SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Anyone else dislike the upshift/downshift buttons behind the wheel?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2006 | 11:24 AM

OLD: 2004 C230 Sport Sedan, NEW: 2007 SLK350
Anyone else dislike the upshift/downshift buttons behind the wheel?

When I first drove the new SLK55 AMG, I accidentally pressed the left button behind the steering wheel, and then quickly pressed the right button to get the car back to where it was...

the sudden deceleration and rise in RPM was alarming for a second, then I realized what was going on...

now I have been driving an automatic for a while now... once I drove a Mazda6 on a business trip and tried out the "Tiptronic" system, but it didn't do much for me.. maybe I'll get a manual when I can finally afford a Ferrari.. :-)

anyway, at least I could leave it alone in the Mazda6... but on the SLK55 AMG, my hands kept finding those buttons in the back.. weird placement, if you ask me..

anyone else here bothered by the placement of those buttons?
Old 03-16-2006 | 11:47 AM

2006 Brabus B55 (Brabus Modified SLK55)
I like the ability to shift with the buttons on the wheel. It allows you to have power at your fingertips - waiting for you - in case you need it. The automatic is sluggish in comparison. I don't use it all the time but I do use it when I want to push the car a bit. I agree that the placement is odd and a bit cheap. They feel like the hip buttons on a video game controller. I was always hitting them by accident too. So I went to BRABUS and got their Sport steering wheel with shifting "paddles". They are actually paddles that come up behind the steering wheel and extend up about 4 inches. They are made of chrome and are nearly impossible to push by mistake. It has made using the manual gear shifting a lot more enjoyable. Check it out.
Old 03-16-2006 | 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
When I first got my C55, I experienced the exact same thing. When turning the steering wheel, I sometimes accidentally would hit one of the shift buttons on the back of the steering wheel. With more time, you get used to it by being more careful with how you wrap your fingers around the steering wheel. Now, it almost never happens.

Like many people here, I have thought about replacing the shift buttons with shift "paddles" that now come with the facelifted SL55 and the upcoming CLK63. My only question is whether this will really decrease the risk of accidentally shifting. From the pictures I've seen, the base of the new AMG paddles is in the same position of the current shift buttons. Sure, the paddles stick up so you can reach them easier if you hold the steering wheel higher, but i don't think this design will prevent accidental shifting compared to the current buttons. What do you guys think?

Pics of the SL55 facelift:
Attached Thumbnails Anyone else dislike the upshift/downshift buttons behind the wheel?-2060201.006.mini5l.jpg   Anyone else dislike the upshift/downshift buttons behind the wheel?-2060201.006.mini1l.jpg  
Old 03-16-2006 | 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
And here is a pic of the steering wheel on the C55 for comparison. The new "paddles" are just extensions of the buttons that are currently present.

Can someone post a pic of the Brabus steering wheel with paddles? Is it a completely different design than the new AMG steering wheel paddle?
Attached Thumbnails Anyone else dislike the upshift/downshift buttons behind the wheel?-amg_c_5_sm.jpg  
Old 03-16-2006 | 01:43 PM

SLK 55 AMG
The Brabus steering wheel has been posted several times. Do a search and you'll find it
Old 03-16-2006 | 04:18 PM

Lamborghini Gallardo, Turbo, SLK 55, E350 4Matic, Xterra
the brabus steering wheel vs the mb paddel shifters if you buy only the paddels is a big price difference. would be nice to see the mb paddel stearing wheel.
Old 03-21-2006 | 10:10 AM

2009 C63
I like them just as they are.
Very easy to use and reach while driving.

Trending Topics

Old 03-21-2006 | 09:12 PM

C63s coupe
Can we programatically turn off ...

Can these buttons be turned off, preferably with off set as the default (like ESP on is the default at each engine start up)?

My current 2001 CLK55 does not have the shift buttons, but I drove SLK55s etc. at the AMG Challenge last year and hated them. I actually felt they were a safety issue, repeatedly activating them accidentally at the worst possible times.

I could hand my mother the keys to my CLK55 and send her on a beer run (OK grocery run), but there is no way I would do that if my CLK had the shift buttons and they were activated. I am sure one gets used to them, but until one does they can really freak you out with unexpected shifts in turns.
Old 04-04-2006 | 01:18 PM

OLD: 2004 C230 Sport Sedan, NEW: 2007 SLK350
Originally Posted by rroberts
Can these buttons be turned off, preferably with off set as the default (like ESP on is the default at each engine start up)?

My current 2001 CLK55 does not have the shift buttons, but I drove SLK55s etc. at the AMG Challenge last year and hated them. I actually felt they were a safety issue, repeatedly activating them accidentally at the worst possible times.

I could hand my mother the keys to my CLK55 and send her on a beer run (OK grocery run), but there is no way I would do that if my CLK had the shift buttons and they were activated. I am sure one gets used to them, but until one does they can really freak you out with unexpected shifts in turns.

I agree, man. And I don't think you can turn them off.

In the "Build a Benz" section of their website, I picked the non-AMG SLK, and the automatic had the shift paddles as an extra option... but it seems like the AMG just comes with it.

For the SLK280 and SLK350, the AMG Sport Package has:
321 AMG Sport Package

SLK AMG Sport Package
Pump up the appearance and performance of your SLK-Class even more with the optional AMG Sports Package. 17" AMG 5-spoke alloy wheels, AMG-design front air dam with mesh air intakes, side skirts and a rear apron create an even sportier look. A lowered sport suspension and steering-wheel shift buttons (with automatic transmission) give you all the performance you'll ever need in your SLK.
Old 04-04-2006 | 04:05 PM

SLK 55 AMG
If you really don't like the buttons, you can always unplug the wiring inside the steering wheel. Pretty sure any automotive shop can do it.