SLK55 (R171) 2004 - 2010: SLK200K, SLK280, SLK350, SLK55, SLK55 Black Series

M3 vs. SLK55????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M3 vs. SLK55????

I own an 04' M3 Convertible and am very interested in purchasing the SLK55... Please give your thoughts on a comparison between the two!! Thanx!!
Old 09-15-2004, 06:25 AM

987S
Originally Posted by Rachmunas4Life
I own an 04' M3 Convertible and am very interested in purchasing the SLK55... Please give your thoughts on a comparison between the two!! Thanx!!
The SLK55 will be faster & rarer compared to an M3 but they are very different cars so beyond that its probably difficult to compare them.

What will be more important is what you want from a car....... if you want something half practical the SLK is not for you as you'll miss the M3s extra storage and seats. If you want raw power and handling that should be as good as the M3 with some added luxury and exclusivity thrown in the SLK55 could be exactly what you are looking for.

For me any car I consider is ranked by driver involvement first, handling second, outright performance third, luxuries fourth and image/badge last.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:54 PM

SLK32
I could go look and see if there are times from the SLK55 around Hockenheim and compare them to the M3 but I am feeling lazy. So I will just provide my thoughts. Straight line I am going to give the nod to the SLK55, unless you have a great driver and a strong manual M3. Around a track I think the M3 will win.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:01 PM

M3 Sucks!!!

Originally Posted by Rachmunas4Life
The new SLK55 looks like a vision SLR from the front. That's what you want to buy. The girls will go crazy..
Old 09-19-2004, 03:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The SLK55 will be a much closer competitor to the M3 and mags have said the new SLK is a blast to drive, nicer steering, suspension and chasis balance.
The M3 cab is also, tough choice between the two

I would go for the SLK55 because it is relatively newer than the M3. The new M3 cab won't be out for a few more years

my 2 c
Old 09-19-2004, 03:11 AM
Almost a Member!

E320
You tend to feel very cramped in the new SLK; I've been hearing that complaint from people who are 5'4" to 6'10". I feel the same way, and I used to own a MINI! The interior also feels and looks similar to that of the C-Class, which is still better looking than the interior of the M3 IMO. The automatic metallic hard-top is also much, much better than what's available for the old M3 Convertibles. On the other hand, I prefer the handling of the M3, it's far more comfortable due to the increased amount of "shoulder room", there is far more storage availability and it's overall far more practical. Also, you can drive the M3 as a real sports car (Manual) while the SLK55 (like all AMGs) are only available as an automatic.

I would take the SLK55 as a fun "weekend car" if your area has some nice roads with a view which you can enjoy while taking your car to its limits. However, I would HIGHLY recommend the M3 in comparison as a "daily driver" due to the increased room, comfort, and storing capability.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS55 AMG & RRS S/C
hi im new to this board and this is my first post.

ive been driving the m3 cab for a few years now and am condsidering a change to the slk55. its hard to compare the 2 cars when i havent seen or driven the other yet. but i do want to get rid of the m3 already. theres too many around now and the new 3 series will be out soon so that means a new m3 as well.
personally i dont like the way bmw has gone with their styling now and i really love the route benz has taken. interior and exterior. i also love how these amg cars have so much torque. my main gripe about the m cars is their lack of torque. i guess it comes down to wat u want in a car. if u r gonna use it a lot at the track then from my experience the m cars handle much much better than the amg cars on the track. but as a spirited daily driver, the benz takes the cake.
my only worry is that the slk will look too small and feminine. i like the size and look of the current m3 nice and beefy. the slk55 is quite beefy and muscular looking but still a small car. i checked the measurements and its size is almost identical to the Z4. i guess ill have to see it in person. but i would definately supercharge this car if i get it. hehe
Old 09-28-2004, 03:13 AM

2003 BMW M3 convertible
M3 vs. AMG55

I also currently drive a 2003 M3 Convertible with SMG Transmission, and I love it so much, but lately I been looking at 2 AMG models, the SLK55 and the E55, I know they are 2 different cars, but I am not sure if I want another convertible, and the limited issue is a big thing for me with the SLK, but I am willing to take suggestions from anyone?
Old 09-28-2004, 11:11 AM

slk55 vs e55

Originally Posted by ImGettinA55
I also currently drive a 2003 M3 Convertible with SMG Transmission, and I love it so much, but lately I been looking at 2 AMG models, the SLK55 and the E55, I know they are 2 different cars, but I am not sure if I want another convertible, and the limited issue is a big thing for me with the SLK, but I am willing to take suggestions from anyone?
We currently have an E55 and we're replacing a vette convertible with the slk350. Wife wanted heated seats and power top NOW!! We plan on replacing the slk350 with either an 06 slk55 or a c6 vette. I have driven the slk350. If someone gave me the choice between the E55 and a slk55 it's a no brainer. The E55 is just an awesome car. I've owned them all (m5,m3,viper,vettes.rs6,etc) but the e55 IMO is superior. Overall this car is pure stealth, which means you can use that awesome acceleration without standing out like a sore thumb ala viper or vette. The handling on the e55 is good but not great. If that's you priority then get a wrx or evo as a toy and still get the e55.