SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Has anyone experienced this problem??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 08:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 SLK55 AMG; 2010 Dodge Challenger SRT8; and 2004 PT Cruiser GT Turbo (Modified)
Question Has anyone experienced this problem??

The rear fascia applique appears to have come unglued (see picture below)...The dealer states they have not seen this before and want to replace it when I get the car out of winter storage. Has anyone experienced this problem????

[IMG]
Attached Thumbnails Has anyone experienced this problem??-slk55-.jpg  
Old 12-28-2005, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
Nope

but I only have around 1500 miles.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:33 PM

SLK 55 AMG
25,000km's and I haven't seen it.

Are you sure someone didn't trip to rip it off? Or perhaps something hit it?

That piece of black plastic is stuck on quite tight and straight, I would find it off for it to just deform out of place like this, it's just too much in the 'opposite' direction for plastic to deform on it's own without being strongly heated or acted on by other forces (i.e. pliers, screw drivers, fingers).
Old 12-28-2005, 04:00 PM

2006 SLK55 AMG; 2010 Dodge Challenger SRT8; and 2004 PT Cruiser GT Turbo (Modified)
Initially there was a small gap that has gotten slightly larger. There are no "witness" marks indicating impact or tampering.... I suspect poor application of bonding material between applique and facsica (assembly issue). Thanks for your comments!!!
Old 12-28-2005, 04:57 PM
Almost a Member!

Cubanite SLK55AMG
Hi guys.

Sorry I can't offer any more info on the warping of the body piece you've shown - let's hope it doesn't happen in too many of these expensive cars! Good luck with it's repair.

I have a question - what is 'winter storage'?

I'm from Australia and we have simply NEVER heard of the concept!

Where do you put your cars in the colder months - under the bed? I mean - why does your dealer have to 'wait for you to take it out of winter storage'?

Wow.

Looking forward to hearing the answer to this one!

Cheers,

AUSSLK55AMG
Old 12-28-2005, 08:36 PM

Smile

When it snows in Michigan, salt is put on the roads and is very corrosive. Further, because of temperature variations during our winter season, our roads have major "potholes" (A.K.A. "Craters") and are not friendly for our vehicles. Even with traction control, rear wheel drive does not do well in snow..... Thought it snows in Australia?????

A search of this forum will disclose many tips for storage of a vehicle, many of which I have incorporated. Actually, my dealer will pickup the car in a trailer to avoid salt and road damage to the vehicle but I would perfer to drive there when the weather is better rather than risk the extra dealer loading and unloading into the trailer.

Hope this answered your question????
Old 12-29-2005, 06:46 PM

SLK55 AMG (previously C32 AMG)
Same thing happened on my car, almost in the same place - mine was coming loose at the bottom edge, not at the top, as yours is. Mine started coming off very soon after delivery, within 1500 miles. I pointed it out at the first "welcome service", and they ordered a replacement and put it on a couple weeks ago. No problems since then.

My spoiler ALSO came loose. (Again, the dealer ordered a replacement and will replace it in a few days.) I wonder if the factory got a bad batch of trim-adhesive?
Old 12-29-2005, 09:08 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
Originally Posted by Saaz
I wonder if the factory got a bad batch of trim-adhesive?
The other possibility is that the tape was cold when applied. With the 3M tape, it must be first heated before applied. This helps a great deal. If it wasn't applied correctly, it can easily come loose especially as the tempature drops.