SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

Supercharger

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK55 AMG
Supercharger

I just emailed Kleeman to get some information on modifications for my R171. I've read through most of the supercharger threads on this site but most of the posts are over 3 years old. What is the current thinking (experiences) with bolting a blower to the SLK55?
Old 03-06-2008, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
love it

It completely transforms your car.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:31 PM

SLK55 AMG
Thanks

Thanks, I figured I would too.

What mods did you do to it, what did it cost, have you had any problems or things to look out for, and lastly, if you were to put an SC on your car now (as I'm planning to do), would you do anything different?

I'm trying to devise my plan of attack.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

well different approach

I went Renntech not Kleemann. There are a couple Kleemann Supercharged SLK55s that you should get feedback from.

The MOST important factor though before you choose which vendor is WHO is going to do the install and support. It has to be a reputable shop with experience. Check them out with the Vendor before moving forward. Best case is if you are near Renntech or Kleemann and have them do it personally.

As to your plan of attack that depends on how you want to mod and how much you want to spend. Are you looking to do it all at once? Spread it over 1 year? Budget of 15k, 20k, 25k, etc?

I did 19in rims Carlsson ULs
Supercharger/ECU
18in rims Renntech
Renntech shorty headers
Sprintbooster
data logger (cheap one)
Carlsson front lip
Supersprint Longtube headers
Supersprint Cats
Supersprint Xpipe

Things you can still do:
Perhaps changing the exhaust (but from what I understood the AMG is really good)
CF airbox ( I have one but it needs to be modified to fit)
Run a 100 octane ECU tune (if 100 octane is readily available near you)
Lighter weight components (CF hood etc) its not a lot of weight savings btw
Brakes (I use the 030 brakes and I love them)
Suspension (I use the 030 suspension)
I think I've seen some stuff about underdrive pulleys?
NOS

I think thats it. If you see anything else let us know!

Numerous ECU tunes inbetween.

I would suggest you get a set of 18in rims (lightweight less than 20lbs a piece) with EXTREMELY sticky tires. I'm currently using Michelin Pilot Sport Cups. Even with this you will be smoking the tires left and right. I"m even considering moving down to drag radials.

Then do each mod or section seperately. THis way you can see how much of an impact each have.

**Make sure to do before and after dynos after ever modification**
**Do the dyno's at around the same time of day and weather conditions**
**Do them all at the same dyno shop**
**research the dyno shop first before choosing one**
Old 03-06-2008, 03:34 PM

SLK55 AMG
Sweet

Thanks! I definitely would like to get some feedback on the Kleeman set up as they are only a few miles from me, but I'm going to look into Renntech as well. What type mileage do you get on the street with yours?

I have a thread out requesting info on the CF hood but it's more to fix a blemish than for weight savings, but why bother fixing something when you can shed a few pounds with something new, right? I'll have it painted to match the car because I really want the thing to look bone stock and the only clue that I'm going to smoke somebody is the whine of the SC. I'm not going to say money isn't an object because, let's face it, nobody likes to find out they have 50bhp less than someone who paid 3k less, but it's not a big issue. I just want something that will last with minimal maintenance, but with some of those older threads it sounded like a few folks paid 15k and got a car that wasn't tuned. I'm definitely not looking for that.

Along the lines of keeping it a sleeper, I will get the Pilots, but I want keep the rims and prefer to keep the exhaust too. I realize the tire size will be a problem but I'm hoping to have the car tuned towards torque output in the higher RPM as much as possible. I know that's not going to go very far but I'm leery of turbos and prefer to go with the SC.

As for internally, I probably will go with the minimum of quality mods and leave the rest alone because I'm not looking to track the car, (except for the occasional few laps around Summit Point), but I really just want to dismantle my buddy's 4 M3s and give his '07 911 turbo a lashing too.

Thanks again for your input on this. I really appreciate it.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by vatskey
Thanks! I definitely would like to get some feedback on the Kleeman set up as they are only a few miles from me,
If thats the case go Kleemann (I know renntech won't like that but this is by far the most important in my opinion that you are close to the vendor)

What type mileage do you get on the street with yours?
Pretty damn good I average over 17 mpg.

I will get the Pilots,
Pilot Sport CUPS not just regular Pilots.

but I want keep the rims and prefer to keep the exhaust too.
STock rims are HEAVY. also probably have difficulty putting 265 width on the rears. At least 275 is definitely out of the question.

but I'm hoping to have the car tuned towards torque output in the higher RPM as much as possible. I know that's not going to go very far but I'm leery of turbos and prefer to go with the SC.
I think its the opposite with the type of supercharger Renntech and Kleemann provide. You get the torque in the lower RPM. Its the one main issue with these superchargers ... too much damn torque up front in a very light car.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:17 PM

SLK55 AMG
How often are you bringing yours back to Renntech and is it tweaking, maintenance or problems? I'm just trying to get and idea of what to expect.

17mpg... that is pretty DAMN good!

Pilot Sport CUPS.. check.

I'm not ruling out lighter, larger rims... I guess it will depend on how long I can keep rubber on the stock rims following the mod.

Yeah, I know SCs are more torque and low RPM horse vs. turbos generating horse at high RPM (which would be most preferable for my desired application), but I'm not a fan of turbo lag, the needed RPMs, nor their reliability. I haven't checked to see if anyone has done turbo mods, perhaps I will, but I seriously doubt it would change my current course of action.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lotus Elise SLK55
I have a kleemann supercharger on my car, along with a few other mods. If you do end up getting a supercharger, you should also get headers and LSD (LSD will help put the power down). Exhaust you don't really need to change, but do get kleemann sport cats (they are only like $500 anyway). No major problems, but I did get a free new tune when my car was running richer than its supposed to. Make sure you ask for a complete before/after dyno. My stock car made 290whp, right now it makes about 420-430whp.

Pilot Sport Cups are good tires, but I still get some serious problems with loosing traction... I think a better tire choice would be Toyo Proxes RA1 (or R888) or even Yokohoma A048 (had them on my lotus). Pilot Cups are designed for track use, they are not as good as you would think when it comes to launching your car unfortunately....
Old 03-06-2008, 07:31 PM

2007 Escalade EXT, Stealth TT 600 AWHP
Thanks! I definitely would like to get some feedback on the Kleeman set up as they are only a few miles from me, but I'm going to look into Renntech as well.
You actually have a Kleemann dealer, not Kleemann themselves, near you. I would personally go with Renntech, simply because they use a Lysholm supercharger, not a roots like Kleemann. Either way, both kits are great. The LSD is also a wise choice for putting all that power to the ground. Also like SLK55R says, figure out how much you want to spend, and over how much time.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

tires and LSD

I think whether a LSD actually helps launching a vehicle is questionable. Plenty of E55's etc have added LSDs and not improved launch times. Does it help cornering? YES Are there supposed to be negatives of having an LSD in such a short wheelbase car? From what I researched ... yes.

Also from an LSD perspective looks at quiafe and kleemann you will see they are very VERY different.

Tire-wise the Toyo Proxes RA1 and the Yokohama Advan A048 are also TRACK tires. Of which the Toyo's are about 100 treadwear, Cups are 80 treadwear and the Yoko's are 60 treadwear. BTW Goodyear GSD3s are around 280 treadwear. The pilot sport cups also seem to have the largest size selection. For ex. You can get Cup tires in 19s ... not so with the advans.

If manufacturer treadwear numbers are to be believed the yoko's would be the softest and the toyo's the hardest of the 3 tires. I might try out the Yokos next time.

Look at the various features of each tire, hydroplaning resistance, cornering, noise, price etc to determine which might fit your needs best.

If you want the best launch tire, in 18s(265), the only drag radial I have found are BFG. If you go down to 17s then you can find some others. Supposedly MT is supposed to be coming out with our size as well. Last time I asked was back in early January 08.

Also as Dynamic Motoring has suggested you are only near a Kleemann Dealer not the Vendor themselves. As such, I would find out who is the Renntech dealer closest to you and then do your own research.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:50 AM

SLK55 AMG
dealer

Wait... so I'm looking for a Renntech dealer or a Kleeman vendor?

The closest Renntech dealer is in NY... and that's a 5 hour trip from DC.

I would rather go with Renntech based on their use of the Lysholm SC. It sounds like Kleeman use to use it, but downgraded a few years back to the roots with no explanation, which smacks of corporate performance over vehicle performance, but if they are in my area that's a lot better than NY. How do find a reputable Kleeman vendor in the DC metro area? It seems like every third MB has that damn asterisk on it around here (if I use them that asterisk is not going on my car) so I know someone is doing their work. When I run a search for Kleeman vendors in Virginia or DC it's a mess.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

dealer

you are looking for the dealers. Vendor is either Renntech or Kleemann.

I went to renntech's site and didn't see one near you as well. I'd try giving Renntech a call but to me that isn't a good sign. Kleemann sounds like it might make more sense then.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:02 PM

SLK55 AMG
cool

Cool. I'll give Renntech a call and scout out this Kleeman dealer in Dulles and see what I'm more comfortable with.

Thanks for all the info on the tires, looks like I will be getting new rims after all because the ones on it aren't stock anyway. Any idea what MB these came off of? They are 18" and have the MB recommended sized rubber on them for the car. I'm just wondering so I know who to market them to when I do take them off. I'll do some research with all the info you gave me but as a somewhat daily driver I'm going to have to balance launch traction with wet weather traction.
Attached Thumbnails Supercharger-p30700152.jpg  
Old 03-07-2008, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

wet traction

I actually have an extra set of rims and tires (carlsson Uls 19s with GSD3s) for really wet weather.

Out here in cali its mostly sunny anyways. If you get a lot of rain ... I do not suggestion using Rcompound tires (ex. Cups, Toyo Proxes RA1, Yoko A048). They are horrible in the wet. I drive like a grandmother if I have my cup tires on in the rain.

No idea on the rims you have ... maybe from a AMG C class or old AMG SLK?
Old 03-07-2008, 02:18 PM

SLK55 AMG
How do the GSD3s roll on dry pavement for you?
Old 03-07-2008, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

not bad

cheaper than michelin pilot sports ... dry grip seems comparable, more of a rounded corner than the michelins(good in case you were rubbing), noisier than the michelins and they actually seem better in the wet.

The noise is minimally louder but the reality is we drive a freaking convertible. There are plenty of noises already!

Of course in comparison my Cups are a LOT noisier than the GSD3s.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
Originally Posted by SLK55R
cheaper than michelin pilot sports ... dry grip seems comparable, more of a rounded corner than the michelins(good in case you were rubbing), noisier than the michelins and they actually seem better in the wet.

The noise is minimally louder but the reality is we drive a freaking convertible. There are plenty of noises already!

Of course in comparison my Cups are a LOT noisier than the GSD3s.
............Anyone tried Toyo R888 or RA1 on the street in the rain? They are supposed to be rain day tires on the track. Not sure how they perform on the street in the rain.

Ted
Old 03-07-2008, 04:34 PM

2007 Escalade EXT, Stealth TT 600 AWHP
I can recommend you to a Kleemann dealer in Virginia. They do really awesome work. Ill send you a PM with more info.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lotus Elise SLK55
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
............Anyone tried Toyo R888 or RA1 on the street in the rain? They are supposed to be rain day tires on the track. Not sure how they perform on the street in the rain.

Ted
I have not tried the Toyo ones, but did fine with Yokohoma A048 in the rain (without traction control, I might add) and have no problems with my current pilot cups. There should be no problem at all with R888 or RA1 since they are similar to A048 and Pilot Cups, I know plenty of people who drive daily on these tires year around. I only wish they would come in 19's... it looks like pilot cups is the only option for R-compound tires in 19's unfortunately.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:58 PM

2010 C350; 2022 MB GLE350
RE: Kleemann

Kleemann switched from the twin-screw to roots-type supercharger because AutoRotor went out of business. They state the new vendor for the twin-screw wanted too much money, which would've increased the cost of the supercharger kit.

Personally, when I found out Kleemann switched, I dumped the idea of buying a supercharger. Renntech is too pricey for me, and the new "roots-type" charger Kleemann uses is inferior technology (inefficient and generates a lot of heat). A roots supercharger is nothing more than a blower. Period.

Now, if Kleemann cut the price in half, then it might be an okay deal. But the short answer is, if you want to spend the money and do it right, buy Renntech.