SLK 55 or SLK 350 manual

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
porsche 911
SLK 55 or SLK 350 manual

Hello.
New to the board.... My lease is up on my 2003 911 cab.(my second) and am considering the SLK. My heart bleeds for a manual transmission, but the SLK 55 AMG doesn't have one. The 2008 SLK 350 doesn't either according to MBs website. I was hoping to get opinions on what is more fun to drive. A 2007 SLK 350 stick shift or a 2007(8) SLK 55 AMG with the AMG speedshift etc. I was so surprised to see such quick cars and no manual option.
I like the SLK 55s body styling a lot but have never driven anything but a manual transmission. So I hoped you all could give me your thoughts.

Thank you!
Old 09-23-2007, 11:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
hmm

If you really want a manual (and it sounds like you do) get another porsche.

The manual in the new 997's is amazing.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:22 AM

porsche 911
thanks

I've driven a porsche for 7 years and would like something different and being less expensive is a plus. I want a convertible with a sharp interior/exterior. The SLK55 seems to have that. I just don't know about the AMG speedshift. Can using those paddles make driving the car more fun? Are they sort of lame? Everyone here seems to love their SLK 55. And it sounds more fun than the 2007 SLK 350, except for the manual.....The exterior of an SLK 55 looks sharper than a boxster S.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

paddles

are lame ... the tranny shifts faster in S mode by itself ... using the paddles is slower.

On the other hand I do use the paddles in S mode to downshift into a specific gear that I don't want the tranny to shift out of.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G55 & SLK55
yoy will miss the manual transmition for sure, however go for the slk55 its faster than the 911 and sports a agressive body kit.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:42 AM

SLK 55 AMG
You really need to give it a test drive first. It's very difficult to explain the auto tranny in the AMG over a forum discussion. The shifts are definitely no way near as quick (although they're very smooth) as you'd find in an F1 style gearbox on a Ferrari or an Audi. But it does have other advantages (you won't need to replace the clutch all the time, and the torque converter gives you some great push at times). The autobox also adapts to your driving, so as to provide shifts higher up in the RPM range if you drive agressively, or lower down if you're more into chilled out driving.

What you lose in the form of a good manual, you do however gain in the form of a torquey engine, cool vario roof, and an overall rather nice car that turns heads (at least more then Porsche over here in Switzerland, where Porsches are now dime a dozen).

The 350 manual gearbox (you can get it here, so you just need to haggle with your dealer to get them to provide one for you... it's possible, you just need to tell them that you'll only buy it if you can have a manual box) is quite good for a Mercedes. The shifts are precise and easy to do. It's a bit step up from back when MB manuals were sluggish and boring... Ok, so it's not quite S2000 material, but it's no way near as bad as some would like to make you think it is.

But the 350 doesn't have the power and torque the AMG does, and to get a good level of trim (leather and options), you're better off buying the AMG which has a lot of that standard (at least in Switzerland).

Now, go and bag yourself a test drive. Someone who's been brought up on a stable diet of flat 6 boxer engines, will find the V8 a truly different engine. It might not be to your taste, then again, you might find that the overall quality and features of the SLK overcome the other shortfalls. It's not a perfect car (then again, what is?), but it does many things very well.

I've had the owner of a 997 Turbo praise my car, as I've had an owner of a Lotus Exige, Ferrari 360 Modena and an M3 owner, all show their appreciation for the many qualities of my SLK.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:21 PM

2010 SLK 350, 2010 Infiniti FX 35, 2007 SLK55 AMG, 1988 CRX SI
I totally agree with Shinigami response.

Last year I ask the similar questions between the 350 manual and the 55. I driven a manual for 25 years until I purchase the 55. Mind you I truly miss the manual tranny - SLK55R is also correct about the paddles - I prefer tapping the stick to manually shift. Recently a 350 of the same color wanted to play at the stop light we kept hitting. Obviously no contest, whether I let sports mode shift for me or if i put it in manual. I think the driver wanted to see the power difference between the two on take off.

Now, if you love MT driving and you not looking for kick *** power plant then you may be happy with the 350. Test both, I did, loved both but what got me was the aggressive appearance and the power. We all want more power.

I do miss MT driving - alroumi - as you can see I picked the 55 for the same reasons you mentioned. Would do it again...I'm not even sure. They say you can't go back - one can always find a other brand that has it all.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:32 PM

SLK 55 AMG
Many people are actually quite happy with the automatic tranny in the SLK, even if they've come from manual tranny cars.

You could always wait a little bit longer for the facelift SLK which supposedly will have about 296hp rather then 272 (and perhaps a $2000 Kleemann header mod could bring this to 310hp, a number closer to the AMG's).

The 350 does weigh less then the AMG, so all that helps. Just don't buy a 350 without the sports pack (stiffer springs and stuff). The AMG kit gives it a nicer look as well in my opinion. The hood vent 'claws' are a must IMO (standard on the AMG).
Old 09-24-2007, 02:03 PM

'12 ML350
Interesting question as I am in a similar boat with our summer fun car.

The Z4 is going back in May and we've decided that we can in fact have a fun car and have chance to enjoy it despite becoming parents and using our 4-door daily drivers whenever we have our daughter with us.

My wife is very stuck on the idea of a manual transmission as we both enjoy rowing our own gears - but the SLK55 just seems to be such a fun car that I could see myself living with the automatic box. I drove one on an autocross course last week at an AMG Challenge day and it's really quite a torquey little monster and sounds fabulous.

But if the need for a manual gearbox wins out, she prefers the traditional long bonnet and short rear silhouette of something like a Z4M Roadster while I would get another Boxster S (had an '01 before) or go to a 997 S Cab and put a Britax seat in the back so we can take our wee one with us in the fun car.

Actually, if I really could have an ultimate drop top toy, I'd get an F430 Spyder in either the manual or F1 transmission - I wouldn't be too picky about it in the case of a Ferrari!

But back to reality...we'll probably end up with a manual gearbox back in our garage come May.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G55 & SLK55
Originally Posted by Veroomer
I totally agree with Shinigami response.

Last year I ask the similar questions between the 350 manual and the 55. I driven a manual for 25 years until I purchase the 55. Mind you I truly miss the manual tranny - SLK55R is also correct about the paddles - I prefer tapping the stick to manually shift. Recently a 350 of the same color wanted to play at the stop light we kept hitting. Obviously no contest, whether I let sports mode shift for me or if i put it in manual. I think the driver wanted to see the power difference between the two on take off.

Now, if you love MT driving and you not looking for kick *** power plant then you may be happy with the 350. Test both, I did, loved both but what got me was the aggressive appearance and the power. We all want more power.

I do miss MT driving - alroumi - as you can see I picked the 55 for the same reasons you mentioned. Would do it again...I'm not even sure. They say you can't go back - one can always find a other brand that has it all.
I cant disagree with the comments above, I am extremely satisfied with the Mercedes-Benz ownership their offerings are exteremly practical just name me a Mercedes that couldnt be used as a daily driver, even the SLR has the passenger airbag de-activation if a babyseat is in place.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:56 PM

porsche 911
Great responses. Thank you. well, i could always get a manual after the SLK 55 lease is up. I don't know if I want to buy one.... I was wondering if anyone forked over the $6500 for the P30 AMG Performance Package for the SLK 55. Silver rims, 20 m.p.h. more and a lower profile don't seem worth that outlay. My hotrod days are over so the stiffer suspension seems like it might make my drives a lot more rough. Am I correct?....I loved the power of the 911 so the 350 manual might be too mellow. Please keep on coming with your opinions. They really are appreciated!
Old 09-24-2007, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G55 & SLK55
Originally Posted by porschetobenz
Great responses. Thank you. well, i could always get a manual after the SLK 55 lease is up. I don't know if I want to buy one.... I was wondering if anyone forked over the $6500 for the P30 AMG Performance Package for the SLK 55. Silver rims, 20 m.p.h. more and a lower profile don't seem worth that outlay. My hotrod days are over so the stiffer suspension seems like it might make my drives a lot more rough. Am I correct?....I loved the power of the 911 so the 350 manual might be too mellow. Please keep on coming with your opinions. They really are appreciated!
If you are getting the 08 model then go for it as they reduced the rear and front break to remove the squeeling breaks after a few hards runs.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

030 package

it comes with CF interior, different steering wheel, stiffer suspension, crappy rims, and HUGE brakes.

Considering that in 08 they did shift the normal brakes to the OLD C55 brakes ... I would highly recommend the 030 package. I love the CF interior, steering wheel, suspension and the brakes. The fronts btw are 14.2in Rotors!!!

The suspension is a bit stiffer but its still acceptable to me. You need to test drive if it really bothers you.

Also regarding the brakes ... I remember a poll about this before and its the only one(030) that didn't have any one complain about squealing.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G55 & SLK55
Originally Posted by SLK55R
it comes with CF interior, different steering wheel, stiffer suspension, crappy rims, and HUGE brakes.

Considering that in 08 they did shift the normal brakes to the OLD C55 brakes ... I would highly recommend the 030 package. I love the CF interior, steering wheel, suspension and the brakes. The fronts btw are 14.2in Rotors!!!

The suspension is a bit stiffer but its still acceptable to me. You need to test drive if it really bothers you.

Also regarding the brakes ... I remember a poll about this before and its the only one(030) that didn't have any one complain about squealing.
Do you know that I am regretting for not asking the dealership about the 030, I was thinking they dont even know what performance package is just let me submit the ordering info and cross my hands. We all learn from mistakes and I sure did.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:34 PM
Almost a Member!

2009 Mars Red SLK55
Alroumi, lets be honest. The c55 brakes are pretty damn good themselves. You have to ask yourself what you want your car for. I personally want a fast straightline car that looks damn good but is comfortable for every day use. I have read a review, which I tried to find for you but couldn't, that stated that the performance package wasn't worth the harsher ride. However, this was before the brakes had been switched. Nonetheless, besides the brakes, nicer looking wheels and the carbon fibre trim, and assuming you want an everyday type of car, the performance package isn't probably worth the 6k and harsher ride.

I have heard that the wheels themselves are a bit heavier than the stock 55 amg rims. Now don't get me wrong. I'm not saying don't get the package, but you have to ask yourself whether you want a luxury sports roadster or a weekend track car for fun. And IMHO if your selection is the latter over the former, then I would suggest spending money elsewhere on a "funner" car for the weekend but not necessarily as practical as the SLK for an everyday car.

Just my $0.02 & GL with your decision

P.S. I would suggest to Mercedes Benz that they offer carbon fibre or wood trim on the 55. The Vavona wood looks awesome and the carbon fibre even better.

And this has already been reiterated but shame on Mercedes for replacing the stock 55 brakes. Oh well, I'll have to do with my non-noisy c55 brakes when i get my '08...

DISCLAIMER: I'm biased. I'm getting an 08 without the 030 package.

Last edited by smoothbznf4n4tc; 09-24-2007 at 10:38 PM.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

nothing for him to regret

he already got his car ...

Until you drive yourself the 030 package you really can't comment on how "harsh" the ride is. Personally its fine for me and I love the stiffer suspension. This car is my daily driver and I have put 26k miles on the car already. I've driven to LA which is a 5 hour drive and I'm still fresh when I get out of the car.

In terms of price ... the different steering wheel, CF interior and brakes easily make up that amount. Go look up the prices for a nicer steering wheel, CF interior, and 14.2 brakes ... I'm sure it will add up to more than 6k USD without install.

My recommendation is change your order ...

Honestly have you seen the side by side photos of the 08 and the 05-07(lets not even put the 030 in there)? Just from a looks perspective the 08's with the tiny brakes look totally DEBALLED.

Last edited by SLK55R; 09-24-2007 at 10:44 PM.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:32 AM

porsche 911
Does anyone here know of a comparison in suspensions between the Carrera cab. sports suspension and the SLK 55 P30 AMG upgraded suspension? equal? SLK stiffer? if it is, it's got some mighty sturdy shocks. oh, but the SLK may sit lower and that could have an effect. .....................are those P30 Silver plated rims gaudy or badarse mean?
Old 09-25-2007, 12:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

suspension

Actually I'd say the 997S that I test drove had fantastic handling. If I had to describe it ... I'd say the 997S was 10/10 and the SLK55 030 would be 9/10. One of the great things about the porsche was that you can adjust the settings on the suspension. comfort is more comfortable than the SLK030 and stiff is less comfortable thant the SLK030. You really need to drive them.

Btw the rims aren't silver plated ... I think your thinking of chrome. They have the same finish as normal SLK55 rims.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G55 & SLK55
Originally Posted by smoothbznf4n4tc
Alroumi, lets be honest. The c55 brakes are pretty damn good themselves. You have to ask yourself what you want your car for. I personally want a fast straightline car that looks damn good but is comfortable for every day use. I have read a review, which I tried to find for you but couldn't, that stated that the performance package wasn't worth the harsher ride. However, this was before the brakes had been switched. Nonetheless, besides the brakes, nicer looking wheels and the carbon fibre trim, and assuming you want an everyday type of car, the performance package isn't probably worth the 6k and harsher ride.

I have heard that the wheels themselves are a bit heavier than the stock 55 amg rims. Now don't get me wrong. I'm not saying don't get the package, but you have to ask yourself whether you want a luxury sports roadster or a weekend track car for fun. And IMHO if your selection is the latter over the former, then I would suggest spending money elsewhere on a "funner" car for the weekend but not necessarily as practical as the SLK for an everyday car.

Just my $0.02 & GL with your decision

P.S. I would suggest to Mercedes Benz that they offer carbon fibre or wood trim on the 55. The Vavona wood looks awesome and the carbon fibre even better.

And this has already been reiterated but shame on Mercedes for replacing the stock 55 brakes. Oh well, I'll have to do with my non-noisy c55 brakes when i get my '08...

DISCLAIMER: I'm biased. I'm getting an 08 without the 030 package.
I've got wood in the interior actually.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:07 AM

porsche 911
I've got wood in the interior actually.

man did you set me up...

in the P30 Performance package the MB website says "18" multispoke wheels are finished in sterling silver"...the is silver somewhere in those rims. that may look good on the silver body but not sure about capri blue....anyhow, i want a comfortable ride. Unless there is a mean change in the exterior body, seeing wood and carbon fiber in the interior won't do it enough to have a super stiff ride. . unless i get brake squeal otherwise. then i'll definitely get the P30. oh, and i don't want a deballed looking brakes, that's fo shizzle.

Last edited by porschetobenz; 09-25-2007 at 01:29 AM.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

examples of 08 brakes

Now some images of 030 brakes ... sorry don't have super closeups like above but it should be clear how big a difference it is. My rears are larger than the fronts for the 08s.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...light=renntech
Old 09-25-2007, 01:37 AM

porsche 911
WOW. what a beautiful car! and in capri blue. that's what i want. the brakes look great. worth it. rims look different on the website. A 5X twinspoke design...i'll have to see if those alcantara inserts look garish....... now i have to think whether it's better to lease or buy a 2008 SLK 55, in planning ahead that/if the 2009 SLK 63 should be an automotive devastation, which can i trade in less unscathed in a year or so, maybe.

Last edited by porschetobenz; 09-25-2007 at 01:48 AM.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G55 & SLK55
Originally Posted by porschetobenz
WOW. what a beautiful car! and in capri blue. that's what i want. the brakes look great. worth it. rims look different on the website. A 5X twinspoke design...i'll have to see if those alcantara inserts look garish....... now i have to think whether it's better to lease or buy a 2008 SLK 55, in planning ahead that/if the 2009 SLK 63 should be an automotive devastation, which can i trade in less unscathed in a year or so, maybe.
flip throught the SLK55 members pictures thread and find my car, it has the 5spoke AMG 18"s which arent available in the states when ordering it. I like them alot, as they are very easy to clean.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G55 & SLK55
porsche to benz, I am not sure about Capri blue it seems to be lighter and shifts into a peps-ish blue at daylight. The above example of an 08 SLK55 is Benotite Blue or Caspian as they call it in the U.S/Can Ordering guide.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:08 AM

SLK 55 AMG
Originally Posted by SLK55R
I have put 26k miles on the car already. I've driven to LA which is a 5 hour drive and I'm still fresh when I get out of the car.
I've put nearly 55,000km's on mine, and I even did a 1900km trip in one day (took about 21 hours), and I had no back aches the next day

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SLK 55 or SLK 350 manual