SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Will there by an SLK 63? C63 is coming, so why not?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'93 RX-7, SLK55
Originally Posted by Shinigami
30k swiss francs, more like $25k...

That's still quite a bit of cash. I remember asking people on the forums how much they paid for the blower in the US, and it was like $14k without the work. As it's a day or two worth of work to install, the total installation cost is almost $20k, no?

But anyway, the cost of the actual parts are much higher in Europe, sadly enough...

But if the cost of a CLK63 is just 10k (swiss francs, i.e. $8k) over the older 55, then would this be the same for the SLK, and if so, then wouldn't it be smarter to get an 'original' MB?

To each their own, of course...

And you're right, the 55 in the SLK is the same as the 55 in an SL, albeit the SL has an SC on it. No reliability issues on the SL, and most likely none on the SLK with Kleemann's kit.

As far as warranty, well... I guess it depends on the dealer. Some can be shady and will speak you down if they even think that you've modded your car. My dealer is an official Brabus reseller, so they do warranty Brabus stuff, but not Kleemann I would think. I haven't bothered asking, and besides, I'd need to pay another $12k to legalize my engine conversion for Swiss roads (long story).

Oh well...
I dunno. I negotiate for a living so maybe I got a better deal than most . The blower & ECU installed was $14k. I then opted for all the other mods for giggles.

See ya,
-Matt
Old 05-23-2007, 03:40 AM

SLK 55 AMG
Ok, I see, well that indeed is a good price then. I know some other people quoted about 14k for just the blower, and knowing how some people charge a LOT for work (Kleemann in Denmark for example ask several hundred bucks an hour for work!!!) the end price is high.

Oh well...
Old 05-23-2007, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lotus Elise SLK55
Originally Posted by Yellow R1
I dunno. I negotiate for a living so maybe I got a better deal than most . The blower & ECU installed was $14k. I then opted for all the other mods for giggles.

See ya,
-Matt
Are you sure it was 14k? I wander why they are trying to charge me 2,600$ more... maybe I'll go back and negotiate a little too.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:52 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
Originally Posted by Addicted2Speed
Are you sure it was 14k? I wander why they are trying to charge me 2,600$ more... maybe I'll go back and negotiate a little too.
It's been 2 yrs...prices rise & I negotiated? As such, I remain a loyal & happy Kleemann customer. Besides, not all Kleemann installers charge the exact same rate (installers have different hourly rates, overhead costs, margin requirements at differing times, leverage w/Kleemann, etc, etc).

See ya,
-Matt
Old 05-24-2007, 10:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 Hyundai Elantra GLS
There is almost certainly going to be a SLK 63. I read a comment from one of the AMG engineers a while back commenting that the engine fits in the SLK bay, as the bay is shared with the CLK.

Taking weights off of the SLK or any other Mercedes takes a bit of what makes them a Mercedes in the first place.

The 63 engine fits the SLK persona far more than a blown 55, in my opinion. The car would be a killer, traction would be superb, and performance very devastating. Only problem is it will need a proper manual transmission, and I am not sure they have yet one that can handle that much force.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:21 PM

SLK55
Originally Posted by Ferri
Only problem is it will need a proper manual transmission, and I am not sure they have yet one that can handle that much force.
AMGs and Manual Transmissions.
Never had it, never will.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:27 PM

SLK 55 AMG
Head of AMG did mention that they're developing a clutchless manual gearbox, i.e. a F1 style gearbox.

That would be quite nice, but how long would the clutch last? Look at Ferrari's and Lamborghini's with gearboxes like these. The clutch needs to be replaced every 5000 miles in some cases =\

Depends on the driving style of course, but I know one guy with a Murgielago, where he's changes the clutch like every 3000miles... OUCH! That's a very expensive job as well since it requires taking out the engine.

Would probably be much cheaper on an MB, but the frequence is off putting.

With a standard manual, you'd need to baby the car... Let's not forget that AMG's have a LOT of torque, much more so then most Ferrari's for example. So clutch wear is a real issue for the average MB owner who seeks reliability/durability.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:43 PM

Nothing right now- am in college.
Originally Posted by Shinigami
Head of AMG did mention that they're developing a clutchless manual gearbox, i.e. a F1 style gearbox.

That would be quite nice, but how long would the clutch last?
Eh? Explain.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:13 AM

SLK 55 AMG
No clutch pedal, that's what I meant. Still a manual with dual clutches in the actual gearbox as seen in DSG, SMG, etc...
Old 06-22-2007, 06:19 PM
Almost a Member!

Or if money isn't an option...

Wait for the 63 buy it and then put a blower on that, that would be nice. I'm just trying to decide between a 335i coupe or a 2006 SLK55. Also which of my cars do I seel to make room, the TT or the 2001 S4?
Old 06-22-2007, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
hmmm

get rid of the TT and get the SLK.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:35 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by SLK55R
get rid of the TT and get the SLK.
I am begining to lean that way seeing as I am liking the SLK more and more, but I was gonna do the big turbo upgrade to the TT and sell the S4 then mod the 335i, it was just 2 weeks ago that I started thinking maybe the SLK would be a good idea but if that is what I do I can't have two small cars so I'd have to keep the S4 which is already stage 3. IDK
Old 06-23-2007, 05:26 AM

SLK 55 AMG
Originally Posted by AFbb2001
Wait for the 63 buy it and then put a blower on that, that would be nice. I'm just trying to decide between a 335i coupe or a 2006 SLK55. Also which of my cars do I seel to make room, the TT or the 2001 S4?
I *cough* raced *cough* a 335i on the highway, and whipped his ***.

Having said that, the 335i is a fast car, and it does have 4 seats.

These are two very different vehicles tho', you need to weigh the positive and negative aspects of each. I'd say, the 335i probably has more positives going for it (can seat more, can hold more stuff in the trunk, probably gets more gas mileage, is a newer car overall), but the SLK does have the convertible roof and the sportiveness (and I rate those two quite high), plus IMO it also looks better.

Still, you wouldn't go wrong with either.