SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK 55 vs Boxster S (video)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK55 AMG
SLK 55 vs Boxster S (video)

I'm new so my bad if this has already been posted....cool video.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BT7qJN7kU...rch=top%20gear
Old 05-02-2006, 03:10 PM

SLK55 AMG
Had this been posted in the past?
Old 05-02-2006, 04:10 PM

2005 S4
not sure, but it is a pretty cool video with two sweet cars!
Old 05-03-2006, 01:55 AM

06 SLK55
yes...repost...and actually pretty dissapointing as igt isnt a test at all...no results that mean anyting
Old 05-03-2006, 07:36 AM

987S
There is a good Best Motoring video out there on the interweb somewhere that features the SLK55 at Tsukuba...... the SLK runs against the S2000, 350Z, Z4 3.0, Crossfire SRT-6 and old Boxster S.

Its a shame it didn't feature the new Boxster S because it would have been more of a challenge than the old Boxster.......

If I find a link to the video I'll post it
Old 05-03-2006, 10:20 PM

'06 SLK55 AMG, del Sol VTEC
Even though it wasn't a proper head to head test, it was cool. However, you could take the real result as the SLK55 winning in the most unequivical way - shortly after that episode Clarkson bought himself one, out of his own pocket (as the daily driver to his Ford GT).
Old 05-03-2006, 11:22 PM

Don't have a Mercedes right now...
I know that it is off topic but I was always wondering; how come the American car shows (i.e car crazy etc) are so lame compared to the European ones (i.e. Top Gear and Fifth Gear)?!! There is virtualy no comparison, I mean most of the times the car companies don't even let them race their cars in their reviews!
Old 05-04-2006, 04:41 AM

987S
Originally Posted by lennyr
Even though it wasn't a proper head to head test, it was cool. However, you could take the real result as the SLK55 winning in the most unequivical way - shortly after that episode Clarkson bought himself one, out of his own pocket (as the daily driver to his Ford GT).
Only if you don't mind being shot!
Old 05-05-2006, 05:34 AM

987S
Originally Posted by kchristos
I know that it is off topic but I was always wondering; how come the American car shows (i.e car crazy etc) are so lame compared to the European ones (i.e. Top Gear and Fifth Gear)?!! There is virtualy no comparison, I mean most of the times the car companies don't even let them race their cars in their reviews!
We prefer to be called British rather than European......
Old 05-06-2006, 05:11 PM

Wink Another newbie

I am new as well and had not seen it.Thanks for sharing it. I drove the new Boxter S and "liked" it. Very precise and balanced.....and boring unless at the limit! If I didn't already have a track car I would consider it, but I did what Clarkson did. I bought the SLK55. I LOVE the car in spite of it's shortcomings. It is fun all the time. Especially last night when I ran away from a new 911 tiptronic. I liked the way the video takes the **** out of car tests in general. Most aren't valid for the real world.
Cheers from Arizona.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:33 PM

fun video

very British
almost a recruitment vid for the British military
Clarkson played off male fantasy & made a fine go of it, but I don't think this mode of comparison all that useful other than to help with TV ratings
still the glee on Clarkson's face tells reams about what the AMG 55 is about
MB wisely decided to offer up a machismo sports car & delivered the goods
Clarkson's diss of the sun visor was grossly unfair ...I love their elegant design and in particular the card holder built in ...I even like the little perforations at the edges ...very elegant use of high grade plastic, IMHO
he also had a problem getting the automatic transmission to do his bidding
pure hog tripe that
now one of the biggest questions about my AMG 55 purchase was the fact that a manual transmission was not available ...I had not owned an automatic for almost 35 years and not having one in the AMG 55 seemed a major minus
I have to say that while I love the feel a manual affords, it is very hard to better the performance of this outstanding transmission, once you get to know its tricks ...I have to believe Clarkson was a bit unfair when he waited for the transmission to engage during the shooting test drive ...I cannot believe he did not know how to engage the manual mode of the transmission which shifts very nearly as fast as I have been able to shift any manual transmission car I have ever owned including a '73 Lotus Elan or my dearly beloved '93 Mazda RX-7, both of which had excellent manual trannys
the look on his face of sheer delight is one I have as well with this amazing car ...I test drove the Porsche Carrera turbo, the new Morgan Aero and the Corvette before deciding on the AMG 55
none of these cars had as high a grin factor for me, though the Morgan came close
thanks for sharing this fun link
Old 05-09-2006, 04:49 PM

SLK55 AMG
Artichoke,

Well said.

Question, u mentioined the Slk 55 being more fun then the carrera turbo (996 i assume)......i was curious what about the 55 u enjoyed more.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:40 PM

maybe I feel more comfortable

with the engine in front of me ...I understand what Clarkson meant by "clinical" handling & in a test drive one does not usually push a car much
I also much prefer the sound of the Mercedes & I have had folks sitting behind me at a light applaud when I put up the roof of the Mercedes ...it is quite a trick that the Porsche lacks
the transmission of the Mercedes is actually a great deal of fun as well, much to my surprise ...also I find the looks of the AMG-55 more fun than the Porsche by a long shot
of course I love anticipating fun & should the fun factor diminish with my AMG-55, I may just add a blower, though I doubt this will be an issue for me