SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Brabus vs Kleemann on SLK55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 02:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SL55
Brabus vs Kleemann on SLK55

I know that there have been a lot of talk on this subject already. But since there's such low activity on this sub forum, that I wanted to discuss it some more. I'd really like to hear from anyone with first hand experience. My delima is that Brabus matches the factory warranty, on the other hand Kleemann makes more HP but only has 1 year of warranty. For you guys out there with Kleemann or Brabus upgrades out there; what are your feelings?
Old 03-15-2006, 03:01 AM

2005 SL55
Ohh, could you guys also discuss pricing on the two different tuners too. Am I right to believe that Kleemann is less expensive?
Old 03-15-2006, 04:00 AM

S550
I personally think brabus is the way to go. They cost more but they deliver. They have better warranty then any other aftermarket tuners.

So I don't know it just depends where you are located, I am in CA therefore I go for brabus, their main head quaters are in new port beach close to me and I've gotten along very well with their reps.

As for kleemann I have heard some nasty stuff about them and some good stuff about them. I have never had experienced with them, I think they have nice body kits. I just think they have to much complicated upgrades. Where brabus just have 1 kit for each type of upgrade for example B11 or B55 kits, those are the little upgrades then they have engine bored out with larger displacements. I think when a company can deliver that kinda of change IS AWESOME PLUS!! THEY SELL BRABUS cars in mercedes benz germany.

There is also renntech ( Which I had bad experienced with ) There is carlsson ( Never tried their products ) That sorta finishes up whatever aftermarket products in the US ( for engine upgrades )
Old 03-15-2006, 04:09 AM

SLK 55 AMG
Whilst you don't really need to worry about body modifications and the like, engine tuning is the only area where cause for concern into reliability comes into play.

Currently, Brabus offers very, very expensive engine tuning solutions for the SLK, and the ultimate one will add roughly another 100hp to the SLK 55 by increasing displacement. This modification however costs something to the tune of $40,000.

Kleemann on the other hand will add over 200hp for less then half the cost, albeit with a warranty only a third as long as that offered by Brabus.

I haven't heard a lot of bad things with Kleemann, and several people have added the Kleemann supercharger on their SLK with positive results. I do think we're gonna have to wait a year or two to see how their cars continue to run, but it could be that everything will be just fine, and the mod does promise a lot!

Personally, I think Brabus is a bit of a ripoff at times, but the badge does say a lot about quality. It's really up to you, if you can afford it, you'll be able to prance around with a very large displacement SLK 55 (or should that be, SLK 61?). If you want even more power, Kleemann can be that to go for a price tag which is much lower.

In fact, for less then $20,000, you can basically have ~550hp SLK 55. For $40,000, you'll have 445hp SLK 55 from Brabus.

Your call...
Old 03-15-2006, 04:25 AM

ML 320 CDI
Like NY_SG mentionned above, Kleemann has a lot of different engine kits so you have first to consider what you want. I wouldn't go for a Kompressor kit since it will overstress the whole structure/gearbox but perhaps they have other kits I don't know.
For Brabus, you have the B 55 S kit which delivers 390 HP and the 6,1 S kit which delivers 445 HP.

If I were you I would first consider what kind of kit I want: slight modification, heavy changes, Kompressor,etc... Then you'll have to define what other mods you have to do to cope with the power increase (in case of heavy changes) and finally you will have to define a budget to see what you can afford.

NY_SG is also right concerning the warranty, it's a really important point to add to your equation.

As a conclusion, I would say that if you can, go for the 6,1 S kit. Many will spit on this option arguing that a Kompressor will give you more bang for your buck but they compare two different worlds.
with the 6,1 S kit, you just don't buy a engine kit, you buy a new engine. Bottrop plant where Brabus engines are handcrafted are exactly the same than the AMG one in Affalterbach. If you choose this way, you won't have a tuned AMG M113, you will have Brabus M113, with an engine number and the signature of the mecanician who asembled it. Perhaps it's nothing for most of you, but I hope that some see the difference.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:08 PM

S550
I just posted up on the SL forum I saw a yellow and black SL. They both looked CRAZY!

Yellow SL says SL73 ( I think it's a fake ) the Black SL doesnt say anything just a B emblem I am thinking Brabus. haha

Both equally sick but the black I had a chance to race with, and I LOST BIG TIME and i freaking drive an E55 2005! dammit!

But yeah here we go all depends on what you want in your engine mods dude. Honestly speaking I have lay my trust on brabus. They are reputable company. Plus my friends all do brabus on their cars I have 1 friend that did renntech and his engine blew HAHA.
Old 03-15-2006, 04:25 PM

2005 SL55
Wow! $40k for the 6.1 kit??? That's just crazy! I live in LA so Newport Beach is just around the corner, so I can claim the warranty easily if I needed to. But $40k for 100hp is just too much. I know that Kleemann is in Colorado, but do know guys know if there are any good authorized Kleemann shops in Souther California?
Old 03-15-2006, 04:42 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Originally Posted by Paul Le Corre
Like NY_SG mentionned above, Kleemann has a lot of different engine kits so you have first to consider what you want. I wouldn't go for a Kompressor kit since it will overstress the whole structure/gearbox but perhaps they have other kits I don't know.
For Brabus, you have the B 55 S kit which delivers 390 HP and the 6,1 S kit which delivers 445 HP.

If I were you I would first consider what kind of kit I want: slight modification, heavy changes, Kompressor,etc... Then you'll have to define what other mods you have to do to cope with the power increase (in case of heavy changes) and finally you will have to define a budget to see what you can afford.

NY_SG is also right concerning the warranty, it's a really important point to add to your equation.

As a conclusion, I would say that if you can, go for the 6,1 S kit. Many will spit on this option arguing that a Kompressor will give you more bang for your buck but they compare two different worlds.
with the 6,1 S kit, you just don't buy a engine kit, you buy a new engine. Bottrop plant where Brabus engines are handcrafted are exactly the same than the AMG one in Affalterbach. If you choose this way, you won't have a tuned AMG M113, you will have Brabus M113, with an engine number and the signature of the mecanician who asembled it. Perhaps it's nothing for most of you, but I hope that some see the difference.
The blower will overstress the structure & gearbox? Uh, no...it won't & its been proven otherwise both by Kleemann & others (such as myself) through real world experience . I have no idea where some of you people come up with this garbage.

-Matt
Old 03-15-2006, 04:52 PM

SLK 55 AMG
I'd love to here about some experiences on this also, maybe some specific dyno results against prices. projected opions by people is always welcome but rarely of use.

http://www.kleemann.dk/site/Main/tuningsolutions

Don't kleemann provider kompressors to MB for some models?
Old 03-15-2006, 05:54 PM

SLK55
Originally Posted by xaveon
I know that there have been a lot of talk on this subject already. But since there's such low activity on this sub forum, that I wanted to discuss it some more. I'd really like to hear from anyone with first hand experience. My delima is that Brabus matches the factory warranty, on the other hand Kleemann makes more HP but only has 1 year of warranty. For you guys out there with Kleemann or Brabus upgrades out there; what are your feelings?
Both kits are quality pieces. Brabus is the second largest MB tuner behind AMG and Kleeman is used by Fisker for their 300K supercars. The most important consideration is the competency of the installer. A bad install can be a nightmare!
Old 03-15-2006, 05:56 PM

S550
All I know is the in germany they actually sell Brabus cars in mercedes benz showroom.

Brabus has been around for a long time and they have good reputation. I would stick to brabus small engine upgrade. My friend has an sl55 K8 done on it. brabus claims 550 horse power and it was dynoed and he got 580 horses.

If I were you either you go brabus or stick with amg. Have you not seen brabus have all the awesome super 700 600 horse power cars the cls v12s!
Old 03-15-2006, 06:02 PM

2006 Brabus B55 (Brabus Modified SLK55)
As many of you know from previous posts, my SLK55 is at BRABUS in Newport right now getting a lot of upgrades. Here is a list.

B55 Performance Kit
Illuminated door sills
Sport shift knob
Sport steering wheel with shift paddles
Doorlock pins
Stainless and carbon fiber roadster bars
SL antenna kit (color matched)
BRABUS B55 Badging
BRABUS opal engine cover
Alcantara and leather interior accents

My car is completed. They are just waiting on some custom made badges for the engine cover that say B55. I went down there today to have lunch with my sales rep Matt (what's up Matt!) and he started the car up for me. It sounds like a mean, mean machine. He said the tech spent a lot of extra time getting the exact engine note that he liked. It is absolutely incredible. I will pick up the car tomorrow or Friday. I will take pictures then.

Beyond taking a little more time than I wanted (which is more about me being impatient than BRABUS being slow) BRABUS has been absolutely great. My salesman is an enthusiast who really knows his stuff and has been objective and helpful. He seems as excited about my car as I am - what more could you ask for. They have the cleanest shop I have ever seen and all of their people are really classy. If you are ever in Newport, drop by their showroom - I promise you will be sold.

One thing that everyone on this board should be aware of though is that BRABUS NO LONGER MATCHES MB'S 3 or 4 YEAR WARRANTY. BRABUS only offers a 1 year warranty on their engine tuning. So be aware of that. This is a change as of January 1, 2006.

I have had a great experience with BRABUS. I can't imagine anyone doing a better job. There are a lot of options - good ones too - but BRABUS should be at the top of the list.

As for Kleemann, out here in Orange County there are just no real reputable Kleeman shops. The ones I visited that install Kleemann parts - including the one Kleemann referred me to - scared me. BRABUS was just so much more classy and together. I have a neighbor though who has an SL55 with a complete Kleemann kit on it and it looks and sounds incredible. I have no first-hand experience with any other tuners.

That is my take.

Last edited by Beleriand; 03-15-2006 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Beleriand
As many of you know from previous posts, my SLK55 is at BRABUS in Newport right now getting a lot of upgrades. Here is a list.

B55 Performance Kit
Illuminated door sills
Sport shift knob
Doorlock pins
BRABUS B55 Badging
BRABUS opal engine cover

My car is completed. They are just waiting on some custom made badges for the engine cover that say B55. I went down there today to have lunch with my sales rep Matt (what's up Matt!) and he started the car up for me. It sounds like a mean, mean machine. He said the tech spent a lot of extra time getting the exact engine note that he liked. It is absolutely incredible. I will pick up the car tomorrow or Friday. I will take pictures then.

Easty, I know you have probably seen my posting on the other site about BRABUS. Beyond taking a little more time than I wanted (which is more about me being impatient than BRABUS being slow) BRABUS has been absolutely great. My salesman is an enthusiast who really knows his stuff and has been objective and helpful. He seems as excited about my car as I am - what more could you ask for. They have the cleanest shop I have ever seen and all of their people are really classy. If you are ever in Newport, drop by their showroom - I promise you will be sold.

One thing that everyone on this board should be aware of though is that BRABUS NO LONGER MATCHES MB'S 3 or 4 YEAR WARRANTY. BRABUS only offers a 1 year warranty on their engine tuning. So be aware of that. This is a change as of January 1, 2006.

I have had a great experience with BRABUS. I can't imagine anyone doing a better job. There are a lot of options - good ones too - but BRABUS should be at the top of the list.
Wow, that sounds like a lot of work. How much is all that costing you? more than $20k?
Old 03-15-2006, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by JBRhee
Wow, that sounds like a lot of work. How much is all that costing you? more than $20k?
That's a pretty good guess. Maybe a touch more. Once I started getting up in that range they began giving me some nice discounts. I feel like I am getting my money's worth.

The real reason you get a car modded like this is to stand out in the crowd. A lot of people will be plenty satisfied with the stock SLK55 - good for them. I want to stand out in a crowd. Nothing draws attention like BRABUS.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:29 PM

That's a pretty good guess. Maybe a touch more. Once I started getting up in that range they began giving me some nice discounts. I feel like I am getting my money's worth.

The real reason you get a car modded like this is to stand out in the crowd. A lot of people will be plenty satisfied with the stock SLK55 - good for them. I want to stand out in a crowd. Nothing draws attention like BRABUS.
I can't wait to see the pics!! Do you go to school down in Irvine or are you a part of the working world?
Old 03-15-2006, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by JBRhee
I can't wait to see the pics!! Do you go to school down in Irvine or are you a part of the working world?
I am an attorney in Irvine. No more school for me.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:34 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55

B55 Performance Kit
Illuminated door sills
Sport shift knob
Doorlock pins
BRABUS B55 Badging
BRABUS opal engine cover

Beyond taking a little more time than I wanted (which is more about me being impatient than BRABUS being slow) BRABUS has been absolutely great. My salesman is an enthusiast who really knows his stuff and has been objective and helpful. He seems as excited about my car as I am - what more could you ask for. They have the cleanest shop I have ever seen and all of their people are really classy. If you are ever in Newport, drop by their showroom - I promise you will be sold.

As for Kleemann, out here in Orange County there are just no real reputable Kleeman shops. The ones I visited that install Kleemann parts - including the one Kleemann referred me to - scared me. BRABUS was just so much more classy and together. I have a neighbor though who has an SL55 with a complete Kleemann kit on it and it looks and sounds incredible. I have no first-hand experience with any other tuners.

That is my take.
Pal, that is really COOL! I'm glad you are happy with Brabus & your car - that is what matters. Good luck not getting a ticket when you get your car back!

See ya,
-Matt
Old 03-16-2006, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by Yellow R1
Pal, that is really COOL! I'm glad you are happy with Brabus & your car - that is what matters. Good luck not getting a ticket when you get your car back!

See ya,
-Matt
That's what the V1 is for.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG, 2006 Range Rover Sport with Kahn Design Package
If you have the money, go for Brabus or Carlsson for performance package. The reason you pay big bucks for it is quality and consistency. Renntech is also one reputable MBZ engine tuner. So you have three tuners to think about!
Old 03-16-2006, 03:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG, 2006 Range Rover Sport with Kahn Design Package
Oh yeah, and hi to you MATT!
Old 03-16-2006, 01:00 PM

S550
I still think renntech is garbage. Just coz my friend got a g55 non supercharged version and he put renntech supercharger in and it has problems.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:26 PM

2005 SL55
Do any of you guys have a pricelist for Brabus and/or Kleemann? If Brabus is only offering 1 year warranty now, I'd really have to think twice about Brabus vs. Kleemann. Twice the cost of half the power, and same warranty. Not a very hard decision. If I do go with Kleemann, I'd ship the car to Colorado for Kleemann HQ to install it.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:28 PM

2005 SL55
Could you guys that have the Kleemann Supercharger Kit installed for your SLK55 please comment on it. How did the car feel after the kit was installed? Where did you install it? Were your instsallers competent? Are you happy with it? Has your overall driving experience increased?
Old 03-16-2006, 04:42 PM

Do any of you guys have a pricelist for Brabus and/or Kleemann? If Brabus is only offering 1 year warranty now, I'd really have to think twice about Brabus vs. Kleemann. Twice the cost of half the power, and same warranty. Not a very hard decision. If I do go with Kleemann, I'd ship the car to Colorado for Kleemann HQ to install it.
It really comes down to whether or not you want to supercharge the engine. If you want to keep the engine naturally aspirated then go with BRABUS. If you are dead-set on getting a kompressor then go to Kleemann. It is that simple. What Kleemann offers in terms of non-supercharging is pretty limited (headers, ECU, filter, etc.) and will net you the same horsepower gains as the BRABUS B55 (around 390 - 400 on both bhp and trq). The BRABUS B55 will cost you more but that is because they do a more substantial yet more effective modification - a camshaft upgrade, new valve springs and an adjustment to your combustion ratio. All of the research that I have done states that this approach is the best way to get meaningful hp gains while remaining naturally aspirated. Do some research into superchargers. I would suggest picking up a book called "Car Hacks and Mods for Dummies." http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/076...Fencoding=UTF8 . It is a great resource for the novice modder. There are positives and negatives to each approach (supercharging vs. natural aspiration). Become educated as to what they are first hand before you jump in. People's opinions are fine, but nothing can compare with gaining your own knowledge. Also, just email Kleemann and ask them to refer you to a compentent Kleemann installer in your area - I can't see any reason to ship your car to Colorado. http://www.kleemann.dk/site I emailed them and in 24 hours they responded with a list of 3 shops in my area - each with many years of Kleemann experience and a direct pipeline to the parts.

Good luck.

Last edited by Beleriand; 03-16-2006 at 04:58 PM.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Could you guys that have the Kleemann Supercharger Kit installed for your SLK55 please comment on it. How did the car feel after the kit was installed? Where did you install it? Were your instsallers competent? Are you happy with it? Has your overall driving experience increased?
Do a search for Yellow_R1's old post, he's extremely happy with his Kleemannized beast.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Brabus vs Kleemann on SLK55