SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Ls7 Slk???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 03:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL600 190SL
Ok. This thread is clearly digressing and degenerating. Comparing Ferrari to Mazda. Pumping up an RX7 is nothing new, cheap and easy, although the rotary motor is perhaps the most unappealing sounding motor to find it's way into a sportscar.

The purpose of this thread was to get assistance from those who might be in the know. Clearly that's not happening now.

For clarification: The 355 powered 308 weighs 2600 lbs, as stated. What you missed, apparently, was that the addition of two turbos, two intercoolers, etc, will add weight. I factored in excess weight to offset the added bits. When the twin turbo system is in place I will re-weigh the Ferrari. FYI, she's not a stripped down car but features better AC, more comfortable seats, higher grade leather and carpet throughout, etc. She is a docile street carrrr that's stunningly beautiful. How about posting pics of the rice burner

As for acquiring the SLK55: Seriously, they're down right cheap. Am I the only one who saw the '07 w/ 3k miles sell for $51k? No real hurdle here. I'm done on this line. I was hoping for help yet this thread has degenerated. Posts are made by people who have nothing to contribute. Sorry, but it's true. I asked a question and the last few posts having nothing to do with providing help or answers.

Those that did help, thank you.

Last edited by SLKV12TT; 02-09-2007 at 03:13 AM.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by SLKV12TT
Ok. This thread is clearly digressing and degenerating. Comparing Ferrari to Mazda.
It's been done before.

Pumping up an RX7 is nothing new, cheap and easy,
Versus taking an outdated 70's 308, which was such a turd it couldn't get out of it's own way and dropping in another power plant says what about your car?

although the rotary motor is perhaps the most unappealing sounding motor to find it's way into a sportscar.
And the same motor that won Lemans outright. I love the sound and smell of rotary belching flames and race fuel at 9500 rpm's.

For clarification: The 355 powered 308 weighs 2600 lbs, as stated. What you missed, apparently, was that the addition of two turbos, two intercoolers, etc, will add weight. I factored in excess weight to offset the added bits. When the twin turbo system is in place I will re-weigh the Ferrari.
Then post the weight slip, you said you had it weighed at all four corners.

FYI, she's not a stripped down car but features better AC, more comfortable seats, higher grade leather and carpet throughout, etc..
It's still a 70's technology car. Maybe a 70's Pinto with corinthian leather and upgraded A/C could be your next project ?

She is a docile street carrrr that's stunningly beautiful.
So is a pink four cylinder VW in some people's eyes.

How about posting pics of the rice burner?
Just as soon as you post pictures of that dated 70's abortion you are wasting good coin on.

As for acquiring the SLK55: Seriously, they're down right cheap. Am I the only one who saw the '07 w/ 3k miles sell for $51k? No real hurdle here.
This is the I have ego problems line...
"I am somebody" , "I have money" "Am I impressing you"? Who cares, it has nothing to do with the topic. Funny stuff.

I'm done on this line. I was hoping for help yet this thread has degenerated. Posts are made by people who have nothing to contribute. Sorry, but it's true.
Posts like this?

"Want to race for pinks and put money where one's mouth is?"
I asked a question and the last few posts having nothing to do with providing help or answers.
No, what you did is come in here and post with a name of SLKV12tt, which you don't have and start asking silly questions. The guys in here were very nice but when they asked you question you got nasty.

You also challenged me to a race for pinks. Do you always challenge others and then run like chicken with a fork in it's azz?

You're nothing more than a blow hard, quit wasting good bandwidth.

BTW: If you are man enough pm me and I will still take your car from you.

Last edited by Fountain; 02-10-2007 at 01:32 AM.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:26 AM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
I almost lost my soda through my nose. That was entertaining, but true.

Old 02-10-2007, 01:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS7 powered Corvette
An LS7 with cam/full exhaust mated to the 6 gear box would be rediculous!!! Thats pretty much the only mods you would need to destroy anything on the road... but you know a nitrous kit probably wouldn't hurt. You would only need 150hp worth to be pretty much untouchable on the street.
Old 02-10-2007, 03:06 AM

SL600 190SL
Fountain, you must be kidding?

Yup, another outdated car, like the Ferrari F40 or Porsche 959. By the way, did you see that another "outdated" Ferrari 308 sold for nearly $60,000 at Barrett Jackson (with seller's fee).

Post the slip from weighing the Ferrari? How do you mean? I own a set of Lakewood scales. They don't print slips. They give digital readouts. But of course, I'm sure you already know this.

70s technology? What are you talking about? Sorry, when it was built in the 90s it was arguably the world's most advanced motor: 8500 RPM redline, 110 hp per liter normally aspirated, this Ferrari engine has five valves per cyl, titanium connecting rods, and dry sump lubrication. 3.5 liters and nearly 400 hp through cats and stock computer. That's old technology. Funny, my car sounds like an F1 car when she's screaming past 8000 rpms, not an unbalanced blender like a rotary.

Bottom line: I didn't get nasty when guys simply asked questions. If people are critical without reason, and I've posted seeking genuine assistance and expertise (which you obviously don't have) then of course I will respond.

I'm not backing down. When the Ferrari is dialed in I'll bring her to Willow Springs. I'll let you know when and you can bring your Mazda. Deal?
Old 02-10-2007, 10:37 AM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
SLKV12TT,

With all that money, I'm sure you own a digital camera. Why don't you take the elevator down to your 10-car garage and snap a pic? If it's too much work for YOU, then simply send the hired help.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:23 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55

Yup, another outdated car, like the Ferrari F40 or Porsche 959. By the way, did you see that another "outdated" Ferrari 308 sold for nearly $60,000 at Barrett Jackson (with seller's fee).

Post the slip from weighing the Ferrari? How do you mean? I own a set of Lakewood scales. They don't print slips. They give digital readouts. But of course, I'm sure you already know this.

70s technology? What are you talking about? Sorry, when it was built in the 90s it was arguably the world's most advanced motor: 8500 RPM redline, 110 hp per liter normally aspirated, this Ferrari engine has five valves per cyl, titanium connecting rods, and dry sump lubrication. 3.5 liters and nearly 400 hp through cats and stock computer. That's old technology. Funny, my car sounds like an F1 car when she's screaming past 8000 rpms, not an unbalanced blender like a rotary.

Bottom line: I didn't get nasty when guys simply asked questions. If people are critical without reason, and I've posted seeking genuine assistance and expertise (which you obviously don't have) then of course I will respond.

I'm not backing down. When the Ferrari is dialed in I'll bring her to Willow Springs. I'll let you know when and you can bring your Mazda. Deal?
I'm now convinced, you vascilate more than John Kerry.

1) The car in discussion is your 308. That chassis came out in the SEVENTEES (actually, 1975 - that would ~ 32 years ago). You then bring up the supposed 355 engine transplant? Maybe the whole reason you are transplanting an engine constructed TWENTY YEARS later is because the original was a gutless squirrel. Summary.....the 308 is anchient technology, regardless of your "355 swap". Sooooo, quit poking fun at other people's cars - you sound like a pompous jackazz.

2) What the hell are you talking about with the F40 & Porsche 959? They came out in the mid EIGHTEES & have absolutely nothing to do with anything. Hey, the Space Shuttle was launched in the 80s...who gives a rats azz?

3) Barret Jackson? Oh Geezuz...where are you headed now? Its more, "I have a car like one on Barret Jackson that sold for $60k", aren't I special?! Pal, $60k is peanuts & lower than the base price of an SLK55 (which these members own....EXCEPT you, of course). Another example of an inane point which has nothing to do with your 308/355 "swap".

4) You were poking fun at one of Fountain's cars & challenged him for "pinks" (like an adolescent) & he responded. Now its, "well, I have to finish my project first, then we'll race". AND, the "pinks" reference was one of acceleration (ie a drag strip, you know where the show, "Pinks" takes place, not Button Willow?). Great track choice BTW. You challenge him to "pinks" and choose a local track while he would travel from,.... VIRGINIA? Sure, that's going to happen. If/when you decide to challenge someone for "pinks", (which is retarded anyway - especially since you don't know the guy, his cars, NOTHING) you sure as hell better be READY or STFU.

5) Last point. You brought up engine displacement efficiencies? Your "State of the Art" 355 engine put down 107 Hp/Liter. The successor, the 360 Modena released in 1999, achieved 111 Hp/Liter. This "feat" was achieved by the 1986 N/A 13B powerplant in the RX-7 (the car that seems to be the target of your ire).......13 years EARLIER. It also had better gas mileage, it weighed less, was more reliable/durable, and also reved to 8,000 RPM. It also didn't need an engine drop to change belts & adjust 40 valves at 15,000 miles = ~ $12k for routine maintenance ) So please, read up before attacking other people's cars - at least do your homework first.

-Matt

Last edited by Yellow R1; 02-10-2007 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by Yellow R1
I'm now convinced, you vascilate more than John Kerry.

1) The car in discussion is your 308. That chassis came out in the SEVENTEES (actually, 1975 - that would ~ 32 years ago). You then bring up the supposed 355 engine transplant? Maybe the whole reason you are transplanting an engine constructed TWENTY YEARS later is because the original was a gutless squirrel. Summary.....the 308 is anchient technology, regardless of your "355 swap". Sooooo, quit poking fun at other people's cars - you sound like a pompous jackazz.

2) What the hell are you talking about with the F40 & Porsche 959? They came out in the mid EIGHTEES & have absolutely nothing to do with anything. Hey, the Space Shuttle was launched in the 80s...who gives a rats azz?

3) Barret Jackson? Oh Geezuz...where are you headed now? Its more, "I have a car like one on Barret Jackson that sold for $60k", aren't I special?! Pal, $60k is peanuts & lower than the base price of an SLK55 (which these members own....EXCEPT you, of course). Another example of an inane point which has nothing to do with your 308/355 "swap".

4) You were poking fun at one of Fountain's cars & challenged him for "pinks" (like an adolescent) & he responded. Now its, "well, I have to finish my project first, then we'll race". AND, the "pinks" reference was one of acceleration (ie a drag strip, you know where the show, "Pinks" takes place, not Button Willow?). Great track choice BTW. You challenge him to "pinks" and choose a local track while he would travel from,.... VIRGINIA? Sure, that's going to happen. If/when you decide to challenge someone for "pinks", (which is retarded anyway - especially since you don't know the guy, his cars, NOTHING) you sure as hell better be READY or STFU.

5) Last point. You brought up engine displacement efficiencies? Your "State of the Art" 355 engine put down 107 Hp/Liter. The successor, the 360 Modena released in 1999, achieved 111 Hp/Liter. This "feat" was achieved by the 1986 N/A 13B powerplant in the RX-7 (the car that seems to be the target of your ire).......13 years EARLIER. It also had better gas mileage, it weighed less, was more reliable/durable, and also reved to 8,000 RPM. It also didn't need an engine drop to change belts & adjust 40 valves at 15,000 miles = ~ $12k for routine maintenance ) So please, read up before attacking other people's cars - at least do your homework first.

-Matt
+1

nice one yellow
Old 02-11-2007, 04:34 AM

SL600 190SL
Matt, your ignorance of Ferrari is not surprising. FYI, I do own an SLK55 along with other cars.

FYI, the 308 motor is very similar, nay the foundation, to all Ferrari V8 motors up through the 360 (the 430 is based on the Maserati motor). What do you think the F40 motor is based on?

Ancient technology? Yup, Double A-arms all the way around, tube frame chassis, mid-engine, etc. Yup. Ancient. Reality is my ancient 308 is quicker than a 355 which is a bit faster than the SLK55 (check track times for the SLK and 355 on the Ring).

My ancient 308 has much better balance than the SLK and the Ferrari's steering and controls have far far far more feel than the "modern" slk.

Frankly, comparing Ferrari to Mazda, well, isn't worth the time.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:40 AM

SL600 190SL
Oh, and regarding the claim that the used Ferrari 308 that sold for nearly $60k is less than the price of a new slk, well, that's actually more than dealer invoice and dealers are having a hard time selling the SLK at $60k. You need a reality check. SLK is a good car. I have one. BUT, the thing depreciates like mad. I saved nearly $20k by buying my SLK55 with about 3k miles on it.

By the way, anyone want to purchase the SLK55 engine and transmission w/about 3k miles?

As the LS7 motor is already going in my Z1 I think I'll drop in the V12TT after all into the SLK.

Wheels and tires are also for sale. If I install the SL65 seats I will have a set of grey/black SLK55 seats for sale as well.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:47 AM

Looking for a new toy.
SLKV12TT, with all due respect you're credibility on here is fast approaching "0". You complain about members here not being able to answer your (complicated and very specialized) questions regarding engine swaps, but yet you can't answer a few simple questions posed by myself and others?! Why is that? It is beyond comprehension why you can't put up a few easy pics of these various car/parts you claim to own? And no, random pics from the net which have no relation to each other, don't count.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:03 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Matt, your ignorance of Ferrari is not surprising. FYI, I do own an SLK55 along with other cars.

FYI, the 308 motor is very similar, nay the foundation, to all Ferrari V8 motors up through the 360 (the 430 is based on the Maserati motor). What do you think the F40 motor is based on?

Ancient technology? Yup, Double A-arms all the way around, tube frame chassis, mid-engine, etc. Yup. Ancient. Reality is my ancient 308 is quicker than a 355 which is a bit faster than the SLK55 (check track times for the SLK and 355 on the Ring).

My ancient 308 has much better balance than the SLK and the Ferrari's steering and controls have far far far more feel than the "modern" slk.

Frankly, comparing Ferrari to Mazda, well, isn't worth the time.
I've got more racing & historical knowledge of Ferrari & other makes than you will EVER have.

1) Maserati is owned by the Fiat Froup. The Fiat Group owns Ferrari (along with Lancia, Ducatti, and 24 other product lines housed within 4 separate divisions - including even aircraft & marine powerplants). The FG is a $5B Multinational employing ~ 5,000 people that basicly FOUNDED the auto industry back in the late 1890's. Enzo worked at Alfa (another FG division) before getting humilated by a lack of revenue generation for his division so he left & founded his own firm down the street in an old Alfa storage garage (which had not been hit by Allied bombing) shortly after the War (Scuderia Ferrari = Garage of Ferrari).

2) Enlarging displacement is ROUTINELY done by manufacturers to increase powerplant output over time. Hey, thanks for the "hot tip". Ferrari, like other manufacturers, also improve other facets of engine development to augment displacement gains (ie quattrovalve to pentavalve?). I hate to bring you up on current events, but EVERYONE knows the Ferrari V8 migration from the 268 SP in 1962 (inhertied from Lancia) to the implementation into their first street car in '74 (308 GT4). Its BASIC knowledge. The 288 GTO & F40 were nothing but 2.8 & 2.9L engines running twins (with the F40 running an extra 5 lbs of boost). Absolutely groundbreaking knowledge.

3) When did your brain decide to start comparing an SLK55 to some old 308 you drive? More John Kerry syndrome. Geezus, my Social Security is absolutely in jeapardy.

4) Comparing Mazda to Ferrari not worth your time? Don't make us all LAUGH. YOU were the Clown trying to race for "Pinks" against Fountain's modified RX-7. He took up your "high school offer" & you backpeddled like a 4 yr old. And, FWIW, I DESTROYED a maroon 360 Modena a few years back on Hwy 280 in my RX-7. He was a pompous ***** riding my azz so I moved over. He slowed down & starting reving my RX-7. WTF? I dropped it to 3rd & WALKED him 3 times from 70 - 120 mph. He then sped off all pissed off @ the next exit. My wife & I just laughed. Its a car made from glass, steel, rubber, & plastic no matter if its a Ferrari, or a Mazda. Because a Ferrari costs 5X & uses superior (although heavier) materials & its built better, is not going to make it perform better on the track (or on the street) in ANY performance category.

Maybe you should quit trying to cut other people's rides down & leave this Forum entirely. You have become an irritant & pompous little Troll.

-Matt

Last edited by Yellow R1; 02-11-2007 at 03:05 PM.
Old 02-11-2007, 03:51 PM

SL600 190SL
Whatever Matt. FYI, I didn't start. Fact is your daily driver is a Mazda and mine is a Ferrari but you claim to know more about Ferrari than I. I live with driving a Ferrari, day in , day out, for the last 10 plus years. My TR tops out well over 190mph. I doubt your '93 RX7 will have me running for the next exit.

My twin turbo Ferrari 308 stands ready to tackle any car you've got in your stable.

Then again, there is more than one publication that wants to do a story on my 308/355 Twin Turbo with aluminum GTO bodywork (not fiberglass!) so you may just as well wait and read about it.

Again, purpose of this thread was to seek help from people with expertise. You've contributed nothing. Thank you. Enjoy your classic Mazda.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:01 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Whatever Matt. FYI, I didn't start. Fact is your daily driver is a Mazda and mine is a Ferrari but you claim to know more about Ferrari than I. I live with driving a Ferrari, day in , day out, for the last 10 plus years. My TR tops out well over 190mph. I doubt your '93 RX7 will have me running for the next exit.

My twin turbo Ferrari 308 stands ready to tackle any car you've got in your stable.

Then again, there is more than one publication that wants to do a story on my 308/355 Twin Turbo with aluminum GTO bodywork (not fiberglass!) so you may just as well wait and read about it.

Again, purpose of this thread was to seek help from people with expertise. You've contributed nothing. Thank you. Enjoy your classic Mazda.
I've also got $100k Kleemanized Benz. WHO CARES? Its transportation. I can buy pretty much any car I want you Clown. My wife & I live in Silicon Valley. Why would I go waste $200k - $300k on car that performs less than my current sports cars? To be a pompous, "I drive a Ferrari" guy like yourself? No thanks.

You STILL challenging people's cars on the internet? Brilliant. FWIW, unless your TR runs high tens, (ie you have a JATO attached to your TR), you would get the paint sucked off if it came anywhere near my R1. My "Mazda" has more power at the rear wheels than a stock TR has at the flywheel (& it weighs ONE THOUSAND pounds LESS - you do the math Einstien.

You don't have a 308/355TT. You have some *******ized F car parts lying in some garage that you "hope" will one day get assembled into a complete car or you would have posted pics of your OPERATING conversion. You are a hateful little man with a big ego that tries putting down other people's cars.

-Matt
Old 02-11-2007, 09:06 PM

Yup, another outdated car, like the Ferrari F40 or Porsche 959.
You have neither and the 308 wasn'tan F-40...

By the way, did you see that another "outdated" Ferrari 308 sold for nearly $60,000 at Barrett Jackson (with seller's fee).
I watched a Ford Edsel go for more, your point?

You continue to say the car weighs less than 2600 lbs yet you cannot post it. The car isn't even done and you already know how much it weighs?

70s technology? What are you talking about?
The 308. Hello?

Sorry, when it was built in the 90s it was arguably the world's most advanced motor: 8500 RPM redline, 110 hp per liter normally aspirated, this Ferrari engine has five valves per cyl, titanium connecting rods, and dry sump lubrication. 3.5 liters and nearly 400 hp through cats and stock computer. That's old technology. Funny, my car sounds like an F1 car when she's screaming past 8000 rpms, not an unbalanced blender like a rotary.
I think R1 already schooled you on this.

Wrong a couple people here have asked you questions and you ignored them, then got nasty. Go back and read or shall I post your rants?

Absolutely! We can race for pinks just as you stated. I hold an FIA cometition license and have road raced for two decades.

Oh and read up...this was a bone stock RX-7...

"RX-7 Shows Its Heels To Other Sports Cars - January 1992

The editors at Automobile Magazine were so impressed with the all-new 1993 RX-7 at the recent long-lead press preview that they asked Mazda if they could race one at the $100,000 Consulier Challange last month. When the dust cleared, the new RX-7's launch got a boost as the potent sports car showed its heels to some of the world's most exotic-and expensive-street machinery.

Consulier, a small south Florida car builder of race cars modified for street use, invited auto enthusiast publications to bring any stock production car of their choice to the historic Sebring (Florida) race track. The challenge: match or beat the lap time of the Consulier's prototype fiberglass race. Automibile editor David E. Davis, Jr. called MMA public relations, who arranged the loan of a pre-production RX-7 model for the event. Along with it came the services of Peter Farrell, the current international Motor Sports Association Firehawk Series driving champion, who had helped MMA organize the RX-7 long-lead press preview.

"At the long-lead I'd had a lot of chances to drive the RX-7, both on the road and the race track," said Farrell, a former rally racing champion his native New Zealand. "It was an impressive performer, and probably the best-handling car I've ever driven on the street."

"The new RX-7 is lighter, stronger and more powerful than the old one, which was no slouch around the track. It achieves true supercar performance. While I didn't think we could match the speed of a disguised racecar like the Consulier, I was confident that we'd do well in any match-up with a bonafide street car."

That they did. With Automobile technical editor Barry Winfield supervising and writers from Car and Driver, Motor Trend and AutoWeek looking on during the two-day event, the RX-7 bettered the times of a Porsche 911 Turbo, a new Lamborghini Diablo, an Acura NSX, and a host of "unofficial" entries, including a race-modified Corvette and a Ferrari F-40, cars that cost two to 10 times as much as the RX-7."

I'll bring my track car and suck the paint off that 70's "docile street carrrr that's stunningly beautiful"...

Last edited by Fountain; 02-11-2007 at 09:31 PM.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:19 PM

Whatever Matt. FYI, I didn't start.
Yes you did.

Fact is your daily driver is a Mazda and mine is a Ferrari but you claim to know more about Ferrari than I.
Actually his daily driver is G35. I think it's just a bit more comfortable than an old Ferrari?

I live with driving a Ferrari, day in , day out, for the last 10 plus years.
Would you like a medal? Such a huge accomplishment.

My TR tops out well over 190mph.
Uh, so does his RX-7. The difference is your TR takes about a week to get there.

I doubt your '93 RX7 will have me running for the next exit.
Actually he will be pulled over and on his third drink by the time you get to that exit.

You car is a bucket of bolts if you even own it, and when you race me I'll take it and give it to charity.

Wow! Not fiberglass! Well that does it, everyone throw in the towel...

You sure are making a lot of friends here.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:53 AM

SL600 190SL
Matt, you still don't get it. The Ferrari is not a waste of money as it doesn something none of your cars do: Retain value!

You've got a "$100k Kleemanized Benz" that's now worth closer to $60k. A Mazda is built like a Mazda. Lots of plastic. Machine built. A watch is not a watch for some. A Timex and a Breguet both tell time but I suppose you couldn't tell the difference betweent he two. Those who appreciate quality and aesthetics do care.

FYI, I've been driving, daily, the 308/355. Just decided twin turbocharging the V8 would be something over the top so she's at a top exhaust shop having the system built. She's anything but parts in a box.

FYI: An editor for Forza Magazine was blown away when he was taken for a drive in my Ferrari and that was BEFORE the twin turbos were installed. Again, you'll read about it when all is finished.

I signed on here for assistance. Again, you provide none. If someone has some expertise here then please PM me.

I'm tired of dealing with jealous types.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:21 PM

SLK 55 AMG
I wouldn't say a Ferrari holds its value... at least not over here.

5 years ago, a Modena may have gone for over $200k, and now I can buy them for $100k (or less). Some Ferrari's drop in value quite a lot.

But anyway guys, let's not get into an ePenis fight over here. If we continue like this, it can get dirty, and then it's just not a very pleasurable experience to chat about cars when everyone hates each other.

I think the discussion about 'possibly' fitting an SLK with an LS7 or a V12TT engine is interesting, but it doesn't need to be taken seriously to the point of making it be the "be it all, end it all" discussion.

If SLKV12TT has all the cars, he can either go about doing his mods and finding bits of info here and there to help him along (although I doubt this forum has anyone who would actually fit the bill of giving 'useful' info like a technician over at Brabus would) so that in 6 or 12 months time he posts pics of his 'new SLK with "another engine" ', or if he has the time/camera, he can post a group photo of his cars and just end the discussion.

Oh darn... I sound like a moderator/administrator all of a sudden. I think I'm going to blame all the other forums I moderate for this one =\

Anyway, chill down boys, chill down
Old 02-12-2007, 01:32 PM

SLK 55 AMG
btw: The SLK55 AMG is holding it's value pretty well over here. After 2 years, it has lost maybe 20-30% of its value.

Of course the more expensive cars will lose value quicker, simply because they're so very expensive and in order to find people to buy them, you need to drop down the second hand price like he11, but out of all the Benzes I see, the SLK's doing pretty well (surprisingly, considering it's a niche car).
Old 02-12-2007, 08:53 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Matt, you still don't get it. The Ferrari is not a waste of money as it doesn something none of your cars do: Retain value!

You've got a "$100k Kleemanized Benz" that's now worth closer to $60k. A Mazda is built like a Mazda. Lots of plastic. Machine built. A watch is not a watch for some. A Timex and a Breguet both tell time but I suppose you couldn't tell the difference betweent he two. Those who appreciate quality and aesthetics do care.

FYI, I've been driving, daily, the 308/355. Just decided twin turbocharging the V8 would be something over the top so she's at a top exhaust shop having the system built. She's anything but parts in a box.

FYI: An editor for Forza Magazine was blown away when he was taken for a drive in my Ferrari and that was BEFORE the twin turbos were installed. Again, you'll read about it when all is finished.

I signed on here for assistance. Again, you provide none. If someone has some expertise here then please PM me.

I'm tired of dealing with jealous types.
Ohhh noooo! Now you have digressed to value retention?

Its obvious you have had your **** handed to you on every front you have raised & keep trying to change the topic. Comical!

If you think destroying an old 308 chassis (which wasn't worth JACK to begin with) is going to increase the value of an original car...you are sadly mistaken. Anytime you change the original config of a car, its worth PLUMETS (this is "why" matching numbers are so important Mr. Jackson ).

Secondly, I don't buy my cars as a monetary "investment". I DRIVE the heck out of them & enjoy them. I take care of my cars, but they are hardly "carpet queens". Maybe you will learn someday that people that buy sports cars aren't too concerned with depreciation. AND, FWIW, clean RX-7s are appreciating, not depreciating). My R1 went up $4k in KBB last year so again you post without doing your homework. Hello McFly?

I better run home now & take my blower off my SLK.....it might "depreciate" more! The only thing shrinking in relation to my SLK would be your front end in my rear view mirror. Jealous....don't make me LAUGH. GET A LIFE little man.

See ya Magnum!

-Matt
Old 02-12-2007, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cee Fiddy Five
Where is that popcorn smile...
Old 02-12-2007, 11:50 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Originally Posted by MercedesFTW
Where is that popcorn smile...

Old 02-13-2007, 04:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G55 & SLK55
Shinigami you are correct about the Modena, It loses its value quick whilst compared to the F355 its prices are stable here and I found a Highmilaged 00 modena for around 55 USD here.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:18 AM

SLK 55 AMG
Over here, 355's start at around 70,000 swiss francs (Modena's start at around 100,000), i.e. $50k

I can see more then 20 of them in the 70-90k range on a swiss second hand car website.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:27 PM

SL600 190SL
Over here, in the largest Ferrari market in the world, a 2002 Ferrari 360 Spider had an MSRP of around $160k. Used, they are still selling for in this same range.

Ferrari 355 spider was about $125 when new in mid-90s. Those cars still routinely bring $80 to $90k and the 355 model is (1) over ten years old and (2) probably approaching the bottom of its depreciation curve.

Any idea what a ten year old Mercedes goes for?

I'm familiar with the German mkt. There, used 360 spider start around 100,000 Euros. That's $130k.

Guess what KBB is for an '05 SL65? Under $100k. The Merc loses what, nearly half it's value in a little over a year?

Boys, you cannot compare resale values to Ferrari. The Merc just won't hold up unless you've got a Gullwing. Period.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ls7 Slk???