SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Is the SLK55 a "Chick car"?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SLK55 AMG
Just couldn't hold out any longer

Really this whole topic is just so lamely inane, it doesn't bear commenting, but I could only hold out for a week....

So, OMG, nobody told me, I've now put my SLK55 up on ebay, what a fool I was, duh......

Really this topic (on just about any car) I would expect from my teenager and friends, anyway....

rrobello, you seem like a decent guy (especially with the last post, bowing out versus continuing to continue to troll ), so at the risk of also pissing you off, three comments...

First, your long thesis reads EXACTLY like someone sitting at a computer reading marketing literature versus driving (much less owning) either or both.

I apologize, if I'm incorrect.

Second, it has been discussed ad infinitem, but the SLK55 is not 4.9 in the sixty. Yes that is MB's literature number (with speculation it was done on purpose). R/T got 4.5 repeatedly. C&D got 4.3 (yes that's right FASTER than MB published SL55). A couple of non-pros on the forum's have posted 4.5 or 4.6s.

Finally, I see women (girls, chicks?) on Harley around here all the time. (This has about the same statisical relevance as your observation you keep using). I can't wait to get on the HD forums and tell them what a bunch of sissies they are (mind if I use your name and address? )
Old 07-13-2005, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by blkslk55
you are not picking fights! it's all good.....i read your long post before this. get the june issue of car and driver and have a read on the slk55 it will surprise you!
I know I wasnt trying to pick a fight...I just have noticed from being on many other forums that when someone posts something that seems to be very controversial there they get labeled as being someone trying to disrupt the fun peaceful community and I just want poeple to know thats not what I was trying to do. So I will gladly add to anything if someone would like my oppinion on things or like to debate it further, but it is just my oppinion so I do not want to **** anyone off being the newbie here and will tone it back a few notches....

yeah I wish I couldve found updated info on the SL55 to do a better comparison but for somereason sites were down and not working and the 03 model was the best I could come up with, I didnt want to post speculation on my part.

I am sure the SLK is an awesome car, but that doesnt change my mind that it looks "girlie" to me. Same goes for the lotus elise, crossfire, S2000, monster miata, and several other cars that I am sure are wonderful cars, I just wouldnt buy one because its not my cup of tea. Nothing wrong with buying a car and basing a huge part of that decision on looks, men do it too, thats where the "girls car" label comes from, we look at a car and think thats too feminine looking I wont drive that, which is to say that their is nothing wrong with a car being girlie at all, its just I dont care for the looks to much because of it feminine feel and would buy something different.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by bloflin
rrobello, you seem like a decent guy (especially with the last post, bowing out versus continuing to continue to troll ), so at the risk of also pissing you off, three comments...

First, your long thesis reads EXACTLY like someone sitting at a computer reading marketing literature versus driving (much less owning) either or both.

I apologize, if I'm incorrect.

Second, it has been discussed ad infinitem, but the SLK55 is not 4.9 in the sixty. Yes that is MB's literature number (with speculation it was done on purpose). R/T got 4.5 repeatedly. C&D got 4.3 (yes that's right FASTER than MB published SL55). A couple of non-pros on the forum's have posted 4.5 or 4.6s.

Finally, I see women (girls, chicks?) on Harley around here all the time. (This has about the same statisical relevance as your observation you keep using). I can't wait to get on the HD forums and tell them what a bunch of sissies they are (mind if I use your name and address? )
No as I stated I pulled the numbers off the Mercedes website, and I being an enthusiasts of cars realize that more often than not these numbers are wrong, that real life numbers can go either up or down from those stated by the manufactuer, and most of the time with performance vehicles, the numbers usually are better in real life, but you are forgetting that this is true across the board not just for the SLK so the numbers posted about the SL are also probably not as good as they really are, but for the sake of arguement lets say that Mercedes fudged the numbers relatively equally between the two cars and didnt just really sandbag it just for the SLK, so it would be safe to say that in real life the SL55 will still be faster then the SLK55.

And for the record I never called anyone a sissy for buying an SLK55, I said that IN MY OPPINION, the car looks a bit "girlie," nothing wrong with being girlie, I would hate it if women were manly. This is whats wrong with the world today everyone wants to be so equal when in fact they aren't, yes lets be equal on the rights one deserves, but lets not forget that women and men are different for a reason and its a good thing. So ladies when a guy says things are girlie please do not be offended, it may come off as the wrong way to say it, but we love that you are girlie, if not I would just hang out with my guy friends all day. So go on buying "ladylike vehicles" that you look damn good driving, an continue being an enthusiasts and you will be good in my book, I think you will definately find much respect among your male counterpart enthusiasts.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2007 CL600
Originally Posted by blkslk55
look at the performance the slk55 delivers compared to the sl55.....for a stupid amount of differance in $$, you get similar results. (from a guy's perspective).
I disagree, sit in an SLK and then sit in an SL55. It's like going from a cardboard box to a velvet-lined vault (and I like the SLK). You don't even have to start the engine.

My wife, who is 4' 9.5" could not reach the pedals on the SLK. We've never looked back.

The SLK is girlie looking, but I'd like to have one in my garage.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by The Godfather
lol Jesus Christ!! Lisa only said it "stupid SL drivers" as a joke, kidding, poking fun, not that she truly believes they're idiots.
Whoa!

rrobello -

RE-FRIGGIN-LAX

I didn't even read his diatribe, but saw the first part where he compares the SLK55 to the SL55. Obviously, my comment was for the regular SL 500.

And even though SLs, all kinds, are dime a dzn where I live and don't get up front and comments from the valets or the looks that are afforded my little baby Platinum SLK55, I know the difference. Anyone I see with a 65 is my god!
Old 07-14-2005, 01:39 AM

1992 500E
Originally Posted by lisamcgu
You've seen lots of SLK55s in La Costa? Are you sure they weren't 350s?

Lisa, I live in Carlsbad (LOL ... since when is La Costa and Aviara cities - they are fricking neighborhoods in Carlsbad! ... LOL!) and I have yet seen a SLK55 on the street. Sure, I see quite a few at Hoehn Mercedes, but the ones I see here in North San Diego County are SLK350s.

SLK55 = one hell'va performance car ... NOT a chick car!
Old 07-14-2005, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Cannoli
Lisa, I live in Carlsbad (LOL ... since when is La Costa and Aviara cities - they are fricking neighborhoods in Carlsbad! ... LOL!) and I have yet seen a SLK55 on the street. Sure, I see quite a few at Hoehn Mercedes, but the ones I see here in North San Diego County are SLK350s.

SLK55 = one hell'va performance car ... NOT a chick car!

I said La Costa to be specific to the area of Carlsbad I never called it a city, as you know La Costa and Aviara are way different then the rest of Carlsbad, I would be surprised to see a Mercedes owned by someone that lived in the northern part of Carlsbad. And as far as not seeing one around, open your eyes and pay a little more attention, have you even noticed the two Maybachs around town or the 3 SL65s (at least 3 that I know of).
Old 07-14-2005, 05:42 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
All cars are for girls.
Real men use their legs and some shoes.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:59 AM

Whoa!

rrobello -

RE-FRIGGIN-LAX

I didn't even read his diatribe, but saw the first part where he compares the SLK55 to the SL55. Obviously, my comment was for the regular SL 500.

And even though SLs, all kinds, are dime a dzn where I live and don't get up front and comments from the valets or the looks that are afforded my little baby Platinum SLK55, I know the difference. Anyone I see with a 65 is my god!
Read my diatribe???? You should go back and read through your posts...not once do you ever mention the SL500, you were the one that compared the SLK55 to the SL55 and 65 first so I ran with it and did an actuall comparison instead of just stating stuff that is made up by saying they are pretty much the same car (SL55 and SLK55).

and why are you responding to godfathers quote
"Originally Posted by The Godfather
lol Jesus Christ!! Lisa only said it "stupid SL drivers" as a joke, kidding, poking fun, not that she truly believes they're idiots."
like he was talking about me....it was phonetics that called you out for calling owners of SL55s stupid not I....
"Originally Posted by phonetics
Why you call people idiots for buying something you can't afford? You are like laughing at people who own a Ferrari when you are driving a Mazda Miata."

maybe you should read my diatribe, its not as stupid as you probably think its going to be....and whos being the unsensable one by commenting on what someone said without even reading it in its entirity, how do you know I didnt eventually come to a conclusion that I agreed with you that the SLK55 is the best fricken car on the planet, I didnt say that, but you should read it, I said it is a good car, but explain why it is I think it looks girlie.

"Anyone I see with a 65 is my god!" what would you think about someone in an SLR...sheesh.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
"Anyone I see with a 65 is my god!" what would you think about someone in an SLR...sheesh.

That someone paid almost twice as much for the same performance.

That the SL65 can at least be a convertible (must be whe Trump got the SLR...his hair would have gotten disheveled).

That I'd like one in blue.

Oops...those are my thoughts! PS...I just saw the SLR on Top Gear last night...wow!
Old 07-14-2005, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by WIldcat465
I disagree, sit in an SLK and then sit in an SL55. It's like going from a cardboard box to a velvet-lined vault (and I like the SLK). You don't even have to start the engine.

My wife, who is 4' 9.5" could not reach the pedals on the SLK. We've never looked back.

i agree to disagree with you on this, in that, i am commenting more on the performance as per original comparison done by rrobello.
the difference in $$ for similar performance is not worth buying the sl55. very simple decision for me as i am not concerned about all the "velvet" which is more improtant to some others.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:52 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Originally Posted by WIldcat465

The SLK interior is inferior to the SL. The SLK55 interior is only slightly inferior to the SL (from a luxury standpoint, but the SLK55 is more sporting, as it should be).

You should sit in an SLK55, then an SL (I have & the difference is minor). I have also sat in an SLK350, then my 55. There is a major difference (seats, quality & placement of leather & some other factors you notice when seated).

See ya,
-Matt
Old 07-14-2005, 06:16 PM

SLK55, Murcielago
Well, I have had quite a few people mention that my car is a chick car. I just wanted opinions from other SLK55 owners on this board...I didn't want to start a fight.

Also - I have both the SL and SLK55's and there is no contest between the two. The SL is a better car IMO.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:39 PM

Ferrrari 458 Lamborghini SL 570-4 Mercedes CLS63
Chick Car....Big Time
Old 07-14-2005, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by rrobello
Read my diatribe???? ... "Anyone I see with a 65 is my god!" what would you think about someone in an SLR...sheesh.
Again, I didn't read your diatribe. I checked out when you wanted every girl who bought the SLK55 to admit she did so because it was "cute".

For the record, I would rather have an SLK55 than an SL55 or, definitely, a 500. Everyone keeps talking about the interior being better on the SL, like that makes the decision, but the performance just isn't enough to justify paying so much more and without the updated styling, etc. I would feel like a fool, an idiot, okay.

Now, a 65, the design isn't updated, but the performance ... yuuuummmm! When it gets an updated hood style, its mine

And when the SLR doesn't have such an inflated over MSRP price (and I can afford it), then ITS mine!
Old 07-15-2005, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by AMGgirl
Well, I have had quite a few people mention that my car is a chick car. I just wanted opinions from other SLK55 owners on this board...I didn't want to start a fight.

Also - I have both the SL and SLK55's and there is no contest between the two. The SL is a better car IMO.
AMGgirl...you need to switch the rims you have on the SLK55 to the SL...that would definately be lovely in a "manly" way !
Old 07-15-2005, 01:11 AM

Again, I didn't read your diatribe. I checked out when you wanted every girl who bought the SLK55 to admit she did so because it was "cute".

For the record, I would rather have an SLK55 than an SL55 or, definitely, a 500. Everyone keeps talking about the interior being better on the SL, like that makes the decision, but the performance just isn't enough to justify paying so much more and without the updated styling, etc. I would feel like a fool, an idiot, okay.

Now, a 65, the design isn't updated, but the performance ... yuuuummmm! When it gets an updated hood style, its mine

And when the SLR doesn't have such an inflated over MSRP price (and I can afford it), then ITS mine!
You should really read my diatribe you keep proving my point....
the design isn't updated ....When it gets an updated hood style...without the updated styling....it keeps coming back to looks....

but the performance just isn't enough to justify paying so much more ...and the huge difference in price between the SLR and SL55 or 65 is????
the SL55 (03 model) has 117 horses more and .5 secs faster 0-60 than the 05 SLK 55....
the SLR has 124 more horses and .4 secs faster 0-60 then the SL55 (03 model)
so let me get this straight 117 additional HP and .5 secs faster IS NOT worth $60,000, but 124 additional HP and .4 secs faster IS worth over $300,000????
or when comparing the SL55 to the 65(which you said people that buy them are gods to you: so why didnt you buy one since you can afford an SLR, certainly you can then afford to be a "god", so I am assuming you would say its worth buying) the 65 has 119 more HP and .3 secs faster 0-60 then the 55 for an additional $60,000, this is about the same difference between the SL55 and the SLK55, so why is this worth it and the SL55 isnt....I guess I just dont follow your reasoning here. And again if it were about performance why not buy the 911 Turbo that is just as fast and handles better than the SL65 but is 100,000 cheaper????

And when the SLR doesn't have such an inflated over MSRP price (and I can afford it), then ITS mine![/... when that happens it will be because a newer faster version of the car will have come out and you will want that....besides if you can afford that why not go and become a "god" and buy an SL65 in the mean time?????

And I believe since you are not going to read what I originally wrote, very eduacted way to debate someone (not knowing what their arguement actually is) by the way, let me reiterate....I never said the SLK55 was a bad car in fact I said I am sure it is a good car, and very quick when compared to other vehicles and heck obviously its going to be luxurious, its a Mercedes, but the whole point of this topic is whether or not it is a "girls" car, and in my oppinion what makes a car a "girls" car is the looks not anything else and to me this car looks "girlie" and again there is nothing wrong with that, just not my personal preference.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:26 AM

1992 500E
Originally Posted by rrobello
. And as far as not seeing one around, open your eyes and pay a little more attention, have you even noticed the two Maybachs around town or the 3 SL65s (at least 3 that I know of).
Oh please, don't lecture me ... those cars ARE in my neighborhood. Stop the pretentious name dropping. Be proud of where you live - Carlsbad.

Old 07-15-2005, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by Cannoli
Oh please, don't lecture me ... those cars ARE in my neighborhood. Stop the pretentious name dropping. Be proud of where you live - Carlsbad.

I appologize if I came off as being pretentious, I was just trying to give a more accurate location as you know Carlsbad is very large and so to be specific I thought would be helpful, I could care less were I live, in fact I too think it is rediculous that people distinguishe between Aviara and Lo Costa or Encinitas and Cardiff, but I was trying to narrow down the search for you to find these elusive SLKs

Oh please, don't lecture me ... those cars ARE in my neighborhood... I thought you said you havent seen any..."I live in Carlsbad (LOL ... since when is La Costa and Aviara cities - they are fricking neighborhoods in Carlsbad! ... LOL!) and I have yet seen a SLK55 on the street."...which is it have you not seen any or am I right and there are several around here?
Old 07-15-2005, 08:12 AM

SLK55
Who else is updating their ignore list?
Old 07-15-2005, 10:04 AM

SLK55, Murcielago
Originally Posted by AMGfan
AMGgirl...you need to switch the rims you have on the SLK55 to the SL...that would definately be lovely in a "manly" way !
The wheels on the SLK are too small for the SL...I put black HRE's on it...
https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-sl63-amg-sl65-amg-r230/111037-hre-540r-pictures.html

Last edited by AMGgirl; 07-15-2005 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:29 AM

i drive an ///M6
in terms of looks, not performance, the w170 was moreso than the w171, (although jenna jameson has a cl identical to mine, so mebbie i have a "girlie" car, too ) most small, sporty drop-topps or conv's can be construed as "chic cars", but not necessarily are-- you're pretty safe from being "femmie" with that "55"
Old 07-15-2005, 10:57 AM

rrobello -

For the THIRD time, I'm not reading your diatribes. I read the first line on your last one and tuned out as you put your foot in your mouth yet AGAIN.

I want the updated styling or design so it won't look like every other SL, including, especially, past years models WITHOUT the performance, clogging the streets where I live. Right now, IN MY SLK, I could have the performance of a new SL just by stopping into my neighborhood tuning shop for a measly extra $10,000 AND stand apart from the crowd and have everyone know its a new car. For those that don't know, its hard to tell this year's SL from last year's and the year before that and ...

If you feel such a stringent need to be right, YES, its about looks, partly, but NOT as far as being "cute". Its about being UPDATED so everyone knows your car is one of the new generation of monster PERFORMANCE cars.

You don't seem to get the difference between girls that drive SLK55s and SLK350s. To even own a 350 is something, but to have the 55, you have to be a girl that wants to go FAAAAASSSSST, and you want to get away from the still kinda toyota look of the 350 and get those flares and extras going so the car not only goes FAST, it looks like it goes FAST.

Does everyone get we are talking here about a SLK55, not a 350? Read the Forum name people (read: rrobello).

Last edited by lisamcgu; 07-15-2005 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:58 PM

rrobello -

For the THIRD time, I'm not reading your diatribes. I read the first line on your last one and tuned out as you put your foot in your mouth yet AGAIN.

I want the updated styling or design so it won't look like every other SL, including, especially, past years models WITHOUT the performance, clogging the streets where I live. Right now, IN MY SLK, I could have the performance of a new SL just by stopping into my neighborhood tuning shop for a measly extra $10,000 AND stand apart from the crowd and have everyone know its a new car. For those that don't know, its hard to tell this year's SL from last year's and the year before that and ...

If you feel such a stringent need to be right, YES, its about looks, partly, but NOT as far as being "cute". Its about being UPDATED so everyone knows your car is one of the new generation of monster PERFORMANCE cars.

You don't seem to get the difference between girls that drive SLK55s and SLK350s. To even own a 350 is something, but to have the 55, you have to be a girl that wants to go FAAAAASSSSST, and you want to get away from the still kinda toyota look of the 350 and get those flares and extras going so the car not only goes FAST, it looks like it goes FAST.

Does everyone get we are talking here about a SLK55, not a 350? Read the Forum name people (read: rrobello).

Man...I think your the one not getting my point, but then you never read my post so how can you know what my point is.....I NEVER said the SLK55 was a slow car or had no power....I said that IN MY OPPINION it looks girlie. But that is my own oppinion and you are entitled to yours. Also again there is nothing wrong with it being girlie, just not my preference. All I was doing was responding to the TOPIC of the SLK55 being a girlie car or not.

And yes I DO get what we are talking about here...the SLK55 and not the 350, I have never even mentioned the 350 once (except perhaps in response to one of your comments, you keep doing that.

But whatever I am done....enjoy your car....it is very nice.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by AMGgirl

I like the cars...great choice in color, maybe I should post in the SL55 section my opinions, probably will be better accepted...jk....again love the cars.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is the SLK55 a "Chick car"?