Best launch method

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c32
Best launch method

Hey guys,

Working on getting some pics of my baby up for ya but until then what is the best launch method for acceleration inthis car? I am assuming its using M mode and manually shifting.

What is the different between all the shifting mods you have noticed?
Old 10-09-2005, 01:48 PM

06 SLK55
Originally Posted by ardy6931
Hey guys,

Working on getting some pics of my baby up for ya but until then what is the best launch method for acceleration inthis car? I am assuming its using M mode and manually shifting.

What is the different between all the shifting mods you have noticed?
Definatlye not M Mode. S mode is the best for 1/4 mile times. It shifts perfectly at redline something you CANNOT do with consistency in m mode. Have fun!
Old 10-09-2005, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 Yukon XL Denali, '06 Eclipse GS
I can't speak from experience, but I can tell you what other model AMG owners use. Due to ESP preventing wheel spin, in order to "gun" it go easy on the throttle at first, then begin a gradual flooring, as opposed to the stomp-and-floor method (which triggers ESP inevitably). This method has helped some members achieve some incredible times, stock or not.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:26 PM

'06 SLK55 AMG, del Sol VTEC
The best quarter mile and 0-60 times all seem to be the result of putting the ESP in "Dyno Mode" (i.e. completely off) and leaving the tranny in "S" .
Old 10-09-2005, 05:05 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
'05 SLK55, Obsidian, black/red, light and premium pkg., COMAND with nav, airscarf, Sirius
I've acheived my best times by turning the ESP off (which doesn't really turn ESP all the way off, it reduces the threshold at which it activates) and using S mode. I start off at full throttle, which of course produces wheel spin, and then backing off on the throttle slightly to reduce, but not completely eliminate the wheelspin. I get wheelspin all the way through first and second gears. In my experience dyno mode produced even more excessive wheelspin.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:09 PM

AMG
Originally Posted by lennyr
The best quarter mile and 0-60 times all seem to be the result of putting the ESP in "Dyno Mode" (i.e. completely off) and leaving the tranny in "S" .

how can you put in in dyno mode?
Old 10-09-2005, 07:03 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
'05 SLK55, Obsidian, black/red, light and premium pkg., COMAND with nav, airscarf, Sirius
From Car & Driver magazine:

For years we've complained about the butt-in behavior of the electronic stability programs in Mercedes-Benzes, which automatically intervene to shut down power and braking when they think your driving needs help. A dashboard switch suggests the program can be turned off, but it can't—it just kicks in at what it sees as a more intemperate level of driving on your part. We were convinced it simply could not be shut off.

Well, Benz lovers, we found a way.

Here's how. To start, turn the ignition key to the first accessory position, making sure the dash display shows the odometer. The SRS airbag light should be on. Press the trip odometer reset button three times rapidly before it goes off. If you do this right, a screen will appear showing a voltmeter. Then press the "up" arrow on the left side of the wheel twice to take you to the "ESP dynamometer test" screen. Using the plus (+) button on the right side of the wheel, select "on." And then start the car. Warnings will appear informing you that the ESP, ABS, and BAS (brake assist) aids are now turned off and you're on your own.

If you did it right, you've put the car in a mode intended for diagnostic testing on a rolling dynamometer—all electronic supervision is unplugged. Unhindered by techno-aids, the SLK's grip on the skidpad improved by 0.03 g compared with simply hitting the ESP switch on the dash. To return all the safety technology, scroll back to the dyno test screen and select "w/t. 15 off" with the minus (-) button. Shutting off all the electronic aids isn't easy, and that should tell you something. Owners are not generally privy to the dynamometer mode; therefore, we will continue to publish test numbers attained with the dashboard ESP switch turned off. We just thought you'd want to know
Old 10-09-2005, 07:05 PM

c32
nice.