement up. You decline.

You challenge my reading skills - yet your sentences come out like this:

quote: <Yea, I said I think would be real close and yea I think it would be closer than 5 car lengths and would not be a smoking. And even if it did, it wasnt expected to win, so anything short of the blowout you describe would be embarrassing to the S2k.
That was my point. >

Reading that hurt my head.

You saw "power" and then you quote torque figures. What good is that torque going to do you when you are getting blown away by the far superior horsepower?

Then you get into some silly hypothetical crap about missing shifts... That is most amusing. You're getting desperate.

Face the facts. Despite the lower torque of the S2000 - it will smoke your Mini S or SLK. Period. Prove me wrong and I'll apologize for taking this tone. The only problem for you is that you can't -even with your wife driving. :p

You contradict yourself when you insinuate that the S2000 is something other than a "no compromises sports car" and at the same time you call it a "rev happy monster that you have to shift all the time" Wouldn't that be part of the essence of a no compromises car? That gearbox and engine were meant to be run to the redline.

I don't have any problems with driving a Honda - it's just the opposite. I'm very proud to drive that car. Granted - more people seem to look at my E class but I really don't care about that...

Guys spouting bull***** on the internet about things they either don't know about or are just plain wrong about is what bothers me. So I repeat:

Prove me wrong - or STFU.

Last edited by lig; 04-14-2003 at 09:23 PM.
Old 04-14-2003, 10:40 PM

1999 SLK230 Kompressor
I proved plenty

Most importantly

How much of a sucker you are to be dragged into an argument that I don't give 2 $h1ts about. I still say you are trying to compensate for something or you wouldnt get so mad.
Here is a quote for you from Carpoint
The S2000 is an expensive toy that serves no other purpose than to flatter its owner's ego.
Since I got it online, it must be true. Seems to be in your case. Your delicate ego can't handle the fact that I made a simple statement about a Cooper S. Most people could have laughed that one off. But you have to go all ballistic and try and dig up every fact u can find. Pretty pathetic.

Everything I have said is valid. Even the experts agree, and I quote
"Unpractical car in everyday driving ". The lack of torque in the S2k is what necessitated reving the h3ll out of the engine and makes is annoying to drive under normal conditions. Just because you don't like it doesnt make it B.S. It just makes it a fact you want to ignore.

I used words like think and close. Hey your definition isnt the same as mine
BFD.

If you have such a low self esteem that you have to prove to all your online friends that you beat a Mini Cooper S, against a guy who admitted he would lose, but would at least keep it close and entertaining, then by all means MR BIG MAN ON CAMPUS come east and we will do it on I-95 During the day. Screw your wimpy racetrack. I want a real world situation. None of this controlled environent Pu$$Y $h1T. I'll even race you with all 3 cars. First the Mini, just to get warmed up, then the SLK, then the Jeep to cool down. If I lose all 3 I don't care. You can even go home and brag about how you slaughtered a lifted Jeep on Pavement
WhoooHoooo
I will be laughing at how stupid you are the whole time.

So Come on @$$HOLE lets see you PUT UP or SHUT up.
Jees Grow the F%&K up
How old are you
3?

Last edited by Xyntrynzia; 04-14-2003 at 11:35 PM.
Old 04-14-2003, 11:46 PM
lig

Thank for that thoughtful, mature and well reasoned response.

Boy, you sure showed me.

You win.
Old 04-14-2003, 11:55 PM

1999 SLK230 Kompressor
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

U introduced the name calling

and another thing

Your Mom wears Army Boots
:P

Can we be friends now

JEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSS

Ill even buy the first round
Old 04-15-2003, 12:37 AM
lig

I'm thirsty. I've got the 2nd round.

Peace.
Old 04-16-2003, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
Re: Part II

Originally posted by lig
If you wanna do this - then the Mini Cooper S is cute, but no competition. The SLK would not be remotely close. I'm not much of a driver but managed to take out several M3's - a 996 and a Z06 (and a few cones too :p ) I'd love to see a SLK32 out there - I love that car too... but I've never seen anyone auto-x one...
I've AutoX'd my SLK 320 extensively, with a few stints in kenny's SLK 32 AMG. I clocked the FTD both times out in the SLK 32 on A032R's. The SLK 320 (classed as A/S last year) on street tires I was coming up 2nd and 3rd in class. Once I moved to A032R's, I was top in class, beating out guys in SS (Boxster S). That was my rookie year .

As for S2K's, they're faster than the SLK 320, definately no match for the SLK 32. I'd say it sits between the 2 cars. I've run against them at the AutoX and at track days.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Check out the race between the Slk32 and Honda S2K with S/C.........