SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

New to the forum. Have some questions.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to the forum. Have some questions.

Hi All

I have been looking for a nice car for my wife and she is crazy about the SLK AMG. We have driven one and it is a sweet fast car. Seems to be a good value.

Anyway, I have been doing some research and have some questions for some real owners. I have seen that some owners have complained about brake squeeking. Is this a problem? Are there any transmission issues? Any other chronic problems? We will use the car for semi-short trips to the beach or mountains. How is it for 3-4 hour trips? We have an NSX that I can drive 12 hours straight in complete comfort. What are the absolute necessary options? I don't think I want to spend for the performance package, but anything else is ok. I know color is subjective, but she wants the Mars Red. We haven't seen one in person and the pictures of this color are rare. Is Mars Red popular here?

Any information to help in our decision is greatly appreciated. BTW, we will be selling our PERFECT '05 S2000. If you know anyone interested, let me know. Here is a link to it: My NSX. The S2000 is near the bottom.

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL65
Mine is red. I like it. I always thought that mars red was the darker red and firemist was the lighter one. I was mistaken. Mine is mars red not firemist. Whoops.

Anyway, brakes squeaking is normal for a mercedes. My E55 squeaks and so does my SLK55. It's not really noticable that much if you keep it clean. The brake dust that merecedes vehicles are notorious for are a lot of the problem there.

No other problems other than sometimes the roof rattles/squeaks. Theres a lubricant that needs periodicly put on the roof seals.

Long trips, not sure. I kind of have a bad back so for me I would not want to, but the seats are comfortable so they would probably be ok for a 3 hour trip. Options are personal preference. Nav is good, definatly get the heated seats with airscarf. They're not just a gimick, I love them.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showpost....39&postcount=8
Old 03-05-2007, 03:53 AM

SLK 55 AMG
Originally Posted by tabasco
I have seen that some owners have complained about brake squeeking. Is this a problem?
AMG brakes are Brembo's or something like that... they do squeak occasionally, but it is not as bad with some people as it is with others. You can get some porterfield brake pads from 'formymercedes.com' if you want to lower brake dust, and this in turn will help to keep squeaks to a minimum. The brakes are pretty powerful, and you'll occasionally find high end cars with similar powerful brakes will squeak even more, much more.
The squeaks are most prominent during the first few thousand miles while you bed them in. If the squeaking still continues, they may need to be realigned a bit, or you can get some special compounds to lower the noise as well.
But I suggest you drive the car and find out, maybe your impression of squeaky brakes is different to other people. Whilst one person absolutely hates even the slightest squeak and counts it as a serious issue, someone else will just shrug their shoulders and completely forget about the squeak after a few days of driving.
My brakes don't squeak anymore. Well, they did it a little when the temperatures were down to the zero degree mark, but I don't drive in winter so squealing brake issues are a thing of the past for me.
Are there any transmission issues?
There was an issue in the past, but MB has most likely sorted this out by now on all new cars. It's a valve which is either broken, or badly mounted, resulting in jerky downshifts. I don't have this issue. If you're buying second hand, test drive to find out if you've got this problem or the squeaky brakes.
Any other chronic problems?
The AMG SLK's seem to be better built then the non-AMG ones, i.e. a much lower number of problems are found on the AMG's then elsewhere. Probably this is down to extra quality assurance testing before delivery of the car from factory. Mine now has over 30k miles after 2 years of ownership, and I love this car.
How is it for 3-4 hour trips? We have an NSX that I can drive 12 hours straight in complete comfort.
Some people find that the non-AMG seats are too hard, and I have to agree. I however like the AMG seats, and I did a 22 hour non-stop trip (with a few stops to get gas) when driving from Sweden to Switzerland. I did not have any back issues the following day, and neither did my GF.
What are the absolute necessary options? I don't think I want to spend for the performance package, but anything else is ok.
Airscarf is cool, if you don't get it, you might have a harder time selling the car in the future... I have a nearly fully loaded SLK, and I like the COMAND system (even if it's not as swanky as in new Honda's or Toyota's), the Xenons are very powerful, the heated electric seats are a nice and the fully automatic aircon works as expected. Only thing I don't use is the CD changer, since I can burn a dual layer DVD with several thousand MP3's and play it in the COMAND system instead.
I know color is subjective, but she wants the Mars Red. We haven't seen one in person and the pictures of this color are rare. Is Mars Red popular here?
It's rare, but it looks real nice. The other Benz forum has some members that have this color. Maybe contact them to see their cars in person?

And good luck selling the S2000, it's a great car! Coincidentally, I drove an NSX just yesterday
Old 03-05-2007, 04:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G55 & SLK55
Mars red is rare you should go for it especially with the complementing Black and Red AMG interior. Airscarf is a must especially in opentop cold weather it really works great. Brake squeeking is fine, as you do get them in mostly all Performance Orientated cars, I dont think its an issue to me but I can live with it, no problems.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by alroumi
Mars red is rare you should go for it especially with the complementing Black and Red AMG interior....
I would love to get Black and Red interior, but thought that was not an option, only Black and Ash. The MBUSA.com website does not show it as an ooption. I will have to check with the dealer. Thanks
Old 03-05-2007, 07:16 AM

Shinigami, Thanks for the great response. I didn't know the AMG uses Brembo brakes. They are high-end. Many of my NSX friends have upgraded to Brembo, at a very high price.

Minor squeeking will not bother me. Some of the posts I read sounded like loud squeeking that could not be resolved by the dealer.

That long trip you took sounds like a dream trip. I would like to visit Europe and try a trip like that someday.

Again, thanks for the great response. I will let you know what we do.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:33 AM

One more question

Any idea when the '08s will be available and are there any new features planned? Thanks

Last edited by tabasco; 03-05-2007 at 07:56 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 03-05-2007, 10:26 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
'08 SLK55 AMG, '23 E63S AMG (soon)
Any idea when the '08s will be available and are there any new features planned? Thanks
I have a 2008 on order, the 2nd one for MY08 from a local dealer on the east coast, and they said to expect late June/early July.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by MDLSLK55
I have a 2008 on order, the 2nd one for MY08 from a local dealer on the east coast, and they said to expect late June/early July.
Are there any changes to the car? Price change?

Thanks
Old 03-05-2007, 01:03 PM

SLK 55 AMG
The facelift is expected for MY2008.

You can use http://babelfish.altavista.com to translate the info found on http://www.mbslk.de/modules.php?name...rticle&sid=748

This is the first 'speculation' that's been done on the facelift. None of this info is 100% certain, and you shouldn't forget that the AMG may differ from the standard model when it comes to the options and possible modifications for the facelift.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:25 PM

Hi All
We will use the car for semi-short trips to the beach or mountains. How is it for 3-4 hour trips?

I know color is subjective, but she wants the Mars Red. We haven't seen one in person and the pictures of this color are rare. Is Mars Red popular here?

Thanks for your help.
Wow! An NSX - I am envious.

My wife and I drove from Germany to Oberni, France and back one Sunday (3 hours each way) in an SLK 350. Was very comfortable - no back issues. We were able to carry on a converstation pretty easily up to about 95 MPH. Once we got faster than that we had to talk louder, which was pretty much most of the trip (you gottal LUV those autobahns!).
If you troll through the picutre tread you will find some very nice pictures of the Firemist Red (Julien, I believe). I have seen the Mars Red in person and it really pops. The Firemist is nice, but just a triffel darker (burgandy) than I'd prefer. Of the two, I like the Mars Red - but personal taste is just that.
I agree with Shin, the CD player is a waste of $. You can get thousands of songs on a DVD or get the iPOD optoin - neiher of these options take up much space. And space is a premium in the SLK.
By the way, how did you like the S2000? How is it as a daily driver?

Hog
Old 03-05-2007, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by SLKHog
By the way, how did you like the S2000? How is it as a daily driver?
Thanks for the great response. The S2000 is a REAL fun car. A true sports car with very little luxury. Man, you put that thing above 5600 RPMs and its a rocket for a 4 banger. It is more tossable than the NSX---easy to jump in and go. Not afraid to park it at a resturant and forget. The NSX is more difficult to just leave in a parking lot.

Would you wait for the '08 SLK AMG? I'm now a little torn.

Thanks
Old 03-05-2007, 05:05 PM

Looking for a new toy.
The SLK55 is a great all - round car. It doesn't do any one thing outstandingly better than a comparable car, but it does to a lot of things very well! We've used ours for long road trips (7-8 hours) and have found the car to be very comfortable the whole time, while managing to carry a decent amount of luggage for two people. The car can coddle you for leisurely Sunday afternoon drives, carrying you sedately along at speeds that allow you to appreciate the scenery. Or it has this Mr. Hyde side that when you want to really romp on it and play, it is more than up to that task as well. Hard top coupe, top down 'vert, sedate cruiser, or hairy performance machine - it does them all!

Re your specific questions: brake squeal - mine went away completely after the break in period; transmission issues - none for me; chronic problems - as already mentioned the AMG version seems to be put together very well. The 5.4L engine has been around a long time and it pretty well bullet proof by this point. To sum up, we are VERY happy with ours and have no regrets with our purchase.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:11 PM

Thanks very much for the response. Like NSXPrime (forum) you guys are very nice and professional. I will let you know what we decide. Rick

Originally Posted by FishtailnZ
The SLK55 is a great all - round car. It doesn't do any one thing outstandingly better than a comparable car, but it does to a lot of things very well! We've used ours for long road trips (7-8 hours) and have found the car to be very comfortable the whole time, while managing to carry a decent amount of luggage for two people. The car can coddle you for leisurely Sunday afternoon drives, carrying you sedately along at speeds that allow you to appreciate the scenery. Or it has this Mr. Hyde side that when you want to really romp on it and play, it is more than up to that task as well. Hard top coupe, top down 'vert, sedate cruiser, or hairy performance machine - it does them all!

Re your specific questions: brake squeal - mine went away completely after the break in period; transmission issues - none for me; chronic problems - as already mentioned the AMG version seems to be put together very well. The 5.4L engine has been around a long time and it pretty well bullet proof by this point. To sum up, we are VERY happy with ours and have no regrets with our purchase.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:58 PM

Shinigami, Thanks for the great response. I didn't know the AMG uses Brembo brakes. They are high-end. Many of my NSX friends have upgraded to Brembo, at a very high price.

Minor squeeking will not bother me. Some of the posts I read sounded like loud squeeking that could not be resolved by the dealer.

That long trip you took sounds like a dream trip. I would like to visit Europe and try a trip like that someday.

Again, thanks for the great response. I will let you know what we do.
Welcome Tobasco, like you I'm in the process of ordering an SLK 55. I am going to wait for the 08. Why don't you consider European Delivery and make that dream trip a reality. I'm planning my trip 1st week of Sept. Also the car is cheaper by taking ED.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by MursBenz
Welcome Tobasco, like you I'm in the process of ordering an SLK 55. I am going to wait for the 08. Why don't you consider European Delivery and make that dream trip a reality. I'm planning my trip 1st week of Sept. Also the car is cheaper by taking ED.
Thanks. Do you know when the 08's are available here? I just told my wife about your suggestion and she loves the idea. I have Dutch ancestory and would love to see Germany and Holland. Do you order the car through a local dealer with ED as an option? Regards
Old 03-05-2007, 07:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Thanks. Do you know when the 08's are available here? I just told my wife about your suggestion and she loves the idea. I have Dutch ancestory and would love to see Germany and Holland. Do you order the car through a local dealer with ED as an option? Regards
They stopped making 07's right about now, you can order 08's but will not know the price (if there's an increase) until a month before you pick up your car. (European Delivery) I think the earliest pickup date is late June, early July, (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I ordered mine beginning of May and pick it up in Sindelfingen on July 25th. SLK55 isn't availabe for ED when I ordered but now they offer 7% off, that's enough money for your european trip. It's a great experience, something you don't want to miss if you can do it. Search the forum for Euro Delivery for tips, things to see and do before you go. Have fun.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:13 PM

Where's here? Your local dealer will setup the European Del. for you. As Ynot described, the car will be approz 7% cheaper. One catch, you must pay for the car upfront as well as a 17.5% VAT tax, which is fully refundable once your car arrives home. Definately checkout other threads that have ED info, they are very informative.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:16 PM

Ynot, how did you find traffic and crowds during July while in Europe?
Old 03-05-2007, 10:33 PM

2007 SLK55 AMG, '02 BMW M3, '01 AUDI S4
i'm a female with a SLK AMG

alabaster white with black/ash two toned interior
Old 03-05-2007, 11:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Originally Posted by MursBenz
Ynot, how did you find traffic and crowds during July while in Europe?
Stuttgart isn't bad, the whole black forest/alps didn't have that much traffic, it wasn't until we got to Bayerischer hof hotel in Munich, it's located right in the heart of Munich, and it was chaotic, plus the Nav system isn't good, it took us in circles, I did three circles before I finally found the hotel. Anyway I'd paid $1,200 for the black forest/alps rally, which I think is very inexpensive for what we got.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:45 AM

SLK 55 AMG
Definitely do the european pickup if you can. You get a nice price cut on the car, and you get a vacation in Europe to boot!

Those owners who have done it, absolutely loved it.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G55 & SLK55
Guys and Gal's, correct me if I am wrong, is it possible to Have Mars Red with AMG Black and Red interior ? I know Canada and America are limited to exterior and interior choices but is it available for European Models ?.

Tabasco try to get what I suggested, Because the Red exterior compliments the Black and Red interior very well.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by alroumi
Guys and Gal's, correct me if I am wrong, is it possible to Have Mars Red with AMG Black and Red interior ? I know Canada and America are limited to exterior and interior choices but is it available for European Models ?.

Tabasco try to get what I suggested, Because the Red exterior compliments the Black and Red interior very well.
According to the MBUSA.com site and the Brouchure I have, Red/Black interior is not available in Mars Red. It is available in Storm Red. Maybe the color of the red leather doesnt look right next to the bright red of Mars Red.

Does anyone have the Black/Ash interior? That is available with Mars Red. How do you think it would look with MR?

Thanks
Old 03-06-2007, 12:16 PM

European Delivery

The best time to come for a pickup would be in June or September. The weather is usually VERY good then. The biggie for avioding Jul & Aug is that is when most of the European schools are out and families take their vacations - it can get quite busy.
Several have suggested to take the Black Forrest package, and I could not agree more. If you miss driving a car like the SLK 55 in Bravaria you will kick yourself big time. Souther Germany is MADE for this car and cameras!
Holland is pretty flat, but pretty and the beer is great too! If you can, swing into France - a whole different flavor.

Good Luck!

Hog

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New to the forum. Have some questions.