SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Picked up new SLK55 - WOW - but big problem already

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 01:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E500
Picked up new SLK55 - WOW - but big problem already

Picked up our new SLK55 (Iridium/black) Tuesday evening (3/29). By Wednesday afternoon, it was being dragged onto a tow truck for a trip back to the dealer.

As I left for a meeting, the ABS light went on with the message "excessive brake pad wear - drive to workshop". Since I needed to be at the meeting I kept driving (about five miles) instead of heading to the dealer. As I drove, more malfunctions were displayed - five total: ABS, EDC, BAS, Speedtronic, and/or whatever. The speedometer quit working. After the meeting, the car started but was in safe mode and would not go out of park. Thus the tow to the dealer.

The same receptionists and office personnel that were gushing over the car earlier were standing in the doorway with perplexed looks at this ignoble event.

While I picked up a loaner the next day, I was told that the BAS module that controls the stability systems had to be replaced. However, the part number is listed as "not available" and the dealer is working with M-B USA and Germany to try to get this part off the production line if necessary. It may take weeks, I won't know for sure until next week.

I didn't have time to get acquainted with the car, but it is more beautiful in person than I imagined. A lot of compliments received were for the wheels, and I agree, the multispoke wheels are impressive. I hope M-B customer service is as impressive as the car in handling this problem.

Last edited by Rascal; 04-01-2005 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:41 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
'05 SLK55, Obsidian, black/red, light and premium pkg., COMAND with nav, airscarf, Sirius
Great, I'm picking up my '55 one hour from now. Hopefully this is not what I have to look forward to.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:12 PM

2003 E500
Shark,

Good luck with your car. I figure if you get past 60 miles you're in good shape. And in this case, misery does not love company.
Old 04-01-2005, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SLK55 2003 Acura MDX
I am sorry this happened to you but I hope you are not going to have repeated problems like me. I got mine in late November and I must have been to the dealership may be fifteen times! The biggest problem is sudden loss (70%?) of power steering. I have to pull over and restart!

I do think misery does love company; unfortunately!

Originally Posted by Rascal
Picked up our new SLK55 (Iridium/black) Tuesday evening (3/29). By Wednesday afternoon, it was being dragged onto a tow truck for a trip back to the dealer.

As I left for a meeting, the ABS light went on with the message "excessive brake pad wear - drive to workshop". Since I needed to be at the meeting I kept driving (about five miles) instead of heading to the dealer. As I drove, more malfunctions were displayed - five total: ABS, EDC, BAS, Speedtronic, and/or whatever. The speedometer quit working. After the meeting, the car started but was in safe mode and would not go out of park. Thus the tow to the dealer.

The same receptionists and office personnel that were gushing over the car earlier were standing in the doorway with perplexed looks at this ignoble event.

While I picked up a loaner the next day, I was told that the BAS module that controls the stability systems had to be replaced. However, the part number is listed as "not available" and the dealer is working with M-B USA and Germany to try to get this part off the production line if necessary. It may take weeks, I won't know for sure until next week.

I didn't have time to get acquainted with the car, but it is more beautiful in person than I imagined. A lot of compliments received were for the wheels, and I agree, the multispoke wheels are impressive. I hope M-B customer service is as impressive as the car in handling this problem.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:34 PM
CP1

SLK 55 AMG
I passed 6,000 miles on my '55 with no problems.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:52 PM

2003 E500
Thanks for chiming in, CP1, us new owners can use the encouragement.

Teufel: As I have lurked on this post for quite a while, I have followed your comments of problems with interest. In fact, during the drive I described, the power steering did lose some power, now that you mention it. Perhaps that is related to this module?

We never had a problem with our E500, but there were many who listed complaints on that forum. Just today, there is news of a major recall for fixes of various M-B models and reports of their quality problems all over the media.

I hope I don't have a problem '55; only time will tell. But I do know that even if I went to the extreme to demand my money back, there is no other car I would rather have.
Old 04-02-2005, 11:20 AM

SLK55 AMG

passed the 12,000 km teritorry , the Sound is getting louder and meaner , was a bark , now as a ROAR
Old 04-03-2005, 11:18 AM
Almost a Member!

2005 SLK55 AMG
Recent recall seems to be electrical in nature. Hope all gets corrected for you soon. I'm sure MB will fix the problem
cleanly for you (unlike GM).
Old 04-04-2005, 03:26 PM

There is no other car I would love to have neither, even if I get a refund! Unless of course I say to hell with my money and buy the upcoming Porsche 911 Turbo or GT2!:v I don't think my wife would like that very much! Then again, I am only 32 and hopefully I have some years left on my contract with the all mighty!

I am glad that you dare to say that MB has some reliability problems. Because it is a taboo to say anything bad about MB on this Forum! People attack you from every side and make excuses to justify the major reliability issues MB has.

The loss of power steering in my car is very dangerous. I struggle to pull over and restart my car. After restarting my car everything is normal again! It happens very rarely.

Thanks for chiming in, CP1, us new owners can use the encouragement.

Teufel: As I have lurked on this post for quite a while, I have followed your comments of problems with interest. In fact, during the drive I described, the power steering did lose some power, now that you mention it. Perhaps that is related to this module?

We never had a problem with our E500, but there were many who listed complaints on that forum. Just today, there is news of a major recall for fixes of various M-B models and reports of their quality problems all over the media.

I hope I don't have a problem '55; only time will tell. But I do know that even if I went to the extreme to demand my money back, there is no other car I would rather have.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:36 PM

I drive a E55T, SLK55 and 65 Mustang Conv.
It's funny ( and somehow not) that the first thing I thought of when I read about Rascal's car was I wonder if the same person built his as built Teuful's??? So far other than the 1 time the check engine light came on because of a loose vacuum hose we've had no problems at all other than fighting over who getsto drive it.
Kim
Old 04-04-2005, 07:32 PM

2003 E500
Update:

After three working days I'm happy to report that the dealer was able to order the part. Apparently MB finally acknowledged that the module is indeed a part of the car, gave it a part number and found that they even have some in stock.

Isn't that great?

Maybe by the end of the week we can give it another go.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:24 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by Teufel
I am glad that you dare to say that MB has some reliability problems. Because it is a taboo to say anything bad about MB on this Forum! People attack you from every side and make excuses to justify the major reliability issues MB has.
For those non believers here is another issue from Jürgen (if he is watching this board maybe he could elaborate or certain members of this board can convince him it is not happening) in Germany...

Quality Problems Leave DaimlerChrysler Chief Lost In Stuttgart
Date Posted 04-05-2005

STUTTGART, Germany — DaimlerChrysler chairman Jürgen Schrempp himself was a victim of his company's faulty navigation system; the one in his car got him lost — three times.

In an ironic twist, the system couldn't find its way round Stuttgart — the city where Mercedes is headquartered. Schrempp said the navigation system on his Mercedes kept telling him to turn around as he was driving. "I realized only after the third time that there was a problem," he said.

Schrempp told German magazine Der Spiegel the problems were caused by giving too much responsibility for product development to suppliers: "It was wrong to rely fully and completely on system suppliers who supply a complete navigation system or an engine management system and thereby to trust that these parts work when they are brought together in the car." Mercedes recently had to recall 1.3 million cars because of technical faults.

Schrempp could face an angry showdown with shareholders at the DaimlerChrysler annual meeting this week. Shareholders are upset about the Mercedes quality problems and could vote not to ratify management's actions in protest; effectively a vote of no confidence in Schrempp.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:47 PM

Herrn dummkopf Floriss Adija! That's who built my engine. But none of my problems has anything to do with the engine!?!

There was another article in the April edition of Automobile magazine about the poor quality of German cars; MB in particular. This one had a very interesting survey called "German Customer Satisfaction Ranking" & "German Image Ranking" by ADAC (AAA). The two magic words here are German & ADAC! ADAC is very reputable and everybody respects them. And this survey was done in Germany! So, no one can b**** about anything here!

MB is first in the "German Image Ranking". But almost dead last (32nd out of 33) in the "German Customer Satisfaction Ranking"! Porsche is 8th and BMW is 11th.

This is just another example of MB reliability & service problems!

Originally Posted by Lady Wolf
It's funny ( and somehow not) that the first thing I thought of when I read about Rascal's car was I wonder if the same person built his as built Teuful's??? So far other than the 1 time the check engine light came on because of a loose vacuum hose we've had no problems at all other than fighting over who getsto drive it.
Kim
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
MB Problems 7.bmp (815.7 KB, 656 views)
File Type: bmp
MB Problems 50001.BMP (501.6 KB, 708 views)

Last edited by Teufel; 04-06-2005 at 03:04 PM.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:27 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 slk55
[QUOTE=Teufel]Herrn dummkopf Floriss Adija! That's who built my engine. But none of my problems has anything to do with the engine!?!

so why call him an idiot when none of the problems has anything to do with the engine?
Old 04-07-2005, 01:14 AM
Almost a Member!

[color=black][color=black]There was another article in the April edition of Automobile magazine about the poor quality of German cars; MB in particular
Yep the **** is starting to hit the fan from the investor perspective as well the comsumer perspective... I wonder what the title of Jurgen's book will be?

DaimlerChrysler Boss Heckled by Angry Shareholders
Date Posted 04-06-2005

BERLIN — DaimlerChrysler chief executive Jürgen Schrempp faced a hostile reception from fund managers and shareholders at the company's annual meeting yesterday.

One fund manager's quip — "Do you need to shoot yourself in the foot to prove you're a capable doctor?" — won cheers and a round of applause from the packed Berlin convention center.

While they fell short of giving Schrempp a vote of no-confidence, a number of senior fund managers opted to abstain from the traditional symbolic vote approving the performance of the management.

The company's earnings have tumbled in the past year, hit by quality problems at Mercedes-Benz, the collapse of alliances with Mitsubishi and Hyundai, a sales scandal that has seen the sacking of senior German managers, and a $1.56 billion restructuring of the Smart city car business.

Schrempp nevertheless told the audience: "We have made clear progress," claiming the company reached its operating earnings target for the full year despite a drop in fourth-quarter earnings. "We reached our profit target. But we're not satisfied with that," he said.

Shareholders, however, are unconvinced; the company's stock is worth far less than at the time of the 1998 merger between Daimler-Benz and Chrysler. "This is becoming a nightmare," said one shareholder.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:46 PM

Take it easy! I meant it in a funny way! If it didn't sound funny then my German must me a bit rusty! Sorry, if I offended you, Eure Exzellenz Floriss Adja! Keep up the good work!

[QUOTE=sjcrash]
Herrn dummkopf Floriss Adija! That's who built my engine. But none of my problems has anything to do with the engine!?!

so why call him an idiot when none of the problems has anything to do with the engine?
Old 04-07-2005, 02:53 PM

I am glad to hear that the people at the top are paying the price too!

Originally Posted by JohnSLK
Yep the **** is starting to hit the fan from the investor perspective as well the comsumer perspective... I wonder what the title of Jurgen's book will be?

DaimlerChrysler Boss Heckled by Angry Shareholders
Date Posted 04-06-2005

BERLIN — DaimlerChrysler chief executive Jürgen Schrempp faced a hostile reception from fund managers and shareholders at the company's annual meeting yesterday.

One fund manager's quip — "Do you need to shoot yourself in the foot to prove you're a capable doctor?" — won cheers and a round of applause from the packed Berlin convention center.

While they fell short of giving Schrempp a vote of no-confidence, a number of senior fund managers opted to abstain from the traditional symbolic vote approving the performance of the management.

The company's earnings have tumbled in the past year, hit by quality problems at Mercedes-Benz, the collapse of alliances with Mitsubishi and Hyundai, a sales scandal that has seen the sacking of senior German managers, and a $1.56 billion restructuring of the Smart city car business.

Schrempp nevertheless told the audience: "We have made clear progress," claiming the company reached its operating earnings target for the full year despite a drop in fourth-quarter earnings. "We reached our profit target. But we're not satisfied with that," he said.

Shareholders, however, are unconvinced; the company's stock is worth far less than at the time of the 1998 merger between Daimler-Benz and Chrysler. "This is becoming a nightmare," said one shareholder.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:22 AM

2003 E500
Update: Going on five weeks and still not fixed. Service manager thought he had it fixed last week, and drove 30 miles without problem. I picked up the car, and drove maybe five miles before the same thing happened. Apparently the problem is a communication (computer) problem between the transmission controls from the dash and the rest of the systems.

During the time the car has been in the shop, I've been told a "module" is on the way, but doesn't show up. Then the next week a module is on the way - it shows up but doesn't solve the problem.

Supposedly the Jacksonville Region MBUSA representative is on top of the problem. An "engineer" is coming to town next week to go over the car. The local dealer has done all they can and we've been driving a nice ML as a loaner.

Considering that five weeks will pass after our putting maybe 20 miles on a brand new car and it doesn't work, I wonder if MBUSA has done all they can to rectify the problem. I have a problem of them blaming the delay of a fix because it is an "AMG product".

Last edited by Rascal; 04-30-2005 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:16 PM

2006 SLK 55
Thumbs down Lemon Law

Time to bail out on this car? I would get my money back or get a new vehicle (same model).
Old 05-03-2005, 12:35 AM

really sorry to hear about your car. MB really need to get their acts together and look into the QA of their electronic systems.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:49 PM

"Herrn dummkopf Floriss Adija!"

I got it. It gave me a little chuckle
Old 05-03-2005, 07:47 PM

Now what have I done!?! One person wants to cut my throat for making a joke and another (you) finds it funny!

I find it "chuckley" too!

Originally Posted by lisamcgu
"Herrn dummkopf Floriss Adija!"

I got it. It gave me a little chuckle
Old 05-15-2005, 08:52 AM

2003 E500
Final Update

After 6 1/2 weeks and two attempts to fix, M-B will take the car back and let me order a new one. I commend M-B on their handling of this matter. One thing's for sure, I want this car. Last week, after over 100 test miles with no problem, they gave the car to us as fixed. An engineer was brought in to help. They apologized for the amount of test miles, but I understand. The wife and I were able to take a nice top-down drive that evening. What a beautiful car. Alas, the next morning, the same problem showed up again.

So, we get a very nice loaner until the new one comes in, their build slot is mid-July. Not sure if it's a 2006 or not. Wife wants Caspian blue, I prefer Iridium silver, which was the color of this one. Need to decide.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:52 AM

14 'E550
their build slot is mid-July. Not sure if it's a 2006 or not. .
It will definitely be a 2006........
Old 05-15-2005, 03:52 PM

2003 E500
2006 color options

Originally Posted by Beltfed
It will definitely be a 2006........
If you go to the M-B build site, they do not include the SLK55. Are they updating it for the 06 models?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Picked up new SLK55 - WOW - but big problem already