SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Z4M vs. slk55?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Range Rover (Borrego Ed.), M3, Ambulance!
Z4M vs. slk55?

So Im looking to move out of my M3 into either the new Z4 M or the slk 55. What do y'all think about each car? Any likes/dislikes? Anyone having the same issue? Thanks.

Walshy
Old 04-07-2006, 12:16 AM
Almost a Member!

2006 SLK55 AMG
I still have my M3 along with my new SLK55. I like the SLK55 better but wish I had the SMG from the M3. I really dislike the looks of the Z4 so that wouldn't even be an option for me.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by CDN-SLK55
I still have my M3 along with my new SLK55. I like the SLK55 better but wish I had the SMG from the M3. I really dislike the looks of the Z4 so that wouldn't even be an option for me.
You are living my dream. I wanted to get an M3 before I got the 55. Damn. I had to choose between the two, and you own both.

Anyway, Walshy, I think you're going to get biased opinions from us here. But personally, if you're willing to spend the extra money, the SLK55 may be favorable. The Z4M is $51k or so, which is about $11k cheaper than the base 55. You're also talking completely different engines. The Z4M has a I6 and the 55 has a handcrafted V8. Also, this is minor, but the 55 has pretty AMG brake calipers.

Oh yeah, and correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Z4M still use a ragtop?

BUT, i will admit, the 55 has a rough ride. I'm sure the ride is MUCH smoother in the Z4. The best thing to do is test drive both cars!

Last edited by JBRhee; 04-07-2006 at 12:35 AM.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 C320wz
SLK 55 is better looking but the Z4M got the old style manual transmission .
Old 04-07-2006, 03:15 AM

2006 SLK 55
I'm with CDN-SLK55. I find the Z4 ugly.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:39 AM

SLK 55 AMG
The "forté" of the Z4 is the manual gearbox.

Ask yourself, do you want to drive manual, or automatic (knowing that the automatic gives you a better roof, and some other creature comforts).
Old 04-07-2006, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
You will get bias opinions here, if you post this on z4um.com, you will get the same, the best way is to test drive it yourself and make your own decision. With that said, here's my opinion.

Z4M:
1. I didn't get it b/c there's about a million and one on the road here along with the boxster.
2. Resale value is crap. I helped my brother take his BMW X5 to get his brakes replaced and while waiting, I looked around the showroom, saw a Z4 fully loaded with a big sticker 10K off MSRP and the salesman said, if I like it, we could work out a better deal. 12.5K off MSRP!!!!! I feel sorry for Z4 owners now.
3. A little too late for the increase of horsepower w/o a new design. How much longer are they trying to kept this design. The Z4 is not selling anymore, time for a change.

SLK55:
1. No Manual
2. No Manual
3. NO Manual !!!!!!

Old 04-07-2006, 09:54 AM

12 CLS550, 09 CLS550, 04Cooper,10 Cooper S
I used to have a Z4 and switched into the 55, after considering a M3 coupe, Boxster S and even thinking of waiting for a cayman S.

Even though the 55 has a harsh ride, the Z4's sport suspention is like being dragged behind something on some US roads (this is largely attributed to the run flat tires the car comes with)

What would deter me from buying a Z4 M would be :

1. The car absolutely does not look like it cost 51K+ when you look at it

2. It is still a rag top

3. Abyssmal resale.....BMW Z3M models, coupe and roadster depreciated like crazy. The Z4 has had a poor sales record, I got $6K off when I bought mine new....and still lost money on it when I traded it for the 55

4. The Z4 cabin is small and dark with the top up and rearward visibility is very poor. This makes for an extremely depressing space for the passenger when the top is up.

Why I would consider the Z4M :

Only 1 reason, the Z4 I had, had extremely good steering feel, the chasis was very nimble.........add the current M3's engine to that and a M differential....with better brakes,......you get the point.

My advice to you is to drive both cars, top up and down. Get your significant others opinion about being a passenger (very importnat....as no passenger ever enjoyed being in my Z4 or getting in and out with the top up). I think you will feel that the 55 (though 10K or so more in price), looks and feels significantly more up market than the Z4M feels aesthetically cheap.

p.s.> I dont think the z4 is ugly, i think it is the only model in the current bangleized lineup that desrves a second look.....it has some soul in it's design, and dosent look like some car that caters to a buyer with absolutely no originality in taste

Last edited by LETO; 04-07-2006 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:52 PM

c32
The only reason I would say not to get the slk55 would be that I would think the z4 will handle batter and be more close to what your used to. I have had plenty of bmw and benzes, the bmw all handle better...You feel more connected to road....

That aside...slk55 is more rare, has a tight ride and the v8 is simply awesome. Great exhaust note and fast enough to keep you begging for more...I love my slk55 but I think the z4 m is a great car too.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:18 PM

'14 428i M-Sport, '02 C32 AMG
one thing i don't like about the Z4M Roadster is that the s54 engine is carried over from the previous generation. the s54 is a fantastic motor, and every bit sports car worthy, but people forget that the same motor (rated at 315hp, the difference b/t power figures of the e46 m3 and s54 m coupe/roadsters attributed to exhaust work) was used just a few years ago. to my knowledge, it remains unchanged, yet a new generation is presented. i would not expect it to be significantly faster, if at all, than s54 m roadsters and coupes of 2001+ model years.

the Z4M seems like a great car, but a big v8 in a small car like slk55 appeals to me. i also like the retractable hardtop. the slk's styling is a bit more fresh than the z4's also imo.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:34 AM

I think both cars have great attributes, but have made some compromises to strengthen some more than others. In my own humble opinion:

LOOKS---slk55 hands down, that z4 still has too many creases in it. In factg, score this round 10-8 for the benz, it's a knockout.

Creature Comforts-- That folding hardtop is a sight to behold, and unless you plan on adding the removable hardtop option or are planning on a coupe the benz is till the only choice. Interior of the slk is still clearly better.

Canyon carving-- I drove the old z4 and it was no joke in the handling department! Add a great 6 speed MANUAL and the z4 wins hands down.

Speed--While the slk may still be faster in a straight lin, i'll bet the z4m drives faster and is more nimble in the curves. I'm guessing the slk will weigh about 300 lbs more than the z4m due to the hartop.

I don't think you could make a bad buy with either car. If they are the same price I'd choose the slk, if the z4m is 10k cheaper it would be a close call.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:49 AM

06 SLK55
Most of the new car mags have first drives, and as usual it is being compared to the boxer S...most say that the M's engine is superior, but everything else(ride, handling, aesthetics).

The SLK55 remains in a league of its own!!!
Old 04-08-2006, 06:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
im thinking of getting the z4m COUPE.
i want a stick and lighter weight, they r two different cars when it comes to luxury/comfort v. performance compromise.
the slk55 is first a mercedes and then an AMG (like every other AMG), the M cars r first M division and then BMW.
BTW,
i read in autocar (maybe EVO ) that the z4 m Roadster rides like ****, it way too hard
Old 04-08-2006, 01:37 PM

SLK 55 AMG
Originally Posted by AMG_55
the slk55 is first a mercedes and then an AMG (like every other AMG), the M cars r first M division and then BMW.
I don't think that's quite how it works.

AMG is just one plant in Germany that does all the work.

The M division works around the world at every manufacturing plant that builds a model.

As such, the M is not an individual creation with a hand crafted engine by one skilled engineer in one single place, more like assembly line stuff.

*shrug*
Old 04-09-2006, 12:41 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by WalshyNC
So Im looking to move out of my M3 into either the new Z4 M or the slk 55. What do y'all think about each car? Any likes/dislikes? Anyone having the same issue? Thanks.

Walshy
I'm having a similar issue. I had an e46 M3 & then I got rid of it b/c I got bored so I got an suv...Big mistake!

My b-day's coming up so the last couple weeks I've been pondering what to get to treat myself. Here's what I was thinking:

911 Carrera S - Drove it, loved it...Just can't decide if the $$$ worth it

Cayman S - Drove it, liked it but it needs more power & I'm not sure if it's worth the $$$

SLK55 - Drove it, loved it...except I wish it had a manual

z4 M roadster - Saw it at the $tealership but they wouldn't let me test drive it since it's so new. I know it's new & all but I can't justify paying $55k+ on a vehicle w/o even test driving it. I know it has the same engine in my old car but I'd like to know how the driving experience is in the z4 M. FWIW, it's about 3200 pounds

z4 M coupe - Should be available by end of May/early June. I'm sure the $tealership won't let me drive this as well but hey I might get lucky. I'd rather have this then the z4 M roadster since it's lighter (3100 pounds) & more agile since it's a coupe.

At this point I'm leaning towards the 911 or the SLK. Either that or wait next year & see how the competition (new M3 & Infiniti Skyline) stacks up. Good luck w/your decision!

Last edited by Maverick!; 04-09-2006 at 02:22 AM.
Old 04-09-2006, 01:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 C320wz
Originally Posted by Maverick!
I'm having a similar issue. I had an e46 M3 & then I got rid of it b/c I got bored so I got an suv...Big mistake!

My b-day's coming up so the last couple weeks I've been pondering what to get to treat myself. Here's what I was thinking:

911 Carrera S - Drove it, loved it...Just can't decide if the $$$ worth it.

Cayman S - Drove it, liked it but it needs more power & I'm not sure if it's worth the $$$.

z4 4 M roader - Saw it at the dealership but they wouldn't let me test drive it since it's so new. I know it's new & all but I can't justify paying $55k+ on a vehicle w/o even test driving it. I know it has the same engine in my old car but I'd like to know how the driving experience is in the z4 M.

At this point I'm leaning towards the 911 or the SLK. Either that or wait next year & see how the competition (new M3 & Infiniti Skyline) stacks up. Good luck w/your decision!
I'm surprised the Corvette C6 Z06 is not on your list of cars to consider
Old 04-09-2006, 01:25 AM

911 Carrera S - Drove it, loved it...Just can't decide if the $$$ worth it.

Cayman S - Drove it, liked it but it needs more power & I'm not sure if it's worth the $$$.

z4 4 M roader - Saw it at the dealership but they wouldn't let me test drive it since it's so new. I know it's new & all but I can't justify paying $55k+ on a vehicle w/o even test driving it. I know it has the same engine in my old car but I'd like to know how the driving experience is in the z4 M.

Nice list! I agree with your hesitation on whether the Porsche's are a good value for what they cost new. I would wait until next year, as there will be a lot more options and this should drive the cost down on some used Porsche's. I really love the SLK55, but wish it had a manual too
Old 04-09-2006, 02:29 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by mick1
I'm surprised the Corvette C6 Z06 is not on your list of cars to consider
It would be...had it not been for the interior design. I sat in one the other day at the Dallas Auto Show & I absolutely hated the interior (Typical domestic stuff). IMO, the interior's better then the previous C5 Vette' but still not up to par w/Japan & Euro vehicles. Then again the z4 M's weren't that much better on the inside either, lol.

Originally Posted by slk55lvr
Nice list! I agree with your hesitation on whether the Porsche's are a good value for what they cost new. I would wait until next year, as there will be a lot more options and this should drive the cost down on some used Porsche's. I really love the SLK55, but wish it had a manual too
Thx about the list! The reason I don't think I can wait til next year is b/c I'M DRIVING AN SUV NOW!

I just edited my last post to include the z4 M coupe since I forgot about it.

Last edited by Maverick!; 04-09-2006 at 02:34 AM.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:46 AM

12 CLS550, 09 CLS550, 04Cooper,10 Cooper S
The reason I don't think I can wait til next year is b/c I'M DRIVING AN SUV NOW!

I agree with you.....after a M3, not having a high performance car must suck. If you want a new car, get what you want to be in now......dont wait a year....the argument that you could wait for someting better is just silly.....there is always going to be something better on the horizon.....it is more fun to try and catch it something you currently enjoy driving.

For what it's worth, I love the Porsche CS, it's the only porsche that I can justify being taken on the options list.....and I love my SLK55, especially now that it is warmer and i am getting traction!!!

The vette is very nice, but you are right about the crap interior.....they have been making the vette as long as porsche has been making the 911, and for the first time, porsche has actually realized that their customers do care about interior aesthetics when they are shelling close to a 100K on a car, Chevy, needs to do the same.......
Old 04-12-2006, 01:45 AM
Almost a Member!

SLK55 black, heads, cam and tune
Originally Posted by KompressorKev
one thing i don't like about the Z4M Roadster is that the s54 engine is carried over from the previous generation. .
The same now applies to the SLK55... MB's new generation 5.5L (non amg and non "hand built") avaliable in the E class and S class has more HP and TQ...
Old 04-12-2006, 01:48 AM

AMG
the SLK 55 will drive better, looks better , goes better. (PS2 Michelins)
Old 04-12-2006, 08:50 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by LETO
I agree with you.....after a M3, not having a high performance car must suck. If you want a new car, get what you want to be in now......dont wait a year....the argument that you could wait for someting better is just silly.....there is always going to be something better on the horizon.....it is more fun to try and catch it something you currently enjoy driving.

For what it's worth, I love the Porsche CS, it's the only porsche that I can justify being taken on the options list.....and I love my SLK55, especially now that it is warmer and i am getting traction!!!

The vette is very nice, but you are right about the crap interior.....they have been making the vette as long as porsche has been making the 911, and for the first time, porsche has actually realized that their customers do care about interior aesthetics when they are shelling close to a 100K on a car, Chevy, needs to do the same.......
Ok I can probably kiss the Skyline/GTR off the list now that Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn just announced it won't come to the states until Spring 08'. I want something SOON! BTW, he also stated it'll be sold as a Nissan, not an Infiniti. The SLK 55's looking nicer & nicer now...
Old 04-12-2006, 09:47 PM

Ok I can probably kiss the Skyline/GTR off the list now that Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn just announced it won't come to the states until Spring 08'. I want something SOON! BTW, he also stated it'll be sold as a Nissan, not an Infiniti. The SLK 55's looking nicer & nicer now...

I don't know what they are smoking if they think that car will sell at 70k + at a Nissan dealership. Maybe it's just around here, but the Nissan dealerships have some of the worst service departments I've ever seen. Nissan warranties are also 3yrs/36k, which is not going to cut it for a car playing in this league.

I smell a dismal failure unfolding here.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:02 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by slk55lvr
I don't know what they are smoking if they think that car will sell at 70k + at a Nissan dealership. Maybe it's just around here, but the Nissan dealerships have some of the worst service departments I've ever seen. Nissan warranties are also 3yrs/36k, which is not going to cut it for a car playing in this league.

I smell a dismal failure unfolding here.
Yeah, I was expecting it to be an Infiniti due to the price. I'm not saying that'd be the only reason why I choose not to get it but it doesn't help its own cause you know?

I just saw interior spy pics of the new BMW 3-series coupe...If the new e90 M3 is anywhere close to those pics (Read: iDrive) then I'll past on that as well.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 C320wz
I like the look of the next Z4 (2009) better than the current one.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Z4M vs. slk55?