SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

command & hi fi options???

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-29-2004, 06:33 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
command & hi fi options???

getting my slk350 in sept (in the UK!), but would like to know more about the command options - i've ordered the harmon kardon hi-fi options, and command option with dvd player but i haven't ordered the cd multi-changer - the reason being i carry loads of cd's in the glovebox anyway, so putting 6 in a changer isn't going to be much use.

the question is: can i use the CD and DVD simultaneously, ie is the music CD in the ****pit?

what is the quality of the cd player in the ****pit like i understand it is part of the "mb 50" package, so i presume its of decent quality when compared to the cd autochanger, which will be a dedicated cd part. i think the worst option would be for a dvd only solution, given that dvd's have a different laser wavelength for playing cd's and dvd's, so the cd laser is invariably of poor quality (that's why your home system, doesn't play cd's quite as well as a dedicated player!)

is there any chance of getting a tv tuner for the command system?? why can i get one for a C class, an E class, an S class and the SL?? why not the slk??

rather tricky questions, but its a bit too deep for my dealer, whos on holiday anyway!!
Old 07-29-2004, 07:42 AM

W210 E320, SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by jono_2000
the question is: can i use the CD and DVD simultaneously, ie is the music CD in the ****pit?
With COMAND, the navigation system has its own DVD drive in the boot.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:58 AM
Almost a Member!

yes, but.....

just found out that the slk command system has no fewer than 2 dvd players in the car, one in the boot and one in the dashboard... which does make me ask questions about the CD player quality.
Old 07-29-2004, 03:04 PM

SL500
I've always been a bit unsure of the physics here - how will the different wavelengths of laser affect the reading of digital data from a CD/DVD? I know its done for density etc. reasons, the principle of reading data doesn't change does it?

If this was true, then surely the data on a CD would have potential errors when read in a DVD player - this is clearly not the case. Not sure how there can be any loss of data when reading the disc - it just wouldn't work.

Also if the hood is as well built as my 2003 SL, then the rattles should drown out any differences in laser quality

Out of interest, where are you buying and whats the waiting list.
I'm around #3 at my dealer for an SLK55 (London).
Old 07-31-2004, 06:32 AM
Almost a Member!

SLK55 AMG
Can anybody confirm that COMAND reads/plays .mp3 files? There is no mention in the UK spec book that it does?
Old 07-31-2004, 07:41 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NastyAluQuadra
I've always been a bit unsure of the physics here - how will the different wavelengths of laser affect the reading of digital data from a CD/DVD? I know its done for density etc. reasons, the principle of reading data doesn't change does it?

(London).
Yes the data is vastly improved by not having to compete with engine noise, poor interior acoustics and misplaced speaker locations.

It's a car not a cinema.
Old 07-31-2004, 09:27 AM

SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by Marky-Mark
Can anybody confirm that COMAND reads/plays .mp3 files? There is no mention in the UK spec book that it does?
did you get the asnwer? I was going to ask the same thing, if it can read mp3 files
Old 08-02-2004, 04:06 PM

2005 MB SLK 55 AMG
Smile mp3

I can only speak for the German Spec car: The Command mp3 'decoder' is an optional item; this might be different for the US (though I haven't heard) but I assume (again, I don't know!) that the UK, trying at least to be a little bit European ;-) , will have the same spec, i.e. I would ask your dealer if there is an option for mp3 decoding available for order.

Note that the head-unit doesn't change (for all i know, it's a software update), and the mp3 option is ONLY AVAILABLE with the 'big screen' command III DVD version (not the 'small screen, nav unit without maps). Finally, the option has been availalbe on Command III, in Germany, starting only very recently (July!). An SLK 200k I drove in June did not play mp3.

Cheers,
Dan.
Old 08-05-2004, 11:50 AM
Almost a Member!

SLK55 AMG
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SLK55_AMG
did you get the asnwer? I was going to ask the same thing, if it can read mp3 files

SLK55 AMG,

I have just called MB UK this afternoon who believed that the SLK55 AMG would be fitted with the latest generation COMAND system and therefore should play/read .mp3 files. They are going to e-mail the technical department and seek confirmation of this in writing. I will let you know when I get something in writing.

Rgds

Marky-Mark
Old 08-12-2004, 02:02 PM
Almost a Member!

sept delivery...

nasty:

i've got the slk350 and they say mid sept for delivery and i was number 8 or 9 in the deposits list, apparently. going for the factory collection option.

decided against the AMG version, on account of it being 15grand extra for 0.5 seconds 0-60 difference (less if i use optimax...) and i can't remember the last time i did 155 on the open road!

went for the cubanite and the dusky red interior - and too many options, although not parking radar (they ruin the bumper look!) and cd changer, and luxury climate control 'cos i wasn't paying £425 for a digital readout and pollen filter!!

what delivery time are they quoting for the amg version?
Old 08-12-2004, 02:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jono_2000
nasty:

i've got the slk350 and they say mid sept for delivery and i was number 8 or 9 in the deposits list, apparently. going for the factory collection option.

decided against the AMG version, on account of it being 15grand extra for 0.5 seconds 0-60 difference (less if i use optimax...) and i can't remember the last time i did 155 on the open road!

went for the cubanite and the dusky red interior - and too many options, although not parking radar (they ruin the bumper look!) and cd changer, and luxury climate control 'cos i wasn't paying £425 for a digital readout and pollen filter!!

what delivery time are they quoting for the amg version?

I dont know who your salesperson is but I have no idea what you just said. Luxury Climate Control is the digital readout version. Parking sensors are meant to prevent your bumper from having its look ruined. And $15 grand buys a lot more than 0.5 seconds. Steering wheel, suspension, rims, tyres, body kit, engine mods, more grunt and better leather. Hardly a small upgrade.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:16 PM

SL500
I think jono meant he's not going for the luxo climate. Me neither - waste of cash. Parktronic is pretty good - I always get it. On mercs it looks ok. It always spoils the look of 911s and Boxsters though.

I'm being quoted as getting one of the earliest cars, around March. I thought it would be a bit earlier, as Jan production seems possible. The AMG cars are quite special - the 0.5 secs thing is a bit irrelevant, but I'm fairly sure it will feel 10times more special than a stock 350.

I can't figure if there are long waiting lists for the AMG or not. Some say 200+ orders (which is probably a years worth of UK build), but then again if I ordered from abroad I could still probably get one early 05. Don't know. Still investigating....
Old 08-13-2004, 05:15 AM
Almost a Member!

SLK55 AMG
I must admit I had to think long and hard about whether to go for the SLK55 AMG. Have you guys driven other AMG Merc's? I have and they are far superior to the standard cars, I can only recommend tying out standard models against AMG models.

I have been formally notified that I currently stand as Number 11 in the UK SLK55 AMG delivery list and that my car is scheduled to arrive at my dealership in mid-February, however, I will not register the car until 1st March '05.

This is my final spec:

1. (Iridium Silver), 2. Airscarf, 3. Cupholders, 4. Folding Exterior Mirrors, 5. Luxury Climate Control, 6. Parktronic, 7. Rain sensing wipers, 8. Remote control for roof op, 9. Auto dimming rear-view mirror, 10. Tyre pressure loss warning system, 11. COMAND, 12. Harmon/Kardon stereo upgrade, 13. CD changer - 6 disc, 14. Telephone pre-wiring, 15. telephone cradle.

Justification: 2. Appears to be a 'must-have' option in buying public's view; 4. Avoids having a blank/dummy switch behind electric-mirror adjuster; 5. Seriously rated by all motoring journalists and personally trialled in new C-Class; 6. Again, avoids having a cheap-looking blank/dummy switch/button on centre console; 7. & 8. Negligible cost on a car like this; 9. I personally do a lot of driving in the dark; 10. Negligible cost on a car like this; 11. Dealer advised option on a range-topping Merc (in-line with other AMG models); 12. I'm a music lover!; 13. Still to be confirmed (awaiting confirmation from MB as to whether or not COMAND will play/read .mp3 files); 14. & 15. Will optimise use of COMAND.

Only 5 months or so to wait, lol!

Rgds

Marky-Mark

Last edited by Marky-Mark; 08-13-2004 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-13-2004, 08:31 AM

Marky-Mark, I think your option choice is sensible. I would go for the same.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:43 PM

SL500
I can't flaw your logic Mark. I had a C32AMG for a while, and they do feel much more special than a stock merc.

I did spec the luxo climate on the C32 though and feel it was a bit pointless. It make the interior look better, as with some of your other points, but I'm inclined to think "f**k it" to be honest.

Your points on the cheap options are valid too, but I can tell you I have the remote roof on my SL, and you'll never use it in a practical sense. It works by IR and you have to keep your finger on the button so its not as convenient as using the switch in the car. Having said that people who don't know better will want to have it, cos it sounds cool.

COMAND and the Phone options are must haves though - really great options.

Airscarf might blow over though, as pointless as the massage/cooled seats on an SL - no-one really gives a fig.
Old 08-24-2004, 04:15 PM
Almost a Member!

SLK55 AMG
Thumbs up .mp3's and COMAND

Folks! Just to let you know that I received a letter from MB today, it is confirmation from the technical department that the latest COMAND system available for the new SLK does play/read DVD's and .mp3's! Most excellent!

Rgds

Marky-Mark

PS - My salesman requested my spec yesterday... I've submitted it, adding Parameter Steering and changing the interior colour from Dusky Red/Black to Black.

Last edited by Marky-Mark; 08-24-2004 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:01 PM

SL500
Cool. You speccing it already? Thats early.

Is the dealer just being keen or do you have a specified production week?

Interior colour choice sensible too. Red is tempting but risky come resale. Did you consider the grey/black?
Old 08-26-2004, 11:56 PM

06 320E CDI, Porsche 911 C2, Pontiac Montana
Folks! Just to let you know that I received a letter from MB today, it is confirmation from the technical department that the latest COMAND system available for the new SLK does play/read DVD's and .mp3's! Most excellent!

Rgds

Marky-Mark

PS - My salesman requested my spec yesterday... I've submitted it, adding Parameter Steering and changing the interior colour from Dusky Red/Black to Black.
There is a hidden menu that shows various options for the COMAND unit. It appears to be the same unit in the 171, 240 and 211.

And most definetly it can play cd's and DVD mp3 files. I have a '05 211 for a couple of months.
Old 08-27-2004, 06:57 AM
Almost a Member!

SLK55 AMG
Originally Posted by NastyAluQuadra
Cool. You speccing it already? Thats early.

Is the dealer just being keen or do you have a specified production week?

Interior colour choice sensible too. Red is tempting but risky come resale. Did you consider the grey/black?

Yes, I have formally submitted my spec. I have been formally advised by MB that I am No. 11 for UK delivery of SLK55 AMG. My sentiments entirely on dusky red interior, Nasty. I did consider grey/black interior but I have a Quicktime Player file on my PC which shows the interior of an SLK55 AMG (Iridium Silver) with black interior... it looks mighty fine having just the two colours feature in/on the car - black and silver. My car's production week is due in early/mid-December... just making sure I'm there or there abouts!

Rgds

Marky-Mark

PS - My bro's just taken delivery of a C230 Kompressor (saloon) with COMAND... there is a video button on the COMAND console but it does not play DVD or mp3's.
Old 08-27-2004, 01:41 PM

SLK55 AMG
SLK55 AMG,

I have just called MB UK this afternoon who believed that the SLK55 AMG would be fitted with the latest generation COMAND system and therefore should play/read .mp3 files. They are going to e-mail the technical department and seek confirmation of this in writing. I will let you know when I get something in writing.

Rgds

Marky-Mark
Thank you for your effort!
Old 12-29-2004, 04:16 AM

SLK 200 (R171); SLK200 (R170)
Yes! My SLK (delivered oct 2004) with the new comand plays MP3 files. And it works great. You can use folders and you can even create DVD's with MP3 files. So who needs a disc changer? On a single DVD you can put 75 normal CD's (decoded into MP3-files).

Last edited by Hari.Seldon; 12-29-2004 at 04:21 AM.
Old 12-30-2004, 12:03 PM
Almost a Member!

2006 SLK 55 AMG
Does the NAV system play DVD video?

Hey all,

This may be a stupid question, but does the DVD NAV system also play DVD Video (ie. can I put in a DVD movie and will it play it?)

Thanks.

-AGM
Old 12-30-2004, 03:36 PM

2005 MB SLK 55 AMG
not in the us...

The Nav DVD only take Nav DVDs. However, IF you have the 320 entertainment system, the in-dash player is in fact a DVD player. However, the DVD Video function is not enabled in North America (it works on german spec models). So, you can use a DVD for mp3 or audio, but not Video. Apparently a new head-unit is neccessary to make it work in NA, rather than just a software upgrade.
D