SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Test drove the 07 SLK 55 AMG today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 11:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Test drove the 07 SLK 55 AMG today

Before decidng between the Boxster S and Slk amg I test drove the Slk 55 amg 2007 version again today

In S mode the car changes gears pretty quickly, say from 5 to 3 at 50 mph etc or 6 to 3 at 60 Mph there is not much delay, faster than I can do in a 6 speed boxster

May be there is new tranny software in the 07 but I did not see any lurching etc and downshifts were pretty fast

I primarily drivie agressively around turns , bends, off ramps and accelearte while merging etc but no auto cross etc

I curently have an M3 SMG, compared to the M3, Slk 55 is more comfortable, lots more torque, better looks and has less body roll around turns than my m3

I have to now make up my mind and see if I have to spend the extra 10 K and get an Slk 55 or get the boxster S

There is no denying that Slk 55 has the much nicer vario roof and I am not sure if I dont auto cross etc if I can appreciate the better handling of the boxster S

The slk 55 car has all the options except the lighting package

My current m3 has no xenons and so I dont think I would miss them.

Owners of slk 55 : 1) Are the Xenons a must? 2) Any rattles in slk 55 over an year use etc 3) anyone chose boxster S over 55
Old 10-21-2006, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G55 & SLK55
Xenon's a must, No rattle's so far
Old 10-21-2006, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
my answers

"Owners of slk 55 : 1) Are the Xenons a must? 2) Any rattles in slk 55 over an year use etc 3) anyone chose boxster S over 55"

1. I really like Xenon's and every since I had it on my first E55 ... I've been addicted to getting them. They are a must for me at least.

2. I had some minor rattling at 1000 miles ... took into service, one day later, no more rattles. Now have more than 14k miles no rattles.

3. Obviously I didn't choose Boxster S over Slk55 but I did look at one. Of course back then it was an older version but I had looked at the Cayman S.

When you said it had all options, did it have the 030 performance option?
Old 10-21-2006, 04:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
SLK 55 R

1) The car did not have the 030 package and the car still was amazing to drive around bends
2) I guess you looked at Cayman and did ya not like it or U preferrred the SLk over the Cayman?

3) I never had Xenons and even my m3 does not have , so It may not matrer to me I guess

My feeling is may be on a Race track or auto cross under extreme driving conditions it is easy to appreciate the better handling of a Porsche but on street roads I could not
Old 10-21-2006, 04:59 PM
Almost a Member!

Black 07 SLK55 Performance Package & Black 06 Lexus GS430
I agree with Jesse, Xenon is a must on a personal rocket. Especially on the SLK it's purplelish white light looks really cool.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:46 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
I like the Xenons, but I can honestly say that once you have it, you can't go back.

If you've never had them, then you might not mind as much.
Old 10-21-2006, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cee Fiddy Five
I like the purple glow around the white light my xenons make but...I don't think they are a *must*...

I drive cars with normal halogens and I don't really notice. *shrug*
Old 10-21-2006, 06:03 PM

Looking for a new toy.
Are Xenon's a must? I wouldn't say a "must", regular halogens work just fine. BUT they are a very very NICE to have *L*. And no rattles on mine...so far *knock on wood*.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:45 PM

'06 SLK55, '00 Porsche Boxster
I decided on the SLK 55 over the Boxster S and the Cayman. I still have my 00 Boxster. I found that in Australia, for the money, the SLK came standard with much more in the way of creature comforts, and better performance than the Boxster S heavily optioned. I found my boxster to have many rattles and squeaks over the years, most of which were fixed at servicing (had to pay additional money though to get them fixed!). Most of the rattles were to do with the roof or windows.
I like the xenons over the normal lights I had with the boxster, as it seemed to have better distance and made the roads look much brighter. I don't think I would go back.
I have had my SLK for about 8wks, and had a minor rattle which were fixed under warranty. I had a rattle in the passenger side speaker when low sounds were played.
The SLK seems much quieter with the roof on than the boxster especially at higher speeds.
I love the SLK and now rarely drive my boxster.
They are both great cars though, so I think its more a case of personal preference.
Old 10-22-2006, 03:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
Personally, the Cayman S is not as great looking as the SLK 55. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:02 AM

SLK 55 AMG
Mine came with Xenons off the lot...

I like 'em, but I don't consider them a must. However, some people seem to judge your purchase on it, and no xenon's would mean you're cheaping out on options.

But that's a big deal considering how much the xenon lights cost. You can always spend that money on something more useful if you so wish.

No rattles on my car btw.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:34 AM

12 CLS550, 09 CLS550, 04Cooper,10 Cooper S
1. xenon's make a huge difference in reducing the strain on your eyes during night time driving. I would never buy a car without them.

2. I have had my 55 for 1 year, 8K miles and have no rattles. Same could not be said for my Z4 after 1 year of ownership.... it sounded like a mouse lived in the roof

3. I ended up chosing the SLK 55 over a cayman S. The only porsche I would have instead of this car would be a 997S, 4S, ....
Old 10-23-2006, 05:11 PM

SLK 55 AMG
Hi mate, like leto I compared the slk 55 to the cayman s, The porsche was loads of fun, certainly not as powerful and really didn't compete in other area's (topdown, cruising, options) I track the car alot in porsche clubs, out there with GT3's, cayman's and plenty of M-class BM's. still after nearly a year I couldn't fault this car. well apart from I once cooked the transmission on the track, but it was 105f's. Bi-xenon's, airscalf a must and no rattles. good luck!
Old 10-24-2006, 11:45 AM

For my driving style the Xenon's are a must. I have 2 homes, one in the city and one in the middle of no where. If only using the SLK55 in the city, it would be fine without xenons as the streets are well lit. However, I love the extra sense of comfort when I do drive the SLK55 at night in the country. Someone hits a deer at least once a week around here. The extra visible distance may make the difference of a deer riding shotgun in my car or me coming to a safe stop before getting to it.

I have a Xenon lights on my driver sense '02. Just purchased a fully loaded '07 SLK55 with everything, arrived in US in August. Only complaints about options is the iPod adapter is extremely buggy and tends to crash my Command unit at least once a week. It is usually fixed by simply cycling the power off/on, but have had to remove the iPod twice. Bluetooth phone adapter is very nice, but do not plan on using it with the top down even at low speed (I did expect this). I did get the 030 performance package mainly because I like the wheels and the larger disc and ceramic brakes - it is a matter of personal taste only, imo.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:59 AM

auto tranny biggest surprise for me

Originally Posted by smjc_99
Before decidng between the Boxster S and Slk amg I test drove the Slk 55 amg 2007 version again today

In S mode the car changes gears pretty quickly, say from 5 to 3 at 50 mph etc or 6 to 3 at 60 Mph there is not much delay, faster than I can do in a 6 speed boxster

May be there is new tranny software in the 07 but I did not see any lurching etc and downshifts were pretty fast

snip
the major downside to my getting the SLK 55 was the automatic transmission
I have driven manuals since I started driving some 40 years ago & really love working a gear box ...I was very concerned about moving to an automatic, but after a spin in the car, I realized that this was not just any automatic
the seven gears are shifted as quickly as I could do with a manual & in S mode the car handles downshifts even better than I could do ...it seems to always downshift into a curve! ...I tend to reserve S mode driving for when I want to get aggressive ...I believe the adaptive nature of the transmission works differently in the 2 modes, though I don't know this for certain
MB engineers really did themselves proud with this transmission
my main disappointment with this otherwise exemplary sports car is the lack of gauges ...I think this could be an easy fix & hope MB gets my message ...I loves to know what the oil pressure/temperature/voltages are doing ...I KNOW this can be had through the computer display ...why doesn't someone write a simple fix that allows for these to be displayed on the center information console between the tach and speedometer?
seems the car is less sporting without such displays, though I realize this is a minor point
Old 10-24-2006, 12:00 PM

For my driving style the Xenon's are a must. I have 2 homes, one in the city and one in the middle of no where. If only using the SLK55 in the city, it would be fine without xenons as the streets are well lit. However, I love the extra sense of comfort when I do drive the SLK55 at night in the country. Someone hits a deer at least once a week around here. The extra visible distance may make the difference of a deer riding shotgun in my car or me coming to a safe stop before getting to it.

I have a Xenon lights on my driver sense '02. Just purchased a fully loaded '07 SLK55 with everything, arrived in US in August. Only complaints about options is the iPod adapter is extremely buggy and tends to crash my Command unit at least once a week. It is usually fixed by simply cycling the power off/on, but have had to remove the iPod twice. Bluetooth phone adapter is very nice, but do not plan on using it with the top down even at low speed (I did expect this). I did get the 030 performance package mainly because I like the wheels and the larger disc and ceramic brakes - it is a matter of personal taste only, imo.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:23 PM

Old 11-04-2006, 11:36 AM

2006 SLK55 AMG/// 2006 Porsche CaymanS 2010 135i
Xenons YES

Rattles NO