Questions questions.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2006 | 05:45 AM

C63
Questions questions.

hi, im just got my slk55 and i put around 800-900miles on it and its great
but i have a few questions

1.) i know im in the break-in period so i was told not to go over 85miles and dun go over 4500rpm..
what happens if i went over it while i was in the break in period, is it THAT important to stick with the instructions?

2.) dealer said i go back for maintainace when the computer tells me to which is after 14000km......is that rite? cus i see some of u changing oil and stuff jsut after a few thousand on the odo.

help ? thank you in advance
Old 03-15-2006 | 09:23 AM

12 CLS550, 09 CLS550, 04Cooper,10 Cooper S
1. breakin period is imporatant in the sense that if you observe it, you dealer cant pass any blame onto you for future malfunctions. You dealer can pretty much tell everything about your driving characteristics from hooking your car up to their computer.

AMG runs their engines pretty hard before placing them in their cars, so realistically, unless you have been redlining very often or hitting your limiter you should be ok.

2. You have a free welcome service before 3000 miles. you car will ask for service A when it needs it
Old 03-15-2006 | 01:43 PM

SLK55 AMG, BMW X5 3.0d Sport
Asahi, you should put your location into your profile as this is different across the globe.
In the UK, there is no 1000 mile service, its just a question of taking it easy, then the first service (Chargeable) is at around 10k miles. It can be service "A", "B" or "C" depending on your driving style, climate etc....
Hope this is helpful.
Old 03-15-2006 | 11:52 PM

C63
sorry guys, just got here havent really fiddled around with my profile and such, but im up in canada so is there any difference in what u guys have said? and about that free service before 3000miles?
Old 03-16-2006 | 02:10 AM

2006 Brabus B55 (Brabus Modified SLK55)
Respecting the run-in period is important. The main reason is that your transmission must adapt properly or it will be rough. The 1000 mile point is where the transmission really begins to smooth out in this car. I pushed my SLK55 too hard in the beginning. I took my wife for a ride in the first week and ran it up to 120 mph and way over 5000 rpm a couple of times. After that, my transmission would change roughly - like someone was hitting me from behind. This was at around 400 miles. I took it in and the tech told me to "feather" the throttle for the next 600 miles. I did just as he said. I was very light on the throttle and the brake. The transmission adapted back and is smooth as silk now.

I don't think that running the car hard will hurt the car if there is nothing already mechanically wrong with it. But it will have an effect on the adaptation of the transmission. A rough transmission due to an interruption in adaptation is not a mechanical problem though. It can be corrected easily with a change in driving habits.

Your run-in period will be over soon enough. If you respect it, once you hit 1000 miles it will be like having a new car.

Have fun!

ps. He is right when he says that MB can tell everything you have done to your car by hooking it up to their analyzer - top speed, average speed, top rpm, average rpm, braking, everything . . . although, I have never heard of a dealer voiding a warranty because of going fast in the run-in period. What if you were in an emergency situation and you had to run the car hard to avoid an accident or get past a hazard - if you chose not to because of the run-in period MB could be liable. If it were really an issue MB would put a restrictor in the ECU that would govern the mph and rpm during the first 1000 miles. I think it is more precautionary than anything. Don't worry be happy!

Last edited by Beleriand; 03-16-2006 at 02:14 AM.
Old 03-16-2006 | 07:13 AM

Shelby Cobra 289, Boss 302, TransAm
Originally Posted by Easy-SLK
In the UK, there is no 1000 mile service, its just a question of taking it easy, then the first service (Chargeable) is at around 10k miles. It can be service "A", "B" or "C" depending on your driving style, climate etc.
Seriously? 10,000 miles? I would have thought that chucking the oil after the first 1,000 miles is a given. In the old days, when engine components were machined with much rougher surfaces, you could actually feel the grit in the break-in oil. That's no longer true, but the SLK 55 AMG, Ford GT and Z06 Corvette that will replace my Dragonsnake Cobra (http://www.mecumauction.com/auctions...D=SC0506-35662) will still get treated to new oil at the 1,000 mile point.
Old 03-16-2006 | 10:10 AM

SLK55
Originally Posted by SundayDriver
Seriously? 10,000 miles? I would have thought that chucking the oil after the first 1,000 miles is a given. In the old days, when engine components were machined with much rougher surfaces, you could actually feel the grit in the break-in oil. That's no longer true, but the SLK 55 AMG, Ford GT and Z06 Corvette that will replace my Dragonsnake Cobra (http://www.mecumauction.com/auctions...D=SC0506-35662) will still get treated to new oil at the 1,000 mile point.
I changed mine out at 1000 miles just to be on the safe side. The oil felt new, but I had piece of mind. Did I waste my money? Maybe; but I'm sure it didn't hurt. I now change it every 5,000 miles with mobil1 0W40 and a new filter.