Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 08:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G55 & SLK55
you guys,

Im going for

Evosport underdrive pulleys/ green filters for first!
Then, Hopefully I will get the Renntech Headers for the SLK55 because Kleemann wont sell me parts they must install it for me in a specific dealer which is another Country
Old 03-10-2006, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL 6.1 Brabus, E55, SLK55
How much is the hp/tq gain from Renntech headers??
Old 03-10-2006, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G55 & SLK55
Originally Posted by zaint10
How much is the hp/tq gain from Renntech headers??

20hp, 20 tq gain
Old 03-11-2006, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G55 & SLK55
I was just thinking about parts that are most effective for Keeping the SLK non supercharged and the best way is for me to do
get

1) Headers
2) Green filters

also I contacted Speedtuning they told me their Ecu gets the SLK to 393hp and costs $399 dollars How about that !
Old 03-11-2006, 03:47 PM

2006 Brabus B55 (Brabus Modified SLK55)
Originally Posted by alroumi
I was just thinking about parts that are most effective for Keeping the SLK non supercharged and the best way is for me to do
get

1) Headers
2) Green filters

also I contacted Speedtuning they told me their Ecu gets the SLK to 393hp and costs $399 dollars How about that !
I still think that the single best way to meaningfully increase hp while staying naturally aspirated is a camshaft and valve spring upgrade, coupled with an increase in the engine's compression ratio. This will allow the engine to breathe more freely at high revs. This mod costs about $6,100 from BRABUS and will net you 390 hp and 400 trq for the SLK55. It is the best route if you aren't going to supercharge the engine. This increase will normally dwarf other bolt-on modifications. Stay away from reground cams (stock camshafts that are upgraded by having material welded on to the cam lobe and then ground down to new specifications). Think about also investing in new retainers (part that holds the valve spring in place) as well as head studs (the bolts that hold the head on the block) to cope with additional cylindar pressure and minimize the risk of a floating valve.

You might also consider switching from shim over-bucket valve shims to either a shim under-bucket design or a shimless design. The shim allows for the valve adjustment and there are different methods by which this is acheived. For high rev applications, shimless is the safest followed by shim under-bucket and then shim over-bucket.

Just my humble opinion (backed up by experience and some pretty serious research).

Last edited by Beleriand; 03-11-2006 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-11-2006, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G55 & SLK55
Originally Posted by Beleriand
I still think that the single best way to meaningfully increase hp while staying naturally aspirated is a camshaft and valve spring upgrade, coupled with an increase in the engine's compression ratio. This will allow the engine to breathe more freely at high revs. This mod costs about $6,100 from BRABUS and will net you 390 hp and 400 trq for the SLK55. It is the best route if you aren't going to supercharge the engine. This increase will normally dwarf other bolt-on modifications. Stay away from reground cams (stock camshafts that are upgraded by having material welded on to the cam lobe and then ground down to new specifications). Think about also inversting in new retainers (part that holds the valve spring in place) as well as head studs (the holts that hold the head on the block) to cope with additional cylindar pressure and minimize the risk of a floating valve.

You might also consider switching from shim over-bucket valve shims to either a shim under-bucket design or a shimless design. The shim allows for the valve adjustment ans there are different methods by which this is acheived. For high rev applications, shimless is the safeest followed by shim under-bucket adn then shim over-bucket.

Just my humble opinion (backed up by experience and some pretty serious research).

Thank you for your Humble Response!

For now, I am getting Headers, and Green filters
Later on I will treat my self to Carbon Airbox !
Old 03-11-2006, 04:03 PM

For anyone who is just getting started in the modding world, check out this book. It is REALLY great for beginners. I think that it would be too simple and mundane for advanced modders. But for us beginners, it is quite an interesting read:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/076...Fencoding=UTF8

It is called "Car Hacks & Mods for Dummies" by David Vespremi. I find the book very informational and fun to read.

Check it out.
Old 03-11-2006, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G55 & SLK55
For anyone who is just getting started in the modding world, check out this book. It is REALLY great for beginners. I think that it would be too simple and mundane for advanced modders. But for us beginners, it is quite an interesting read:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/076...Fencoding=UTF8

It is called "Car Hacks & Mods for Dummies" by David Vespremi. I find the book very informational and fun to read.

Check it out.
Thanks! You guys are very helpful
Old 03-14-2006, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G55 & SLK55
Am I the only one who is getting the Evosport pulley for the SLK?
No one in the forum willing to join along! Its the second cheapest mod for the SLK
Old 03-14-2006, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G55 & SLK55
Originally Posted by Falco
Yes, the underdrive pullies specifically under drive the alternator and other power robbing items that a serpentine belt or the like powers. They do not add any hp, but rather reduce the amount of hp being robbed by these other items...

Does it make the car run more effieciently like for example in driving response
Old 03-14-2006, 03:40 PM

Dinko did it....
I'm getting mine done real soon. Hopefully, I can find nice body shop around to help me install them.
Old 03-14-2006, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G55 & SLK55
Dinko did it....
I'm getting mine done real soon. Hopefully, I can find nice body shop around to help me install them.
Me Too, Now I am heading for the Pullies
waiting for the green filters to be instock, and thats all for now!

I thought about the headers they are just too exspensive!

In the future an Ecu would be nice!
Old 03-14-2006, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G55 & SLK55
Just got an email form Michael Wilson from Evosport saying that the Pullies will add 8-10 horsepower for the SLK55 AMG! Which is good as a beginners mod
Old 03-14-2006, 04:30 PM

SLK 55 AMG
get

1) Headers
2) Green filters

So they are able to add over 30hp with an ECU update, whilst Brabus, Kleemann and all the other reputed MB tuners are not able to get even half of that on a naturally aspirated AMG engine?

I think they're telling you bull****... I would make sure to get a Dyno run just in case you get ripped off. Just friendly advice.

The same for the pulleys. As was mentioned already, the pulleys most likely will not up power at all, or if they do, only 1 or 2 ponies. But I'll reserve judgement until someone produces some dyno graphs to back up the claims
Old 03-14-2006, 04:36 PM

I have been wondering the same. Why some other ECU tunning company can squeeze like 30 hp and tq from NA engine. While many reputation ones like Brabus, Kleemann etc cant?
Are they being conservative about the figures or these other companies just over stated their figures?? May be Kleemann do not want to squeeze too much off it because of some draw back??
Have alwayysss beeen wondering...
Old 03-14-2006, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G55 & SLK55
Originally Posted by Shinigami
So they are able to add over 30hp with an ECU update, whilst Brabus, Kleemann and all the other reputed MB tuners are not able to get even half of that on a naturally aspirated AMG engine?

I think they're telling you bull****... I would make sure to get a Dyno run just in case you get ripped off. Just friendly advice.

The same for the pulleys. As was mentioned already, the pulleys most likely will not up power at all, or if they do, only 1 or 2 ponies. But I'll reserve judgement until someone produces some dyno graphs to back up the claims

I will see about Dyno, Not sure if there is one in Kuwait
Old 03-14-2006, 04:43 PM

FYI. BRABUS does not do an ECU upgrade for naturally aspirated engines. I just asked Matt at BRABUS NA about that this morning and he said they don't.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G55 & SLK55
I have been wondering the same. Why some other ECU tunning company can squeeze like 30 hp and tq from NA engine. While many reputation ones like Brabus, Kleemann etc cant?
Are they being conservative about the figures or these other companies just over stated their figures?? May be Kleemann do not want to squeeze too much off it because of some draw back??
Have alwayysss beeen wondering...
Well , maybe there are drawbacks but I dont know any drawbacks of Ecu upgrading, Ive the Digi-tec ecu on my Porsche Cayenne S with airfilters, exhaust and that things feels way better than stock!
Old 03-22-2006, 06:55 PM

SLK55, Mustang 480hp, CBR600rr

I know underdrive pulleys for a Mustang add about 10-12hp, but there is a draw back. By underdriving the accessories you can have charging problems at idle because they are spinning so slow...specially under a full load...aka a/c on, stereo on, etc. and you can have cooling problems at idle too since it slows down the water pump also. This is one reason why you can't run underdrive pulleys with a supercharger.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:58 PM

I to think that is a crock of crap. over 30hp only on a fuel curve remapping, yeah I could believe it if the car was supercharged and you had a custom fuel curve remapped vs. running a stock one with a SC or turbo. I know Speedtuning states you can't run anything less than high octane after you do it...need 91 or 93 depending on the chip you have installed. Where as with the stock setup you can run 87 if you want, but will have less power because the computer will just retard the timing to deal with the lower octane rating to stop pre-detonation.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Ppower
I to think that is a crock of crap. over 30hp only on a fuel curve remapping, yeah I could believe it if the car was supercharged and you had a custom fuel curve remapped vs. running a stock one with a SC or turbo. I know Speedtuning states you can't run anything less than high octane after you do it...need 91 or 93 depending on the chip you have installed. Where as with the stock setup you can run 87 if you want, but will have less power because the computer will just retard the timing to deal with the lower octane rating to stop pre-detonation.
You know what I think is a "crock of crap." Anyone stupid enough to run 87 octane through their Benz. That's what.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:36 PM

You know what I think is a "crock of crap." Anyone stupid enough to run 87 octane through their Benz. That's what.
True, true...
Old 03-23-2006, 05:11 AM

SLK 55 AMG
FYI. BRABUS does not do an ECU upgrade for naturally aspirated engines. I just asked Matt at BRABUS NA about that this morning and he said they don't.
Oh, ok.

mmm, I thought they did. But anyway... there's several companies that do offer it. I still would get the headers as a first step.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
I will see about Dyno, Not sure if there is one in Kuwait
To fill the fuel tank costs $10 and the fill the radiator costs $100. j/k

Why are you such a tight a$$. You buy a good car and you want to master it with cheap junk mods. Just dont get upset when your 10 mods which each add 5 HP dont give you 50HP.

The problem is that when you do one mod it moves the posts around and the mod following needs to fit / complement / contribute to the effects of the first mod. So adding / throwing / cheap a$$ modding doesnt mean you are adding more and more power.

I wouldnt be surprised if you didnt get a drop in power around 4000rpm according to the compounding of competing inputs and then a small increase at higher revs. There is no such thing as a linear increase.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Well , maybe there are drawbacks but I dont know any drawbacks of Ecu upgrading, Ive the Digi-tec ecu on my Porsche Cayenne S with airfilters, exhaust and that things feels way better than stock!
Must be the performance gains from the weight reduction of your wallet. My personal opinion is that after 5000 km the car is still new and pulls like crazy. Most mods are psychological self satisfaction since the dyno figures dont support the "feel". The human ear is not adequately equipped to measure g-forces to 0,1 unit accuracy.

How anyone can detect 10hp gain over 400hp engines is a complete mystery. It would mean they have sensory sensitivity of 2.5% or something like 0.025 G force for every 1.0G force of acceleration which is not much at all. But if you hand over reams of cash then it must be obvious that the results are there.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SLK55 Modifications for Starters!