SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

AM V8 Vantage/Sale or Tradein in Oz

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 07:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 SLK55, '00 Porsche Boxster
AM V8 Vantage/Sale or Tradein in Oz

Been having ongoing troubles with my 55. Currently its been in REHAB for a week and a half and I am unsure how long it will be before it comes back, hopefully sorted out?!? I have been stuck driving an A170 loan car which is annoying the hell out of me. Am considering selling/trading in since my probs dont seem to be able to be fixed. Has anyone in Oz sold or traded a 55 about 1 yr old with about 11000km? If so, any idea how much I could trade/sell for?
I am thinking of the Aston V8 Vantage. Anyone driven it? If so, what is it like compared to the 55?
Thanks!
Old 07-17-2007, 10:42 AM
WAY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
997.2 GT3, E90 M3
AMV8 owner here in Melbourne. I don't own a SLK55 though, so I can't really compare. I have test driven the SLK55 7 speed before, and must say that I was impressed by it. It has a lot of power, but handling wise the AMV8 is a much better handling car. I also owned a 997 and Boxster S so I can give you a better comparison to those two cars.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:10 AM

Would love to hear your thoughts re: AMV8 vs 997 vs Boxster S. I was choosing between selling the Boxster and buying the 997 or AMV8, or keeping the boxster and buying the SLK55. I have not driven the AMV8, but I did find the 997 - at least on my test drive - to be much more responsive than the 55. I like the sound and the look of the 55 more though. However I decided now that I really want the Vantage as I think it is just beautiful...
Old 07-18-2007, 11:57 AM
WAY

997.2 GT3, E90 M3
Relative to the 997, the AMV8 is a very sporty GT. To me, the Porsche is a much better sports car, but with that you also get stiffer ride in town. The AMV8 has great balance, even with the big V8 in front (it's behind the front axel though), so on the track it is often quicker than a 997. However the 997 has better traction out of corners due to all the weight at the rear. Around town, the Aston lacks low down torque, probably due to longer gearing relative to the 997. The Porsche feels faster on the road.

Relative to the Boxster S, the 997 is a lot more responsive and quicker, but you probably know that already. Comparing to the AMV8, the Boxster S does not have the power. But that is about all it lacks. It does everything else briliantly. I am a fan of the Boxster S.

There are 2 things that the Aston is head and shoulder above the Porsches. Sound and looks. Porsches are also getting very common. If you want something special, and something that has more presence than any Porsche bar the Carrera GT, go with the Aston.

I have had my AMV8 for almost 2 months now, and it is brilliant. Gives me the special feeling everytime I climb on board it. However it isn't a car I would want to track. Btw, I may need to get rid of it in a few months due to the impending arrival of our first little one. Maybe you want to wait till then to talk to me about a very slightly used AMV8 and save yourself some money! (but I am still in negotiation with the missus to keep it )
Old 07-19-2007, 08:26 AM

Thanks for your comparison!
I loved the test drive of my 55 more than any other car I took out. Although in my humble opinion it didnt have the maneuverability of the Boxster S, Cayman or C2, I still just loved the grunt, the 4 tailpipes, and the forward ooomph when I put my foot down. I found the Porsches too clinical. They are fantastic sports cars, I agree, but I think lack that - how do I put it? Rumble? of the V8 in the 55. The hard top convertable was the clincher for me at the time.

What are the specs on the AMV8 that you have? I am soooo interested in getting one. I regret not buying the AMV8 in the first place, although to be honest I did love my 55 until my current problems. I still dont have it back from the dealer and am unsure about when I will see it again I don't get the special feeling that you do in your car when I sit in the 55, but the sound of the car, and the straight line acceleration are fantastic. If you are serious about the sale of yours, I would very much look at it if it is a colour range that I would also love too. Send me a private message about how much etc.... So, what would the Mrs want to get instead?
Old 07-19-2007, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65
I don't think it's possible to get that 'special feeling' from any mercedes except an SLR. They're just so common now a days. However they do make some unique and intereting vehicles that no one else does and that is what attacts me to them. The E55 is a monster of a sedan, lots of giggles to drive and in a league its own in many regards. The SLK55 with the conv hartop and V8 is also lots of fun to drive and no one else has anything like it. From a purely vehicle perspice both are uinque in what they bring to the table, however they're fairly common vehicles and not anything really 'special' being so mass marketed and produced.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:27 AM
WAY

997.2 GT3, E90 M3
Originally Posted by smileone96
Thanks for your comparison!
I loved the test drive of my 55 more than any other car I took out. Although in my humble opinion it didnt have the maneuverability of the Boxster S, Cayman or C2, I still just loved the grunt, the 4 tailpipes, and the forward ooomph when I put my foot down. I found the Porsches too clinical. They are fantastic sports cars, I agree, but I think lack that - how do I put it? Rumble? of the V8 in the 55. The hard top convertable was the clincher for me at the time.

What are the specs on the AMV8 that you have? I am soooo interested in getting one. I regret not buying the AMV8 in the first place, although to be honest I did love my 55 until my current problems. I still dont have it back from the dealer and am unsure about when I will see it again I don't get the special feeling that you do in your car when I sit in the 55, but the sound of the car, and the straight line acceleration are fantastic. If you are serious about the sale of yours, I would very much look at it if it is a colour range that I would also love too. Send me a private message about how much etc.... So, what would the Mrs want to get instead?
Here are some pics of my car. It's a pretty highly spec car.

Spec:
2007 Ghillies Green 6 speed
19 inch Anthracite wheels
Parliament Green Leather
Moon shadow Leather
Moon shadow headlining
Parliament green carpet
Satnav
memory seats
Powerfold exterior mirrors
Cruise control
Fine stitching
Heated front seats
Xenon
Bright finish grille
Red brake calipers
Bluetooth phone prep
Battery conditioner
700W Dolby Pro Logic 2 sound system
Upgraded alarm

As for what the missus wants, I think she would be happy with a SUV. I have tested the ML63 but the interior is just a bit cheap for my liking. If the M5 wagon was available in Australia I would have bought one. So really I have no idea what to get if I get rid of the Aston.