SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Engine cuts off!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 06:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine cuts off!!

Anyone suffered or know about this problem??
Old 04-06-2005, 12:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'07 Carrera S, '31 A 5W hot rod, 4Runner. Sold CLK55
It happens to me every time I remove the key.

How about some details.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:27 PM

Well basically, whilst driving the engine cuts out and I lose all power the engine becomes heavy and the brakes don't respond. This has happened twiced and I have only done 550 miles. About a month ago I read someone has a similar problem but don't know what the fault was. Mercedes have my car but are struggling to find a fault
Old 04-06-2005, 02:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'07 Carrera S, '31 A 5W hot rod, 4Runner. Sold CLK55
I've never heard of this problem. Maybe you have a blockage in your fuel line. Hopefully the dealer will find the fix.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:18 PM
liz

Angry

had a similar problem on a 1994 c-220. While driving down the road at 65mph,or any other speed, the car would just die-steering-everything. Sometimes it would just start back up and be fine for a month, sometime a week , at the end it would take at least 5 min to get it restarted and then it would continually die. Tried fuel injector cleaner, that worked for a while. I tried to have it fixed for 4 years. Never did. right before my new purchase, I was informed by a mechanic, on the side of the road (after my 3rd breakdown in a mile) that it was a fuel pump. Apparently, his brother was having the same issues with his mb and this corrected it. BTW MB service was never able to figure this out. I ended up spending a few thousand dollars, over the four years, in other unneccesary repairs. I assume that the computer didn't register it as faulty so they couldn't figure it out. Also, it could have been a vaccum hose leak. They could never find the leak either, even though you could hear it-very clearly. Good luck.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by liz
had a similar problem on a 1994 c-220. While driving down the road at 65mph,or any other speed, the car would just die-steering-everything. Sometimes it would just start back up and be fine for a month, sometime a week , at the end it would take at least 5 min to get it restarted and then it would continually die. Tried fuel injector cleaner, that worked for a while. I tried to have it fixed for 4 years. Never did. right before my new purchase, I was informed by a mechanic, on the side of the road (after my 3rd breakdown in a mile) that it was a fuel pump. Apparently, his brother was having the same issues with his mb and this corrected it. BTW MB service was never able to figure this out. I ended up spending a few thousand dollars, over the four years, in other unneccesary repairs. I assume that the computer didn't register it as faulty so they couldn't figure it out. Also, it could have been a vaccum hose leak. They could never find the leak either, even though you could hear it-very clearly. Good luck.
Your right about the computer not showing any fault, therefore they are baffled!! Very frustrating I just hope this doesn't take too long to rectify, however, I have a feeling that this may take some time!!
Old 04-11-2005, 07:17 AM

2005 SLK55 AMG
Engine cut off

I had i similar problem on the weekend. As soon as i took the revs over about 3000 i lost power. I'm sure the fuel line was blocked. But why over 3000 rpm? The revs go down again and the power is back. Keep this up and you will have a very uneven drive. So i had to keep it under 3000. I stopped at a fuel station, checked my exhausts for bananas, or potatoes, switched the ESP off and on again, and put 50 rand petrol in. After this the car was ok again. I have no idea why this happened. No error reports from the computer either. I doubt it was the ESP. Maybe an air pocket somewhere which went away when more fuel went into the tank. But that still makes little sense. Another issue i sometimes have is two clicking noises when starting the car. This is also unpredictable. Otherwise it runs like a bomb.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:39 AM
liz

Originally Posted by Mr GEL
I had i similar problem on the weekend. As soon as i took the revs over about 3000 i lost power. I'm sure the fuel line was blocked. But why over 3000 rpm? The revs go down again and the power is back. Keep this up and you will have a very uneven drive. So i had to keep it under 3000. I stopped at a fuel station, checked my exhausts for bananas, or potatoes, switched the ESP off and on again, and put 50 rand petrol in. After this the car was ok again. I have no idea why this happened. No error reports from the computer either. I doubt it was the ESP. Maybe an air pocket somewhere which went away when more fuel went into the tank. But that still makes little sense. Another issue i sometimes have is two clicking noises when starting the car. This is also unpredictable. Otherwise it runs like a bomb.
check the purge valve- for the ticking.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:28 AM

The mechanics still can't find the fault, as far as they are concerned if the computer doesn't show fault it does not exist. Which is nonsense as the fault has occured SIX times in 850 milles. This always happens when accelerating at around 15-20 mph as the car is changing into second the engine cuts out. I am running out of patience, I won't be buying a Merc again that's for sure.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:15 PM

SLK 55 AMG
Originally Posted by happydude
I won't be buying a Merc again that's for sure.
Your loss.

Whilst I understand your situation is definitely not cool, I've clocked 5000miles on my 55 and it works exactly as it should. I've yet to have a single problem on it.

You do understand that when it comes to cars, you'll have those which when built have no problems, and then there's always one that ends up having a defective part.

Our cars are built out of over 10,000 different bits and pieces. If one of them is defective, it could cause all kinds of problems. I just hope you get it fixed, but ranting about it on a forum is not going to help much. You'll have to deal this out with the dealer and tell them to get their a$$ in gear.

Good luck
Old 05-06-2005, 04:39 PM

2005 SLK55 2003 Acura MDX
Well, I guess all the poor dependability studies (VDS) and all the poor customer satisfaction studies and all the poor magazine reports are just a big conspiracy to bring down the Mercedes-Benz Empire!

Originally Posted by Shinigami
Your loss.

Whilst I understand your situation is definitely not cool, I've clocked 5000miles on my 55 and it works exactly as it should. I've yet to have a single problem on it.

You do understand that when it comes to cars, you'll have those which when built have no problems, and then there's always one that ends up having a defective part.

Our cars are built out of over 10,000 different bits and pieces. If one of them is defective, it could cause all kinds of problems. I just hope you get it fixed, but ranting about it on a forum is not going to help much. You'll have to deal this out with the dealer and tell them to get their a$$ in gear.

Good luck
Old 05-06-2005, 05:49 PM
Almost a Member!

1996 C36
happydude , we had this problem with my wife's 1997 merc 3.2 engine Musso.Merc dealer tried everything, took 1.5 years to find that it was the fuel pump which was inside the fuel tank.No problem was registered on the computer diagnostics though.

Replaced fuel pump last week.The car drives much better and so far problem seems solved.

good luck.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:43 PM

2006 SLK 55
Happydude,
I don't think you have actually identified the vehicle model you are talking about. Are we safe to assume it is a SLK 55? It does sound like the fuel pump to me also. Should be an easy fix, no problem. Let us know the outcome.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:43 PM

Hi guys,
Just to clear things up my car is an amg 55, which I enjoy driving but this bad experience has dissapointed me greatly. I can accept the fact cars do and always will go wrong from time to time. But I can't accept Mercedes telling me there is no fault with the car because the computer says so . Unless Mercedes believe it is normal for their cars to cut off whilst driving it can only be a fault . I will inform the mechanics about the possibilty of there being a fault with the fuel pump.
Thanks for the feedback.

Regards Happydude - NOT
Old 05-10-2005, 06:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W208
[QUOTE=H-MAN]It happens to me every time I remove the key.

Old 05-12-2005, 05:00 AM

SLK 55 AMG
Originally Posted by happydude
But I can't accept Mercedes telling me there is no fault with the car because the computer says so
Ofcourse you should NOT accept that. Your technician is apparently not a very good one if he pulls such a trick on you.

You have a problem, the car is not performing up to your expectations, MB has to fix it. If they tell you there's no problem, they're just trying to circumvent/buy time/etc... they're not being very professional about this. Some dealers really are losers, wish I could pass you mine, I bet they'd get your car up and running in a jiffy.