SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Better pads?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too many to list
Better pads?

Does anyone make better pads for this car?

I tracked the last two weekend and it does well on a roadcourse, but I was getting brake fade after the first turn (A long straight where it reaches 142mph and then hard breaking into a 70mph turn).

I was running Hoosier A6s which have amazing grip as I picked up over 5 seconds compared to the stock Pirellis on a 1:30 minute roadcourse.

I replaced the fluid with Motul, but that didn't help. The brakes aren't that good on the track.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Porterfields?

I haven't tried Porterfields yet on my 55, but have had great success over the years using Porterfields on the track in my 512TR. I've used the R4s, but would also consider the R4E (endurance/road racing), as they're supposed to be easier on your rotors.

Limitations: they need to be bedded in, or risk rapid thermal failure (back straight at Mid-Ohio, in my case), they are a bit tough on the rotors, and they squeal in street use (although they can't be any worse than the stock AMG pads in that regard!). With these pads and Motul, no problems for me, even at tracks like Watkins Glen and Road America.

All of that said, I'm not certain that Porterfield makes the pad for the R171 yet! A quick check on their web site should confirm or deny.