SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Brabus vs Kleemann on SLK55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'93 RX-7, SLK55
Originally Posted by SundayDriver
Don't throw in the towel yet, Beleriand. Of course quality matters. And name and presentation are an intrinsic component of what we perceive as quality, as you've pointed out. So is pride of ownership, how your car looks and makes you feel. Knowing that a modern-day Timex will keep time just as well as a Rolex, would anyone trade a Rolex for a Timex?

This fall, I hope to take delivery of not only an SLK55 AMG, but a Ford GT. Why not buy a new Shelby GT500 Mustang instead of the GT? Same basic engine, same brand, only a fourth the cost. For that matter, why not opt for the Mustang in place of the SLK? At 475 hp, the GT500 will blow the doors of the Merc.

Frankly, the question never occured to me. Still doesn't!
Err, while your quality logic is sound, the Mustang performance comparo to the SLK is not. The vert Shelby GT500 weighs in at 4,040 lbs....an absolute PIG. The Coupe clocked a 12.5 sec quarter, the vert being 200 lbs heavier, will lag this a bit (likely 12.7 - 12.8 territory). Stock SLK55's run a 12.7 sec quarter. Its pretty much a toss up, not anything close to "blowing the Merc's doors off" (the Vert GT may even get nipped through the 1/4 by the 55 - its that close).

The Ford GT, while enjoying the same basic powerplant to the GT500, is in a different performance league alltogether.....its not even close (in ANY catergory other than MPG ). I think you know these points - I'm just pointing out your new SLK55 will be a bit more sprite than you may think.

See ya,
-Matt
Old 03-20-2006, 10:38 PM

06 SLK55
Don't throw in the towel yet, Beleriand. Of course quality matters. And name and presentation are an intrinsic component of what we perceive as quality, as you've pointed out. So is pride of ownership, how your car looks and makes you feel. Knowing that a modern-day Timex will keep time just as well as a Rolex, would anyone trade a Rolex for a Timex?
Careful there! You seem to be drawing a parallel between Brabus and Rolex...understand that Rolex has done an awesome job of marketing but the perceived quality etc is jsut that, perceived. The marketing campaign and bling of GOLD and PLATINUM and DIAMONDS blurs the consumer into thinking they are buying quality and exclusivity(hardly!!!)...is this what you want to compare Brabus to???
Old 03-21-2006, 12:50 AM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Falco
Careful there! You seem to be drawing a parallel between Brabus and Rolex...understand that Rolex has done an awesome job of marketing but the perceived quality etc is jsut that, perceived. The marketing campaign and bling of GOLD and PLATINUM and DIAMONDS blurs the consumer into thinking they are buying quality and exclusivity(hardly!!!)...is this what you want to compare Brabus to???
Great post. I have a Rolex and a Breitling. However, when I want to know the time I wear my Timex (Ironman edition).
Old 03-21-2006, 01:56 AM

2006 Brabus B55 (Brabus Modified SLK55)
Originally Posted by Falco
Well said about Rolex. I remember when I got my first Rolex. It was about 15 years ago. My wife bought it for me and it suprised me so much. It was a blue faced gold and stainless steel Submariner. I still think it is a beautiful watch - I still have it and it remains one of the great memories of my life. However, I also own a Breguet Grande Complication with Tourbillion - a watch that only a few people on the planet have the luck to own. While the Rolex may mean more to me emotionally, it isn't even in a class with the Breguet. Rolex watches are really nice - don't get me wrong - but they only begin to scratch the surface of the fine watch world. I equate them to a C230 MB - entry level but a thrill to own when you first buy it.

But then again . . .
Old 03-21-2006, 04:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
...........what is interesting is that brabus builds very nice cars. However, the people supporting brabus on this thread have not done a very good job. Their argument is simply that brabus is better because it costs more. It is not hard to see why with this audience that line of argument is not working. Many people on this forum know a lot about cars and have the disposable income to indulge in their hobbies. Many do not choose Brabus because Brabus is routinely not the fastest, frequently not the ones with the most HP, and often not the most visually appealing or the best quality. If you compare the EV12 to the the E55 K3 or K4, then the EV12 will wins. But comparing a Kleemann supercharged SLK55 to a brabus SLK55 with B55 kit is not even close. Those that prefer brabus are perfectly entitled to their preference but to come on an automobile enthusiats' forum and say Brabus is best because it costs more takes away the "e" from the word enthusiast. It becomes like two kids on the play ground. One kid looses a game and yells "my daddy is richer than your daddy."

Ted
Old 03-21-2006, 08:57 AM

Shelby Cobra 289, Boss 302, TransAm
Originally Posted by Yellow R1
Err, while your quality logic is sound, the Mustang performance comparo to the SLK is not. The vert Shelby GT500 weighs in at 4,040 lbs....an absolute PIG. The Coupe clocked a 12.5 sec quarter, the vert being 200 lbs heavier, will lag this a bit (likely 12.7 - 12.8 territory). Stock SLK55's run a 12.7 sec quarter. Its pretty much a toss up, not anything close to "blowing the Merc's doors off" (the Vert GT may even get nipped through the 1/4 by the 55 - its that close). Your new SLK55 will be a bit more sprite than you may think.
You're right about the Mustang sacrificing much of its potential to heft, Matt, and I hope you're right about the SLK55. Despite having spent the first 20 years of my life some 12 miles from Untertürkheim (I passed the Mercedes plant by train every weekday just to get to work), I've never been a big fan of MB cars. Yes, there was the SL190 and the SL300, made entirely out of unobtainium for most Germans in the fifties, but the rest of the line was aimed at aristocrats and cab drivers. It was BMW who offered the first V8.

The SLK55 changed that image for me. The smallest Mercedes roadster of the bunch, with a hand-built, bellowing V8 - what's not to love! At 3,420 lbs., the SLK55 is no lightweight either, especially compared to the Z06 Corvette at a mere 3,130 (or my Cobra, at around 2,200). But from all I've read, it seems a fitting replacement for the Sunbeam Tiger I owned back in the sixties. And, getting back on topic (sort of), there is that 3-pointed star that's been burned into my memory. I couldn't afford it then, I can now. That's worth a few extra dollars.

Last edited by SundayDriver; 03-21-2006 at 09:31 AM.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:13 AM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
You're right about the Mustang sacrificing much of its potential to heft, Matt, and I hope you're right about the SLK55. Despite having spent the first 20 years of my life some 12 miles from Untertürkheim (I passed the Mercedes plant by train every weekday just to get to work), I've never been a big fan of MB cars. Yes, there was the SL190 and the SL300, made entirely out of unobtainium for most Germans in the fifties, but the rest of the line was aimed at aristocrats and cab drivers. It was BMW who offered the first V8.

The SLK55 changed that image for me. The smallest Mercedes roadster of the bunch, with a hand-built, bellowing V8 - what's not to love! At 3,420 lbs., the SLK55 is no lightweight either, especially compared to the Z06 Corvette at a mere 3,130 (or my Cobra, at around 2,200). But from all I've read, it seems a fitting replacement for the Sunbeam Tiger I owned back in the sixties. And, getting back on topic (sort of), there is that 3-pointed star that's been burned into my memory. I couldn't afford it then, I can now. That's worth a few extra dollars.
Your "unobtainium" comment had me laughing (it paints a vision of a material so exotic & expensive that no mere mortal could ever come into its possession ). Seriously, I agree with your points & felt the same way with MB (this is our first MB). They just didn't make anything that excited me enough to buy one. I really do think you will like your SLK. For us, it was built better than the C6 yet has the same performance as the 6 spd Coupe. The cost is within about $5k when compared with a C6 vert, and the SLK55s are more scarce. It will be a heavier, but better built, safer, quicker Tiger, maybe just not as "tossable" & will lack a manual (but your have your 289 for that ). I hope you enjoy it when you buy it in 6 months - I favor it a bit over my RX-7 as a daily driver.

-Matt
Old 03-21-2006, 11:55 AM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
B55 vs 55K S8 coming soon....!!
Beleriand
Old 03-21-2006, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by JamE55
B55 vs 55K S8 coming soon....!!
Beleriand
I posted this in the other post about the B55, but any chance we could see this in person?
Old 03-21-2006, 12:13 PM

ML 320 CDI
To those who think that the 6,1 Kit is just a bore out kit, just visit the Brabus plant and then you'll see how they do.

Why do you think the technician who "handcrafted" the engine sign it like the technician at affalterbach do?
Old 03-21-2006, 01:06 PM
Out Of Control!

Originally Posted by JBRhee
I posted this in the other post about the B55, but any chance we could see this in person?
That would depend on when Beleriand decides to go for it. Time, location, date etc... Just need to pick a good location.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:12 PM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Le Corre
To those who think that the 6,1 Kit is just a bore out kit, just visit the Brabus plant and then you'll see how they do.

Why do you think the technician who "handcrafted" the engine sign it like the technician at affalterbach do?

I assume it comes with new pistons, rods, and crank. Possibly some head work also. It's not rocket science.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
...........what is interesting is that brabus builds very nice cars. However, the people supporting brabus on this thread have not done a very good job. Their argument is simply that brabus is better because it costs more. It is not hard to see why with this audience that line of argument is not working. Many people on this forum know a lot about cars and have the disposable income to indulge in their hobbies. Many do not choose Brabus because Brabus is routinely not the fastest, frequently not the ones with the most HP, and often not the most visually appealing or the best quality. If you compare the EV12 to the the E55 K3 or K4, then the EV12 will wins. But comparing a Kleemann supercharged SLK55 to a brabus SLK55 with B55 kit is not even close. Those that prefer brabus are perfectly entitled to their preference but to come on an automobile enthusiats' forum and say Brabus is best because it costs more takes away the "e" from the word enthusiast. It becomes like two kids on the play ground. One kid looses a game and yells "my daddy is richer than your daddy." Ted

OK - Here we go again . . .

Ted, with all due respect, you are the pot calling the kettle black here. You have come on this forum and said that BRABUS is not as good simply because it is too expensive - with absolutely nothing else to say about it except "you don't know who you are talking to." Man, if that doesn't exemplify your very own criticism what does? I am very sorry to say, and once again with all due respect, it is YOU that has not egaged in a very effective defense of your position. In fact, you have engaged in absolutely NO meaningful debate on the issue. I beleive you probably have some interesting and informational things to say that could help us all. But you have not demonstrated any ability to disseminate them here. I would love to hear your real world experiences and how you own modified cars perform.

Now, in my own defense . . .

First of all, I came into this forum to give my REAL-WORLD experience with BRABUS. I posted pictures of my car, I gave a detailed rundown of the work they performed, and I voiced my opinion - as shared by the vast majority of folks here - that I really like what they have done. I never said "BRABUS is the best because they are the most expensive." That would be ludicrous. I based my opinion on the fact that I have spent the last 2 weeks of my life totally immersed in the process of having BRABUS modify nearly every aspect of my SLK. That is a hell of a lot more than just a bald statement saying they are the best because they are the most pricey.

In fact, I never remember saying that BRABUS was the best. If I am wrong, please correct me. But I believe that I only said that I had a good experience there and that others should check it out first-hand and make their own judgments.

Second, I NEVER said a B55 kit - which I admitted was a very low level modification (consisting of new "hot" camshafts, valve springs, and a change to the cumbustion ration only netting a 40 hp increase) - could compare with a Kleemann supercharger. You are just making that up. I never said BRABUS was better than any other tuner. I even said - qute plainly - that I have no opinion on any other tuner because I have no first-hand experience with their finished product. I was VERY careful to limit my comments and opinions on how BRABUS did with MY own car, based on personal experience. I stated some facts about Kleemann - e.g., that they use bolt-on parts, primarily focus on superchargers for large hp gains and that supercharging will stress the engine a bit more than leaving the engine naturally aspirated. These are hardly contrversial comments.

Finally, the proof is in the pudding. My car looks great. The BRABUS "trinkets" - as you called them - are fun and look awesome. As you can see from my BRABUS B55 thread, everyone agrees with me. When I drive it I enjoy myself. It is definitely faster than before, has a deeper more agressive exhaust note and is a unique version of our beloved SLK. I love it. Others can hate it. I was just relaying my personal experience - for what it is worth. I am not saying my car is any better than anyone else's or that it will go faster than a Kleemann modified SLK. I really don't give a ****. The car is great for me - not because it cost the most - but because it looks, drives and makes me feel awesome.

Once again, I am not looking to **** you off. But your above post is simply inaccurate It kind of takes the "i" out of intelligent.

Take care.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:49 PM

'06 SLK55 AMG, del Sol VTEC
Originally Posted by Beleriand
Well said about Rolex. I remember when I got my first Rolex. It was about 15 years ago. My wife bought it for me and it suprised me so much. It was a blue faced gold and stainless steel Submariner. I still think it is a beautiful watch - I still have it and it remains one of the great memories of my life. However, I also own a Breguet Grande Complication with Tourbillion - a watch that only a few people on the planet have the luck to own. While the Rolex may mean more to me emotionally, it isn't even in a class with the Breguet. Rolex watches are really nice - don't get me wrong - but they only begin to scratch the surface of the fine watch world. I equate them to a C230 MB - entry level but a thrill to own when you first buy it.

But then again . . .
Seems like an analogy might be Brabus :: Kleeman as Rolex ::Jaeger LeCoutre.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:52 PM

That would depend on when Beleriand decides to go for it. Time, location, date etc... Just need to pick a good location.
Guys, I would love to get together. They problem is, starting next week, I will be in Delaware for a trial that could last from a couple of weeks to a couple of months. I will be making sporadic trips back to the OC during that time but right now my schedule is dominated by this trial. When my schedulte becomes firm, we can set something up.

Sorry. Duty calls.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:58 PM
Out Of Control!

Guys, I would love to get together. They problem is, starting next week, I will be in Delaware for a trial that could last from a couple of weeks to a couple of months. I will be making sporadic trips back to the OC during that time but right now my schedule is dominated by this trial. When my schedulte becomes firm, we can set something up.

Sorry. Duty calls.
No problem. Just let me know when you have sometime and hopefully we can set it up.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:14 PM

ML 320 CDI
Originally Posted by G55K
I assume it comes with new pistons, rods, and crank. Possibly some head work also. It's not rocket science.
Starting from this, building an engine is not rocket science. But strangely, Brabus is the Only tuner who still offer a wide range of displacement kit (with Vaeth on a smaller scale), when others are going supercharger and non-inner modifications.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:27 PM

No problem. Just let me know when you have sometime and hopefully we can set it up.
Let us all know, please!

Beleriand,

Win the trial, make more money, and do more incredible things to your car to stop this pointless debate.

Maybe you should just buy another SLK 55 and do the Kleeman SC so no one can say anything.

You can have one B55 and one 55K S8.

Last edited by JBRhee; 03-21-2006 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:36 PM
Out Of Control!

Originally Posted by JBRhee
Let us all know, please!
Stay tuned! It'll be broadcasted on Top Gear!
Old 03-21-2006, 03:19 PM

12 CLS550, 09 CLS550, 04Cooper,10 Cooper S

Sorry. Duty calls.
if you had that B55 down in delaware, i would definitely drive down to check it out.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:02 PM

SLK 55 AMG
Guys, guys, guys... let's just chill up a bit here and agree to disagree

I think any "reputable" tuner for an MB is the way to go, and both Brabus and Kleemann are such reputable tuners.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:32 PM

SL 6.1 Brabus, E55, SLK55
I think you guys just need to chill off a little bit too. Both Kleemann and Brabus are very reputable Mercedes Tuning companies. I don't think its worth spoiling each other's mood over unconclusionable arguments. It's just a matter of preferences and conviniences. I have had several first hand experiences with Brabus tuned Merc on SL, E and S class, they are amazingly efficient and exciting. Although I have not had any experience with Kleemann engine tuning (YET), I have been purchasing many acessories from Kleemann and all I can say is that they are of high qualities and standards too. With very knowledgable stuffs and sales. Though some of Kleemann distributors might not well live up to its standard, but it also doesn' totally define Kleemann tuning capabilities and qualities.

Well, initially.... I didnt want to engage in this arguments because I could not see how my contribution of experiences would be of any help.....
I doubt this one does too. But, I just hope you guys stop arguing and stepping on each other heads....over something like this....I doubt it would end very nicely...Just my 2 cents worth....
Old 03-21-2006, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Shinigami
Guys, guys, guys... let's just chill up a bit here and agree to disagree

I think any "reputable" tuner for an MB is the way to go, and both Brabus and Kleemann are such reputable tuners.
I totally agree Shinigami.

I also totally agree with Zaint10. The only thing that got under my skin is when Ted puts words in my mouth. I never said "BRABUS is king." Also, I don't think it was cool of Ted to try and rain on my parade the day I get my car back. I mean, let me enjoy it for a couple of days before we start ripping apart the miniscule problems. I would be the first to engage in such criticism - but not the day I get the car back.

But you are both right. I would be absolutely THRILLED to have a Kleemann modified SLK. I bet it is totally awesome. Like I said, I used to have a neighbor who just moved away who had a Kleemann modified SL55 - I could hear that car coming from 6 blocks away. I was INCREDIBLY impressed. Also, the pics of Carlsson mods on this site from Adam look INCREDIBLE. They are all great. I live very close to BRABUS NA so I chose to go there.

CASE CLOSED!

PS. Where the hell is Xaveon on all of this . . he started this mess by asking for advice then he abandoned the post. I hope he got what he was looking for - and a whole lot more!

Also, Zaint10, I saw you have HRE wheels - absolutely awesome man - I love 'em.

Last edited by Beleriand; 03-21-2006 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:18 PM
Out Of Control!

Brabus + Kleemann = You can't go wrong with either!
Old 03-21-2006, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
300ce
I totally agree Shinigami.

I also totally agree with Zaint10. The only thing that got under my skin is when Ted puts words in my mouth. I never said "BRABUS is king." Also, I don't think it was cool of Ted to try and rain on my parade the day I get my car back. I mean, let me enjoy it for a couple of days before we start ripping apart the miniscule problems. I would be the first to engage in such criticism - but not the day I get the car back.

But you are both right. I would be absolutely THRILLED to have a Kleemann modified SLK. I bet it is totally awesome. Like I said, I used to have a neighbor who just moved away who had a Kleemann modified SL55 - I could hear that car coming from 6 blocks away. I was INCREDIBLY impressed. Also, the pics of Carlsson mods on this site from Adam look INCREDIBLE. They are all great. I live very close to BRABUS NA so I chose to go there.

CASE CLOSED!

PS. Where the hell is Xaveon on all of this . . he started this mess by asking for advice then he abandoned the post. I hope he got what he was looking for - and a whole lot more!

Also, Zaint10, I saw you have HRE wheels - absolutely awesome man - I love 'em.

............its all good. I did not mean to rain on your parade. This thread was started on the 3/15/06. My intial response was two days later on 3/17/06 and I said:
..........one company uses superchargers, the other company uses displacement. There are no big mysteries in car tunning that only one company knows and the other is totally oblivious to. Each company simply cooses its own strategy. Why we don't understand this and keep debating this is amusing.
............did not intend for the above to rain on your parade and I appologise that it did.

Ted

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Brabus vs Kleemann on SLK55