SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

SLK55 Supercharger

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 1.00 average.

Old 08-15-2004, 04:25 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 SLK 55 AMG
Question SLK55 Supercharger

I've got two SLK 55 AMG's schedules for February 2005 delivery (I'm in Canada.. so I think we get screwed a bit on the delivery). One is mine, the other is for my business partner.

My question is, to anyone's knowledge, are there any performance upgrades that may be done? We currently have two 2003 SLK 320's, so understanding the significant increase in HP and torque of the 55's, I can already appreciate the speed... however, specifically, I'm curious if there is a supercharger that one could purchase. If so, from where? What is the cost? How much HP and/or torque would it add?

Thanks guys!
Old 08-15-2004, 08:49 AM

Mercedes-Benz A170 CDI
http://www.carlsson.de/en/tuning/slk/r171/motor/01.html
Old 08-15-2004, 05:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SLK55 AMG
even brabus got it! the best thing is to leave your car bone stock!

its already powerful, adding just a supercharger wont do good, unless, you change everything!
Old 08-15-2004, 05:57 PM
Almost a Member!

2006 SLK 55 AMG
Arrow Brabus supercharger?

Originally Posted by SLK55_AMG
even brabus got it! the best thing is to leave your car bone stock!

its already powerful, adding just a supercharger wont do good, unless, you change everything!
Brabus has it? Granted I don't know a whole lot about this, but I see the Brabus B 55 S, which would elude to a supercharged engine, but only puts out 390 HP, so it couldn't be.

Then there's the Brabus 6.1S, which gives the HP you would expect from a supercharger, but also changes the size of the engine, so I suspect this is a more comprenhensive upgrade than just "adding a supercharger".

When you say it's not really worth it, what is your rational for that comment? Is it due to the fact that, in your own opinion, the 55 AMG has enough power, or do you feel the value per HP on an aftermarket supercharger is low, and therefore not economically worth it?

Thanks for your thought, I look forward to your reply.

-Andrew
Old 08-15-2004, 07:02 PM

Mercedes-Benz A170 CDI
Superchargers put a great deal of stress on the engine and the ensuing parts, like transmission and axles and driveshafts etc. etc. The SLK55 wasn't built to take the extra stresses a supercharger and additional strengthening will impose/require.

The Carlsson supercharger is your best bet. The Brabus conversion will cost too much and a 6.1 engine with additional reinforcements will add extra nose weight, a big no no for such a little car.

You get 480hp and 650NM I think, coupled with 7G tronic, it should possibly keep up with or beat the SL55, due to its power to weight ratio. However I don't think the transmission could cope, its limit is 600NM in each of the gears. Plus engine longevity will greatly suffer as will fuel consumption. If you risk blowing up your engine, a new one will cost in the order of 35-40K dollars.

Personally, I wouldn't do it. Its not that the cost is too much or anything, its more to do with engine longevity than anything else. The SLK55 is a performance car, any additional stresses on the engine and co. components could cost a lot and warranty won't cover it since you have done a very technical mod.

But at the end of the day, your money, your car.
Old 08-15-2004, 07:34 PM
Almost a Member!

2006 SLK 55 AMG
Arrow Carlsson

Originally Posted by Bilal
Superchargers put a great deal of stress on the engine and the ensuing parts, like transmission and axles and driveshafts etc. etc. The SLK55 wasn't built to take the extra stresses a supercharger and additional strengthening will impose/require.

The Carlsson supercharger is your best bet. The Brabus conversion will cost too much and a 6.1 engine with additional reinforcements will add extra nose weight, a big no no for such a little car.

You get 480hp and 650NM I think, coupled with 7G tronic, it should possibly keep up with or beat the SL55, due to its power to weight ratio. However I don't think the transmission could cope, its limit is 600NM in each of the gears. Plus engine longevity will greatly suffer as will fuel consumption. If you risk blowing up your engine, a new one will cost in the order of 35-40K dollars.

Personally, I wouldn't do it. Its not that the cost is too much or anything, its more to do with engine longevity than anything else. The SLK55 is a performance car, any additional stresses on the engine and co. components could cost a lot and warranty won't cover it since you have done a very technical mod.

But at the end of the day, your money, your car.
Do you think Carlsson would warranty any damage cause by their modifications? It seems to me that if they are going to market a product, they would of done the research into ensuring it is compatible with the car's configuration and therefore will stand by it.

Just a thought.

Thanks!

-Andrew
Old 08-15-2004, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Andrew, no offense to anyone who has responded to this thread thus far, but their responses are off base. While an SC will add additional stress to the engine and transmission, MBs are built with significant redundancy in their critical components. The transmissions used on the 55s can handle up to 700 hp and a low boost SC can definitely be added to the 55. It will create some traction issues off the line and an LSD would probably be a good upgrade if you like taking your car to the track, however, the additional power is definitely usable and will make mince meat out of a stock 55.

Carlsson is definitely a reputable tuner, however, I reccomend the Kleemann SC system. SCs are definitely their expertise. They aren't that cheap, but there are quite a few MB world members, including me, who will attest to incredible performance and reliability offered by their systems. Ther obviously always risks involved in tuning, however, I have yet to talk to anyone with a Kleemann SCed 5.5. liter MB who has had any problems.

I have 2 tuned MBs and am considering building a Kleemann SCed SLK55 or C55 as my next daily driver. I'm not into roadsters, but the thought of a 500+ hp SLK55 has me reconsidering. I think it would make for the ultimate MB roadster.... maybe not as pretty as the SL, but certainly not the pig the SL is either.
Old 08-16-2004, 03:43 AM
Almost a Member!

Why don't you wait until the new 4 valve 5.5L is released in the SLK in approx 12 months time. That will have 408hp and variable camshaft timing like the 3.5L V6 so the torque and HP should be good throughout the rev range.
Old 08-16-2004, 03:54 AM
Almost a Member!

2006 SLK 55 AMG
Arrow Rumor?

Originally Posted by JohnSLK
Why don't you wait until the new 4 valve 5.5L is released in the SLK in approx 12 months time. That will have 408hp and variable camshaft timing like the 3.5L V6 so the torque and HP should be good throughout the rev range.
I was under the impression this release was just a rumor with no evidence to base it on..?

-Andrew
Old 08-16-2004, 04:01 AM
Almost a Member!

2006 SLK 55 AMG
Arrow Thanks!

Originally Posted by Sleestack
Andrew, no offense to anyone who has responded to this thread thus far, but their responses are off base. While an SC will add additional stress to the engine and transmission, MBs are built with significant redundancy in their critical components. The transmissions used on the 55s can handle up to 700 hp and a low boost SC can definitely be added to the 55. It will create some traction issues off the line and an LSD would probably be a good upgrade if you like taking your car to the track, however, the additional power is definitely usable and will make mince meat out of a stock 55.

Carlsson is definitely a reputable tuner, however, I reccomend the Kleemann SC system. SCs are definitely their expertise. They aren't that cheap, but there are quite a few MB world members, including me, who will attest to incredible performance and reliability offered by their systems. Ther obviously always risks involved in tuning, however, I have yet to talk to anyone with a Kleemann SCed 5.5. liter MB who has had any problems.

I have 2 tuned MBs and am considering building a Kleemann SCed SLK55 or C55 as my next daily driver. I'm not into roadsters, but the thought of a 500+ hp SLK55 has me reconsidering. I think it would make for the ultimate MB roadster.... maybe not as pretty as the SL, but certainly not the pig the SL is either.
Thank you for your well thought out answer. Do you happen to know what price range a SC would run me? Does it have to be installed by the manufacturer or can I have it installed locally here? Also, do you know if something like this can be put on, and still leave the car under MB warranty?

I'm from Canada, so this is my delima.

Thanks again!

-Andrew
Old 08-16-2004, 04:53 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by AndrewM
I was under the impression this release was just a rumor with no evidence to base it on..?

-Andrew
There is no official release from MB... they don't want to spoil their market from the current SLK. So I guess it will remain a rumour until we see it on the spec sheet of the MB website.

MB have stated that they are moving to 4 valve techology and have done so with the 3.5L V6 however they are still offering some models with the 3 valve V6s for an interim period. MB have announced also announced that they are moving away from superchargers. Many "rumours" exist about the naturally asperated 4 valve V8s, a 4.6L, a 5.5L with 408hp and a 6.3L with 500hp which is meant to replace the current supercharged 5.5L V8.

Some say the 6.3L engine will not be able to match the performance of the supercharged 5.5L, will be interesting to see (how can MB go backwards?), the 6.3L has a few much cubic inches and variable cam timing to fill out the torque curve.

I assume the 4 valve 5.5L SLK will be released after the 4 valve 6.3L SL or the SLK would probarly be faster than the SL.

Time will tell.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:57 AM
Almost a Member!

Andrew, no offense to anyone who has responded to this thread thus far ....

but certainly not the pig the SL is either.
Are you selective about who you offend?
Old 08-16-2004, 05:02 AM
Almost a Member!

2006 SLK 55 AMG
Arrow *******s :)

There is no official release from MB... they don't want to spoil their market from the current SLK. So I guess it will remain a rumour until we see it on the spec sheet of the MB website.

MB have stated that they are moving to 4 valve techology and have done so with the 3.5L V6 however they are still offering some models with the 3 valve V6s for an interim period. MB have announced also announced that they are moving away from superchargers. Many "rumours" exist about the naturally asperated 4 valve V8s, a 4.6L, a 5.5L with 408hp and a 6.3L with 500hp which is meant to replace the current supercharged 5.5L V8.

Some say the 6.3L engine will not be able to match the performance of the supercharged 5.5L, will be interesting to see (how can MB go backwards?), the 6.3L has a few much cubic inches and variable cam timing to fill out the torque curve.

I assume the 4 valve 5.5L SLK will be released after the 4 valve 6.3L SL or the SLK would probarly be faster than the SL.

Time will tell.
I appreciate the information. I guess, however, that if we keep "waiting for the next best thing", we'll never own anything

I'll keep trying to figure out what, if anything, I should modify on this vehicle.

So far, the only things I'm considering are:

#1) Chrome head bar (roll bar thing)... like the ones Brabus is famous for.

#2) Supercharger.. what brand I don't know. This depends on price, if it can be installed locally or only at the distributor, if only at the distributor, where they are, and if Mercedes will still warranty the car with it.

#3) Wing doors.. Again, this depends on price, if it can be installed locally or only at the distributor, if only at the distributor, where they are, and if Mercedes will still warranty the car with it.

Ahh, the downsides of living in Regina, Saskatchewan (Canada).

-Andrew
Old 08-16-2004, 05:33 AM

Mercedes-Benz A170 CDI
I think so they should. You should call and ask Carlsson or their Canadian/US distributor.
Old 08-16-2004, 06:01 AM
Almost a Member!

I appreciate the information. I guess, however, that if we keep "waiting for the next best thing", we'll never own anything

-Andrew
Your right and it's a beautiful car... stock or modified... have fun!

I am working overseas so i am forced to wait for 18 months :-(
Old 08-16-2004, 06:55 AM

W210 E320, SLK55 AMG
I read in Autocar that the 408bhp version of the engine would debut in the new C class in '06 or '07. If that's the case, hardly worth waiting years for.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:00 AM
Almost a Member!

2006 SLK 55 AMG
Arrow Half a lifetime away...

Originally Posted by steve-p
I read in Autocar that the 408bhp version of the engine would debut in the new C class in '06 or '07. If that's the case, hardly worth waiting years for.
Absolutely. That means, if we're lucky, we'll see it in the SL '07 or '08, then the SLK '08 or '09 (maybe '10). Ok, I feel better now I'm sure by then we'll be ready for a change

Thanks for your post!

-Andrew
Old 08-16-2004, 09:01 AM
Almost a Member!

2006 SLK 55 AMG
Wink That's no fair

Your right and it's a beautiful car... stock or modified... have fun!

I am working overseas so i am forced to wait for 18 months :-(
We'll that's not any fair. You would think that they would at least give you one to drive over there!

-Andrew
Old 08-16-2004, 10:50 AM
Almost a Member!

2006 SLK 55 AMG
Exclamation Kleemann Supercharger Pricing and Warranty Answers

Hey all,

I've been contacting a lot of these manufacturers and figured I would pass my findings on.

The Kleemann supercharger is $11,000.00 plus install ($1500-$2000).

In my e-mail to them, I asked the following questions:

1) What is the cost?
2) Where in Canada can it be purchased/installed?
3) Does Mercedes still warranty the cars after the upgrade has been performed?

This was their response:

"Andrew-

Thank you for contacting KLEEMANN USA! The KLEEMANN kompressor system for the SLK55 is priced at $11,000.00 plus installation. Installation
typically runs in the $1500-$2000 range, depending on which authorized
dealer you choose. We currently have one authorized KLEEMANN dealer in
Canada by the name of Slavatore Motorports located in Montreal. You can
find a complete list of authorized dealers by following this link:

http://www.kleemann.dk/contacts/l_usa.htm

The KLEEMANN kompressor system utilizes a twin-screw, Lysholm type
helical supercharger, mated to a patented air to water intercooler. Our SC
unit and intercooler assembly is integrated into the intake manifold and
fits neatly into the "V" of the engine for a factory looking installation.
The intercooler uses an independent cooling circuit and uses it's own
radiator mounted in front of the engine's radiator, behind the bumper. Fuel
is handled via a mechanical increase in fuel pressure, referenced by boost
pressure. We have reliably seen 530 HP and 510 TQ at the crank with the
addition of our kompressor system. Typically, the car will make between 418
and 425 HP at the rear wheels on a Dynojet dyno.

According to the fine print in the MB warranty, whenever power is
increase by more than 10%, your drivetrain warranty will be void. There is
however a law which was designed to protect you against that type of denial:
The Magnuson-Moss act states that it is illegal for a dealer or manufacturer
to void you warranty due to the presence of an aftermarket part. The burden
of proof lies on the dealer, in that if there is some type of failure, the
dealer must prove that the supercharger caused the failure to legally deny
you warranty service. To date, KLEEMANN USA has had zero engine or
transmission failures. In most cases, warranty issues depend greatly on the
relationship you have with your local dealership. The warranty for
everything other than the drivetrain will still be honored, as the SC
installation has nothing to do with say the electrical system, or the
interior parts, suspension, etc.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns and
thank you again for contacting KLEEMANN USA!"

- Andrew
Old 08-16-2004, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Are you selective about who you offend?
No, my point was simply to say that I disagree with some of the other responses in this thread, but meant no offense. Calling the SL a pig shouldn't offend anyone... it is. It is a gorgeous car, and extremely fast, but somewhat one dimensional in terms of perfromance (as are most MBs). In the SLK55, I see an opportunity to create a high powered MB roadster that not only goes fast, but handles like a sports car.
Old 08-17-2004, 02:56 PM

2005 SLK55 2003 Acura MDX
FINALY! Someone agreeing with me and talking about the upcoming 410bhp 5.5L 4valves per cylinder V8! Yes, I think too that it will be in the SLK in about a year! It will be as awesome or even more awesome as when the current 5.5L first appeared! The engine is built 100%! It will probably appear in the CLS first (Motortrend and Road and Track) very soon. MB will not make two parallel engines for long! Think about the cost!

I have ordered a SLK55 and will get it by November 04. But I have put a subject to cancel the deal at any time. I will almost for certain wait for the new engine, unless I get concrete evidence that it won't make it in the SLK for another 2-3 years.

I have a C36 right now. And about six month after I bought this car the C43 came out! Before the C43 came out everybody laughed at me when I suggested that MB was going to put a V8 and the 5 speed in the C Class!

Let me know of anything new regarding the new5.5L.

Thanks

Last edited by Teufel; 08-17-2004 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-17-2004, 03:25 PM

I like your reasons but I think your conclusion is wrong!

"The 6.3L engine will not be able to match the performance of the supercharged 5.5L". Or just may be equal it at the very best! "I assume the 4 valve 5.5L SLK will be released after the 4 valve 6.3L SL or the SLK would probably be faster than the SL". Therefore it doesn't matter when the 4 valve 5.5 SLK is released! Because IF (?) the 4 valve 5.5L SLK (410 bhp?) is faster than the supercharged 5.5L SL, it will be faster than the 6.3L SL as well!

I am just trying to avoid the temptation of buying a SLK55 right now and wait for the 4 valve SLK!

Time will tell.
Old 08-17-2004, 03:51 PM

I live in Vancouver (BC) and have owned a C36 since 1996 and my family members and friends own/owned MBs as well. I just have an advice for you: Don't change anything! Anything goes wrong they blame you for it. Belive me I am talking from experience, way too many! On many cases I (or my friends) even had lawyers involved but I (they) had to drop the cases because I (they) would not have been able to even collect the legal fees! You know how it is here in Canada, no huge punitive damages like in States! CAMVAP (dealer’s arbitration) is BS as well! And relationship/history doesn’t mean anything here. At one point my father had a new 600 SEL and my mother had a new 600SL and I had the C36. Therefore when I get my new SLK55 I won't touch a thing or give them any reason to BS me!

Good Luck

I'll keep trying to figure out what, if anything, I should modify on this vehicle.

So far, the only things I'm considering are:

#1) Chrome head bar (roll bar thing)... like the ones Brabus is famous for.

#2) Supercharger.. what brand I don't know. This depends on price, if it can be installed locally or only at the distributor, if only at the distributor, where they are, and if Mercedes will still warranty the car with it.

#3) Wing doors.. Again, this depends on price, if it can be installed locally or only at the distributor, if only at the distributor, where they are, and if Mercedes will still warranty the car with it.

Ahh, the downsides of living in Regina, Saskatchewan (Canada).

-Andrew
Old 08-18-2004, 01:14 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by Teufel

"The 6.3L engine will not be able to match the performance of the supercharged 5.5L".

I did not say that, you have chopped up my orginal text and miss quoted me. I did say how can MB go backwards, pls read my post again.

The SLK55 with either the 3 or 4 valve V8 will be a solid performer, good luck with whichever you choose.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:33 AM
Almost a Member!

No, my point was simply to say that I disagree with some of the other responses in this thread, but meant no offense. Calling the SL a pig shouldn't offend anyone... it is. It is a gorgeous car, and extremely fast, but somewhat one dimensional in terms of perfromance (as are most MBs). In the SLK55, I see an opportunity to create a high powered MB roadster that not only goes fast, but handles like a sports car.
Sleestack with regards to the SL i assume that your pig reference refers to the weigh of around 1900kgs. If so i agree with you it's just too heavy. For me it's disappointing that MB who constantly claim to have superoir techology build such a heavy beast. The new Jag XJ8 is about 1600kgs and the yet to be released new XK8 Jag will probarly be about 1550kgs, both use aluminum. There is scope for MB to do alot better.

Yes the SL may be fast but in my mind it is way to heavy to be a objective of admiration for a techo car nut point of view.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: SLK55 Supercharger