SLK55 - To those that enjoy modifying

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43 AMG
SLK55 - To those that enjoy modifying

Hi guys,
Sorry this thread isn't provide any information, rather I'm seeking it.

I enjoy modifying cars, and am looking into an SLK55. I was out of control on my S2000, and wont do any big projects, but I am looking to upgrade all areas a little bit on my next car (M3 or SLK): aesthetics, footwork, engine.

For some reason, there aren't many threads in this forum. Maybe they get deleted after a certain age. So I apologize for bringing this up, normally I would just search.

But what have some of you guys done to your car?

I would normally buy coilovers, but on the SLK55 I think I will just get some moderate springs. H&R, maybe Brabus.

Wheels - I'm disappointed in the options we can do, but I will probably get
some custom Works for their quality, style, weight, and price. Varianza T1S.

Engine - I don't know much about the non-kompresser 5.5L engines, so I will probably stick with just BMC filters and the SPRINT (edit) Booster to improve response. Exhaust and other parts for this car are $$$, even compared to the M3. Any small parts you guys have positive experience with?

Aesthetics - clear front reflectors, upgraded lights (6000K HID, new fogs, DRLs, stealthbulbs, white interior LEDs, etc), tint... I assume the HID is D2S, but do you guys know the socket for the fog light bulbs or interior map lights and DRLs?

There are a lot of small parts that enhance cars like the S2000 and M3 that only forum members would know about. For example, the M3 "requires" new RTAB (rear trailing arm bushings). Who woulda guessed?

I can't find much in terms of upgrades for the SLK, basically.

So what have you all done to yours? Favorite and worst upgrade? Thanks!

Last edited by WyattH; 11-20-2007 at 11:40 PM.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:23 PM

R171 SLK 55 Black Series
What is a "Shift Booster"?
Old 11-20-2007, 11:39 PM

C43 AMG
Sorry, I am retarded. Brain fart.

SPRINT Booster:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Sprin...QQcmdZViewItem

I saw it in someone's signature and searched the forums. Read some happy reviews and I think I'll give it a go if I get an SLK.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:55 PM

R171 SLK 55 Black Series
Haa haa... no big deal!!

I will install one of those soon too!!
Old 11-21-2007, 12:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G55 & SLK55
Hi, your from 6speedonline right?; I am member "MeanMachine" over there.

I've upgraded my car quiet a bit, added an ecu update/removed speed limiter, 2 drop in filters, kleemann 200 cell primary sport catalytic converters, supersprint/carlsson x pipe and removed the spare tyre.

After the upgrades its substantially faster and you could feel how the car has improved after the exhaust upgrades, it pulls much stronger from the low to midrange rpm's. The sound is intoxicating, for the video's do a search under "MeanMachineQ8" on youtube and I hope you will enjoy the numerous videos I have filmed.

For my next modifications I am planning to treat myself to Kleemann headers this summer, hopefully.

Non performance modifications include the Mercedes Ipod kit and the bluetooth hub plus some nice Vkool tints.

Last edited by alroumi; 11-21-2007 at 01:00 AM.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:32 AM

C43 AMG
Yep, from 6speed!
I actually just asked about your X-pipe in another thread - I think the Renntech box thread.
What ECU did you go with?
Old 11-21-2007, 03:56 AM

C43 AMG
Found the Supersprint X-pipe for $550 or something, so that's cool.
But I searched a bit, and found people just having their resonators removed with strait pipes welded in. What's the difference? For $500, does the Supersprint X do anything besides a little scavenging? I liked the sound and appreciate the videos, thanks!
Old 11-21-2007, 07:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G55 & SLK55
Originally Posted by WyattH
But I searched a bit, and found people just having their resonators removed with strait pipes welded in. What's the difference? For $500, does the Supersprint X do anything besides a little scavenging? I liked the sound and appreciate the videos, thanks!
No problem here to help, the X pipe's scavenging helps it so save torque rather than losing it which is a big plus.

I hope I can help you but thats what I know about it.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:48 AM

C43 AMG
What other X-pipes are available?
I read about the universal one from Magnaflow (what size?). I assume there isn't much difference? Just cut out the resonators and weld in this piece?

Any other little tricks to do to the SLK?
Old 11-21-2007, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G55 & SLK55
What other X-pipes are available?
I read about the universal one from Magnaflow (what size?). I assume there isn't much difference? Just cut out the resonators and weld in this piece?

Any other little tricks to do to the SLK?
I dont know its part number, contact dsb if you want the model number. Yes, it has to be welded and to cut the resonator that is in its place.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:12 PM

Looking for a new toy.
Search through the W210 E55 section too - same NA engine as our SLK55's and there's some good articles in there.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
EVOTECH ECU for $1295.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:39 PM

C43 AMG
Info on it?
Can the dealership detect (void warranty)?
Power/TQ gains?
Old 11-21-2007, 08:47 PM

C43 AMG
Also, what is the "Kleyman 3rd Brake Light" I've seen mentioned?

And the Paicha roof module - - What all does it do? I found a list of features, but it seems like not a lot for $300. One touch, etc.
Can you open the roof while you walk to the car?

Last edited by WyattH; 11-21-2007 at 09:20 PM.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G55 & SLK55
Also, what is the "Kleyman 3rd Brake Light" I've seen mentioned?

And the Paicha roof module - - What all does it do? I found a list of features, but it seems like not a lot for $300. One touch, etc.
Can you open the roof while you walk to the car?
Piecha roof module is a box that you connect to the electronic system of the car which allows you to lower and raise the roof on the move and also to bring it down and raise as you aproach the car with a push of a button.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:26 PM

C43 AMG
I don't care about moving the top on the move, but the approach sounds cool. Not sure if it's worth $300, though. Hmmm. I used to have an S2000. Man do I miss a drop top.

Do any 19'' AMG wheels fit the SLK55? I am fine with buying aftermarket wheels, but my underground garage attracts a lot of unwanted attention despite 24hr security and 2 different gates - My Infiniti was stolen (and recovered) and my C43 was broken into. Not sure I would sleep well at night with expensive wheels on my car. The car itself wont stick out, though.

I like the look of these, but again, 18'' only. Anybody have pics with 22 spokes mounted?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Authe...QQcmdZViewItem
I've only seen 030 package wheels (double 5), and the standard 14 spokers.
*I found a few pics with these. Eh, they're okay. Want 19's though.

Last edited by WyattH; 11-22-2007 at 12:33 AM.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:53 AM

SLK 55 AMG
The Piecha module is a lot cooler then you think. You can operate the roof up to 50kph (about 35mph) while driving around, and you get plenty of looks when you operate the roof from 50feet away in a crowd of people

I don't regret the $300 purchase (actually, I was one of the first to buy it, so I got a cheaper price, but even at 300 it's a bargain).

$300 on a +50k car is a drop of water in the sea IMO.
Old 11-22-2007, 03:19 PM

C43 AMG
Is it even safe to operate the top at 35mph?? That's a lot of wind on the motors/frame... Not sure I'd risk that. Maybe at 5mph as I'm accelerating from a red light and it turned green before I finished... Hmm..
The approach does sound nice. I read on MBUSA.com that if you hold the key to the door, it goes into "summertime mode" or something, lowering the windows and opening the sunroof. Well, no sunroof obviously. Does that lower the top on the SLK?
Old 11-22-2007, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G55 & SLK55
Is it even safe to operate the top at 35mph?? That's a lot of wind on the motors/frame... Not sure I'd risk that. Maybe at 5mph as I'm accelerating from a red light and it turned green before I finished... Hmm..
The approach does sound nice. I read on MBUSA.com that if you hold the key to the door, it goes into "summertime mode" or something, lowering the windows and opening the sunroof. Well, no sunroof obviously. Does that lower the top on the SLK?
Yes lowers the top and if you do the reverse process by pressing the lock button the windows go up and so does the roof, quiet a cool feature ?
Old 11-22-2007, 03:28 PM

C43 AMG
DSB - I read a post by you on SLKworld, but could not reply there since I have not registered yet.

In it, you were talking about your X-pipe. You said it may have added a little power, but no throttle response. If you want throttle response, to look into a Sprint Booster even though they are controversial.

Just wondering what is controversial about them? I haven't found much information, and the reviews I've read were all great...?
Old 11-22-2007, 03:29 PM

C43 AMG
Originally Posted by alroumi
Yes lowers the top and if you do the reverse process by pressing the lock button the windows go up and so does the roof, quiet a cool feature ?
Cool! That might be enough. The approach sounds nice especially on a really hot day, but oh well.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:07 AM

SLK 55 AMG
The wind resistance is not that bad at upto 35mph, I wouldn't worry about it. However, it probably isn't a good idea to operate the roof while driving on very bumpy or gravel ridden road.

I've done the trick so many times I've lost count now, and you can program the limiter to any speed in between if you're not safe with the idea of it working at up to 35mph (say, you could set it to 20mph).
Old 11-23-2007, 11:49 AM

C43 AMG
Thanks. So you have it installed and love it, it seems?
Old 11-23-2007, 03:57 PM
Almost a Member!

2009 Mars Red SLK55
DSB - I read a post by you on SLKworld, but could not reply there since I have not registered yet.

In it, you were talking about your X-pipe. You said it may have added a little power, but no throttle response. If you want throttle response, to look into a Sprint Booster even though they are controversial.

Just wondering what is controversial about them? I haven't found much information, and the reviews I've read were all great...?
I was reading up on Dan's explanation of the sprintbooster and what I gained from this is that it makes driving the car in the city a little bit unsafe because you are telling the car that you are applying more throttle than you actually are. However, it would be kind of cool if there was a programmed one especially for the SLK which would enable the sprintbooster in Sport mode but disable it in C mode. Thereby, parking and traffic driving would be easier to do under C and under S you can floor the car the way you want...
Old 11-23-2007, 06:20 PM

C43 AMG
Ah, that is good to know. I do a lot of traffic driving, so that insight was helpful. I sort of figured it would do something like that - much like Sport mode in the M3. It doesn't remap the engine or add power, just makes the throttle adjustment higher. Flooring it is flooring it, but half throttle of Sport is equal to maybe 75% normal.

Thanks again. So it doesn't add any power.. I will probably pass on it and then go on living happily in ignorance (because some people really do love it, but if I've never tried it, I can't be unhappy).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SLK55 - To those that enjoy modifying