SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

price question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
slk55, 530i, z4
price question

Does it make you feel bad if I ask you a question howmuch did you guys pay for your car?

Because I am going to picj my car up this friday....so I want to know I can deal price with sales man.

Actually sale guy told me I have to pay exactly sticker price no less, no more than sticker price... Is that right?

If it was taboo question, I am really sorry.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:42 PM
ON PROBATION

MSRP is the MOST you should ever pay for one. $1000 - $4000 USD off sticker is very typical, and represents a compromise on dealer mark-up. US is a big country and there are almost always other cars out there, on the ground, available. MBUSA's minimum 'dealer mark-up' built into MSRP on an AMG model is $4000 USD....
Only if you want a very special build, there are no other cars built that way in the country or coming to the country; and you're not willing to order one and wait to take delivery should you ever pay MSRP or 'sticker' -- in my opinion.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55
All depends how good you are to the dealer. i.e. the cars you've purchased from the same dealership.

Dinko
Old 12-21-2005, 09:14 PM

Price

I paid right at sticker price. I'd never dealt with the dealer before (nor bought a Mercedes, for that matter), and my attempts at price negotiation were met with a polite invitation to pay list or go somewhere else! It wasn't that big a deal to me, and I wanted to deal locally, so I paid up.

I have noticed that another local dealer (about an hour's drive from my house) is still asking above sticker for SLK55s -- another reason why I didn't scream too loudly about what I paid. In addition, Edmunds' "what people are actually paying" price on their web site was also right at list.

I'm not a great negotiator, but not a terrible one, either -- in fact, when it comes to buying high-priced watches, I'd rate myself pretty highly. So, for what it's worth...
Old 12-21-2005, 09:50 PM
Almost a Member!

CLK55 AMG
I got 1.5k msrp off from the dealer that my I had bought 3 cars from them b4
However I got 3k msrp off from another local dealer which I never bought a car from them, and it took me only 15 mins to bargin.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:38 PM
ON PROBATION

I usually get $2-4K off sticker -- but then I buy cars from all over the country, and I tell them that up front. Even at that, we both know that I am letting the salesman keep a 'higher' sale and the dealership keep some 'unwarranted profit' (in a professional sale pros almost always pay no more than $1000 over invoice).
Go from there. It is most often "PT Barnum Time" when someone calls or walks into a dealership -- if you can't buy the car from anywhere else, and if you have to have it or you will die tomorrow and therefore can't wait to get it from somewhere else or for the price to come down...then by all means pay sticker.....
Old 12-22-2005, 01:05 PM

12 CLS550, 09 CLS550, 04Cooper,10 Cooper S
Being an AMG, this is the samllest discount i have every recieved on a car which was $1000 on an o6. I was very particular on coulor, interior trim and options and did not want any test drive miles on my car. The dealer traded for a car that was on a ship. I waited 2 weeks from having initiated talks with the dealer to delivery.

I would not pay over MSRP on this car. I would expect a bigger discount if it were a 05 left over. This is probably the best time to ask for a discount on this car. Come summer MSRP is likely going to be the best you can get.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:40 PM

2006 SLK55 AMG; 2010 Dodge Challenger SRT8; and 2004 PT Cruiser GT Turbo (Modified)
Dinko has it right - My dealer in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan is considered a "high volume" dealer and gets a larger allocation especially on Hot selling vehicles. This dealer would deal if I had previously purchased prior vehicles from him. My dealer's position was "No discount on AMG vehicles". As a DaimlerChrysler retiree, I get 12.25% off sticker on most vehicles but not those vehicles in high demand (SL600 for example). The dealer did throw in extras (Car cover & more) when I identified an error in both website and SLK55 booklet compared to the delivered vehicle. He also stated that dealers in Florida and California are getting $5,000 to $15,000 over sticker and he could sell his allocation to Chicago for $3000 to $5000 over sticker.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:38 PM

'06 SLK55 Black/Black
First post.

Got my car 4 weeks ago. Went to dealer ~150 miles away to get $2,500 lower price than MSRP offered by nearby dealer.

Love this car!
Old 12-22-2005, 06:25 PM

SLK 55 AMG
Swiss prices are a bit different. I paid around 125k chf, which translated to about $100k. That's with all the options etc...

Kinda sucks that MB sells the vehicles for so much less in the states :\ It's hard to haggle prices over here...
Old 12-22-2005, 06:43 PM
ON PROBATION

My experience is that MBUSA prices are better than anywhere else I've looked. I think that it's because such a large % of their sales must continue to come from here......
I feel for you guys in Europe -- especially when you've got to add VAT on top of that.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:23 PM

Lamborghini Gallardo, Turbo, SLK 55, E350 4Matic, Xterra
got mine at the end of summer someone cancelled there order. i got them down $3850 off msrp plus the 2x amg license frames/hat/2x shirts/4 mb (not dealer) key chains..

make sure to get some stuff from the mb collection just to spice up the deal abit.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:25 PM
ON PROBATION

Oh yeah: wheel locks, car cover, all season floor mats, cargo net floor, and 2 coffee cups is my usual...LOL
Old 12-23-2005, 12:12 AM

I paid sticker.

In hindsight I wish I would have asked for $1000 off or so. Usually when I buy a car I have the salesman begging and crying because I'm treating them so bad . But the slk was a new league type car for me (first car over 50K), and I was so star struck that I was willing to pay anything

I don't mind too much though, because my salesman hooked me up. An slk suprisingly became available and he called me before the other sales folks could bring in their customers. Basically, I ordered an SLK, thinking I had to wait 3 months. But due to my salesguy I was driving one in less then a week from my order...
Old 12-23-2005, 04:21 AM
Almost a Member!

SLK55, SL600, A4
Msrp

I paid msrp through military sales but avoided delivery and dealer prep since I picked it up at the factory. The local dealer that I purchased through gave me the windschott for free as well as taking care of a few other small things I wanted done for free. The salesman was great which made paying msrp easier, especially when I looked at the German spec vehicle prices.
Old 01-22-2006, 03:39 AM

Cool on purchasing AMG cars...

I've owned 3 amg cars over the course of 5 years. Currently I aquired a 06 slk 55 amg loaded from FJ Mercedes Newport Beach. In dealing in these performance cars I have found that going to the dealership that has the most of them will give you the best deal. Dealers have to pay flooring costs on the cars that they bring in. They need to turn cars every x amount of days. If you catch them at the end of the month and they are a big dealership they are more apt to sell an amg below sticker to rather move a unit then sit on one like a smaller dealership. In the case of my slk55 amg I was able to get 8k off of sticker. I paid with 0 out of pocket 69k out the door with Tax and licencing on a MSRP of 71000.

Rules;

Check out Invoice on Edmunds.com

Go to the biggest dealership

Find out how many cars are on the lot

Go talk to the sales manager

Make an offer at invoice and say that you will not pay a cent over

get him at the end of the evening and at the end of the month.

They are willing to give cars away at the end of the month to boost production and numbers.

Be willing to walk away from the deal if its not the deal that you want.

Some cases if you go to walk out the door they will come back running for you.

Try these tips and I'm sure you will get a great deal!

06 slk 55 amg
Old 01-22-2006, 03:54 AM

the stickeron my window was 69,275....i low balled the dealer and got it for 69000 out the door with taxes and everything......
Old 01-23-2006, 01:21 AM
Almost a Member!

SLK 350
Originally Posted by ClayJ
My experience is that MBUSA prices are better than anywhere else I've looked. I think that it's because such a large % of their sales must continue to come from here......
I feel for you guys in Europe -- especially when you've got to add VAT on top of that.
US can have a VAT too. In place of an income tax, it will reduce consumption and promote export. This was promoted by Lawrance Lindsey, Director of the National Economic Council at the White House during Bush's first term. But no one with the right political mind will go for it.

Since 2000, the household debt minus construction cost trend has risen dramatically. Some of this debt had gone to buy expensive cars.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
i got 2.5k off sticker when the clk55 just came out
i had 2 wait for 2 days because they had 2 get it from a different dealership cause i wanted specific options (keyless go, rear window shade and xenons).
i ended up getting a fully loaded 1 b/c thats the only 1 that was available w/ the optiones i wanted in the color i wanted (blk or slvr)
Old 01-23-2006, 11:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C63
Our dealer (Mercedes Benz of Devon) does not negotiate off the sticker price for AMG vehicles and I paid the sticker price.
They did throw in a pair of MB all weather mats and car cover at no cost.
Considering the limited numbers of AMG produced cars, it is no surprise that a new AMG would be at or just below the sticker cost.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:29 PM

'06 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by jhslk55amg
Check out Invoice on Edmunds.com
Go to the biggest dealership
Find out how many cars are on the lot
Go talk to the sales manager
Make an offer at invoice and say that you will not pay a cent over
Those are all great, effective tactics for buying a car off the lot. But if you're custom-ordering an SLK55 (which most people seem to do, since there are rarely 55s sitting on the lot), then they go right out the window, and you'll most likely pay full sticker or very close to it.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:03 PM

360 Spider
Right now, in the current marketplace (Winter '06), I would not pay a penny more than $1000.00 + invoice for a 2006 model. Yes, that includes the CLS55 and SLK55! The dealer is already raping you with the hidden $$$ plus your $1000!

The market for these cars is very soft right now so you can get some sweet deals if you like what the dealer has in stock. Now if you wait 2 months until the Spring, some of the hotter cars might not be there.

Bottom line: AMG's aren't what they were 5 years ago and we only have one entity to blame for that: DCX.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:28 PM

07 CLS550 & 07 Accord
Originally Posted by fourAAAA
Does it make you feel bad if I ask you a question howmuch did you guys pay for your car?

Because I am going to picj my car up this friday....so I want to know I can deal price with sales man.

Actually sale guy told me I have to pay exactly sticker price no less, no more than sticker price... Is that right?

If it was taboo question, I am really sorry.
How much did you paid at Fletchers Jones??
Of course sales guy want you to pay exactly sticker or more.... I hope you didn't pay More?? South Bay MB does sell the AMG cars little cheaper..
Old 01-24-2006, 01:48 PM

slk55, 530i, z4
I got $100 off from the sticker price and I will have car cover, clear wind screen and cargo net at their cost.