SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Z4M vs. slk55?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12 CLS550, 09 CLS550, 04Cooper,10 Cooper S
that new Z4 from auto bild kinda looks like a Miata with a BMW grill.....

As far as the skyline being a nissan, wasn't the NSX a honda when it first showed up? ....and I liked that, honda has a F1 team and their division acura dosent. I am not aware of this but does infiniti have any racing heritage.....if not giving their high end sports car, that is track friendly, should be a nissan
Old 04-13-2006, 11:46 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by LETO
As far as the skyline being a nissan, wasn't the NSX a honda when it first showed up? ....and I liked that, honda has a F1 team and their division acura dosent. I am not aware of this but does infiniti have any racing heritage.....if not giving their high end sports car, that is track friendly, should be a nissan
The only reason I was expecting it to be an Infiniti was b/c of the price ($70k+).

Last edited by Maverick!; 04-13-2006 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Maverick!
The only reason I was expecting it to be an Infiniti was b/c of the price ($70k+).

So was I, and the service departments at Infiniti are worlds apart from the Nissan ones. I can't see how they can run the typical Nissan warranty and service on a car this price. It's too bad, as I like the sound of this car.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:16 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by slk55lvr
So was I, and the service departments at Infiniti are worlds apart from the Nissan ones. I can't see how they can run the typical Nissan warranty and service on a car this price. It's too bad, as I like the sound of this car.
Yeah, tell me about it.
Old 04-19-2006, 03:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
sorry for the late response...

Originally Posted by Shinigami
I don't think that's quite how it works.

AMG is just one plant in Germany that does all the work.

The M division works around the world at every manufacturing plant that builds a model.

As such, the M is not an individual creation with a hand crafted engine by one skilled engineer in one single place, more like assembly line stuff.

*shrug*
u didnt understand what i was tryin to say: m cars r more performance oriented than amgs, i guess thats the simple way to put it
for example u can get a slk350, spend $20000 on it and have a car thats close to the 55 or better in all the performance aspects, plus its better balanced and will surely feel better to drive b/c its lighter and has a 6spd option. with bmw u cant do that, u can spend all the money on a given model and it will never ever feel like its models respective m car.

BTW,
my dads ml55 was built in the US.
amg doesnt do all the work, they only build the engines and performance parts (brakes, shocks, springs, tranny ecu.....)
Old 04-19-2006, 09:11 AM

SLK 55 AMG
Yes, the ML is built in the states, but the AMG plant in Germany supposedly does some major work on the ML AMG in their plant... not in the US.

Although I'm not quite sure how that works. All I know is that the engines (being one of the main components), is always assembled in Germany, whilst BMW builds M engines wherever they have a market for it.

Anyway, about the cars. Yeah, M's are a special breed. Good cars, good power, they do the trick for a lot of people.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by Shinigami
Yes, the ML is built in the states, but the AMG plant in Germany supposedly does some major work on the ML AMG in their plant... not in the US.

Although I'm not quite sure how that works. All I know is that the engines (being one of the main components), is always assembled in Germany, whilst BMW builds M engines wherever they have a market for it.

Anyway, about the cars. Yeah, M's are a special breed. Good cars, good power, they do the trick for a lot of people.
im really considering the z4m coupe or the e39 m5 (stick and looks much better than the new 1) if i can find a very low mi in excellent condition
Old 04-20-2006, 02:51 AM

C 230K Coupé
I test drove the SLK55 recently and i must admit that thing is a BEAST. The 7speed auto transmission was great but I WISH it came with a 6speed manual. On a straight line the car was insane but handling it didn't feel too direct but that's possibly cause I only drove it once...
The Z4M I haven't driven yet but I'm drooling about the 6speed transmission and the handling of the M's. Though I would argue that M is much more performance oriented while the slk55 is more about luxury.
This is just my opinion so lets not start a flaming war
Old 04-20-2006, 04:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by r3v1ls
Though I would argue that M is much more performance oriented while the slk55 is more about luxury.
This is just my opinion so lets not start a flaming war

no sane/knowledgeable (spl?) person will argue that