SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK 55 or SLK 350 manual

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
porsche 911
porsche to benz, I am not sure about Capri blue it seems to be lighter and shifts into a peps-ish blue at daylight. The above example of an 08 SLK55 is Benotite Blue or Caspian as they call it in the U.S/Can Ordering guide.

Hmmm. caspian blue looks sorts of on the greenish side. That car is solid blue, sort of a lighter shade than caspian..Benotite blue isn't an option on the MB website.

I wonder why they show and specifically mention the 5 twinspoke rims on the MB website if they don't offer them in the U.S.... The rims would represent a fair amount of the $6500 P30 package cost. If no new rims, $6500 for brakes and suspension seems steep, no?

Is the digital automatic climate control worth the money?

Last edited by porschetobenz; 09-25-2007 at 09:50 AM.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:49 AM

'12 ML350
Originally Posted by porschetobenz
I wonder why they show and specifically mention the 5 twinspoke rims on the MB website if they don't offer them in the U.S.... The rims would represent a fair amount of the $6500 P30 package cost. If no new rims, $6500 for brakes and suspension seems steep, no?
Check out www.prestigemb.com and look on their new car inventory, they have one IS SLK55 with the 030 package in their showroom and there are several pictures - it shows the 5 armed twin spoke design which is standard on the 030 package.

When I leased my E63, I had the choice of the 030 package and it included a different wheel design and added alcantara to the steering wheel; but more importantly, it added an LSD and elevated the top speed limit to 186 MPH. Since I'm not taking the E63 to the track, I didn't see the value in leasing one with that package.

FWIW, if I was leasing/buying an SLK55, I would not add the 030 package unless they had one in inventory with everything else I'd want on it. I actually like the multispoke design of the 'normal' SLK55.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:04 PM

porsche 911
I hear ya rkao. thanks for opining...but a lot of folks seems to have squeaky brakes with the regular brakes but not with the larger P30 brakes.....i'm not taking it to the track either. that is why i am hoping to get more opinions on the pros/cons of laying out $6500 for it. but you did say you'd get the P30 if they had it in inventory with everything else you wanted. i don't understand why you'd pay $6500 for it if you didn't see the benefits. is that a shoulder shrug acceptance due to getting the car you wanted faster? did you get the digital climate control? it looks nice but $800 nice?.....
Old 09-25-2007, 12:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Debadged 6-Speed '05 C320 Sports Coupe
The BMW route is the path I'm leaning towards for my next ride. The 135 will be available in the spring and has okay styling, good performance, size and a manual transmission.

The most reasonable explanation for the MBUSA prohibition on performance vehicles with manual transmission is genetic. “Motorists” in the US currently have insufficient appendages. It is likely that deficiency will exist for several thousand more years. How could MBUSA be reasonably expected to import a vehicle requiring a free hand to operate when the existing appendages have long since been consumed manipulating: cell phones; newspapers; compact discs; iPODs; makeup application; follicle orientation; assorted rummaging; checking for loose change and extra-vehicular communication.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:37 PM

Looking for a new toy.
There are many ways to "fun" with a performance car - it's not all in the transmission. I too had nothing but manuals for x number of years til picking up the SLK55, and it's been FUN in capitol letters ever since *L*. Of course it would be preferable to have a decent manual box in there, but the auto doesn't detract too much from the overall experience of driving the car. Every time you nail the throttle, whether in a straight line, or powersliding your way round a turn just for ****s and giggles, well it's ALL fun! And then there's that glorious rumbling V8 exhaust note overriding all!

But the best advice I can give, is to test drive them both back to back and see which one best fits your own definition of "fun"!

Fun = whooping *** on a buddies modded Camaro SS at the track http://youtube.com/watch?v=Np3lLiaf3k8

Last edited by FishtailnZ; 09-25-2007 at 01:39 PM.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:25 PM

'12 ML350
...but you did say you'd get the P30 if they had it in inventory with everything else you wanted. i don't understand why you'd pay $6500 for it if you didn't see the benefits. is that a shoulder shrug acceptance due to getting the car you wanted faster? did you get the digital climate control? it looks nice but $800 nice?.....
Should clarify that I do not have an SLK55 but if I were to get one, then YES I'd definitely want the digital climate control as a nod to a modern convenience that I've learned not to live without.

As for the question about taking a car with the P30 option if that's all the had in the inventory with all the other options I'd want, the answer is a resounding YES...I have the patience of a young child (ask my wife!) when it comes to taking home a toy I want. So if that's all they had and I could negotiate a bit of a deal as I had on my E63 for taking something from inventory and probably on the 30th or the 31st of the month, then I can learn to live with the P30 package if I could take it home today or tomorrow.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:28 AM

porsche 911
Thank you

Thanks to everyone for their opinions. I have a very good idea of what to do. I'll take rkaos advice and wait until the 30th. now the thinking out loud question is, lease or buy. and 2007 vs. 2008, since they are identical, right. i get the feeling from some of the posters that the 2009 year model could be a SLK 63? Thus a lease you can get of would be nice. Seems like buying a 2008 might not be the best financial move. hmmm. what to do.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:07 AM

SLK 55 AMG
Buy second hand then, it's the most financially smart choice. Low mileage 55's can be had for significant cost savings in some place.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:59 AM

porsche 911
thank you shinigami, oh wise one......i'll look into a 2007 if i can get one in caspian blue. now the thing is, i need a car now, but knowing that an SLK 63 will be out next m.y., would i take a bigger hit getting out of a lease or trading in a purchased car for the SLK 63.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:23 PM

SLK 55 AMG
An SLK63 has not been confirmed, it has even been denied at times. We don't know if it's coming out for MY09.

You can wait, but if you do, when will we know that a 6.2 liter version is offered? The truth is, if it is, there'll be a bunch of us who will want to upgrade, and unless you're first in line, you'll end up waiting EVEN longer for your car. It could be you wouldn't be seeing it until summer of 09 (some 20 moths from now).

Can you wait?

It's like computers. You can wait for the next thing to come out, and when it does, another even better model will be announced. If you never take the plunge, you'll never have the object you desire...

Buying outright is the cheapest way to get a car. Lease always costs you more in the end. If you've got a Porsche and can sell it off for a good price, you'll be able to afford a second hand SLK55 AMG. During the next 1-2 years, you would be enjoying your new car, and if for some reason MB does announce a 63 version, you would have a good idea if you still want to own an SLK for the next 3 or 5 years. If you do, then you can negotiate a price where you put your current SLK in as a downpayment for your order of a 63, and when it does come out, you can pay the rest out of your pocket, or take it on a very cheap lease for a few more years.

But I'm sure you can figure out all kinds of scenarios that fit your budget and car ownership mentality.

I have to say I'm extremely happy with my SLK. I had a 1998 230K (the old model SLK) for almost 3 years (bought it second hand), and when I Drove the 55, I just couldn't resist selling my old one (got a fair amount of cash for it since it had a load of Brabus mods as can be seen in my signature), and I got the SLK. It's gonna be 3 years this November that I drove away with my 55 for the first time, and I don't regret it.

BUT, one also has to wonder if 3 years is a limit of ownership, during which one wishes to go and look for a new ride. Well, I don't think so. Every year, I just kinda decide that I wanna keep this car for a longer time. I'll surely keep it until end of next year.

My dream would be to have a Ferrari 360 Modena (manual), but NOT as my only car. If I could, I'd have one along with the SLK. That would be cool.

But I'm thinking of marrying my girlfriend, and if this happens, along with the wedding bells and all that brouhaha, I'd need to begin investing in a sensible car to haul the kids in.

Having said that, it would NOT be my DD. I would still keep a two seater convertible sports car as my DD, and I'd much rather sell my GF's current car to make way for a nice MB sedan.

As I've said, if you haven't had a go in one yet, go test drive it, and if you like what you see, begin scouring the classifieds and dealer networks. If you're very strict about your choice (i.e. I'll only get it if it has X color), then it'll be a lot harder for you to get the car of your choice. A little flexibility might be a good thing...

For a good choice of info, I suggest you go to www.mbslk.de (a German website... you can use babelfish.altavista.com to translate it to english), and go visit the galleries of the R171 (codename for the current SLK). Here's a shortcut: http://www.mbslk.de/modules.php?op=m...showgall&gid=7

This page has photos of just about all the colors you can get. Enjoy the galleries as it'll give you a good idea of what to expect.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:52 PM

porsche 911
Thanks for your thoughtful post Shinigami. much appreciated..... man, i've learned so much these past few days. What I do know is the caspian blue SLK 55 is one beautiful car. That's the car and color I want. My porsche was a lease and it's been given back. I'm renting a volkswagon jetta y'all. ...so, what i have to consider is buying a caspian blue 2007 SLK 55 AMG or a 2008 if they don't have a 2007. Caspian blue all the way. ...

What you said about computers and waiting is of couse very true. I'm ready to go. After driving the jetta automatic, i'll probably be overjoyed with the SLK... I can live without the manual with such an exquisite car. Who knows what the future will bring.

My only real decision left is P30 package. yes or no. many here are fine without it. some want it as they say the car is a better handler than stock. is it? sounds like the rims are colossally heavy. I wonder if I can get the dealer to exchange the P30 rims for the stock rims.....brakes should be better........i will have to ask the dealer if there are any body frame differences.

Last edited by porschetobenz; 09-27-2007 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:03 PM

Looking for a new toy.
Caspian blue all the way...
Good choice!

It was that colour sold me on mine when I first saw it in the dealer's showroom. It has some nice, subtle, shade shifting properties to it that depending on lighting, will shift between blue and green with even some overtones of violet at some angles. Good luck with your hunt!
Old 09-27-2007, 05:16 PM

porsche 911
thanks FishtailinZ...i'm going to the dealership tomorrow. hopefully i'll have something to post...question for you. why didn't you get the P30 package?
Old 09-27-2007, 05:21 PM

Looking for a new toy.
It wasn't available in Canada for 2006. But even if it were, I probably still wouldn't have opted for it as IMO, it was not worth the extra coin - back then. Now though, what with the downgrade in the braking system for 2008, I probably would go for it. The price of the package hasn't changed, but with the brakes that come with it and the improvement in looks/performance they bring over the current stock setup, the $$$ figure is easier to justify.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:53 PM

porsche 911
thanks again fishtailnz. i'll get theP30 if i get a 2008...but are the rims that heavy? so heavy that they will affect my ride? or is that only a concern for racers?...they look pretty nice but I do like the look of the stock rims. what do you think of all that?
Old 09-27-2007, 05:59 PM

Looking for a new toy.
I don't think their weight will be a noticeable issue in everyday driving. The extra suspension stiffness would be more noticeble I'm betting. But not having driven an 030 car, I can't personally say for sure. If the weight of those 19's is a sticking point though, you could sell 'em and get a nice lightweight set of some kind. The OZ Superleggera's are especially nice IMO, and very light!
Old 09-27-2007, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G55 & SLK55
Anyways goodluck with your next purchase, you are def will enjoy this small and aigle roadster.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:22 PM

porsche 911
thanks fishtailnz. i'll talk to the dealership about the rims. see what he thinks. personally, if the heaviness slows people down .2 seconds in the 1/4 mile, i don't care. they do look a little gaudy though. the MB website says they are finished in sterling silver....maybe he'd be interested in a trade for other MB rims.... i'm gonna see if the dealer has a 2007 in caspian blue with the options i want.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others
Not sure the 030 suspension would be a problem. I have a complete Brabus package and while stiff, it's far from harsh or unbearable, even with 19" wheels. I can't comprehend the switch to smaller brakes in the hopes of avoiding noise. So far at 13K miles, zero squeeking. While a manual might be nice, there's so much power on tap in the 55's that I doubt I would enjoy it more with a clutch, and certainly like it less in so. Cal. traffic. The 7 speed shifts very quickly and has to given the small amount if time it spends in the first couple of gears. If time and money are no option, I'd order an 030 for sure. If cost or waiting is a consideration, I'd get a CPO 2005 or 2006 and save a bunch.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:11 PM

'12 ML350
Originally Posted by FishtailnZ
I don't think their weight will be a noticeable issue in everyday driving. The extra suspension stiffness would be more noticeble I'm betting. But not having driven an 030 car, I can't personally say for sure. If the weight of those 19's is a sticking point though, you could sell 'em and get a nice lightweight set of some kind. The OZ Superleggera's are especially nice IMO, and very light!
Thread hijack!

How's life on the Rock FishtailnZ? Am an expat Canadian in NY/NJ...

Any thought about entering the 55 in the Targa Newfoundland? Since it's right on your doorstep, it'd be a shame not to! Have heard from other participants and it sounds like a hoot!
Old 09-28-2007, 12:39 PM

porsche 911
Slk 63

Ok folks...Just back from the MB dealership. There are no caspian blue
SLK 55's in the world right now. 2007 or 2008. The manager told me that they don't make many and most people order black. If I want one I have to order one new and it takes 3-4 months. ugghhh. So, I'd get it in late January. The dealer had one in black, 2008 no P30, so no dice to that. They could no doubt find another somewhere, but it wouldn't be caspian blue...There is a better chance of an SLK 350 in caspian blue somewhere and they are searching for one. So, I may go with the 350 after all...I asked the sales guy are they coming out with an SLK 63. He said yes they are! Probably model year 2009. How do you like that? So, I'll get the 350 in caspian blue(if they have one) and enjoy a manual transmission for awhile and when the SLK 63 is announced, I'll go for it then. Hopefully the 350 has some major punch to it...thanks everyone....
Old 09-28-2007, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
heh

Sounds like your dealer doesn't know diddly.

Go to another dealer and have them do a search as well. I would also call a few other major dealers to see what inventory they have.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:47 PM

porsche 911
OK, I called another dealer in Ft. Lauderdale. All she had at her disposal of SLK 55's were black and silver...she is doing a search but she said caspian blue "you don't see too many of those" but she is doing a search and calling me back....why such a rarity?
Old 09-28-2007, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
color

most AMG's are ordered in silver or Black ... the caspian blue is definitely not order nearly as much.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:25 PM

'12 ML350
Originally Posted by SLK55R
most AMG's are ordered in silver or Black ... the caspian blue is definitely not order nearly as much.
That is the unfortunate truth. When I was ready to get the E63 and checked my dealer's inventory, I could have any colour as long as it was silver or black...was hoping for the grey but no dice - and also checked the inventory of several dealers within 25 miles and the story was the same.

How boring!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SLK 55 or SLK 350 manual