SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Gas Savings Between "C" and "S" Mode

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 02:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SL55
Gas Savings Between "C" and "S" Mode

So I know that in Comfort mode the car won't rev as high and will shift slower. But I haven't had the car long enough to see if there is a significant gas "savings" in Comfort mode instead of Sports mode. My trip computer has had about 800 miles to calculate, and it's giving me 14.7 mpg. I'm sure this is partly due to my heavy right foot. But once I'm bored of dashing to the next red light; will Comfort mode save me any gas?
Old 03-15-2006, 04:18 AM

SLK 55 AMG
Depends where you drive. If it's on the highway, it won't matter much. At certain speeds, the car will anyway use 6th or th gear, meaning the RPM's stay low and you save on gas.

It's in the city that things build up, but once again, stop-go traffic will result in gas consumption that I think would be almost the same between the two.

However, I do find that I use on average a liter or two (per hundred km) of gas more when running in S, then C. Normal city driving in C usually gives me around 14-16 liters to 100km in the city, whilst with S mode (and some spirited driving), it goes up to 17 or 18. If I drive in manual mode, it can go up to 20.

I hope you didn't buy this car to save on gas, because it's not that kinda vehicle, the SLK is meant to be driven hard
Old 03-15-2006, 07:55 AM

06 SLK55 AMG Firemist/Blk
Originally Posted by xaveon
... But once I'm bored of dashing to the next red light; will Comfort mode save me any gas?
You bought a "gas guzzler" and you're interested in saving gas?
Old 03-15-2006, 09:20 AM

2006 SLK55 AMG/// 2006 Porsche CaymanS 2010 135i
Originally Posted by xaveon
So I know that in Comfort mode the car won't rev as high and will shift slower. But I haven't had the car long enough to see if there is a significant gas "savings" in Comfort mode instead of Sports mode. My trip computer has had about 800 miles to calculate, and it's giving me 14.7 mpg. I'm sure this is partly due to my heavy right foot. But once I'm bored of dashing to the next red light; will Comfort mode save me any gas?

For what it's worth I have found that comfort mode will save a little gas 1 - 2 MPG during city driving, starting in 2nd also make stop and go a little smoother. It will not have any real effect if you're doing mostly highway driving.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:26 AM

12 CLS550, 09 CLS550, 04Cooper,10 Cooper S
Originally Posted by Julien321
You bought a "gas guzzler" and you're interested in saving gas?

"C" mode takes away from what the car is meant to be, kinda like putting a choke collar on the car.....besides, every cent that the 55 eats up in gas is worth it in my book.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:39 PM

SLK55 AMG, BMW X5 3.0d Sport
When you guys are paying $7 a gallon you'll change your mind. Thats if the civil war that would precede left anybody around !!
Old 03-16-2006, 06:36 AM

AMG
Originally Posted by Shinigami
Depends where you drive. If it's on the highway, it won't matter much. At certain speeds, the car will anyway use 6th or th gear, meaning the RPM's stay low and you save on gas.

It's in the city that things build up, but once again, stop-go traffic will result in gas consumption that I think would be almost the same between the two.

However, I do find that I use on average a liter or two (per hundred km) of gas more when running in S, then C. Normal city driving in C usually gives me around 14-16 liters to 100km in the city, whilst with S mode (and some spirited driving), it goes up to 17 or 18. If I drive in manual mode, it can go up to 20.

I hope you didn't buy this car to save on gas, because it's not that kinda vehicle, the SLK is meant to be driven hard

yep shinigami!