SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Just a few questions...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 04:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a few questions...

Hi again everyone,

I just had a few questions about our cars.

1) How easy is it to remove the front orange reflectors? Please tell me how if you know.

2) Is there a toolbox & a flashlight somewhere in the car?

3) Anyone know where to order the shorter antennas?

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-05-2005, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JBRhee
Hi again everyone,

I just had a few questions about our cars.

1) How easy is it to remove the front orange reflectors? Please tell me how if you know.

2) Is there a toolbox & a flashlight somewhere in the car?

3) Anyone know where to order the shorter antennas?

Thanks in advance!
1. Use a flat screwdriver and take it off from the edge (side)
2. No, there is only the first aid kid and the wrench in the trunk
3. Get it from the dealership, order the ones for the SL. However, the SL antennas come pre-painted. If you change the antenna itself, the base will be left in black. If you want to make it look really nice, you have to get the SL antenna base as well.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:06 AM

Thanks for the reply harris.

You stated that the reflectors should be removed from the edge. Does that mean I should pry it from the front side of the car towards the back? or from the back of the car towards the front? Please let me know if you can. I don't want to leave any scratches on my car.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by JBRhee
Thanks for the reply harris.

You stated that the reflectors should be removed from the edge. Does that mean I should pry it from the front side of the car towards the back? or from the back of the car towards the front? Please let me know if you can. I don't want to leave any scratches on my car.
The reflectors are "snapped" on the bumper. Try to find the openings along the edges. If I am not mistaken, it should be from the back towards the front. But dont take my words 100%, I didnt drive the 171 today, I cant check it for you right away.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:06 AM
Almost a Member!

05 SLK350, 03 350Z
Originally Posted by Harris
3. Get it from the dealership, order the ones for the SL. However, the SL antennas come pre-painted. If you change the antenna itself, the base will be left in black. If you want to make it look really nice, you have to get the SL antenna base as well.
I bought an SL antenna base and it wouldn't fit on the SLK. If you've got it to work, please tell me how you did it.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SLK350Z
I bought an SL antenna base and it wouldn't fit on the SLK. If you've got it to work, please tell me how you did it.

Huh? It doesnt fit??? Oh no! I've got one ordered from Germany. The parts advisor said it should fit. Damn!

Thanks for the info!
Old 07-12-2005, 05:39 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
1) use a PLASTIC wedge (not a screwdriver) when taking the sidemarker out as you do not want to scratch anything up
3) when changing the antennamast out for a shorter one you will have to compensate the lack of reception by adding a bumper antenna...just swapping out the mast leaves you with reception loss.

greetingz,
Old 07-12-2005, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by MBenzNL
1) use a PLASTIC wedge (not a screwdriver) when taking the sidemarker out as you do not want to scratch anything up
3) when changing the antennamast out for a shorter one you will have to compensate the lack of reception by adding a bumper antenna...just swapping out the mast leaves you with reception loss.

greetingz,
THanks for the reply MBenzNL, but the reflectors on the R171 are not clipped on. They're actually screwed on from the back which means you have to remove a part of the fender before removing it. Check out my post on "Everything you want to know about reflectors."