On-Board CPU {Trouble}

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 07:14 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK55
Arrow On-Board CPU {Trouble}

So the car finally got here, and i was using it all day at school, and around for lunch... That night, I took it out to a friends and when i got back into the car a few hours later, the On-Board CPU did not function. I put it on and it only displayed the MErcedes Benz sign with no other options such as Audio,Map,Tel, or anything... The CD which I put in before was still working, but I couldn't actualy select different things not see the CD play on the screen!

Does anyone know what to do about this? I'm not sure how to get the CPU to show me the menu again, as it is very annoying.. any suggestions apart from taking it in to Mercedes?

I thought of a reset, but I couldn't find the *reset* button which it told me to hold down. I tried turning the car on/off, as well as the CPU on/off.

Anyway, thanks a lot. ( I have a Full-EU Nav system ) incase that makes a difference!

Thanks. goodnight
Joe
Old 02-22-2006, 07:20 PM

that happened to me too... i turned off the command system and turned it back on twice and its now fine again...but in your case maybe you had a faulty screen and it just short curcuited or burnt out??
Old 02-23-2006, 02:39 PM

2005 SLK55 AMG
Since it is so new, and such an early life failure, it is MUCH more likely that either a connection/connector has come loose or some part of the hardware is bad. So to the shop it is.

But if you want to try a "full reset" you have to unhook the car battery (check your manual) for 5-10 minutes.

After you connect the battery back, you may have to "re-sync" the windows (again check your manual) and some other settings.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:28 PM
Almost a Member!

SLK55
Yeh I think it's something odd like that!

I called the mercedes repair place, and the car is going to go tommorow morning to identify the problem!

Ta
Old 02-27-2006, 02:14 AM

Same problem

I had the same problem recently -- my best guess is that the nav system got "confused" when I parked under cover while the system was still guiding me to a destination, and when I re-started the car later the system was totally jammed, as you describe.

I had to let the battery run completely down (MB service will tell you that the car won't drain its battery, but they're fibbing), and then upon jump-starting the car the system re-booted.

Let us know what you learn -- don't want to go through this again!

Thanks,

Gary
Old 02-27-2006, 03:21 AM

SLK 55 AMG
Originally Posted by ggetz
I had to let the battery run completely down (MB service will tell you that the car won't drain its battery, but they're fibbing), and then upon jump-starting the car the system re-booted.
You could achieve the same by removing the NAV DVD, starting the car up, and then putting it back into the trunk. It resets navigation...

I'm not sure letting the battery drain and jump starting the car is a very good thing to do.

Oh, and btw, the "CPU" is called the COMAND unit. It might require replacing from the sounds of it. It's a relatively simple job so good luck.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by bloflin
Since it is so new, and such an early life failure, it is MUCH more likely that either a connection/connector has come loose or some part of the hardware is bad. So to the shop it is.

But if you want to try a "full reset" you have to unhook the car battery (check your manual) for 5-10 minutes.

After you connect the battery back, you may have to "re-sync" the windows (again check your manual) and some other settings.
Why cant you pull out the COMAND fuse ?
Old 02-27-2006, 06:24 AM
Almost a Member!

SLK55
Working!

I dropped it at MB, and the next day my brother picked it up, he was rather inpartial about telling me the details of what was wrong, but it was to do with the navigation being programmed incorrectly or something of that sort.

In the future, i think that the re-inserting of t he nav dvd will fix the problem..
ciao ciao

joseph
Old 02-27-2006, 01:23 PM

Great idea

I have to confess that I hadn't thought of shutting down the Nav DVD!

In my own defense, I spoke with MB service (the "wrench" button in the car) no fewer than three times that night, and they told me to:

1. turn the car off
2. lock the doors
3. wait overnight

The claim was that locking the doors would somehow help the electronics to cycle -- and that, and I quote, "the car is too smart to let the battery discharge totally. As the voltage drops, non-essential systems (including Comand) will shut down, so you don't have to worry about the battery being dead!"

In the morning, of course: dead as a doornail. With the doors locked. Having decided that I really didn't want to drive the Ferrari to my client, I unlocked the 55 with the metal key -- good, no alarm, as it was 6-something in the morning and the garage is directly under the master bedroom, where my wife was enjoying a rare day off by sleeping in. Backed out the Fazzaz (vroom! oops) and hooked up the jumper cables. Beep! Beep! Beep! Oops, there goes the alarm. Finally, got the 55 fired up (vroom! -- all hopes of sleeping wife completely dashed, not to mention annoyed neighbors). Happily, the Comand had in fact re-set by then...

You know you're in trouble when you're using your Italian car to jump your German one.

Yeesh.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:00 AM

SLK 55 AMG
So, you left the COMAND on all night, but locked the doors?

If I leave my COMAND on and no key in the ignition, after about half 15 minutes or so, it tells me "Your COMAND system will turn off in 5 minutes if you do not turn the ignition back on" or something similar.

So I let it sit some more, and yup, a little later, it turned off on its own...
Old 02-28-2006, 01:09 PM

Nope

As in the original post in this thread, my whole Comand system was hung -- I could hear music, but the screen just showed the 3-pointed star -- and any and all attempts I made to turn off the Comand or to get the display to show anything different didn't work.

Seems that there's some sort of software glitch -- my theory being that parking in an enclosed garage while the nav system is searching for instructions from the satellite may put the system into some sort of do loop. (You can tell that I learned my programming skills in the 70's -- does anyone even say "do loop" anymore?)
Old 03-08-2006, 04:15 PM

2005 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by ggetz
and I quote, "the car is too smart to let the battery discharge totally. As the voltage drops, non-essential systems (including Comand) will shut down, so you don't have to worry about the battery being dead!"

In the morning, of course: dead as a doornail.
So I guess we learned something Service didn't know, the car is too smart, EXCEPT when it's brain is frozen (hung), then it's not very smart at all.