SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Everything you wanted to know about reflectors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everything you wanted to know about reflectors

This post is to give everyone information about the reflectors on the R171. I just got back from a European tuning shop, and they removed both reflectors so that I could get them painted.

They are NOT clipped on, so don't try to pry them off. They are screwed on from the back, which means you need to unscrew a part of the fender to reveal two screws on the inside of the reflectors.

Also, European Impact Strips are not available for this model because it is part of the bumper. You would have to replace the entire bumper to get rid of the reflectors completely.

I will post some pics of my car with the painted reflectors once I get them in next week. I was going to smoke them with 2 layers but I have a silver car, and the people there recommended I just paint them the body color to match the rest of the car.

I hope this post helps someone...
Old 07-07-2005, 07:57 PM

'06 SLK55 AMG
Why don't you want the reflectors? Just curious; I consider anything that might prevent my car from getting hit at night a GOOD thing.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Florp
Why don't you want the reflectors? Just curious; I consider anything that might prevent my car from getting hit at night a GOOD thing.
It's really more about personal preference. I personally hate the orange reflectors. In europe, they don't even have reflectors on their cars.

Besides, don't you think our xenons illuminate bright enough for others to see where we are? And, we do have our side mirror turn signals for when we signal...

ANyway, here's a pic of what our car looks like over in Europe.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First of all, I want to apologize for the wrong info that I have given you on your other post.

I couldnt believe why Mercedes would design the reflector in such a way. This so stupid. Which means you have to remove the fender panels everytime you want to change the bulbs! Silly design!!
Old 07-07-2005, 08:32 PM

'06 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by JBRhee

Besides, don't you think our xenons illuminate bright enough for others to see where we are? And, we do have our side mirror turn signals for when we signal...
True, but I think the reflectors are for when you're just parked somewhere. I've had more cars damaged just sitting in a parking lot than on the road.

But I do have to agree that it's a cleaner look without them.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Florp
True, but I think the reflectors are for when you're just parked somewhere. I've had more cars damaged just sitting in a parking lot than on the road.

But I do have to agree that it's a cleaner look without them.
Hahah, but the reflectors don't light up when you're parked somewhere.

Harris,
Thanks for always being responsive. Mercedes did make a mistake designing it like that. :p

Also, do you happen to know how to replace the turn signal lights in the front and back? I just cant seem to get to the bulb.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:20 PM

2005 SLK55 AMG
Rhetorical question I guess, but since the "bumper strips" are NOT strips but just an integral part of the bumper.... why are the there??

It just adds another groove/line to clean and keep wax/polycoat out of. And makes a clear bra installation harder.

I had put up with "bumper strip" lines as part of the design/manufacturing process on other cars (like the unsightly circles for "parktronic"), but now to find out they are just molded into the bumper for "looks"... I don't get it!