SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

2007 SLK55 or '07 Boxster S?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 01:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 SLK55 or '07 Boxster S?

That's my dilemma, although a good problem to have.

The Boxster S arguably has the best handling, a 6-speed manual transmission, and the Cayman S 3.4 V6 powerplant that produces 285 hp.
Perhaps the only downside is the now-conservative styling. Although I think it looks better than it ever has, it's a familiar shape that may be too familiar? Three people I know (albeit non-car enthusiasts) all whined, "Don't get a boxxster..."

The SLK55 is like a modern day Cobra in both size and execution, looks great in black, and has a metal hardtop. It's a relatively new model and nobody's going to whine about how many there are. My main reservation is the transmission --why no manual?? Do we drivers get paddle shifters at least? Is the 7-speed automatic enough to keep a car guy entertained?

With regard to spirited driving, I fall more into the autocross spectrum as opposed to the drag-racing crowd. ...Help me choose my next car! Thanks in advance.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AlabasterWhiteSL ObsidianBlackML
I like te SLK55 yet if you dont really care for the convertible aspect...CAYMAN S is simply the best choice...its just as amazing as a 911 around the track just with a lower HP output...and it looks stunning too...but thats just me....but i would def take a SLK55 (which doesnt have paddles but little buttons behind the wheel)over the boxter s...
Old 10-01-2006, 02:30 AM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
'07 does have paddles now.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:34 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
The SLK55 is a hard top convertible.
That alone is amazing, it's two cars in one!
Old 10-01-2006, 06:32 AM

Looking for a new toy.
Originally Posted by vraa
The SLK55 is a hard top convertible.
That alone is amazing, it's two cars in one!
I went through the same decision process a couple months back, but being more of the drag racing type *L*, I went for the SLK55. VRAA is very correct in saying you get two cars for one - hard top coupe, and convertible. I've been very happy with my SLK55 is the short time I've owned it - it's a pleasant, luxurious, quiet ride if you just want to putter around and smell the roses...and then it has this Mr.Hyde side lurking just beneath the surface that is a mere stab of the throttle away. As the RPM's rise. the V8 howls with a wonderful unrestrained growl, the rear tires scrabble for traction, and you are nailed back in your seat with an ear to ear grin pasted across your face as the scenery flashes by! The SLK55 is a seriously quick car - 12 second ET's at over 110mph traps 100% stock are easily attained.

Re the transmission, I too would have preferred a manual (this is my first automatic performance car in years), but the 7 speed auto is a decent piece of machinery. I've gotten use to driving it in full manual mode (the 07's do indeed have shift paddles instead of buttons) and while I still find the shifts a tad slow, it works pretty good.

Go test drive both and see which one suits you best, good luck!

Last edited by FishtailnZ; 10-01-2006 at 06:43 AM.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by awai04

The Boxster S arguably has the best handling, a 6-speed manual transmission, and the Cayman S 3.4 V6 powerplant that produces 285 hp.
Perhaps the only downside is the now-conservative styling. Although I think it looks better than it ever has, it's a familiar shape that may be too familiar? Three people I know (albeit non-car enthusiasts) all whined, "Don't get a boxxster..."

The SLK55 is like a modern day Cobra in both size and execution, looks great in black, and has a metal hardtop. It's a relatively new model and nobody's going to whine about how many there are. My main reservation is the transmission --why no manual?? Do we drivers get paddle shifters at least? Is the 7-speed automatic enough to keep a car guy entertained?

With regard to spirited driving, I fall more into the autocross spectrum as opposed to the drag-racing crowd. ...Help me choose my next car! Thanks in advance.

Even though they are similar in size, they really represent two completely different types of driving experience. If you want a light, agile pure sports car get the boxster or Cayman S and don't look back. If you want something with stunning good looks that's also great for highway and back road cruising, but still has a nasty streak for a few stoplight races and 1-3 track days, get the slk.
There is nothing in the Porsche lineup that looks as cool as that hardtop coming down, but my personal decision has been to get the cayman for the 6-speed and the more extensive track fun. A car like the slk thats 400-500 lbs heavier simply can't offer the same experience, but it will torch the cayman in the 1/4 mile.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:39 AM

SLK 55 AMG
If you want a track like car, you'd be better off with a Lotus Elise or something like that...

The Boxster however is probably the better autocrosser, whilst the SLK simply has gobs of torque and power to propel you forward.

I much prefer the SLK over the Boxster based on things such as looks, comfort and practicality.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:41 AM

12 CLS550, 09 CLS550, 04Cooper,10 Cooper S
Get the SLK55 or a 997 if you really want a porsche. As the above posts state the SLK55 is a very good performer and is absolutely stunning and dripps with passion. Passion that is only experienced by one in a boxsterS.....the driver!

With the onset of the Cayman, the boxsterS has lost a lot of desireability. You can get a low mileage used 977 (05) close to the cost of a brand new 07, nicely equipped boxster S......something to keep in mind if you really want a porsche
Old 10-01-2006, 09:55 AM

I went through the same quandary in 1997 when the first SLK came out and I got the Boxster I have since had two Boxsters, the original and then the S. I have to say I have never driven a car with better steering feel that my Boxsters. When It came to practicality you can't beat the two trunks. I could fit a set of golf clubs in the back and a weekend bag in the front. However, as I got a little older (only 35) and married my wife disliked the firmer ride of the Porsches. There is nothing better than the harmony of the Boxters with the top down on mountain road. And not much worse than being on I95 in the rain with an 18 wheelers passing by with a soft top. If it’s a every day car you can’t beat the hardtop. I haven’t driven the new SLK but it dose look cool. Although I feel a little old diving it, my SL500 is the best all around car and I think the SLK will ride a little better than the Porsches. Good luck and happy hunting!
Old 10-01-2006, 01:57 PM

Thanks again for the intelligent replies.

Yes, I've also considered the new Elise, and do like it. It's pehaps even more focused as a driver's car than both the Porsche and AMG. The bottom line, however, is that the Elise may not work well as the occaisional daily driver.

The 997 is a great car, and even better now that it takes more cues from the air-cooled 993. If I were looking strictly looking into a coupe, then I'd get a black 997s. Though, I live in California, where the sun shines brightly and the air feels good. So, only a convertible will do (for now). The 997 convertible probably drives great but looks funny to me. It's a lot of pocket change, too.

So that brings me back to the Boxster and slk55. That the slk55 has paddles now is encouraging, and definately worth a test drive. How does the slk55 handle --good enough to be amusing?
Old 10-01-2006, 02:25 PM

SLK 55 AMG
There's been multiple reviews of the new Boxsters and Caymans lately, and the general conclusion (especially when they've pitted these cars against things like the new Z4M and Z4M-Coupé), is that the Porsches are much more civil on the road. It's just very easy to take turns quick, the car stays well planted at all times, never goes swivelling about.

And this is what has been the biggest critizism as well, since the Z4M's and so on give the driver a more "ride of their life" experience as you need to stay so much more in control to keep the car from bouncing about.

Same would apply to the SLK. It's not as controllable at some speeds, and the electronics do get in the way of you being able to powerslide around, but having said that, you will need to put all the more effort into keeping the heavier SLK in control when you're really pushing it.

I've been in a few situations where the electronics of the SLK has really saved my butt, yet if I want to, I can bump it down a notch so that it intervenes later, or disactivate it altogether (yes, there is a back-door method for doing so by going through a button combo on the steering wheel) if I want to fling her around a bit.

But when you do fling her around, she will GO, and I mean it will need a good driver to get her back on track.

So to sum it up, whilst a Boxster is a great car (I drove the previous generation S model, and I really think it was a nice car, just not "my" type of car), I would say the Porsches will end up the slightly more boring car over all.

Of course, some will say that having a well planted car that takes corners with minimum effort from the driver is a good thing, but I do like the occasional "surprise" from my car. Maybe I'm just a masochist

Ultimately, I'd say TRY before you BUY. It's very important. Many have made the choice and regretted it later after having driven the "other car" a friend lent them or something like that...

Personally, A Boxster is just too slow for me. I like being able to pump down on the accelerator pedal and seeing my car inch away from many other powerful cars on the highway or down the country lanes
Old 10-01-2006, 02:40 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
How does the slk55 handle --good enough to be amusing?
Absolutely. It might not be as balanced or tossable as the Boxster. However, it's still a driver's car. You won't feel as connected, but it's far from disconnected. Performance wise, the SLK is close for most drivers. Unless your willing to drive your car near it's limits, the SLK is closer to the Boxster than you might think. This is my experience from both driving and tracking against the Boxster.

PS. To be fair, my experience was in driving an '04 Boxster S.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
Slk55

I would never get a Boxster. They are very feminine cars. The SLK55 is much rarer too, not to mention infinitely more powerful. Stops well too with the brake upgrade. Again, if your looking to track, go for the Cayman (or M3 comp pkg, though it sounds like you want a newer model than the M3 can offer) which is much better than the SLK in that regard. However, I encountered a white Cayman heading back from Santa Barbara yesterday and they are found wanting on the highway.

I'm not sure if you want a convertible. If so, 55 no doubt. If not, 996C4S is much better looking than the 997 version.

Good luck
Old 10-03-2006, 01:03 PM

987S
I did a long review comparing the two cars a while ago if its of any interest:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...day+test+drive

I was in the same position as you and had both the new Boxster S and SLK55 on order. The 55 is a great car but the auto box ruined the driving experience for me...... handling wise you can feel the extra weight of the AMG but it still does well.

If you have any concerns about the auto make sure you get a proper test drive on some twisty roads.

The 3.4 Boxster is 295BHP and just as quick as the Cayman S in a straight line...... it handles almost as well but is CHEAPER...... the money you save on the Boxster S can be spent on some good options to help edge closer to the Cayman S. eg. you can add PASM adaptive suspension, Sport Chrono, sports gear shift and steering wheel and still have change left from the basic Cayman S price.

SLK55 is rarer and a stunning car but don't discount the Boxster S until you've driven one (the old 986S is pants compared to the new 987S)

P.S. If you do go for the Boxster you will probably get a bit of "Poor mans Porsche" crap but those people are generally drivers of sad worthless cars who probably haven't even sat in a 911 let alone driven one . I for one have never felt the 911 bug and those that I've driven were not what I think of as great...... I have even told my wife never to let me buy one simply because its seen as the proper Porsche . If they ever give the Cayman some decent power it would wipe the floor with the 911but that ain't going to happen until the 911 ends its life......

Last edited by SLK55AMG; 10-03-2006 at 01:17 PM.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:45 PM

SLK28
from my own personal experience, a 2001 boxters, SUCKS!!! i took care of that car like a baby and that piece of crap would always have a problem.. im not gonna deny that it feels more aggresive than my SLK, but the fact is, i couldnt enjoy driving it after a while in fear of breaking down again.. it was like a freakin domino (effect) once a problem occured.. geeshhhhh... that was a headache..
Old 10-03-2006, 07:06 PM

07 SLK55

I did both. I got the Cayman S in May, kept it for 4 months and switched it for an 07 SLK55. You can't go wrong with both cars. At the end of the day, I wanted the best of both worlds...the open air of a convertible and the sexy looks of a coupe...with all the grunt you need on tap. If Porsche made a hard top convertible, I would have bought that. However, they don't. If you are more of the "autocross spectrum", and prefer the twisties, you will definately find more pleasure in the Boxster S or Cayman S. The Porsches turn on rails and I had a lot of fun in that car. But keep in mind, by the time you add all the Porsche options, you will probably be shelling out more for the Porsche...then again, money may not be your issue.

Good luck, both cars are great...but are totally different.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:10 AM

SLK28
danggg... watta move.. a porsche and a benz? in the same year? how much money did u loose trading in the benz that soon??
Old 10-05-2006, 11:41 AM

'06 SLK55, '00 Porsche Boxster
Had the same decision to make too. Have driven several boxsters and S's, and found them to be great cars. However, the extensive options list propelled the cost way above the slk55 which in Oz comes heavily optioned as a standard. The slk's hard top was also very appealing, as well as the sound of the engine. Also, for the comfort, since I spend a fair chunk of my driving day in traffic, I decided to take the slk.]

Its a good quandry to have - slk55 or boxster S
Old 10-06-2006, 05:14 PM

C43, SLK32, CLK63 Black Series
Watch this video and then decide...

http://benzinsider.com/2006/10/ultim...race-test.html
Old 10-07-2006, 08:20 AM

SLK 55 AMG
Originally Posted by SteveL

As fun as it is watching movie reviews etc... I think it's better to say "test drive them and then decide"
Old 10-07-2006, 01:27 PM

987S
Originally Posted by SteveL

Thats the old Boxster S (the 986) the new version is a totally different ball game and thats whats being discussed here. The 987 3.2 engine Boxster S generally has faster lap times than the AMG so its safe to assume the '07 3.4 version will be evn quicker.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:52 PM

C43, SLK32, CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by SLK55AMG
Thats the old Boxster S (the 986) the new version is a totally different ball game and thats whats being discussed here. The 987 3.2 engine Boxster S generally has faster lap times than the AMG so its safe to assume the '07 3.4 version will be evn quicker.
Not on the track they tested on. It wasn't even close. I doubt that the 987 is that much quicker thatn the 986. It would be interesting to see but on a high speed track like the one in this video, I think the SLK55 would always to pretty well.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:02 PM

OLD: 2004 C230 Sport Sedan, NEW: 2007 SLK350
Get the SLK55, for a great combination of power, comfort and flexiblity.

I test drove an SLK55 in the Spring, and it had paddle shifters in it, so it's been there before the 2007 model came out.

I am getting a 2007 SLK350 myself, but only because I couldn't justify the extra expense for my daily/weekend car. I have about $10,000 worth of options/accessories on it, so it's quite close to a base SLK55 anyway.

If money were no object, I would definitely get the SLK55 AMG, with all the options I want. Other than that, I am content with the 350.

Can't beat the hard-top coupe + roadster in 1 package...
Old 10-11-2006, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cee Fiddy Five
Between SLK350 and new BoxterS...well there is really should be no question...the Porsche.

Between the 55 and the BoxterS...just go test drive it and see what you like. Also see if you will be able to use the clutch everyday without getting bored. With the AMG you just pop that thing into C and cruise!

I personally would get the SLK55...living in Illinios, there aren't many twisties around here...but a helluva lot of straight roads!
Old 10-11-2006, 11:02 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
MercedesFTW,

OT, What is with your signature? Like a child's test, I always try to find the pic that doesn't belong! Are they all the same?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2007 SLK55 or '07 Boxster S?