SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Ls7 Slk???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 03:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK 55 AMG
Originally Posted by pas
If you are going to go through the trouble of putting an LS7 motor in the SLK please don't put it in stock. Put some twin turbos, or nitrous, or cams and exhaust or all of the above. If you are going to do it why not have a 1000hp SLK!
True... might as well go all the way. But that would surely be a project car over a relatively long period of time.

Anyway, about ECU programming. If you're going to put the LS7 in there, then go speak with Corvette people and perhaps the 'reputable' corvette tuner shops in your area (or beyond).

I highly doubt anyone from MB is going to help you tune your V12, and in regards to anyone else with the know how to do this, I think it would definitely need some major know-how, the kind that only Kleemann, Renntech or Brabus would have.

Why not get in contact with a US division from one of those companies, and explain your case to them. You've got an MB V12 bi-turbo engine and an SLK. You want to drop the engine in the car and you need them to help you tune it for the right power (or something).

The reason I say this, is that most modern ECU's are most likely pretty complex and contain some proprietary code. Admittedly, it may be that a company like Bosch is the one that builds these ECU's, but in the end, each company will add their own micro-code that helps them run correctly in their cars. The only people who would have an understanding similar to MB about what goes on inside those ECU's, is a company like K, R or B (as I mentioned above).

I have a hunch that the sponsors might have a hard time catering to very specific needs like yours.

The only company I know that does engine swaps in MB's is Brabus. They definitely have the know-how to do something like this. They've added 450hp V8's into the old model SLK (which has even less engine space then the new one), and a swap like that definitely would have required some tinkering...
Old 01-30-2007, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cool

Originally Posted by SLKV12TT
As for the SLK v Enzo: I've been in the Enzo at full throttle to maximum RPM and I can tell you that Enzo was NOT being driven to its potential. Not even close. While I'm going to build a killer SLK I'm not unrealistic. That SLK is not faster than a properly driven Enzo.

Watch the video, The Enzo is trying his heart out.
Anyways, as far as your project goes, why an SLK, You want to go fast? Go get a noble and drop that LS7 in it. That would make much more sense. Its Lighter and a much better handling car.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:27 AM

SL600 190SL
Thanks Shinigai. You're right on the money. There are a few guys out there who reprogram the Bosch units now I have to find someone who can do it for Merc (typically they do Porsche, etc.).

Brabus seems like a good bet given their swapping history.

LS7 is comparatively easy given the existing stand alone systems.

Why the SLK? It is the best built, most compact package out there. Small volume manufacturers simply can't design/build a car like a multi-billion dollar company like Daimler-Chrysler. The SLK is a little jewel. With a twin turbo v12 it would kick the SLR's ****. By the way, IMO, the SLR doesn't sound as nice as a V8 Mustang. Exotic cars should, well, sound exotic! Ferrari or Lamborghini V12, Ferrari flat crank V8, BMW V10, etc.

V12 SLK would be the ultimate Merc not built by Merc.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Thanks Shinigai. You're right on the money. There are a few guys out there who reprogram the Bosch units now I have to find someone who can do it for Merc (typically they do Porsche, etc.).

Brabus seems like a good bet given their swapping history.

LS7 is comparatively easy given the existing stand alone systems.

Why the SLK? It is the best built, most compact package out there. Small volume manufacturers simply can't design/build a car like a multi-billion dollar company like Daimler-Chrysler. The SLK is a little jewel. With a twin turbo v12 it would kick the SLR's ****. By the way, IMO, the SLR doesn't sound as nice as a V8 Mustang. Exotic cars should, well, sound exotic! Ferrari or Lamborghini V12, Ferrari flat crank V8, BMW V10, etc.

V12 SLK would be the ultimate Merc not built by Merc.

cayman w/ a ls7

why compromise

if youre not using a mb engine might as well go all out

and a p is better built
Old 01-31-2007, 08:12 AM

2001 Kleemann CLK 230K, 2006 CLS 350, GTR R35
Originally Posted by Blue_Monster
Watch the video, The Enzo is trying his heart out.
Anyways, as far as your project goes, why an SLK, You want to go fast? Go get a noble and drop that LS7 in it. That would make much more sense. Its Lighter and a much better handling car.

personally I think that video is like James May(top gear) in the Enzo vs Michael Schumacher in the SLK. just my 0.02$
Old 01-31-2007, 03:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Acez
personally I think that video is like James May(top gear) in the Enzo vs Michael Schumacher in the SLK. just my 0.02$
Agreed, But the ****in guys are just going straight, no turns nothing, and the slk without question, pulled a lot on that enzo, Think about it, SLK with 617 horsepower the enzo is in for a beating.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by Blue_Monster
Agreed, But the ****in guys are just going straight, no turns nothing, and the slk without question, pulled a lot on that enzo, Think about it, SLK with 617 horsepower the enzo is in for a beating.
that slk needs more than 617 to beat a lighter car (im pretty sure it is) w/ 660hp

if anything that slk is pushing more hp than an slr
Old 01-31-2007, 08:07 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Originally Posted by AMG_55
that slk needs more than 617 to beat a lighter car (im pretty sure it is) w/ 660hp

Actually, that is not the case due to its gearing. A stock SLK55 is heavier than a C6 Vette & develops 10% less Hp & 6% less torque, yet is just as fast or faster than a MN6 C6 in the 1/4 Mile (~ 12.7 - 12.8 sec trapping ~ 111 mph).
I'm using the above example for illustration purposes & a reference point. FWIW, torque can carry extra weight & my car (as a reference since I don't have an SLR dyno handy ) has more grunt at the rear wheels than an Enzo has at the flywheel (so any 400 lbs weight differential is not going to matter).

The SLK55 weighs ~400lbs lbs less than an SLR (which traps ~ 127 mph & runs ~ 11.5 sec 1/4 mile). You give an SLK "SLR power", 400lbs less weight (than the SLR), and its 7 Spd tranny - its going to be pretty sprite. My car loses traction below 80 mph. Its actually a pretty stout straight line performer (but it needs drag radials ).

-Matt
Old 02-01-2007, 05:50 AM

SL600 190SL
Will someone post dyno sheets for these Kleeman SLK55 cars? What boost are they running?
The AMG handbuilt SL55 motor makes "only" 510 hp at the flyweel and runs 9:1 compression ratio (to handle the boosted application) and a rather high for street boost of nearly 12 psi or 0.8 Bar. The SLK55 has a rather high 11:1 compression ratio. Now, for hp to go from 360 to a claimed 600 theoretical boost would have to be, in best case scenario, best would have to be around 0.7 Bar or over 10 pounds of boost. What? On race gas? Maybe I'm missing something, but how do you run an 11:1 motor with 10 PSI of boost on pump gas and expect it to be durable? I'm thinking the Enzo show it's tail to a Kleeman SLK.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:04 AM

SLK 55 AMG
Kleemann explains the boost numbers on their website. Their system actually doesn't need all that much, but who knows.

There's a few links on their website which explains this: http://www.kleemann.dk/site/Main/per...cts/kompressor
http://www.kleemann.dk/site/567EE3BB..._name=newsitem
http://www.kleemann.dk/site/Main/eng...ogrammes/amgv8
http://www.kleemann.dk/site/Main/faq

Last edited by Shinigami; 02-01-2007 at 06:10 AM.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:12 AM

SLK 55 AMG
Your best bet is to just contact them and talk it through. I don't think anyone on this forum can give you any concrete numbers and technical data like the Kleemann technicians themselves could.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:57 AM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Will someone post dyno sheets for these Kleeman SLK55 cars? What boost are they running?
The AMG handbuilt SL55 motor makes "only" 510 hp at the flyweel and runs 9:1 compression ratio (to handle the boosted application) and a rather high for street boost of nearly 12 psi or 0.8 Bar. The SLK55 has a rather high 11:1 compression ratio. Now, for hp to go from 360 to a claimed 600 theoretical boost would have to be, in best case scenario, best would have to be around 0.7 Bar or over 10 pounds of boost. What? On race gas? Maybe I'm missing something, but how do you run an 11:1 motor with 10 PSI of boost on pump gas and expect it to be durable? I'm thinking the Enzo show it's tail to a Kleeman SLK.
Std boost for an SLK55 with a Kleemann blower is 7 lbs (.5 bar) which with the other mods gives you about 550 Hp (unless you run race gas & have it tuned as such....I run 100 octane). I've already posted my dyno on this forum - do a search (or check my sig). I've also been driving my car for 14 months now - ZERO reliability issues (you might read up about Kleemann's patented blower technology - its an improvement over the MB unit & has increased cooling pumps to run cooler & extend longetivity).

-Matt
Old 02-01-2007, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AMG_55

The SLR motor has waaaayyy more torque, that will more than make up for it.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:42 PM

SLK 55 AMG
Yup, the SLR has a lot of torque (780nm versus 770 on the Kleemann SLK) and also 626hp (versus the 596 on the Kleemann SLK), which means it's quite a beast. BUT, the SLR weighs nearly a half a ton more...

As the guy from dubai who did the SLR engine swap into the SLK said, he chose the SLK as it was a very good drive, and lighter then the SLR. He also said that the SLR engine added quite a bit of weight on the car, meaning he had to change the front springs to something a little sturdier to keep the front of the car up.

But anyway, with 780nm of torque and 626ponies in a car which is much lighter then SLR (and I think the guy from dubai said they tinkered around with the engine to raise the power still a little more then the default numbers), the SLR was able to perfrom very well against the Enzo from a rolling start. And this is what makes a big difference! Whilst the Enzo has quite a bit less torque and better (Wider?) tyres then the SLK, this was not a 0-60 challenge but a rolling start run. With this kind of a run, the SLK had a very good chance and I don't think it was staged in anyway.

A stock SLR is already a very fast car, nearly as fast as an Enzo, and with this engine in a lighter shell (and possibly tuned up a bit), what's there to scratch ones head about? I mean, throw in a 1000hp engine in a 500kilo car and it'll outrun a Veyron (possibly).

Anyway... what were we talking about again ?
Old 02-03-2007, 04:34 PM

Yellow R1, FYI, I have a lightweight Euro 308 QV that had its rear frame removed and replaced with the rear frame, suspension and drivetrain from a Ferrari 355. On scales she weighs just under 2600 pounds. Chipped and tubi give about 410 hp at 8500 RPMs. The Ferrari is having a twin turbo system installed which will blow 6 PSI and be good for about 550 hp. Finishing up a (now) 2650 pound BMW Z1. Installing the LS7 motor with about 520 hp. My 993 cabriolet has a twin turbo motor built by David at Proto Tech. Blackhorse motors is building my series 1 XKE roadster with an XJR aluminum/4 valve/supercharged Jaguar motor and five speed manual transmission. My daily driver is currently a Ferrari 512TR.

Notwithstanding the foregoing, I will install either the V12TT or the LS7 in the SLK. If AMG builds the SLK63 I will not drop in the LS7. But that remains to be seen.

BACK ON POINT: Any help here would be appreciated, particularly with computer programming.
Iv'e been a lurker here for a while and I decided to join.

I have been reading about your "cars" and quite frankly the numbers don't add up. Please tell me how you are adding a heavier set-up (355) on a car that weighs 3200 plus lbs and dropping 700 lbs of weight?

If you do own these cars please show us some pictures of the swap of the 308/355 and while you are at it show us some pictures of your other cars, other peoples cars don't count. Why do I think you will come up with an excuse?
Old 02-03-2007, 10:47 PM

SL600 190SL
Fountain, you must be kidding? A bone stuck Euro spec 308 QV weighs around 2950 lbs. The 358 rear frame, suspension and drivetrain weighs less than the 308. Remove your front headlamp buckets, motors, etc, install aluminum radiator, aluminum brake hats and lightweight rotors with aluminum brake calipers, lightweight battery, remove unnecessary bits and pieces (including spare tire, windshield washer resevoir, tools etc.)

On Lakewood scales (one under each tire) she weighs 2600 pounds. Turbos will add weight but their sound absorption will eliminate need for the heavy Tubi.

This car has been discussed and photos are at Ferrarichat.com

The Z1 will be done soon enough and frankly, you can read about it in the Magazines (BMW) when it's finished.

My present cars:
1992 Ferrari 512TR
1995 Porsche 993 Proto Tech Twin Turbo Cabriolet
1971 Ferrari Daytona Spider (aluminum recreation, needing completion)
1984 Ferrari 288GTO on 308 body (awaiting install of Ferrari 360 motor)
1964 Jaguar XKE series I Roadster w/ XJR straight aluminum L6supercharged (installing Garrett turbo in place of SC)
1991 BMW Z1 (Magic Violet, LS7 install in progress, 380mm AP Racing discs, 8 Piston Brembos, 19" Hamann PG3, T56 six speed, Koni struts, QA1 aluminum rear shocks, Z3 M differential and axles, M3 trailing arms, M3 Struts, H&R springs, aluminum radiator, SPAL fains, custom sway bars, Powerflex bushings, etc etc:
Old 02-04-2007, 02:15 AM

Fountain, you must be kidding? A bone stuck Euro spec 308 QV weighs around 2950 lbs. The 358 rear frame, suspension and drivetrain weighs less than the 308. Remove your front headlamp buckets, motors, etc, install aluminum radiator, aluminum brake hats and lightweight rotors with aluminum brake calipers, lightweight battery, remove unnecessary bits and pieces (including spare tire, windshield washer resevoir, tools etc.)

On Lakewood scales (one under each tire) she weighs 2600 pounds. Turbos will add weight but their sound absorption will eliminate need for the heavy Tubi.

The Euro weighs 2956 to be exact. The transmission in the 355 weighs less, but not by much. There is no way with the weight reduction you claim there would be a 356 lbs drop.
Show us the print out on the scales.

The Z1 will be done soon enough and frankly, you can read about it in the Magazines (BMW) when it's finished.

My present cars:
1992 Ferrari 512TR
1995 Porsche 993 Proto Tech Twin Turbo Cabriolet
1971 Ferrari Daytona Spider (aluminum recreation, needing completion)
1984 Ferrari 288GTO on 308 body (awaiting install of Ferrari 360 motor)
1964 Jaguar XKE series I Roadster w/ XJR straight aluminum L6supercharged (installing Garrett turbo in place of SC)
1991 BMW Z1 (Magic Violet, LS7 install in progress, 380mm AP Racing discs, 8 Piston Brembos, 19" Hamann PG3, T56 six speed, Koni struts, QA1 aluminum rear shocks, Z3 M differential and axles, M3 trailing arms, M3 Struts, H&R springs, aluminum radiator, SPAL fains, custom sway bars, Powerflex bushings, etc etc:
Why is it you keep posting all this but you have yet to post pictures of the swap and all the cars you say you have? LET'S SEE YOU'RE FERRARIS IN YOUR REPLYS!

Oh Tristram...310-2X7-XX2X
Old 02-04-2007, 10:23 AM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
Why not simply post some pics or at least a link directly to the thread? I don't want to hunt it down. Just show us. Easy enough.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:48 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29
Old 02-05-2007, 12:57 AM

SL600 190SL
Here's a link to a thread started by someone else when they saw the car during the early stages of the install. Prior to dropping it off for the twin turbo install I was driving it every day.

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthr...&highlight=358

Tell ya what Fountain, if, even with the twin turbo, intercooler, etc additional weight, I'll bet you she's still under 2800 pounds. Want to race for pinks and put money where one's mouth is?
Old 02-05-2007, 01:00 AM

SL600 190SL
My daily driver.
Attached Thumbnails Ls7 Slk???-dscn0768.jpg  
Old 02-05-2007, 02:17 AM

Looking for a new toy.
Here's a link to a thread started by someone else when they saw the car during the early stages of the install. Prior to dropping it off for the twin turbo install I was driving it every day.

Why post a thread started by someone else? Surely, since you come on here and ask your own questions about various engine swaps, you would post your own questions over there on a similarly complicated project? Just curious...

P.S. what username do you go by on FerrariChat?
Old 02-05-2007, 03:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G55 & SLK55
Originally Posted by Shinigami
Yup, the SLR has a lot of torque (780nm versus 770 on the Kleemann SLK) and also 626hp (versus the 596 on the Kleemann SLK), which means it's quite a beast. BUT, the SLR weighs nearly a half a ton more...

As the guy from dubai who did the SLR engine swap into the SLK said, he chose the SLK as it was a very good drive, and lighter then the SLR. He also said that the SLR engine added quite a bit of weight on the car, meaning he had to change the front springs to something a little sturdier to keep the front of the car up.

But anyway, with 780nm of torque and 626ponies in a car which is much lighter then SLR (and I think the guy from dubai said they tinkered around with the engine to raise the power still a little more then the default numbers), the SLR was able to perfrom very well against the Enzo from a rolling start. And this is what makes a big difference! Whilst the Enzo has quite a bit less torque and better (Wider?) tyres then the SLK, this was not a 0-60 challenge but a rolling start run. With this kind of a run, the SLK had a very good chance and I don't think it was staged in anyway.

A stock SLR is already a very fast car, nearly as fast as an Enzo, and with this engine in a lighter shell (and possibly tuned up a bit), what's there to scratch ones head about? I mean, throw in a 1000hp engine in a 500kilo car and it'll outrun a Veyron (possibly).

Anyway... what were we talking about again ?
If you get the SLR motor in the SLK you can tune it beyond the SLK motor, go to mkb and get the 800horsepower upgrade.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:53 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55

Tell ya what Fountain, if, even with the twin turbo, intercooler, etc additional weight, I'll bet you she's still under 2800 pounds. Want to race for pinks and put money where one's mouth is?
Do you typicaly challenge people to run for "pinks" when you don't even know what they drive? Last time I SAW Fountain's car in VA (~2 yrs ago?), it was a HIGHLY modified red 3rd Generation RX-7 with over 500 rwhp on pump gas. You better strap a JATO to your project car - his car was significantly nastier than either of my current toys & that was 2 yrs ago. I know he has built & ported over 1,000 rotary engines for ~25 yrs (he ported mine).

Still, nobody knows or has met you, has seen any of your cars, you leave your profile blank, and post 2 yr old cryptic posts from Ferrarrichat. It appears you don't even own an SLK55 (or any Mercedes) yet supposedly bought a V12TT powerplant...then start talking about putting an LS7 into an SLK55? WHO would buy a V12TT without even owning an SLK55, then start vascilating on whether to buy & install an LS7 instead?

Maybe you can take a pic of your SWAP & post it so we can see your craftsmanship.

-Matt
Old 02-05-2007, 10:55 PM

2800 lbs isn't under 2600 lbs. Thanks for making my point and changing positions.

Now you want to race me in the "said 308/355" swap car? Having ego issues? This conversation has nothing to do with how fast the car is or isn't but... Sure! You don't even know what I own. I'll take that thing from you, quick! I'll be waiting for your pm!

R1, I have something far faster than the Mazda.

Last edited by Fountain; 02-06-2007 at 01:59 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ls7 Slk???