SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Removed Resonator on SLK55...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 05:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G55 & SLK55
Hi Guys, Just ordered the Super Sprint Xpipe and hopefully the X pipe will be here in 2-3weeks.

Stay tuned and to owners of SLK55 that were asking for its cost, Its 864.723 USD.

If I like the sound of the X pipe, I am going to order the Super Sprint Mufflers
Hopefully which cost 2,767.11 USD By Late May.

I will post a video later on where I compare the sound of the Stock Setup vs Stock with X pipe.

Thank you in advance
Old 01-07-2007, 06:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK 55 AMG
Originally Posted by alroumi
Hi Guys, Just ordered the Super Sprint Xpipe and hopefully the X pipe will be here in 2-3weeks.

Stay tuned and to owners of SLK55 that were asking for its cost, Its 864.723 USD.

If I like the sound of the X pipe, I am going to order the Super Sprint Mufflers
Hopefully which cost 2,767.11 USD By Late May.

I will post a video later on where I compare the sound of the Stock Setup vs Stock with X pipe.

Thank you in advance

Thank U very much!!!
Old 01-07-2007, 08:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G55 & SLK55
Originally Posted by WiglafSLK55

Thank U very much!!!
No problem, Hopefully I can enjoey the added amount of torque and tunes this small Xpipe produces, If I like it I may get their mufflers.

There headers are more exspensive than Kleemann's and so are their Catalytic converters.

I think Super Sprint is pricey for its Italian Munufacturing etc.

If you dont know, they are the same munafcturer that produces exhaust for Carlsson(Mercedes) and Hamann(BMW,Mini,Lambo,Ferrari,Porsche)
Old 01-07-2007, 09:46 AM
Almost a Member!

2001 CLK55 Conv.-sold, 2003 CLK320 Conv.-sold, 2006 CLK55 AMG Coupe sold, SLK55 AMG Current
uploaded new SLK55 AMG Germany clip1 and clip2 on youtube

Greetings from Germany

After many request and some time on Sunday I did the favor and studied hot to edit and upload a movie.

In this case I chose the public video sharing platform youtube.com
Please click the link below or use the search and type SLK55 AMG Germany
I have uploaded two clips.
1. one is in the garage http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki2g1vahe1E
2. sort of a kick down but not really. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVWsCZfMkr4

Enjoy and please post your comments I really appreciate it.

Best regards,
GG
Old 01-07-2007, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G55 & SLK55
Originally Posted by gerritg
Greetings from Germany

After many request and some time on Sunday I did the favor and studied hot to edit and upload a movie.

2. sort of a kick down but not really. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVWsCZfMkr4

Best regards,

GG
I added you a nice comments on the both video's, Thanks again for the video Alroumi aka MeanMachineQ8

Last edited by alroumi; 01-07-2007 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:50 AM

SLK 55 AMG
Originally Posted by gerritg
Greetings from Germany

Best regards,
GG
Thank you very much for the videos!!!

Very good the sound!! it is a V8 VOICE !!!

Now I would like to hear supersprint exhaust!!

Last edited by WiglafSLK55; 01-07-2007 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G55 & SLK55
Originally Posted by WiglafSLK55
Thank you very much for the videos!!!

Very good the sound!! it is a V8 VOICE !!!

Now I would like to hear supersprint exhaust!!

Hope that the Freakin X pipe arrives early, Hoping for their Mufflers early summer 07
Old 01-07-2007, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G55 & SLK55
I just would like to add one thing, I noticed in gerrits videos that his SLK55 with Resonators removed produces a Valve like Burble at Idle, Ive never heard that on my SLK55's stock exhaust only when aggressivley downshifting from 3-2-1 a couple of times, So addicted to gerrits SLK's vocals gonna hear it again.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
just me?

But after hearing the clips ... I'm not a big fan.

Hopefully the xpipes from supersprint will sound better. I'm seriously considering this modification but with the supercharger I'm sure it would be even louder.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
Jesse, i can order you one if you want. Its special order between 3-4 weeks.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
heh

I know you can Adam ... I just want to see how it sounds from another members experience first.

My car is already pretty loud and mean sounding so I don't want to go TOO extreme.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G55 & SLK55
Here as an image I uploaded to show the members/viewers the X pipe in place.

Pics are from the SLK350 Super Sprint Whole Exhaust system including headers.

The X pipe is between the Mufflers and the Catalytic Converters, I hope this helps explain it.

Old 05-06-2007, 09:48 PM

slk55 2005; e320 2004 sport
Bump,

has anyone compared the x-pipe SS and simply cutting the resonators?
Old 05-07-2007, 04:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G55 & SLK55
Here are my vid's Kleemann 200 cell Primary cats and SuperSprint X pipe

http://youtube.com/results?search_query=MeanMachineQ8

3 vids
Old 05-07-2007, 12:09 PM

Just DO it NOW!

Ok AMG boys and girls! I have not posted many items because I just can't stop driving the H**L out of my car, but I just had to chime in and say JUST DO IT! Remove that resonator now. The sound is much like a Harley low growl and wicked high end scream when you get on it. I was worried about the highway driving at 80-100mph being to loud, but again it’s just PUUUURRRfect low rumble. Driving in a city I have people turning heads looking amazed all the time when I get on it in the streets. Could be more happier when you race a leak sounding BMW or Porsche. But I admit racing a new ZO6 they sound almost the same when you jump on it. Great Fun. Cheers from the Buddha
Attached Thumbnails Removed Resonator on SLK55...-r_01amg.jpg   Removed Resonator on SLK55...-r_02amg.jpg   Removed Resonator on SLK55...-r_03amg.jpg  
Old 05-07-2007, 01:36 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
Originally Posted by BUDDHAAMG
Ok AMG boys and girls! I have not posted many items because I just can't stop driving the H**L out of my car, but I just had to chime in and say JUST DO IT! Remove that resonator now. The sound is much like a Harley low growl and wicked high end scream when you get on it. I was worried about the highway driving at 80-100mph being to loud, but again it’s just PUUUURRRfect low rumble. Driving in a city I have people turning heads looking amazed all the time when I get on it in the streets. Could be more happier when you race a leak sounding BMW or Porsche. But I admit racing a new ZO6 they sound almost the same when you jump on it. Great Fun. Cheers from the Buddha
Awesome. Thanks for the pics. Get us a sound clip now.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lotus Elise SLK55
Originally Posted by dsb
Awesome. Thanks for the pics. Get us a sound clip now.
I agree, another sound clip would be great. BUDDHAAMG, please take a short break from driving the HELL out of your car and get us a sound clip or a video ASAP!
Old 05-11-2007, 07:55 PM
Almost a Member!

06' SLK55 w/030 pack
Talking removal

For you fellas that removed the resonator, have you experienced an increase in the "butt" dyno for midrange or just more noise and no increased punch?
Old 05-12-2007, 03:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G55 & SLK55
Originally Posted by oldman55
For you fellas that removed the resonator, have you experienced an increase in the "butt" dyno for midrange or just more noise and no increased punch?
Yeah, I noticed a bit of an increase at the low to midrange torque where the car feels very punchier and quicker after the Kleemann 200 cell 3" sport primary catalytics and the Super Sprint X pipe.

If you could look at the replies above you will find a link that takes you to youtube so that you could watch the video's of my car with the Exhaust.
Old 05-12-2007, 05:21 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by AdamG@EuroElites
Jesse, i can order you one if you want. Its special order between 3-4 weeks.
Adam: do you have a SuperSprint #843103 (ML55 resonator replacement) available and if so, please PM me the price delivered to Virginia.

Thanks.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65
Maybe I'm wierd, but I find myself drivng my SLK55 very mildly because I think the exhaust is loud. Rarely do I get above 3k RPM. I've always hated loud cars for some reason, seems people make them loud and obnoxios for the sake of being loud and obnoxios because the vast majority aren't even quick enough to justify the noise. Fart can civics and super loud pickup trucks. When they run down the street in thier slow noisemobiles I just shake my head. I guess I don't want to make noise and be associated with them. It's a wierd mental block because I accelerate quickly in my E55 all the time, the catch is the E55 does it without making a sound so I don't care. The SLK I'm always self conscious about with it's loud exhaust. Anyone have any tips to get over that? If you have a quick car you're allowed to make noise, but I can't seem to seperate the two regardless. Until then I'll just putt around in it I guess.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:17 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
Offset the loud exhaust with some loud music. That way you're total obnoxious.

Seriously, though. The SLK55 exhaust is louder than most stock cars but I don't mind it one bit. To your point, I find civics, pickups, and Harley's much more offensive.

Finally, even at WOT, the SLK sounds good whereas some of these other cars sound like **** turned up to 11. Don't let it get to you.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Lotus Elise SLK55
Originally Posted by bfnnrgn
Maybe I'm wierd, but I find myself drivng my SLK55 very mildly because I think the exhaust is loud. Rarely do I get above 3k RPM. I've always hated loud cars for some reason, seems people make them loud and obnoxios for the sake of being loud and obnoxios because the vast majority aren't even quick enough to justify the noise. Fart can civics and super loud pickup trucks. When they run down the street in thier slow noisemobiles I just shake my head. I guess I don't want to make noise and be associated with them. It's a wierd mental block because I accelerate quickly in my E55 all the time, the catch is the E55 does it without making a sound so I don't care. The SLK I'm always self conscious about with it's loud exhaust. Anyone have any tips to get over that? If you have a quick car you're allowed to make noise, but I can't seem to seperate the two regardless. Until then I'll just putt around in it I guess.
You're definitely worrying about the noise too much. Even without your resonators, your SLK55 is nowhere near as loud as most exotic sport cars. If the car sounds great, most people wouldn't mind the noise. If you heard a Ferrari F430 or Porsche Carrera GT accelerating at 9k RPM's, which is louder than any fart canned civic, would you personally have a problem with that? I think not. My turbocharged lotus elise w/ 3'' straight pipe was at least 115db's at full thorttle, and all I got was compliments on how cool it sounded. You have a serious sports car, people expect it to be loud. If you feel self conscious about the loudness of your SLK55, then how do you expect to move on to even higher performance cars which are much louder? You're never going to buy a ferrari or a lambo just because its loud?

P.S. In addition, never going higher than 3k rpm is bad for your engine.

Last edited by Addicted2Speed; 05-13-2007 at 12:49 AM.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65
I understand what you're saying. I have been blessed, or cursed depending on how you want to look at it, with extra sensative hearing. It makes things sound a lot louder to me than others and I can also pick up on tones most people cannot. Unfortunatly these extra noises all seem to come in the form of squeeks and other annoying noises generated by car interiors. I can't get them fixed as no one else can hear them, so I have to learn to live with them.

Considering all that hearing something like a Ferrari go by would probably be sweet music, I hope. I've never heard one. Then again it might drive me nuts. There's a C5 Z06 around and I swear that thing is so loud I can literally hear it a mile away. Even at idle it sounds louder than most cars at WOT. Very obnoxious to me to the point where I can get a headache from being around it too much.

Speaking is also kind of a challenge. To others they think I'm talking too quietly though to me it sounds normal. I have to speak so that to me it sounds like I'm yelling at them but to everyone else it's normal.

That should give you an idea of where I'm coming from on the exhaust issue.

Originally Posted by Addicted2Speed
You're definitely worrying about the noise too much. Even without your resonators, your SLK55 is nowhere near as loud as most exotic sport cars. If the car sounds great, most people wouldn't mind the noise. If you heard a Ferrari F430 or Porsche Carrera GT accelerating at 9k RPM's, which is louder than any fart canned civic, would you personally have a problem with that? I think not. My turbocharged lotus elise w/ 3'' straight pipe was at least 115db's at full thorttle, and all I got was compliments on how cool it sounded. You have a serious sports car, people expect it to be loud. If you feel self conscious about the loudness of your SLK55, then how do you expect to move on to even higher performance cars which are much louder? You're never going to buy a ferrari or a lambo just because its loud?

P.S. In addition, never going higher than 3k rpm is bad for your engine.

Last edited by bfnnrgn; 05-13-2007 at 03:31 PM.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Lotus Elise SLK55
Yeah, it definitely sounds like you have extra sensitive hearing. If the sound bothers you too much, try using ear plugs. I gaarantee you that people around you aren't bothered by it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Removed Resonator on SLK55...