SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK55 - To those that enjoy modifying

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
porsche 911
There's a CLS 63 AMG on you tube. Your exhaust has more throat. sounds meaner....reminds me of my high school days hearing challengers, cougars and GTOs exhausts. nice memories.....
Old 11-27-2007, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G55 & SLK55
Originally Posted by porschetobenz
There's a CLS 63 AMG on you tube. Your exhaust has more throat. sounds meaner....reminds me of my high school days hearing challengers, cougars and GTOs exhausts. nice memories.....
Thank you, never knew its "Muscle Car loud" I know it has a 5.4L V8 but it has some american roots to it
Old 11-27-2007, 01:22 PM

Looking for a new toy.
Originally Posted by alroumi
Thank you, never knew its "Muscle Car loud" I know it has a 5.4L V8 but it has some american roots to it
I find the SLK55 to be very "American like" Mohammed, in concept if not in detail. Stuff a big, torquey, (relatively) low rpm V8 in a small rwd body, and go have fun! Lots of grunt down low and through the mid range, with some nice deep burbling sound effects thrown to let you know you're not in some high strung gee-whiz-bang 10000rpm small displacement screamer that you have to rev the bejeezus out of just to pull away from a stop sign! And yours sounds VERY much just like that hoary old V8 of old - and that's a GOOD thing!
Old 11-27-2007, 02:04 PM

porsche 911
Since you all are talking about mods., why don't we(you guys) list the top ten mods. to increase H.P., torque and performance? if that isn't a subject that hasn't been talked up too much...maybe from a cost effective stand point and up. i.e. no one modification costing more than let's say
$5000 or so? green filters would probably be the cheapest...
Old 11-27-2007, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G55 & SLK55
Bill, Yep thats the secret recipe for a fun RWD car one of the striking ingredients is the gobs of torque available down low
Old 11-27-2007, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G55 & SLK55
Since you all are talking about mods., why don't we(you guys) list the top ten mods. to increase H.P., torque and performance? if that isn't a subject that hasn't been talked up too much...maybe from a cost effective stand point and up. i.e. no one modification costing more than let's say
Thats hard but let me try,

Green filters 9hp at the dyno on Fishtailnz car
Renntech/Kleemann headers around 20hp and 20tq gains
an X pipe

I think that package is around 35-40hp in gains probably and might get you under 5,000 dollars depending on the brand of X pipe's you go for.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
mods

1. Supercharger - Done OVER 5k
2. ECU tuned to your specific mods - Done
3. Supersprint Long Tube Headers - Done
4. going from 4 cats to 2 100cell cats. - Done
5. Lightweight Rims - Done x2
6. Sticky Tires - Done (god don't make me think how many sets I've gone thru)
7. Airbox with BMC filters - Done
8. Xpipe - Done
9. Exhaust (still Stock!)
10. Coilovers (still happy with 030 package suspension)
11. Brakes (still happy with 030 package brakes)
12. TCU - Gonna happen soon!
13. Carbon Fiber Roof OVER 5k
14. Carbon Fiber Hood
15. Carbon Fiber Diffuser
16. Sprintbooster - Done
17. Ah yeah forgot about Cams
18. Port and Polish Heads

I leave anything out?

Last edited by SLK55R; 11-27-2007 at 05:15 PM.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G55 & SLK55
You can do

Kleemann camshafts
Renntech or Kleemann headers
Renntech or Kleemann supercharger
Brabus 6.1S litre bore and stroke upgrade to 445hp
X pipe
sport primary catalytics
ecu tune
drop in filters
removal of spare tyre
renntech cf airbox
Old 11-27-2007, 09:21 PM

R171 SLK 55 Black Series
Mohammed, I just installed the Supersprint, the exhaust is very well made and the sound level is slightly throatier than AMG. Would the high flow cat. increase the noise level? At the moment, it is a little mellow for my liking!! Hee hee....
Old 11-27-2007, 11:48 PM

C43 AMG
What is TCU?

I'll definitely do a Magnaflow Xpipe... Can't wait.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:17 AM

porsche 911
I haven't done one mod yet but I can see this becoming an addiction.

green filter
magnaflow x-pipes
supersprint headers(are they better than Renntech or kleeman?)
ECU mod.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:36 AM

C43 AMG
I would HIGHLY recommend BMC filters instead of Green Filters.

Not only have the Green Filters experienced problems, but, hell, do I even need another point?

BMC is proven on many applications outside of the SLK world. They are both high-flow filters that provide the same gains. I have no idea what filtration the Greens offer, but I know you are at least safe with BMC. The BMCs might cost a whole $50 more for the pair, but it's worth it IMO.

Magnaflow - I will do this as well.

Headers - good power, but a lot of money. I am not sure about SLK applications specifically, but I know in general, headers will also make the car louder.

ECU - Unlike headers, filters, etc, this WILL void your warranty. Not always a concern because some are not detectable. But something to consider. Definitely get one from a reputable company that stands behind its products and can provide testimonials. Unforunately, that is also a load of dough for a few hp.

For me, I am just looking at filters, Xpipe, and weight reduction. Weight reduction improves accleration, but also braking and handling and gas mileage. Whereas increased power is not only more expensive, but only helps acceleration. Maybe if I didn't live downtown () I'd want more power as well.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G55 & SLK55
Originally Posted by SLK_BLK
Mohammed, I just installed the Supersprint, the exhaust is very well made and the sound level is slightly throatier than AMG. Would the high flow cat. increase the noise level? At the moment, it is a little mellow for my liking!! Hee hee....
Most Definatley,
Old 11-28-2007, 12:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G55 & SLK55
I haven't done one mod yet but I can see this becoming an addiction.

green filter
magnaflow x-pipes
supersprint headers(are they better than Renntech or kleeman?)
ECU mod.
SS headers are better but also pricier,I am not sure if they do eliminate the front cats or require the SS cats as well.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:46 AM

porsche 911
I just don't know what to do with the green filters. I wrote SLK World about my concerns in an email but no reply. I'll resend it....Bill over at SLK World answered my post that the filters are USA made now. not in europe and the problem is fixed. but I think they've been shipped. If people feel that strongly I will not accept shipment and send them back. I don't need a headache.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G55 & SLK55
I just don't know what to do with the green filters. I wrote SLK World about my concerns in an email but no reply. I'll resend it....Bill over at SLK World answered my post that the filters are USA made now. not in europe and the problem is fixed. but I think they've been shipped. If people feel that strongly I will not accept shipment and send them back. I don't need a headache.
Dont worry, I've got them on my SLK and they havent spoiled for 1 1/2 years now.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:53 AM

porsche 911
thanks alroumi.....Well, one thing I won't do is clean them. I'll throw them out and put a new one in. maybe that will help me sleep....how long do they last before you have to consider chucking them. maybe go to BMC after the 2 I have coming are done....
Old 11-28-2007, 02:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G55 & SLK55
thanks alroumi.....Well, one thing I won't do is clean them. I'll throw them out and put a new one in. maybe that will help me sleep....how long do they last before you have to consider chucking them. maybe go to BMC after the 2 I have coming are done....
I am not really sure, you see I dont drive my car that much at all.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:39 AM

R171 SLK 55 Black Series
Originally Posted by alroumi
Most Definatley,
Good!!!! I can't wait......
Old 11-28-2007, 02:41 AM

R171 SLK 55 Black Series
As BillT said, that was last year's problem. Those you have ordered should be fine!
Old 11-28-2007, 04:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G55 & SLK55
Good!!!! I can't wait......
I think you might be the First person in the world to tweek the SLK55 AMG BS
Old 11-28-2007, 04:22 AM

R171 SLK 55 Black Series
May be, haa haa!!! But I am very cautious with what I am adding... I don't want to go backward steps. But I am definately installing Kleemann cats and Sprintbooster. I want more noise and quicker reaction on to right foot.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G55 & SLK55
May be, haa haa!!! But I am very cautious with what I am adding... I don't want to go backward steps. But I am definately installing Kleemann cats and Sprintbooster. I want more noise and quicker reaction on to right foot.
I think you might be getting around 15-20hp maximum with a set of drop in Greens, SuperSprint X pipe, Kleemann catalytics and a faster reaction with the Sprint booster.

Dont forget that the SLK oem exhausts from the catalytics to the resonators are highly restrictive and with the X pipe couple with the 200cell sport catalytics you will be freeing up the flow.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBZ SLK
Will probably outlast your you and your car. You don't have to clean it all the time, if you look at it, it's made with cotton, much better quality then the OEM which is made out of paper and less restrictive. There's a lot of dirt, bugs, and everything else that get's into the filter box, if not clean then the air filter will get clog and less air into the engine, will result in poor performance. It doesn't matter if you get BMC, you will still need to clean them at at least once a year if it's your daily driver. I don't drive it daily but I try to clean it out every six months, it's quick and easy, and good for your SLK.

Last edited by Ynot; 11-28-2007 at 10:49 AM.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:04 AM

C43 AMG
^ Totally agree. You'd be surprised how quick they can get dirty. I like to clean mine with every oil change. Probably feels no different, but I feel better knowing the car is getting a lot of clean air. Replacing them that often can become expensive. It's really easy - clip, clip, pull out, hose off & spray with cleaner, let dry, put in, clip, clip.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SLK55 - To those that enjoy modifying