Made friends sick! How about you?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2006 | 03:08 AM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
Made friends sick! How about you?

Today, I was visiting at a friend's house. There were three of us. At the end of the night, we were talking about the car. I asked my friend if he had ever taken a ride in my car yet, he said yes. But then, I remembered that it was when I owned the 350, not the 55. I told him this would be a bit different. I invited him for a quick ride and he jumped in.

We drove a few blocks from his house and found a perfect road. You know the type. One of those deserted roads with farms on either side, clear view, etc. To top it off, it was like this for about 3-5 miles.

I stopped, took off ESP, placed it in S mode, and was ready to go. Did a little brake-torquing and we shot off. It was cool to hear the grunts and "oh ****s" from him as the car gained speed. In no time, we hit 120mph. As he was commenting on how ridiculously fast the car was, I hit the brakes. Seatbelt tensioners were in full effect. Since I only made a small comment about the brakes before engaging them, he didn't see it coming. I could tell he lost his breath and could only manage to make an "ugh" sound. By the time we stopped, he felt pretty sick, but had fun!

I took him back home and gave the next one a ride. He kept commenting on the engine, exhaust, speed, and brakes. At the end, he said it was the fastest car he'd ever been in.

I'm happy to say I gave them both a rush. They're probably a bit queasy now, but they'll get over it.

So, any of you ever make your friends sick or scare the crap out of them?
Old 05-29-2006 | 06:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G55 & SLK55
Ive scared many Friends, I have a friend which has a 06 Vw gti and he was always saying how fast it was etc, After the speedbump I gave it fulthrottle esp was off and the car was accelerating very hard, He said SHIIIIIIIIIIT, It nearly broke my neck from those G forces LOL
Old 05-31-2006 | 01:22 AM

2006 SLK 55
Originally Posted by dsb
Did a little brake-torquing
I'm not familar with this. Can you please elaborate?

Cool story btw.
Old 05-31-2006 | 02:54 PM

2006 SLK55 AMG/// 2006 Porsche CaymanS 2010 135i
Originally Posted by Omnipotent
I'm not familar with this. Can you please elaborate?

Cool story btw.

A technique for quick launching, left foot on brake, right foot on gas, increase RPM's then release brake and mash the gas pedal.....more or less...
Old 05-31-2006 | 03:25 PM

2006 SLK 55
I thought that was it but doesn't that damage something?

By pressing on the brake while putting any amount of pressure on the accelerator, am I not just damaging my braking system? If not, I assume you guys mean that it is just a very light rev that is easily handled by the brakes.

Or do I do this in neutral and then throw it down to D? (wonder if that would screw up the gearbox though).

I'd love to launch my car but am terrified of destroying my 55
Old 05-31-2006 | 03:36 PM

2005 SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by Omnipotent
I thought that was it but doesn't that damage something?

By pressing on the brake while putting any amount of pressure on the accelerator, am I not just damaging my braking system? If not, I assume you guys mean that it is just a very light rev that is easily handled by the brakes.

Or do I do this in neutral and then throw it down to D? (wonder if that would screw up the gearbox though).

I'd love to launch my car but am terrified of destroying my 55
Brake-torquing will NOT harm the brakes, that is what brakes do, they attempt to stop a rotor that is (or want's too) rotate. If you think about it, having a brake hold a stationary rotor that is trying to turn is actually LESS wear than when a brake is trying to stop a rotor that is turning.

What you can harm, if hold it for too long, at too high an RPM is the transmission. You are causing the transmission to slip, which will generate heat, also.

But done occasionally, and done right (held only for the 1-2 seconds to get the rpm up to about 2500, and no higher), then hit it, shouldn't cause any problems.

Last edited by bloflin; 05-31-2006 at 03:38 PM.
Old 05-31-2006 | 03:53 PM

2006 SLK 55
Thanks guys. I'll try this soon.

Trending Topics

Old 05-31-2006 | 08:32 PM

'06 SLK55 AMG, del Sol VTEC
I've done this, but it doesn't seem to accomplish anything more than wheelspin. There's so much torque that just launching without staging up on the brake creates wheelspin. Do you have non-stock tires or an LSD?
Old 06-01-2006 | 01:49 AM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
Originally Posted by lennyr
I've done this, but it doesn't seem to accomplish anything more than wheelspin. There's so much torque that just launching without staging up on the brake creates wheelspin. Do you have non-stock tires or an LSD?
It probably will save .1-.2 off 1/4 mile times. It is much more responsive than simply letting off the brake and then pushing the accelerator.

However, you still need to ease into the pedal. If you simply mash it down, you will break loose.