SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Ls7 Slk???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 08:24 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 SLK55, 04 SL55
How do you plan on actually integrating this with the car? i mean even if you make the structural mods necessary to install the engine and tranny and bolt the things up thats hardly a complete job.

Fair enough it might have its own ECU but then so does every engine out there do you plan on ripping out just about every electrical system in the car because know you will face an impossible task trying to get MB electronics to work the nature of the cars computer system means you can't just cut parts out.

I understand in a track car having AC is not so important but its still nice and i suppose neither is traction control but everything that sits on CAN-C will be rendered useless and so will a lot of CAN-B you going to need to rip out the ignition and start over because you will have removed part of the DAS3 its going to be a case of stripping the car to a shell and building back up from scratch with a whole new system.

If you go ahead with this then good on ya its an awesome project but its gonna be happening right about the time that you can board a pig and go for a flight.

Why don't you just speak to a tuner with experience i am sure they will have a solution for you or if they don't have something at the moment would be more than happy to suss something out for ya.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:32 AM

SLK 55 AMG
No, 540hp is not the number mentioned by Kleemann. It's been mentioned everywhere that a full Kleemann kit will give the SLK 55 AMG 596hp...

Still, of course that's not the same as the Enzo's 650hp, but torque numbers are much higher (about 650nm on the Enzo, versus 770nm on the Kleemann).

Also, one could say that the 7G gearbox is geared in such a manner that it helps the car reach certain speeds very quickly. People have been doing gearbox changes for a long time with varying results.

For example, Honda S2000 owners are swapping their gears from 4.44's to 4.77's, and they're able to remove several tenths of a second off their 0-60mph times.

I think we all agree that small contact patch of the SLK is not helping it one little bit, but that too can be corrected. An LSD install cuts down 0-60 times by 0.3 seconds according to Kleemann (Brabus also offers an LSD, but I don't know how much better the 0-60 times are with them), and one can also install wider tires.

But in any case, I think you've kinda made up your mind about going forward with the LS7 install, so you don't need to convince us in any way or manner, just do it and have fun.

p.s. I don't quite agree with you saying that the SLK engine was not made to be boosted... It's practically the same as the other supercharged 55 engines. The lump is supposedly the same, and I know Kleemann can do some changes such as changing springs, valves and camshafts for stronger ones. I don't know what the exact change between an atmospheric 55 engine is versus a kompressor equipped one (apart from the fact that it has a kompressor of course), but I've read several times that the change is not all that different. Even the SLR engine is very, very similar to the SLK engine. They're all based off the 5 liter MB engine, but bored out and fitted with different pistons. Of course, a full Kleemann installation pumps out up to 770nm of torque, and standard 55's with Kompressors only do something like 650. I think it's the torque which is more likely to cause trouble, and not just in the engine but also in the gearbox and down the axles. But having said that, I'm no engineer so it's all speculation on my part
Old 01-19-2007, 04:51 PM

SL600 190SL
Excellent points DansSlk. The hard part will not be fitting the physically smaller LS7 motor to the SLK or getting it to run with its stand-alone computer. Integration is the pain. On my Ferrari they basically ran two systems: one Bosch system to run the engine managmenet the other for the car's functions and integrated the systems only where necessary. Same should apply here.

The Enzo, with it's "lower torque" rating has difficulty putting its power down despite massive 345mm rear tires and something nearing 60% of its entire weight on the rear two tires. Ain't no way an SLK is as fast as an enzo. (Even with my project I plan on widening the rear wheel arches to accomodate 355/19 rears but I know my car will not be faster than an Enzo.)

IMO, if I was Kleeman and my SLK was that fast, I'd arrange for a magazine test with the SLK and a sourced Enzo. It's not that hard to do. The proof is in the pudding, not the advertisers caims.

Anyone from Road & Track out there to arrange for a road test?

While the basic architecture of the SLK may be the same as the other Merc V8s, its the internals you have to worry about. I highly doubt Merc uses the same pistons, same rings, same bearings, save valves, same valve springs, same headgaskets, same rods, etc etc in the SLK as they do in the SLR. Basic block and heads may be same but I doubt the internal bits are. If I'm wrong, perhaps someone with more specific knowledge on the engineering of these motors could help us out here?
Old 01-19-2007, 05:21 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Originally Posted by SLKV12TT
Excellent points DansSlk. The hard part will not be fitting the physically smaller LS7 motor to the SLK or getting it to run with its stand-alone computer. Integration is the pain. On my Ferrari they basically ran two systems: one Bosch system to run the engine managmenet the other for the car's functions and integrated the systems only where necessary. Same should apply here.

The Enzo, with it's "lower torque" rating has difficulty putting its power down despite massive 345mm rear tires and something nearing 60% of its entire weight on the rear two tires. Ain't no way an SLK is as fast as an enzo. (Even with my project I plan on widening the rear wheel arches to accomodate 355/19 rears but I know my car will not be faster than an Enzo.)

IMO, if I was Kleeman and my SLK was that fast, I'd arrange for a magazine test with the SLK and a sourced Enzo. It's not that hard to do. The proof is in the pudding, not the advertisers caims.

Anyone from Road & Track out there to arrange for a road test?

While the basic architecture of the SLK may be the same as the other Merc V8s, its the internals you have to worry about. I highly doubt Merc uses the same pistons, same rings, same bearings, save valves, same valve springs, same headgaskets, same rods, etc etc in the SLK as they do in the SLR. Basic block and heads may be same but I doubt the internal bits are. If I'm wrong, perhaps someone with more specific knowledge on the engineering of these motors could help us out here?
You are way too concerned about traction - especially for TRACK use. Kleemann's have an LSD with a 60% lock up ratio (compared to AMG's 30% stocker unit for their blown cars....the SLK55 doesn't even have an LSD from the factory). This Kleemann LSD immediately aids traction. Additionally, anyone getting a Kleemannized SLK will undoubtably put wider/stickier rubber (especially on a track where you can run racing compound slicks which basicly ELIMINATE wheel spin). Heck, you can run DRs on the street if you want (my next purchase in fact) . If you think running DRs & nailing the car on a say 50 mph+ ROLL is still going to present traction issues - you are mistaken (which is what took place in the Enzo/SLK video anyway - they were already rolling).

There are 9 & 10 sec sports cars on the street that will RAPE an Enzo. If you put enough power in anything it will accelarate as fast as the money leaving your wallet for mods. Putting 600 Hp in an SLK will make it run even or VERY close to an Enzo. Food for thought:
Enzos run ~11.1 sec 1/4 miles trapping between 130 - 133 mph.
SLR's (~ same power as an SLK S8) run ~11.6 trapping 125 - 127 mph.
The SLK weighs 460 lbs LESS than an SLR, has a 7 Spd (not 5 Spd tranny), and ~ same power & torque as the SLR. If you don't think those factors will close the .5 sec Quarter Mile gap between an SLR & Enzo, I don't know what to tell ya. If an Enzo is still quicker, it wouldn't be by too much. Will an Enzo DESTROY an SLK on a road course. Yup. Does it really matter at the end of the day, especially for $100k convertaible daily driver vs. $1.5M? Nope!

-Matt
Old 01-20-2007, 12:54 AM

SL600 190SL
Looking to build this for street enjoyment. Traction is a good thing through the canyons! It's on these sorts of roads a cars true merit shines through. (Low center of gravity, centrally located weight, etc).

All I'm saying is show me! "On paper" an SLK is as fast as an Enzo or SLR. If Kleeman is to believed then they should have one put through a real comparison test. E.g., SLR or Enzo. I believe what I see. I've felt the blurring power of an Enzo.

For the money, let's see Kleeman get one of their cars tested they way RUF has put their cars up for review.

And back on point, AMG/Merc should put the 6.2 and a manual in the SLK. If they don't then let the great German masters be upstaged by an American LS7 motor and a T56 manual transmission. First thing I'd do is contact various publications to have them do a full test on the SLK70!
Old 01-20-2007, 03:54 AM

NA
If you want a hairy chested modern day Cobra, please consider buying any generation Dodge Viper. Don't ruin a Mercedes.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:18 AM

SL600 190SL
Nothing to ruin: It's an SLK, not a 300SL Gullwing. WHat draws me to the SLK in general is it's exceptional quality and engineering. The viper is fast but crude. It's like a Timex. Rugged, reliable and simple. The Merc is like a Chronoswiss. Similarly, the Vette is an exceptional car but just not as satisfying qualitatively speaking.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
An LS7 motor in the SLK sounds a lot easier to do than the V12 TT motor, especially if you're going to mate it to the 6 spd manual tranny. I think the LS7 motor has more potential. House of Power put a few corvette motors into different cars, like an older model Toyota Landcruiser.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Nothing to ruin: It's an SLK, not a 300SL Gullwing. WHat draws me to the SLK in general is it's exceptional quality and engineering. The viper is fast but crude. It's like a Timex. Rugged, reliable and simple. The Merc is like a Chronoswiss. Similarly, the Vette is an exceptional car but just not as satisfying qualitatively speaking.
Forgive my redundancy if this has already been said, I didn't have the patience or time to read this entire thread, my .02 if you're after this extra power, I think the Vette motor swap is a cool idea, but instead of the LS7, go w/LS2 6.0 liter, slap a blower on her, and call it a day w/600+rwhp HP & Torque, the 6.0 liter is problem free..

I've got 15k on my C6 now runs like a top, and the 6.0 is much more expandable in regards to adding power compared to the higher compression LS7..You could go w/Pro Charger Centrifugal blower or a Maggie, but since you're concerned w/weight Procharger D1S is your answer...

Plenty of guys are running this set-up average is 600rwhp 600rwto, there are a couple w/700+rwhp do it, do it!!!

Last edited by Thericker; 01-24-2007 at 02:08 AM.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:16 AM
Almost a Member!

Sounds like a bad *** project, and the LS series has unlimited potential.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:43 PM

1994 E320

The point for this thread for me was simply this: Mercedes and AMG should get their priorities straight and build a true sports car: One with a manual transmission and the best available engine.

I remember the day when driver skill mattered: When automatic transmissions were considered for girls. I think it's time for a hairy chested modern day Cobra. The SLK can be that car.
When was the last time you saw a manual in a "real" sports car? Manual transmissions are going the way of the Dodo, new top of the line automatic transmissions are as good or faster then just about every manual transmission out there. If you want to put old technology into your car, go for it.

LS7 is a decent idea though, do it if you like.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:49 PM

SL600 190SL
Real sports cars have manual transmissions. The word "sport" has been largely lost, along with the skills of shifting, matching engine speed to drivetrain speed, heel and toe leg action, etc. Once upon a time driving fast took skill. Now we have traction control and automatic transmissions in this world of "Driving for Dummies". Now, any chick who can hit a big old brake pedal and gas pedal and turn a power assisted steering rack can drive anything. (No offense to women, but try driving a Ferrari Daytona! You need muscles to shift the car, muscles to activate the clutchh and muscles to turn the wheel. It took SKILL to drive fast in the old days. Now, computers do all the hard work. Where is the "sport" in that?

Perhaps Road and Track put it well when reviewing the lastest 911 Twin Turbo. (I, by the way, have an "old" 993 Cabriolet with a custom built twin turbo and an old fashioned six speed manual transmission).

R&T tested the Porsche Turbo automatic and manual transmissions side by side:
"We know the automatic car is faster, but we still don't like it. We continue to prefer the traditional method of making a car go fast and hope the art of driving isn't lost."

You want to go fast without driving skill? Go ride a European high speed rail which will cruise at over 200 mph! You want fun? Get a sports car that involves the driver!

AMG! Are you listening? The ultimate driving machine you do not build and we want it!
Old 01-26-2007, 03:50 AM

SLK 55 AMG
If you want AMG to listen, you should make a petition. Online one could be a start. Send the link to people and ask them to sign it.

Perhaps if they get a few thousand signatures, they'll change their idea.

I really doubt anyone from AMG actually bothers to read this particular forum and thread, so it's all falling a bit on deaf ears...
Old 01-26-2007, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I've seen the video and think it is total B.S.

A front engined 3400 pound SLK, now with the added weight of a supercharger and additional cooling (i.e., 3500 pound SLK) with an SLR motor making 617 horsepower SIMPLY ISN'T FASTER than a 3000 pound, 660 horsepower, mid-engined (read gets traction) Enzo.

Lesson to be learned: Question everything you read, see or hear.
yes, you are right about questioning, but you can clearly see the SLK beat him, and that Enzo was definitely full throttle. SLK pulled by a few cars, Maybe the Enzo was having a bad day , but that day it definitely lost.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:03 PM

If youre throwing around this kind of $$$ i wouldnt worry too much about gas mileage.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:18 PM

SL600 190SL
Excellent idea Shinigami and I fear you're correct about AMG not paying attention to the thread. Of course, that would be unfortunate.

As for the SLK v Enzo: I've been in the Enzo at full throttle to maximum RPM and I can tell you that Enzo was NOT being driven to its potential. Not even close. While I'm going to build a killer SLK I'm not unrealistic. That SLK is not faster than a properly driven Enzo.

Actually, while at AMG, one of their reps told me the SLK V12 project would create a "killer SLK". He stated: "With that much power you'll kill yourself on the first time out." Of course, I respectfully disagreed.

Speaking of which, looking at wreckedexotics.com, it would appear that the SLK withstands severe accident deformation remarkably well for such a compact vehicle.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:58 AM

SLK 55 AMG
AMG will always tell you that "it'll kill you", they just want to protect the owner if they decide to do something crazy.

No company wants to see their buyers die because of crazy mods and so on.

Did you drive the Enzo, or were you just passenger?

You know, when I drive or sit in my GF's Smart Roadster (0-60 in about 10 seconds or more), it still feels very fast. Like a 6 seconds car. Why? Because you sit low and there's not much padding to protect you from road noise etc... Knowing that the Enzo is similar, most people who experience it, know it's crazy fast, but is it really as fast as they thing?

The SLK, if it had everything going for it to make it just as fast as the Enzo, you'd still be sitting higher, protected with more sound deadening material, and overall, sitting in more comfort with a torque converter rather then a clutch getting you along. That results in a very 'different' driving experience, and thus, and Enzo will feel faster.

Just my two cents
Old 01-28-2007, 04:38 PM

SL600 190SL
I drove the Enzo. My daily driver is a 2600 pound Ferrari with 400 plus hp (now having twin turbos installed) so I'm used to quick cars. The Enzo was literally a bit scary driving on public roads at full throttle. With massive rear tires and drivetrain sitting on rear tires traction was very easy to loose. 0-60 in around 3.2 seconds is a gut wrenching experience. You feel the car literally clawing its way as it catapults you forward. That was one fast car. For me, I the Enzo is too big and rides like crap with its motor / transmision bolted solid to the chassis. Of course, it's also a million bucks. By comparison, I found the Pagani a much more enjoyable ride and could see driving one of those daily. I would not drive the Enzo daily. The SLK with a V12 TT or LS7 motor would be a beast but a very livable beast.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:49 PM

Unfortunatly Not A Silver Star
Well that will be interesting if u do it !
Old 01-28-2007, 10:27 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
I drove the Enzo. My daily driver is a 2600 pound Ferrari with 400 plus hp (now having twin turbos installed) so I'm used to quick cars. The Enzo was literally a bit scary driving on public roads at full throttle. With massive rear tires and drivetrain sitting on rear tires traction was very easy to loose. 0-60 in around 3.2 seconds is a gut wrenching experience. You feel the car literally clawing its way as it catapults you forward. That was one fast car. For me, I the Enzo is too big and rides like crap with its motor / transmision bolted solid to the chassis. Of course, it's also a million bucks. By comparison, I found the Pagani a much more enjoyable ride and could see driving one of those daily. I would not drive the Enzo daily. The SLK with a V12 TT or LS7 motor would be a beast but a very livable beast.
A 2,600 lbs Ferrari...which model would that be?

I'm begining to think none of these cars you "own" actually, well.....exist. You keep mentioning all these "hybrid" cars & projects you have or own, yet, nobody on this forum sees you, knows you, your cars, your location, or your vocation? Nothing. Nada. We only hear of these projects (weird ones, in fact, that destroy any value the original car may have once had). Even your sig belies an, "international man of mystery"......ZERO details about yourself.

I'd suggest, if you do own/have all these modified sports cars, that you continue with your mods & stop asking rhetorical/far fetched questions that nobody else is going to answer (nobody with an SLK55 is going to drop the motor & put some Chevy powerplant in it for a few extra ponies - they will just use a MB tuner such as Brabus or Kleemann to professionally install & warranty the performance upgrade(s)).

-Matt
Old 01-29-2007, 05:09 AM

SL600 190SL
Yellow R1, FYI, I have a lightweight Euro 308 QV that had its rear frame removed and replaced with the rear frame, suspension and drivetrain from a Ferrari 355. On scales she weighs just under 2600 pounds. Chipped and tubi give about 410 hp at 8500 RPMs. The Ferrari is having a twin turbo system installed which will blow 6 PSI and be good for about 550 hp. Finishing up a (now) 2650 pound BMW Z1. Installing the LS7 motor with about 520 hp. My 993 cabriolet has a twin turbo motor built by David at Proto Tech. Blackhorse motors is building my series 1 XKE roadster with an XJR aluminum/4 valve/supercharged Jaguar motor and five speed manual transmission. My daily driver is currently a Ferrari 512TR.

Notwithstanding the foregoing, I will install either the V12TT or the LS7 in the SLK. If AMG builds the SLK63 I will not drop in the LS7. But that remains to be seen.

BACK ON POINT: Any help here would be appreciated, particularly with computer programming.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:40 AM

SLK 55 AMG
What kind of help do you need in computer programming? Are you talking about ECU/chip programming. If so, I doubt anyone here could do much for you, apart from the sponsor companies that provide ecu tuning.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:01 PM

SL600 190SL
Yup. Help with the ECU program. Help from sponsors is most welcome!
Old 01-29-2007, 11:01 PM
pas

2007 S65, 2005 Nissan Armada
If you are going to go through the trouble of putting an LS7 motor in the SLK please don't put it in stock. Put some twin turbos, or nitrous, or cams and exhaust or all of the above. If you are going to do it why not have a 1000hp SLK!
Old 01-30-2007, 02:58 AM

SL600 190SL

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ls7 Slk???