SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Two questions regarding launching and gear changing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 03:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Read sig
Two questions regarding launching and gear changing

1. What is a good way to launch the car and maintain a good 0-60? meaning without traction being a problem and preventing the car from spinning out too long.

2. Whenever I shift in Manual mode, the car sometimes does a long pause while I am changing gears. Note that this only happens when I am redlining the car from 1st to 3rd gear. Can the transmission not take all the power? Or is it just my SLK55? While it's pausing during the gear changing, the letter M by drive just turns into a ^ then shows the next gear. Is there anyway I can fix this to make it just change into the next gear smoothly? Sorry if this topic has been discussed before.

Would appreciate any help or suggestions, Thanks!
Old 12-24-2006, 09:42 AM

Looking for a new toy.
1. I've found I've gotten the best launches on the stock Pirelli's (track proven) using the following technique: ESP "off", transmission in "S", quickly to half throttle (not instantaneously and don't floor it right away) til the car is moving, then quickly rest of the way to WOT. Not a great explanation I know, but the key is to give the car time to hook up and not going WOT too soon, or too quickly - if that makes sense *L*.

2. A lot of people have commented on (and I find it to be true myself) that WOT shifts in M mode are really not all that quick. It's very easy to hit the rev limiter as there seems to be a lot of lag from the time you request a gear change to the time it actually happens. Seems to be normal, this is not a true manual after all, and so is something we have to live with. That]s why at the track I use "S" mode, too easy to hit that damn limiter in "M".

Last edited by FishtailnZ; 12-24-2006 at 09:44 AM.
Old 12-24-2006, 02:49 PM

Read sig
Thanks for the reply! Glad to see that there is actually somebody useful in this section.
Old 12-24-2006, 03:25 PM

Looking for a new toy.
Oh there's lot of knowledgeable folks here, but being Christmas Eve not many are online. I have an excuse there...I'm at work *L*.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL65, E55T, Pending S65
Sounds about right..... Remember, even in M mode it is still an automatic trans. If you wait until the redline, you will hit the rev limiter every time.

I have found in my AMG's that the quickest way to shift is in S mode and then I manually down shift. This produces perfect upshifts every time.

The only exception to this is on the race track when I may want to hold the gear close to redline.

The new E63 and CLS63 has a program that when in M mode it has a red shift light that tells you when to shift for a perfect shift. Works very well at night, in the day it is a bit hard to see.

Cheers!
Old 12-27-2006, 06:09 PM

Looking for a new toy.
Originally Posted by Schiznick
...The new E63 and CLS63 has a program that when in M mode it has a red shift light that tells you when to shift for a perfect shift...
Now THAT would be a nice feature to have for sure!
Old 12-29-2006, 11:59 AM

2006 SLK55 AMG/// 2006 Porsche CaymanS 2010 135i
Originally Posted by FishtailnZ
1. I've found I've gotten the best launches on the stock Pirelli's (track proven) using the following technique: ESP "off", transmission in "S", quickly to half throttle (not instantaneously and don't floor it right away) til the car is moving, then quickly rest of the way to WOT. Not a great explanation I know, but the key is to give the car time to hook up and not going WOT too soon, or too quickly - if that makes sense *L*.

2. A lot of people have commented on (and I find it to be true myself) that WOT shifts in M mode are really not all that quick. It's very easy to hit the rev limiter as there seems to be a lot of lag from the time you request a gear change to the time it actually happens. Seems to be normal, this is not a true manual after all, and so is something we have to live with. That]s why at the track I use "S" mode, too easy to hit that damn limiter in "M".
my $.02
1. I would only add that a litttle brake torque with ESP off and the tranny in S will provide a good launch.

2. S mode does shift quicker (at least in my car) than m mode when using the paddles, or lever.