SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

R171 -> 911 or SL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK55
911 vs SLK55

Yes, more shifting in a 911 along with more road and wind noise.... I still prefer the SLK55 for a dd. My only disappointment with the SLK55 is the cowl shake over rough roads....
Old 06-12-2007, 10:46 PM

SLK55
911 vs SLK55

Yellow R1 I like both of your rides. I have a 94 R2 with mods and to date it has been my favorite track car...... You have the best of both worlds.....
Old 06-13-2007, 12:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SLK 55 07
Originally Posted by Yellow R1
The SLK55 is absolutely a sports car (V8, rear wheel drive, 2 seats, 18"/19" rims/Z rated tires, big/competent brakes, and it handles well...actually within 2 hundredths of athe Carrera's slalom trap). The car does everything very well and doesn't need to work hard to extract most of its performance (low end torque & a well balanced chassis). The ONLY drawback/criticism may be it lacks a manual tranny option (but 88% of Ferrari's are sold with the paddle shift as are 911s with the Tiptronic so..... for "most" sports car buyers, it's not a deal breaker....they are buying manual/auto boxes in the competitor's cars as well).
So what is the bigger sport car will be your choice beside R171 AMG
Old 06-13-2007, 12:11 AM

SLK 55 07
Originally Posted by AMG_55
not at all, i shift more for pleasure (i know, im a weirdo) than out of necessity. the S motor has a lot of punch all over the rev range, not v8 punch, but definitely more than enough for daily driving. and once youre anywhere near redline its FAST, not 55k fast but almost. ive ran an e55, cls55 and cls63 and on all those runs i was dead even up to about 70, after that the v8's slowly pull.

Man can you post your 997s pic for me. How is the ride inside for daily compare to SLK ? and which cost you much on service ?

Em.... any reply will be appreciated
Old 06-13-2007, 01:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
hmmm

Originally Posted by lontong
Porsche 997 TT (yes I'd trade up)
Porsche 997 GT3RS (yes I'd trade up)
Porsche 997 GT3 (maybe)
Corvette Z06 (wait a year and get the Z07) ( and no I wouldn't)
Dodge Viper (no I wouldn't)
Audi R8 (I'd wait for the v10)
Lambo's (I'd take a gallardo s.)
Ferrari's (F430 or 559 sure!)

Upcoming cars :
New NSX
New Skyline
New Supra
New Lexus Super car

But for me ... I wouldn't do the 997 4S or 997 2S. But thats just me.

do you need more?
Old 06-13-2007, 02:06 AM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
A "bigger" sports car to me is an oxymoron. The smaller/lighter the car, the more of a sports car it becomes (for me at least). It all depends on what you want. If you do indeed want it "bigger", you can opt for:
A) a nice cruiser like an SL, or
B) more of a true sport car like a Z06 (low cost), or
C) a Murci (built better than the Z), or
D) a "crossver" between a cruiser (A) and a pure sports car (C) = SLR

Good luck with your hunt & purchase.

MJET, thanks. They get me from point A to point B.

Jesse, I like your list. Nice cars.

-Matt
Old 06-13-2007, 02:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

heh

Yeah too bad I don't own them all!
Old 06-13-2007, 03:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I personally chose an SLK55 over SL55 and 997S; however, if I had the money, I would pick SL65 or 997TT/GT3RS over SLK55. In addition, I would obviously trade it for an exotic sports car like: gallardo, F430, or Ford GT (who wouldn't?). As far as Z06 and Viper... I'm not impressed by either one.

Last edited by Tuskir; 06-13-2007 at 03:27 AM.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:26 AM

SLK 55 07
A "bigger" sports car to me is an oxymoron. The smaller/lighter the car, the more of a sports car it becomes (for me at least). It all depends on what you want. If you do indeed want it "bigger", you can opt for:
A) a nice cruiser like an SL, or
B) more of a true sport car like a Z06 (low cost), or
C) a Murci (built better than the Z), or
D) a "crossver" between a cruiser (A) and a pure sports car (C) = SLR

Good luck with your hunt & purchase.

MJET, thanks. They get me from point A to point B.

Jesse, I like your list. Nice cars.

-Matt

I think im only can purchase your A opt.

I ask alot in porsche forum and they give many information.

I need compare that so im not buying a engine back home just for the emblem.

Anyway thk's man you'r my best
Old 06-13-2007, 03:32 AM

SLK 55 07
Originally Posted by SLK55R
Yeah too bad I don't own them all!
Yeah thk's man, you make me clear.

Mayb i just wait for the new SL next gen.

You know what, i used to compare Cayman S b4 bought my SLK

Tell the truth, the last point i go for SLK is hardtop convertible, if not mayb i go for Cayman S

But yeah, just need some big *** car now.

This been a good conversation and again thks dude
Old 06-13-2007, 03:34 AM

SLK 55 07
Thks for everybody advice

Best Forum !!
Old 06-13-2007, 05:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
The SLK55 is absolutely a sports car (V8, rear wheel drive, 2 seats, 18"/19" rims/Z rated tires, big/competent brakes, and it handles well...actually within 2 hundredths of athe Carrera's slalom trap). The car does everything very well and doesn't need to work hard to extract most of its performance (low end torque & a well balanced chassis). The ONLY drawback/criticism may be it lacks a manual tranny option (but 88% of Ferrari's are sold with the paddle shift as are 911s with the Tiptronic so..... for "most" sports car buyers, it's not a deal breaker....they are buying manual/auto boxes in the competitor's cars as well).
our opinions differ on what a sports car is, the slk is compromised b/c its a conv. also, sports cars shouldnt have any compromises, especially structural. manual tranny is a must have, auto porsches arent sports cars. sports cars must also be able to involve the driver and make you part of the car, ive NEVER felt that in any mb, only in my e36 m3 and my 997S
thats ALL IMO of course, not trying to argue, just stating my opinion

what magazine are you getting the slalom figures from?
i believe a 997S pulls averages over 70 mph in the slalom and pulls .98 lateral g's on teh skidpad
Old 06-13-2007, 05:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Man can you post your 997s pic for me. How is the ride inside for daily compare to SLK ? and which cost you much on service ?

Em.... any reply will be appreciated
yeah, no problem, im not at home right now so i dont have "pics" with me, but ill post a link to my pics and you can see my car, its the first car, my name is the same on there; AMG_55

my car is lowered with H&R springs and has no mufflers at all, its a little bit hardcore for most people. stock the car had just as good a ride, if not better, as my clk55 on 19in hre's (light wheels=better ride, thats why i put the brand).

funny that you ask about service.....

knock on wood, i havent been to the dealer yet, in 10,8xxmi. i had an oil change and a more aggresive alignment done at lucent in LA and they charged 150$ for the alignment and $150 (i think, might have been 100) for the oil change. the ****in rear tires are $494 a piece but mine lasted 9,xxx mi and i drive harder than 99% of the people on the street, much harder

here are the link to the pics and ill link a few vid too
enjoy....

pics:
http://www.mymbonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=133
(the 1st post and then scroll down a little and there are some more)

http://mymbonline.com/forum/viewtopi...nally+debadged

vids:
http://video.google.com/googleplayer...21473267665515

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPKeyOQvAO4

http://mymbonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1656
Old 06-13-2007, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Lotus Elise SLK55
our opinions differ on what a sports car is, the slk is compromised b/c its a conv. also, sports cars shouldnt have any compromises, especially structural. manual tranny is a must have, auto porsches arent sports cars. sports cars must also be able to involve the driver and make you part of the car, ive NEVER felt that in any mb, only in my e36 m3 and my 997S

i believe a 997S pulls averages over 70 mph in the slalom and pulls .98 lateral g's on teh skidpad
Every SLK55 review I've read claimed it was a sports car, so the majority of people would agree that is. Convertible or non-manual does not make it any less of a sports car. Handling wise, 997S is not that much better IMO and I've driven both before deciding to go with SLK55. Skidpad and cornering G's are again, very close. If you drive mostly on the street, I would personally prefer a front-engined car that is less prone to oversteer. 997S is not even that much lighter. If you want a real "driver's" sports car, neither of them fits the bill... get something like a lotus exige or GT3:RS. Newer 911's are more of a GT/Sports car, as is the SLK55.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:58 PM

'93 RX-7, SLK55

Hey, no "arguement taken". It's Ok to debate/trade opinions.

I also agree with Addicted....a 427 Cobra is a Vert & it's the quintisential sports car. In fact, I'd suggest that in a vert...the driver is that much more connected to his car & surrounding (you can see more & hear the engine & surroundings even better....such as the V8 echoing through a canyon ). Is it as aggressive as a "track car"? Maybe only slightly less......I see vert Cobra's & Vette's @ the Laguna Seca Historics every year (and trust me....they are full race prepped track cars).

I'm at work ....I'll advise the mag later. The SLK55 was 68.6mph & the 911 Carerras at 68.8 mph...it was that close. The SLK55 handles very well.....and that was not with the firmer 030 firmer suspension option (which would be even quicker). The car tracks very well - people don't realize it because the cars are so rare (only 1k/yr are produced of which how many are really tracked & driven to create the "awareness" of say, a 911....which has been around since dirt ). Heck, Ferrai builds ~ 4k F430 cars per year...4X the quantity of SLK55s. SLK55s are pretty rare cars in comparison. C-ya.

-Matt

Last edited by Yellow R1; 06-13-2007 at 10:00 PM.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by Addicted2Speed
Every SLK55 review I've read claimed it was a sports car, so the majority of people would agree that is. Convertible or non-manual does not make it any less of a sports car. Handling wise, 997S is not that much better IMO and I've driven both before deciding to go with SLK55. Skidpad and cornering G's are again, very close. If you drive mostly on the street, I would personally prefer a front-engined car that is less prone to oversteer. 997S is not even that much lighter. If you want a real "driver's" sports car, neither of them fits the bill... get something like a lotus exige or GT3:RS. Newer 911's are more of a GT/Sports car, as is the SLK55.

well, as i said, thats my opinion

if you say handling wise the 997 isnt much better than you havent got anywhere near its limits ive driven a slk55 on a track and i have no doubt in my mind that with the same driver in both cars, the 997s will be MUCH faster, the cornering speeds in this car are way beyond what normal people can comprehend, im doing 10+mph more through any given corner than what was possible in my clk55. and im better at front engined rear drive cars a base 997s is right around 3000lbs even, thats much lighter. so you consider your elise not a sports car? gt3 rs is no more of a sports car than a gt3 why must it be a rs? i agree, stock 997s is not a gt3 (hardcore sports car) but it is the best compromise on the market today, and its more of a sports car than any bmw, mb, audi etc.....
Old 06-13-2007, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Hey, no "arguement taken". It's Ok to debate/trade opinions.

I also agree with Addicted....a 427 Cobra is a Vert & it's the quintisential sports car. In fact, I'd suggest that in a vert...the driver is that much more connected to his car & surrounding (you can see more & hear the engine & surroundings even better....such as the V8 echoing through a canyon ). Is it as aggressive as a "track car"? Maybe only slightly less......I see vert Cobra's & Vette's @ the Laguna Seca Historics every year (and trust me....they are full race prepped track cars).

I'm at work ....I'll advise the mag later. The SLK55 was 68.6mph & the 911 Carerras at 68.8 mph...it was that close. The SLK55 handles very well.....and that was not with the firmer 030 firmer suspension option (which would be even quicker). The car tracks very well - people don't realize it because the cars are so rare (only 1k/yr are produced of which how many are really tracked & driven to create the "awareness" of say, a 911....which has been around since dirt ). Heck, Ferrai builds ~ 4k F430 cars per year...4X the quantity of SLK55s. SLK55s are pretty rare cars in comparison. C-ya.

-Matt
ok, i admit it, i went too far w/ the conv. thing
some conv. are sports cars, boxster comes to mind.
so here, ill myself for you.
its just after driving any mb, i dont get the satisfaction that i do driving a porsche or an m bmw.

i drove a slk55 at the amg challenge and, on the track, in the slalom etc....
its great car, fast, comfortable (not for me though, im a fat *** ) i just dont feel as much a part of the car as i do in more focused drivers cars
hope that makes sense. again, not to take anything away from the slk55, its a revelation for amg, i was very happy when i found out about it and after i drove my gf's slk350 in the canyon i was very excited for mb and amg b/c they have built a truly fantstic chassis. if only there was more driver interaction/feel and a stick shift option, i might be driving a slk55 right now
Old 06-13-2007, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

hmmm

Are Porsches on a diet? The base for a 997S is over 3100lbs and with some decent options go up over 3200lbs. Shrug. Please don't compare your previous CLK55 to an SLK55. I used to have a couple CLK's and its not even close.

Personally I also think that stock the 997S coupe handles better ... but to be honest I needed more power. And for the Price of Renntech SLK55 I can only buy a 997S with the options I wanted. The biggest difference is I blow 997S out of the water(Honestly its not even close). After doing the LW Rims and much wider tires ... it certainly can hang with a 997S.

Now lets keep in mind we are comparing the coupe to the SLK55. If we compared the convertible 997S the difference would be even more apparent.

AMG55 I bet if it came with a slick 6 speed you might have picked up one!
Old 06-13-2007, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Lotus Elise SLK55
well, as i said, thats my opinion

if you say handling wise the 997 isnt much better than you havent got anywhere near its limits ive driven a slk55 on a track and i have no doubt in my mind that with the same driver in both cars, the 997s will be MUCH faster, the cornering speeds in this car are way beyond what normal people can comprehend, im doing 10+mph more through any given corner than what was possible in my clk55. and im better at front engined rear drive cars a base 997s is right around 3000lbs even, thats much lighter. so you consider your elise not a sports car? gt3 rs is no more of a sports car than a gt3 why must it be a rs? i agree, stock 997s is not a gt3 (hardcore sports car) but it is the best compromise on the market today, and its more of a sports car than any bmw, mb, audi etc.....
I was saying that handling wise, the 997S is not that much better on the street at 7/10-8/10 driving. 997S is going to have more grip at the limit and does provide more feedback to the driver, but driving both cars on the street, I couln't push either one far enough to notice these differences. If you're going to track your car a lot, obviously 997S is a better choice. If I'm driving mostly on the street, I'd rather have a torquier V8 in the front.

Weight wise, 997S is closer to 3,300lbs, it is nowhere near 3,000lbs. If you look at the recent C@D comparison of GT3/ExigeS/Z06... the GT3 weighed in at 3,240lbs... so the realistic weight of 997S w/ gas is closer to 3,300lbs (the offical dry weight of a manual 997S is 3,131lbs).

I also agree with SLK55R regarding the price of a 997S. You're looking at almost 100k out the door with good options. I don't think a 355hp V6 is worth a hundred grand period.. regardless of how good the chassis is.

Last edited by Addicted2Speed; 06-13-2007 at 10:50 PM.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
I don't think a 355hp V6 is worth a hundred grand period.. regardless of how good the chassis is.
Flat-6
Old 06-14-2007, 02:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by SLK55R
Are Porsches on a diet? The base for a 997S is over 3100lbs and with some decent options go up over 3200lbs. Shrug. Please don't compare your previous CLK55 to an SLK55. I used to have a couple CLK's and its not even close.

Personally I also think that stock the 997S coupe handles better ... but to be honest I needed more power. And for the Price of Renntech SLK55 I can only buy a 997S with the options I wanted. The biggest difference is I blow 997S out of the water(Honestly its not even close). After doing the LW Rims and much wider tires ... it certainly can hang with a 997S.

Now lets keep in mind we are comparing the coupe to the SLK55. If we compared the convertible 997S the difference would be even more apparent.

AMG55 I bet if it came with a slick 6 speed you might have picked up one!
these days its rare to find a production sports car w/ all the luxuries you get in an amg and a low weight, the 997S was really the only car that fit that

i also considered an nsx, rs4 and z06.
thought for a second about a slk55 too, cant lie

i dont enjoy drag racing really, i dont mind losing, it doesnt really depend on the driver, just gotta shift fast. i prefer canyon/twisty driving, and its (997s) is perfect for that purpose

it's just hardcore (feel/presicion etc...) enough for me for everyday driving. i drive 1500- 2000mi a month

now if amg slk black had a manual and was 80-90,000$ then it would have been a VERY VERY tough choice

Last edited by AMG_55; 06-14-2007 at 04:14 AM. Reason: horrible misspell
Old 06-14-2007, 02:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
I couln't push either one far enough to notice these differences
i can

Weight wise, 997S is closer to 3,300lbs, it is nowhere near 3,000lbs. If you look at the recent C@D comparison of GT3/ExigeS/Z06... the GT3 weighed in at 3,240lbs... so the realistic weight of 997S w/ gas is closer to 3,300lbs (the offical dry weight of a manual 997S is 3,131lbs).

I also agree with SLK55R regarding the price of a 997S. You're looking at almost 100k out the door with good options. I don't think a 355hp V6 is worth a hundred grand period.. regardless of how good the chassis is.
it "feels" much lighter than a slk55, ive driven one on the track, as i said. its a LOT more nimble and the turn in much nicer/crisper. as i said, both cars have + and -. this is just what i prefer.

as for price..... if a toyota engined car is worth 50000 then a porsche with a very efficient n/a flat 6 is definitely worth >90,000. mine was right under 100,000 and i have all the good options, adaptive sport seats, navi, ss kit, sport chrono, cocoa full leather interior (priceless )
Old 06-14-2007, 03:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Guys, check this out

https://mbworld.org/forums/kill-stories/197830-video-700hp-chevy-pickup-v-997s-video.html
Old 06-14-2007, 03:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2001 S500 Sport "Klaus"
Originally Posted by FishtailnZ
Enjoy what you have, the grass rarely is greener on the other side
what he said. as someone who changes cars about as often as i change the radio station, i should know. took awhile (and many dollars flushed down the tubes) to learn, but i've arrived at my ultimate goldilocks car, so i think i'm done. i hope so, at any rate...
Old 06-14-2007, 04:07 AM

'93 RX-7, SLK55
ok, i admit it, i went too far w/ the conv. thing
some conv. are sports cars, boxster comes to mind.
so here, ill myself for you.
its just after driving any mb, i dont get the satisfaction that i do driving a porsche or an m bmw.

i drove a slk55 at the amg challenge and, on the track, in the slalom etc....
its great car, fast, comfortable (not for me though, im a fat *** ) i just dont feel as much a part of the car as i do in more focused drivers cars
hope that makes sense. again, not to take anything away from the slk55, its a revelation for amg, i was very happy when i found out about it and after i drove my gf's slk350 in the canyon i was very excited for mb and amg b/c they have built a truly fantstic chassis. if only there was more driver interaction/feel and a stick shift option, i might be driving a slk55 right now

No need for the self slap....you just like the 911S more. It has the traits you appreciate more than the SLK55. Different strokes - different folks. Cheers.

-Matt

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: R171 -> 911 or SL