SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Break problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 04:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
Smile Break problem

Hello everybody, i had problems with my break squeal and have been in and out of the the dealer a few times now, 1st time they said they change the pads, but still there a lot of squeal. 2nd, they applied some type of coating that lasted only for a few days, but recently they finally checked out that my break discs has warped. "warped?" i said, and they said yes, my advisor laughed and said, "maybe u should slow down, or get the performance break set"

neways so my question out of curiosity,
1.) how many of u had the experience of warping ur break discs?
2.) is the perfermance package neccessary? is the package the so called "030 performance package" i see with other ppl's cars info?

mine is a 06 model, stock

neways thx alot
Old 03-06-2007, 06:41 AM

SLK 55 AMG
Have you been splashing your rims with cold water after driving the car hard? (i.e., with a power washer to clean your car)

I haven't got warped disks, and the only way I can think of this happening is with cold water sprayed on the disks or some very, VERY hard driving. I drive plenty hard but mine are fine. Could have been a defect from the beginning.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:46 AM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
So what's the end result? Are they replacing the discs under warranty or at a cost to you?

I get the brake squeal too. In addition, sometimes it sounds more like a grinding sound than a squeal. The dealership sad its just the compound of the pad, but I'm a little concerned.

I'm contemplating using another manufacturer of pads. I am satisfied with the AMG's performance but would like to reduce both the squealing noise and dust.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:46 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
C63s coupe
Sounds like .. smells like ...

I had bad squeal from 17-3200 miles (standard SLK55 brakes). Three trips to the dealer fixed that. I still get an occasional squeek after a lot of around town driving, but simply using hard to moderate braking pulling up to a stop sign makes that go away.

In my '01 CLK55 I "cooked" the brakes at Infinion raceway and even that did not warp anything. I had to get new pads all around and replace front disks that were worn to the replacement thinness.

I you let them change disks, insist on geting the old parts back (in many states a consumer has a legal right to this, e.g., Kaliforina where I am). I suspect you have a frustrated mechanic that is doing 'diagnostics by replacement.'
Old 03-08-2007, 06:47 PM

2005 SLK55 AMG
As others have said, he doesn't know what he's talking about with the AMG brake setup.

You would have to be tracking the car hard then immediately drive into a river to "warp" them, maybe not even then.

Now if he meant they were scarred/rutted and needed to be turned (or worst case, replaced), that is different. That is from driving with no pads left.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:03 PM

slk 350
I lease an E320. Had brake noise issues at 11,000 miles. They said all four discs were warped. My wife drives the car so I can't see how this could happen. This was not covered by warranty. After arguing like crazy and taking it to MB regional, they agreed to cover the labor. I still had to pay for the discs. They were something like $125 each. As far as I'm concerned, it's complete BS for any disc to warp on a new car, especially an AMG (even more so). The experience has me looking to another manufacturer after the lease. I drive two Mercedes (my other one is SLK350), I would have expected better customer service.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:40 PM

C63
just to clear up stuff

i got the break discs replaced (for the second time) and now i dont have any more problems, at least in cold weather these days, i hope they'll be ok when summer arrives. all replacements and labour is FREEEEEE of charge cus its all under warrenty, their problem not mine
but now im a happy lad
Old 03-10-2007, 10:21 AM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
Originally Posted by bmwnomore
I lease an E320. Had brake noise issues at 11,000 miles. They said all four discs were warped. My wife drives the car so I can't see how this could happen. This was not covered by warranty. After arguing like crazy and taking it to MB regional, they agreed to cover the labor. I still had to pay for the discs. They were something like $125 each. As far as I'm concerned, it's complete BS for any disc to warp on a new car, especially an AMG (even more so). The experience has me looking to another manufacturer after the lease. I drive two Mercedes (my other one is SLK350), I would have expected better customer service.
Question: In addition to the brake squeal, was there any shutter when slowing? I just want to diagnose my problem. I think it's just the front pads, but I could be wrong.
Old 03-11-2007, 02:09 PM

slk 350
Originally Posted by dsb
Question: In addition to the brake squeal, was there any shutter when slowing? I just want to diagnose my problem. I think it's just the front pads, but I could be wrong.
Yes, when the brake was applied, I started feeling a pulsation in the pedal. At first, it was minor, but noticeable. After a while, it was very noticeable. I don't drive the car much, so it was easy to feel the difference each time I drove it. My strong advice if you have any symptoms similar, is get it looked at right away. I waited, figuring I could wait until the next scheduled service. Bad idea. The jackass at mercedes said they would have covered everything under warranty if the mileage was under ten thousand miles (pretty sure that was the number).

I was so pissed at the situation, I only had them replace the two front discs. That pretty much stopped the noise and the pulsation. Once in a while, I can still fell a tiny pulsation under harder braking. I assume because the rears are more involved.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:23 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
Thanks bmwnomore.

I did have it checked (twice) by the dealership. They believed everything was okay. They said I could get new pads at my expense. I declined. I do not feel anything unusual under braking. I only hear the squeal/grinding noise. It does seem to be less now as the weather warms. It's now about 70F outside and the brakes are pretty quiet above 5mph.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:31 AM

SLK 55 AMG
How about buying porterfield pads for testing. Supposedly just as good and won't produce as much dust. If the squeal is still there, you can just sell them to someone else. Pads are not that expensive and I doubt anyone would mind buying pads with a few hundred miles on them (knowing that they can last tens of thousands of miles) if they were sold at a reduction on ebay or so...
Old 03-14-2007, 10:19 PM
dsb
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 slk55
Not a bad idea. Do you know of a good place to buy? What's the cost? Should I be concerned about the pad composition? Will they be too rough on stock rotors?
Old 03-15-2007, 04:33 AM

SLK 55 AMG
You can fire off your questions to the guys at www . for my mercedes . com